Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most over used words in rpg titles

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Awesome thread. We need a bigger sample though.
you mean rpgs that no codexer played/is aware, probably 99% rpg maker stuff? My current solution wont scale to that, would need to implement dictionary usage and in general do stuff that data scientists are getting paid for(if you get the hint).
Sample would be bigger but data would be less meaningful as it wont use known titles. Also if you just go with rpg tag on steam you will get lots of weird stuff. I like title set I used as it was manually curated by (supposedly) monocled people.
There are some 'articles' if you google well enough with most popular words in steam titles and they are quite meaningless. And you dont know what is the data/method.

To make it more interesting, one could link overused words with codexer score... Maybe Ill do so once felipepe publishes another bestest rpg of all time poll(with title set including rpgs 2016+).
"add 'shadow' to your title to increase ign score by 2!".

Personally, when I look at all those words like darkness, shadow, dark, under, dungeon... Im suprised that 'eclipse' isnt utilized. Speaking of dark and darkness should be merged into one, it would create quite a clear winner.

One could create clusters in top words to show themes, like dark, kingdom, story(quest, tales...), shaving tools, geography... So we could realize that naming rpgs is like putting random words on tshirts.
Rpgmaker asset flips are hilarious shit, I could make one in two months and nab a buck from steam. damn those suckers are stupid just add tiddy...

user

Savant
Awesome thread. We need a bigger sample though.
you mean rpgs that no codexer played/is aware, probably 99% rpg maker stuff? My current solution wont scale to that, would need to implement dictionary usage and in general do stuff that data scientists are getting paid for(if you get the hint).
Sample would be bigger but data would be less meaningful as it wont use known titles. Also if you just go with rpg tag on steam you will get lots of weird stuff. I like title set I used as it was manually curated by (supposedly) monocled people.
There are some 'articles' if you google well enough with most popular words in steam titles and they are quite meaningless. And you dont know what is the data/method.

To make it more interesting, one could link overused words with codexer score... Maybe Ill do so once felipepe publishes another bestest rpg of all time poll(with title set including rpgs 2016+).
"add 'shadow' to your title to increase ign score by 2!".

Personally, when I look at all those words like darkness, shadow, dark, under, dungeon... Im suprised that 'eclipse' isnt utilized. Speaking of dark and darkness should be merged into one, it would create quite a clear winner.

One could create clusters in top words to show themes, like dark, kingdom, story(quest, tales...), shaving tools, geography... So we could realize that naming rpgs is like putting random words on tshirts.

Yeah, steam tags are terribly unreliable...
Willing to bet the final top results wouldn't change much though.
I'd shamelessly name my rpg/studio with a random-ish combination of these words - the catchier the better :P

Rpgmaker asset flips are hilarious shit, I could make one in two months and nab a buck from steam. damn those suckers are stupid just add tiddy...

Asset flipping is a thing in Rpgmaker? Oo

Norfleet

Citing Krynn is a bit silly, given that it's the name of the dragonlance setting and therefore is used in the names of each part of the trilogy.
Citing "Krynn" itself would be silly, since it's actually an original proper noun, but "Dragonlance" is totally a fair cop, since it's yet another example of "Dragon".

Poseidon00

Arcane
Well anything with the words "final" and "fantasy" is bound to be overused tripe that should have died long ago so we can at least remember it fondly rather than weep at it's shambling, fetid undead corpse

Dodo1610

Arcane
Thanks to this i came up with great 80s RPG titles

Dark Dragon Land Quest: The Shadow Tale Dungeons

Sword Wizzards of the Wolf Age

Exile Day: Tactical Isle Wars

Eye fall: Chronicles of the Soul Throne

Fishy

Savant
Terribly disappointing lack of fish.

Announcing my upcoming indie game "Dark Fins: Quest of the Dragonfish".

I'd buy that. Here's a business plan in the hope it helps that dream game come true:

1. Launch early access with seashore village and rpg trope quests that get you to level 3 while gathering root, logs, killing rats and grinding a fishing minigame.
2. Post amazing fantasy underwater "screenshot" teasers.
3. Suck up the money.
4. Announce that due to budget constraints and unplanned events, you regrettably had to cut out the underwater content, but, out of respect for the players, have added the Dragonfish as ultimate catch in the fishing minigame so that the Main Quest (tm) can be completed, making the game technically complete.
5. Ban the haters.
6. Leave Early access for an official launch.
7. Tease upcoming underwater DLC with more "screenshot" teasers.
8. Laugh all the way to the bank.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom