Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo released on GOG

agris

Arcane
Patron
Lyric Suite Is it? I don't follow GoG closely, so I couldn't say

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They have used community patches or fixes in many of their releases for a long time, it's not a new thing.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Big Boss, I think there was a way to get Blizzard to send you a download key if you still have the old box.

Agris, surely you're happy to see an seminole game become officially and readily available in digital format? Preserving abandonware is important IMO. Or well, now I guess it's the artist formerly known as abandonware.

All I have is the disc. The box was thrown away by dear old Mom in the 90's. She loved getting rid of my fucking boxes.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
One thing I have learned is oldfags hate when newfags have easier access to the things they like. Like owning a disc from before these dudes were born somehow makes their dick larger. I mean it does make it larger but only because you are a grown man and they are still little kids with peach fuzz on their nuts - which have yet to drop - point being stop being grumpy assholes and let people pay for these games again.

I'm not butthurt faggot. I am stating simple facts. I own the disc from the 90's so my gamer cred is twice as large as yours, with monocles on both sides.

Ironmonk

Augur
I also have my original disk somewhere, but I view it differently, like although you can get some games from various sources and install mod/fixes to play (and this is really not a difficult thing to do) there is still a problem: How trustworthy is your source for the game and mod/fixes? Are you 100% sure that there are no viruses/trojans/etc in those files?

So, IMO GOG does both things: they pack everything that is necessary for the game to work and acts as a certified source.

And in the end you get both: a game working properly just after installing it AND you don't need to care about viruses or any other crap.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Bought it as soon as I heard the news.

I've actually been trying to get it to work on my PC for years, since I lost the original CD my dad got and had to resort to downloading it. I kept on getting errors that the only solution for fixing was installing mods that change the whole freaking game. It would crash every five minutes and I got a ton of weird graphical errors.

Tried the GOG version for a little bit and it ran smooth as butter. Anyone who says this release is not a big deal has not tried to get this game working recently. Well worth the price in my opinion.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Bought it as soon as I heard the news.

I've actually been trying to get it to work on my PC for years, since I lost the original CD my dad got and had to resort to downloading it. I kept on getting errors that the only solution for fixing was installing mods that change the whole freaking game. It would crash every five minutes and I got a ton of weird graphical errors.

Tried the GOG version for a little bit and it ran smooth as butter. Anyone who says this release is not a big deal has not tried to get this game working recently. Well worth the price in my opinion.

On Win 7 all you need is to start the game with a batch file that kills explorer.exe before launching the game and restarts explorer.exe when you exit the game. It will probably still suffer from a stretched image, though, in which case dgVoodoo may help.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I don't think my emotional response rises to the level of happy/unhappy, I'm merely providing clarity as to what the "high resolution" support GoG provides is, and placing it in context with what has been available for download for owners of Diablo 1 for years.
That's good insight, but I'm still going to push back a bit. Diablo has only been legally available for download to people who kept the original box, and were willing to go through the whole "Blizzard feed me" thing.
In other words, I'm happy about this, because more availability of good and impactful games is a positive for consumers old and new.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I liked the mods that worked on the cut content (before hellfire). It’s a short game, unless you want to be a completionistand have each class maxed out on hell difficulty or w/e it was called. And there was battler or lan play.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've never played a diablo game, is D1 good outside of the context of whatever boundaries it pushed when it came out?
It's arguably the best one of the "Diablo and Diablo-clones" genre it spawned. Best atmosphere, best soundtrack, a lot more dangerous enemies, no respawning monsters, everyone can learn any spells from books if their magic is high enough. It's short and doesn't have the more distinct classes with their own abilities and replayability of D2 but it also has a lot less filler and no grinding the same areas and bosses for loot.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I've never played a diablo game, is D1 good outside of the context of whatever boundaries it pushed when it came out?

Yes, it is. The atmosphere is hard to compare to modern games. They just don't make games this grim anymore. It has amazing music and sound design. The gameplay is as good as a Diablo style game gets, I think, but I'm not the biggest fan of this genre. In the later levels it can feel a bit unbalanced.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Dear God people, this must be how you all felt when I said I bought BG1EE.. I have been playing high res and improved D1 for 6+ months and you could have done it since end of 2016 . No need to give 10$ to Blizzard and GoG. Just google Belzebub.

Black Angel

Arcane
Dear God people, this must be how you all felt when I said I bought BG1EE.
I'm not sure if this can compare, considering BG1 Original Cut was available on GOG before EE's release (which simultaneously remove access to the Original Cut), while this.... well, I remembered somebody said that Blizzard hates money, which may explain why for some reason their old classics are not available anywhere on Steam/GOG.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
BG1 Original Cut was available on GOG before EE's release (which simultaneously remove access to the Original Cut)

I'm pretty sure if you buy BG1EE on GOG you get access to original BG1 too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom