Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hypothetical: RPG around mages

OldNorseSaga

Learned
How does this hypothetical RPG sounds:

1) Class based system
2) multiclassing, prestige classes, subclasses, generic D&D system without being D&D
3) Only mage classes: Cleric, Druid, Bard, Wizard, Sorcerer, Magus, Summoner, Alchemist, etc...
4) game plays with typical D&D party system, up to 6 characters
5) Cleric, Druid, Magus, are battlemages, Bard, Alchemist, maybe even Witch are spellrogues, Wizard, Sorcerer are powernukes
6) Cleric & Druid might be subclasses of Healer archtype, or Druid might be archtype for Summoner, Bard's subclasses might be Charlatan, Blade, Skald...
7) Would you like to play something like this?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You can already do that in a D&D game, so a clone of that would be no different? As in why is what you're suggesting different from just choosing those classes in an existing D&D game?

Or do you mean all the enemies will be that as well, so it's like a huge mage vs mage based campaign?

OldNorseSaga

Learned
You can already do that in a D&D game, so a clone of that would be no different? As in why is what you're suggesting different from just choosing those classes in an existing D&D game?

Or do you mean all the enemies will be that as well, so it's like a huge mage vs mage based campaign?

Well, it's complicated to answer that. I imagine simply a campaign where you use magic to fight enemies similar to Nine Parchments, but more in vein to Baldur's Gate, so not exactly mage vs mage, maybe like Mages of Mystralia game...

Old Hans

Arcane

what if all the mages are in electric wheelchairs

Alkarl

Learned
Why don't you prototype it in Neverwinter Nights, or better yet, GB Unlimited Adventures?
If you've got a knack for coding, I do alot of my prototyping in Python with ascii characters. Really easy to set up scripting when I don't need impressive visuals/ui to convey an experience.

As Incendiary said though, you can already do this in most D&D crpgs. Just build an all mage party. Kudos if you pull this off in Wizardry, though. Any of them really.

Alkarl

Learned
Kudos if you pull this off in Wizardry, though. Any of them really.
I played 2x Priest, 4x Mage through Wizardry 6-8.
Does that count?

I also did the same thing in Might and Magic 1-5.

Yeah, why not? That's one hell of an early game you end up with. Closest I've come is starting everyone as mages and switch most at 3rd level, in Wiz6-8. As far as Might and Magic, I feel its a bit easier than Wizardry, past the first two entries anyway, but hey, good work man. I've actually pulled this off in M&M 6, Sorcerors are so OP in that game.

grom

Educated
Isn't there already an RPG where you play a party of 7 mages? I think it's called 7 Mages.

Ysaye

Arbiter
I think a big problem with this idea is that (as DavidBVal said in the thread on realism in RPGS) the setting and context need to be internally consistent. By what sense can we see a party that contains only Wizards (and the other variants on D&D/SRD arcane spellcasters), Clerics and Druids? Perhaps if the cleric/s are worshippers of a magic deity and are supporting the Wizards in their search for magical knowledge but then where do the druids fit in? Or Wizards supporting some Clerics plan? (say like in the Underdark where there are "house servant" Wizards that support Lolth's High Priestesses). We talk about a "High Magic" setting, but how is that consistent with having nobody doing anything else? I am not saying we can't make a setting that is internally consistent (maybe fighters have become irrelevant because summoning magic is so prevalent?) but it needs to be thought through very carefully because most of what is thrown up so far raises more questions than it answers.

Another problem is that if the game starts with all magic characters at minimum levels, then it tends not to be very fun to play both early on (ever tried playing an all mage/cleric/druid party in a typical D&D setting (say Icewind Dale?)) and late game it sometimes becomes trivial the other way. It also needs a lot of work from a consistency perspective from the story perspective - I can see say a "Circle of Eight Archmagi" doing stuff together for a short period of time (probably after a long heated boardroom discussion), but why would low level mages only band together to go on an adventure, when they are supposedly intelligent enough to know that that will probably not be enough to be of protection?

laclongquan

Arcane
What is the restrictions on mages?

Rest for free or not? As they recover spells/MP by rest, if you have free rest, it mean an easier game.

Spells with material components or not? As they throw spells that are better than slingshot and arrows, if there are no material components, it mean an easier game.

ESPECIALLY when you consider summoners and you can summon helpers for free. Too easy games.

An illustration of such games is Icewind Dale 2/1. YOu can make a casters party and see for yourself. Not that it's not fun (up to a point) but the games become too easy too soon.

deuxhero

Arcane
Several RPGs (mostly those without parties) already have all player characters capable of magic to some degree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom