Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So secretly (at least the Codexian administration) are probably still rabid fanbois who haven't lost their faith, and are still hoping for some kind of revelation from Obsidian and Microsoft/InXile.
Yeah, right before the end of the world.

Codex needs to change the tag "Decline" to "Gotterdammerung". I think it suits the current RPG apocalypse and general state of the west more. After all: a decline suggests a possible incline, like an upside down bellcurve.

KK1001

Arbiter
capitalism itself is at the core of why games are shit; and voting with your wallet is useless when there are 10 idiots out there who will chip in and one dumbass whale who will dump his paycheck.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Multiplayer fantasy combat games such as dota2 have made combat-centric RPGs obselete
I unironically believe this
They came close imo. Not triggering. I play arguably the best MOBA and it is pretty amazing. It has resists and stats and stuff that is very RPG-ish, it is certainly as much of an RPG as shit like Skyrim is. It is simplified a lot though because each character only gets around 4 abilities/spells. There is still synergy but you have to do it with real people. But my reason for saying they came close is not so much that there is depth because there isn't as much as say Pathfinder. But the fact that combat is extremely intense, demanding, accurate, skill based, yet also tactical too, it makes most other games seem boring and dimwitted. How someone can play something like Skyrim which seems so lethargic in comparison, is beyond me. You trudge around in slow motion, squirting your one spell... Occasionally you switch to a second spell which pauses the whole game. A good MOBA is infinitely better than that.

But a tactical RPG will always be too different to ever be in competition. But I see a future, probably after I'm dead... where games combine the best of both worlds. As much depth as a true cRPG, but with the real time intense action of a MOBA. It would also be in a big world, not just a 'map' like all mobas currently exist. I can imagine how it could work, but gaming progresses so slowly now, I think it will be at least 20 years until someone makes a game like I have in mind.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
What kind of claim is this?
books have made stories in RPGs obsolete
Books are better than RPGs for predetermined word-heavy stories.
Multiplayer games are better than singleplayer for strategy/tactics, why would you want to compete against an AI/script? Lame.

That leaves two niches where RPGs perform better than other media - stories that change based on player actions, and portraying a setting that the player can wander around in at their leisure.
Sure, an RPG can still have combat or a linear set-in-stone storyline, but those things are better served in different genres or media, and should probably not be the central focus of the game; the greatest strength of RPGs is portraying settings, and stories that have player choice.

In sum, combatfags should go play dota2!

laclongquan

Arcane
What kind of claim is this?
books have made stories in RPGs obsolete
Books are better than RPGs for predetermined word-heavy stories.
I will chip in to say that RPG can be better than stories in some specific cases.
Case in point: Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1/2, and Icewind Dale 1/2 make me interested in Forgotten Realms setting DESPITE I havent read any official novels of that setting and more likely that NEVER will (I do read some amateurs and I mean real amateur authors writing on that).

Reinhardt

Arcane
Games are better than women. Games dont mind that you have women, or another game.
PkHXBqF.png

Swigen

Arbiter
Diablo 2 and Path of Exile’s socketed items are a weak rip off of Final Fantasy 7’s materia system.

Also, the Japanese perfected the “blobber” genre and beat Wizardry at its own game.

Also, when the Japs decide to focus on isometric RPGs y’all’ll be worshiping at the altar of Shinzo Abe and spouting Japanese epithets all over the board before the codex releases a pretentious article about how “you just don’t get the rich layers of humor in Genshi RPG without a college level understanding of the concepts of mono no aware and mottainai kicking around in your subconscious”.

Also, god bless Japan.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why haven't we had a Marvel RPG yet? I drool at the prospect of a Captain Marvel (with Brie Larson voice-over) in the vein of PST for 2019 where you have to play as an amnesiac stricked female that never smiles, and poses the statement: "I don't need no man to inspire the nature of a woman".
Edit: It should also be Sawyer's vision and masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom