Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Pegultagol

Erudite
GOG serves a lot of functions in that it claims to be an archive or storefront for many 'good old' classics and made solving compatibility issues in the form of a convenient .exe installation. They had promotions up for sales of the games both old and new and introduced some cool perks like syncing with Steam library and price protection.
No business is perfect but to truly stand out as service I think it needs to really focus on one aspect of service and run away with it. Did GOG excel in a lot of the areas? Not really.

I hoped GOG could get or even outright own more titles that are simply not possible to emulate with DOSbox or some other methods available on the net but only through their own programming and resources to run flawlessly. There's some uniqueness to that many would find it novel, but not really profitable. But I know I will pay the same price adjusted for inflation to get Safedisc infested High Heat Baseball 2001 to run on Win 10. And again for Combat Mission to run without Alt+Tabbing it out and in every goddamn time.

Maybe it just rests on CD Projekt make Cyberpunk 2077 GOG exclusive for a year...Or at least fill the release date with GOG exclusive perks and gifts.

Boleskine

Arcane

Or just get it with 5-6 other games for $12 from Humble Bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

alN7Os4.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
On Humble and subscription models in general - I wouldn't mind one if paying a certain amount monthly would give me the option to play any game on the store without additional payment.

Freddie

Savant
I think part of their problem comes from poor understanding of titles with following. I was really disappointed when they rejected Vigilantes. Rejecting Grimoire was another mistake. While these games are in niche, they have their following willing to buy them and some of us always prefer DRM-free option.

They have showelware issue but too little new really interesting games. They got Phantom Doctrine which was potentially very interesting but turned out to not very good during launch. Having Grimoire and Vigilantes might had helped.

For good old games they don't have, they could try getting Airborne Ranger (Microprose), Buck Roger 'Gold Box' games (SSI), and Strike Fleet (Lucasfilms games / EA). Each has something unique, Airborne Ranger wasn't Commando clone for sure, Buck Rogers games had space battles and Strike Fleet is still waiting for sequel which isn't too ambitious in scale and micro. I don't think any of those alone would be huge seller, but would generate some sales at least.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Problem with Airborne Ranger is that PC version is way inferior compared to Amiga one and there are some legal constraints that stops GOG distributing emulated versions.

Freddie

Savant
Problem with Airborne Ranger is that PC version is way inferior compared to Amiga one and there are some legal constraints that stops GOG distributing emulated versions.

PC version appears to be inferior to Amiga version indeed. I take PC version over nothing at all, but it might be that people who might be willing to purchase are limited to those who played it on C64 or PC for nostalgia. Those who played it on Amiga or ST probably won't bother.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm very surprised they released Diablo. I thought Blizzard would protect their IPs' digital distribution like the purest of virgins.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The Hellfire expansion is missing though, due to that being made and released by Sierra On-Line.
Isn't Sierra in Activision's hands tho?
It's more about expansion pack being made without consent from original creator by other studio and it's not canon offspring that's best forgotten.
Unless you have fetish to wear Bovine Armor

mwnn85

Savant
What we really need is Freeablo to be finished.
It might look dead but I see recent commits on the github site.
wheybags (a factorio dev) and others are chipping away at it.

Never thought we'd see any of Blizzard's games land on GOG.
We're bound to see the lot eventually: Warcraft 1+2+3, Starcraft Classic, Lost Vikings, etc.

Dux

Arcane
Holy shittu. Did not expect this to happen. It bodes well for the future if GOG and the likes of Blizzard can reach deals like this.

:greatjob:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoa nice.

Seems likely this is a result of the recent changes at Blizzard, no? Activision suit: "Why aren't we making money from these old games, morons?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom