Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
You could crowdfund translations yourself. They're not gonna stop doing this shit, ever.

Viata

Arcane
You could crowdfund translations yourself. They're not gonna stop doing this shit, ever.
I don't care much about that as long as I have the option to play the japanese version(be it now or some years later thanks to emulators), what I do care is about Japanese games being censored in Japan itself thanks to shit like what Sony is doing.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
How convenient, the site is down and I can't view the changes & "improvements".

Here are the changes:
To ensure a release for the West, content changes will also be included in the localized PlayStation®4 and Steam® (PC) versions. To reduce content which could be interpreted as sexualization of characters depicted as minors, the following changes have been made:

• PlayStation®4 Packaging art
    • In order to conform to public storefront display standards, images that can be interpreted as too sexually provocative must be modified.
  • Sachika Bedroom Scene CGIs
    • In the Japanese release, Sachika's panties are visible. In the Western release, Sachika is wearing pajama bottoms.
  • Sachika CGI in the Opening Scene
    • In the Japanese release, Sachika's panties are visible. In the Western release, the camera angle has been raised to not show Sachika's panties.
  • Child Rinko Extend Machine CGI
    • In the Japanese release, Child Rinko covers her chest with her arms. In the Western release, the position of her arms has been adjusted.
  • All “Child” bedtime event cutscenes removed

Btw here are the removed cutscenes there is not only lolicon but also Grannycon.

They're only censoring(removing) the "lolicon" ones, which after seeing I'd argue the author's intent was for them to be cute (in the case of the girls who are more clothed in their child forms) or humorous (in the case of the young boys posing excessively for someone their age). You'd have to be some special kind of degenerate to "interpret [that] as sexualization of characters depicted as minors", but I guess that fits the SJW/REEtardera/Commiefornia bill.
As for Sachika stuff, yeah that was probably fanservice, I mean it's rather blatant on the author's part. She's not really a child though, even if she is short and flat-chested.

Also aren't they all technically underage considering they're clones who can't live past two weeks? Or is the reverse of "300 year-old loli" okay because they look like adults? It certainly explains Americans and their sexualization of teenagers as long as they have budding breasts or full asses.

Anyways, this isn't really the hill I'll die on, as much as I love dungeon crawlers this title seems easily skippable since the combat isn't even as involved as Grimrock (with its spellcasting system) and the story can be easily experienced via a stream or youtube video. It didn't even do well in Japan, and they're the primary market for this kind of stuff.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Desu taimu desu.

A doujin RPG published by DLSite. Sound like a free-from RPG with world exploration:

ss_f4adead6fbabfa850223aa357a3a78f69a512c9b.600x338.jpg
ss_07f6dbb20b2d3d6b48465e49bde1d49204f72fd7.600x338.jpg

Apparently this is already for sale on DLsite

https://www.dlsite.com/eng/work/=/product_id/RE245734.html

Wonder if it's any good

My Japanese sucks, but I can confirm that the second line says what rough translation says it does.

I love how those fuckers boast that they record podcasts. I guess they spend more time on marketing than actual translation.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh, they did fine for Fire Emblem Echoes, as well as Nier. At least for Fire Emblem's case it was much better than treehouse. I think like anything it varies, but they're not the worst out there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/the-alliance-alive-hd-remaster-announced-for-ps4-switch-and-pc

The Alliance Alive HD Remaster announced for PS4, Switch, and PC

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals The Alliance Alive HD Remaster for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC. It will launch this fall in Japan.

The Alliance Alive first launched for 3DS in Japana in January 2017, followed by the west in March 2018. Its development team includes staff who worked on Romancing SaGa 2 and Suikoden.

Here is an overview of the 3DS version, via western publisher Atlus:

One Thousand Years Ago, Daemons Invaded the World of Humans

They subjugated Humanity and created the Great Barrier to separate the realms. The world was thrown into upheaval, and the Dark Current was born. It carved a cross-shaped swath across the ocean, swallowing countless cities in its wake. Humanity was decimated. Hundreds of years later, Daemons rule atop a hierarchical society. However, the time for resistance has come. The world is about to change yet again…

Crafted by Legendary Talent

With writing by Yoshitaka Murayama, game design by Kyoji Koizumi, a vision realized by director Masataka Matsuura, and a stunning score delivered by acclaimed composer Masashi Hamauzu, players will experience the nostalgia delivered by these Japanese RPG greats. With gorgeous world exploration, an intertwining story involving nine memorable characters, and strategic, turn-based gameplay mechanics, players won’t want to miss this return to Japanese RPG excellence.

Built on a sprawling world replete with numerous secrets to discover, players will need to establish and unite guilds throughout the four realms while battling the Daemons. Use the “Ignition” system, a part of the turn-based combat that allows for deep customization and nuanced gameplay, to reach an enhanced state and deliver devastating Final Strikes. In The Alliance Alive, players will need to keep their wits about them and think strategically to win each fight!

Update 11:00 p.m.: NIS America will host a video presentation on March 11 where it will likely announce a western localization of The Alliance Alive HD Remaster among other new titles. Gematsu discovered the following URL—https://nisamerica.com/games/alliancealive—which returns an “Access Denied” page.

Trailer of 3DS version:

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The demo was pretty lame but if the rerelease is cheaper than what it currently costs in the EU eshop then I might consider picking it up for a rainy day.

Expon

Scholar

The article on famitsu mentions specifically that it's going to be a single player game and the video shows exploration without a hint of social elements. The back party members probably only offer buffs or special attacks and are not actually useable, it could be something similar to romancing saga 2 where you recruit based and class and just be blank slates.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Looks neat and I missed it so far. Demo is out, apparently.
https://soromantic.itch.io/jack-move

title.png

***Jack Move is still in development. Grab the demo below***

About
Jack Move is a cyberpunk themed Japanese style RPG. Jack Move is set in a “VHS-era” cyberpunk city filled with high-tech and low-life. Inspired by the novels of William Gibson, 80’s computer interfaces and films such as Strange Days, Akira & Bladerunner. The game features beautiful modern pixel art, a unique turn based battle system and an 8 to 10 hour campaign. Players take on the role of Noa, a vigilante hacker who is thrust into a world of murder, kidnapping and dark research after her father goes missing.

2019-03-04%20440x250%20scrapyard_01.gif

2019-03-04%20440x250%20scrapyard_crusher.gif

2019-03-04%20440x250%20scrapyard_02.gif

2019-03-04%20440x250%20battle_01.gif

"VHS era" cyberpunk
Neon. Rain. Cityscapes.
Gritty story
8-10 hour campaign
Unique "cyberspace" battle system
Configure the loadout for your sweet cyberspace deck
Looks lovely
Gorgeous "Hi-Bit" pixel art
Story
They whisper her name on the streets: Solares. A mysterious veteran of the Data Wars, she keeps the fight against the Corporations alive as a vigilante hacker-for-hire, empowering the downtrodden and undermining those with power.

When she receives an emergency message from her estranged father - the eccentric Dr. Abner Solares, whose wife's death spurred him to become the leading researcher of 'digital reanimation' - Noa is thrust into a world of murder, kidnapping, dark research, and the corporation that would steal it for their own ends: Monomind.

What starts as fight to save your father will become a fight for the future of mankind itself...

Cyberspace Battles
Jack Move features beautifully animated turn based battles. Inspired by JRPG greats such as Final Fantasy 7-10, Grandia and Golden Sun, with a modern twist.

The single party member system allows for exciting and tactical battles. Customise the software of your Cyber Deck to switch roles mid battle, balancing offence, defence and buffs. Choosing which software you load during a battle is the key to victory! Hardware upgrades can help boost your stats, increase the amount of software you can install or give Noa extra abilities.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
NIS America announcements.

The Alliance Alive HD Remastered (PC, PS4, Switch) - Fall

Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (PS4, Vita) - Early 2020

(No PC version.
rating_negativeman.png
)

Destiny Connect: Tick-Tock Travelers - Fall

---

Also Tokyo RPG Factory/Square Enix's action RPG thing:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Interesting comment about the graphics of their games:

“We’re aware of our weaknesses in the graphics department, as it’s been pointed out when we’ve participated in events in various countries. In Trails of Cold Steel III, we increased the quality of our models. And while we’re using motion capture in some areas in Ys IX, I also want to increase the quality more than before. When getting information on games, what first catches my eyes are graphics and illustrations, so I want to treat this as a future challenge.

“However, I would like to say this for the honor of Falcom’s employees. They aren’t slacking off. Trails of Cold Steel concluded with the fourth title, but they created four games over the course of five years. There is almost no other company in the Japanese games industry that can continue to release 50 to 80-hour RPGs at that pace. For example, if we made CG movies over the course of two years, we would be able to achieve higher quality. But even so, at around 20 hours, the Trails series’ event scenes are far from two hours long. The staff naturally wants to increase the quality, but considering the release period of the Trails series and trying to deliver the games as quickly as possible, we have to make a compromise somewhere along the line. If we’re working while also raising the quality, we probably wouldn’t finish in our lifetimes.

“However, I would like to have nice graphics. I myself have been told ‘the graphics are shabby’ when recommending games I like to people, which was painful to hear. Currently, we have young new talent joining Falcom, who are making all sorts of proposals with the thought of further improvements. I think that those results will gradually show face, so please look forward to that.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom