Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Management / Sim City Builders with some combat? [Stronghold/Caesar III]

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Recently picked up Stronghold and Crusader because they were like...3 Huebucks on Steam and MANG what a blast! Now I'm craving for more so...suggestions? I already played Tropico and Caesar III. And yeah, I know about Age of Empires, don't bother mentioning. Currently reinstalling Tropico 4, but...yeah. I want something different.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Knights & Merchants is worth a try if you liked Stronghold/Settlers 2. Its supply chain management has more depth compared to Stronghold, similar to Settlers 2, but unlike Settlers 2, it offers direct unit control like Stronghold and other RTSs of that time.

Be aware though that the game is far slower than Stronghold and generally far more difficult -- which is saying something since Stronghold 1 possesses its fair share of challenging missions as well.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Startopia.
Patrician 3 (or later). It's a trader sim, but it does have some city building.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Grand Ages: Rome.

It even has some RPG elements as you play as a Roman gradually getting promoted in the SPQR. The first few levels are mostly building but combat comes into play much more as you progress. At first it seems a bit simplistic but by the end you'll be thoroughly addicted, although having 40+ levels to complete is a bit much by the end.

There's also an expansion for it, Reign of Augusta, which is much fun as well.

I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I like this entry to the genre & I've played it twice now.

deama

Prophet
Black and white 2? The 2nd one places more emphasis on sim than sandbox, still has combat.

Warrior Kings, although this one is very slow, like, the units take forever to move etc... I'd recommend speedhacking this.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Play the rest of the City Building Series. Pharaoh is what happens when you take Caesar 3 and make it better in every possible way.

Aemar

Arcane

Going to pick it up this week-end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom