Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo released on GOG

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Dear God people, this must be how you all felt when I said I bought BG1EE.. I have been playing high res and improved D1 for 6+ months and you could have done it since end of 2016 . No need to give 10$ to Blizzard and GoG. Just google Belzebub.

Personally I find that Belzebub changes the game so much it feels like an entirely different game. I just want the classic game to run on a modern operating system, which is why I bought the GOG version.

Black Angel

Arcane
Well, I'm not the one who actually say it. I only vaguely remembering someone somewhere in the Codex say it, or something along those lines.

Or perhaps I mixed it up with another saying, because I can clearly remember the title for KotC1 thread includes a similar phrase, "Pierre Begue hates money", because he insisted on not releasing the game on Steam.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
More likely, Blizzard though that the cost of developping, supporting and distributing the games (including the negotiations with GOG/Steam) would be inferior to any potential sales. Until now.
Or GOG recently offered them a sweet deal and Blizzard decided it was a good idea (perhaps because of latest Diablo fiasco)

Eggs is eggs

Learned
There is so little money to be made in a release of a 20+ year old game and so much time and effort involved in updating it to work with the current battle.net launcher that it was a no brainer to farm it out to GoG to slap a few mods onto it and sell it for them.

I'm honestly surprised that Blizzard is putting so much effort into their Warcraft 3 remake. That is not going to make them much money either and with the company so focused on profitability recently it seems like a weird decision. I doubt they made much with their Starcraft 1 remaster.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Like conducting blood rituals to open the gates of Hell, all it took was the sacrifice of 200 Blizzard employees to reawaken INCLINE!

Thank you, Bob!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Blizzard didn't make Hellfire as i remember. I guess they don't have the rights.

Been decades since i tried it but i remember being kinda of shit.

Last edited:

Zakhad

Savant
Hellfire was developed by a Sierra subsidiary, and since Sierra was later eaten by Vivendi who were eaten by Activision-Blizzard, Blizzard should have the rights to Hellfire (unless something very weird happened).

Onionguy

Educated
There is so little money to be made in a release of a 20+ year old game and so much time and effort involved in updating it to work with the current battle.net launcher that it was a no brainer to farm it out to GoG to slap a few mods onto it and sell it for them.

I'm honestly surprised that Blizzard is putting so much effort into their Warcraft 3 remake. That is not going to make them much money either and with the company so focused on profitability recently it seems like a weird decision. I doubt they made much with their Starcraft 1 remaster.

The reaction that followed Diablo Immortal announcement was surely fatal enough to cost them thousands of dollars in the stock market. The outrage was caused mostly by nostalgia crowd, which may seem like a small orc peon in a sea of blizzard's casual fans, but is still capable of bringing about some real damage while spreading confusion among countless but clueless non- gamers; who otherwise, would eagerly pre-ordered that garbage. So now, they are bringing a few remasters/remakes out, not necessarily with hope for big profits, but rather in fear of a next backlash. It is just a smoke and mirrors tactic that is done in order to appease people like us and divert our eyes from all those repulsive moba/card games. And believe me, all the money they spend for the remasters are nuisance when compared to how much they lost because of that 'april fools' dude.

Alkarl

Learned
Welp, bought it. I even still have my original disk, but GOG looked like they were hurting for the cash after missing out on Grimoire. Hope Hellfire is added later, can't wait for Warcraft 1 & 2 also. Almost forgot Blizzard ever made good games!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Might buy them when on sale for 1.99. Just don’t get a gaming hard-on for a game I played to death. I do want to hear if the old mods work well with it. Brings back memories of the ole “no-cd” crack for d1-2.

Gord

Arcane
Questionable AA aside - are GOGs resolution improvements actually doing something? All the pictures/vids I found so far look pretty much identical to the old version to me.
In other words - what's the purpose of them (not of Diablo being sold on GOG now, that's cool)?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
No idea.

When you start the game, it gives you an option for high res and "classic", but there's no difference between the two.

Also, minor annoying bug, when you move the cursor, it keeps going even after hitting the edge of the screen (game is in 4:3), but only on the right side. Everything else seems to work fine so far.

Fishy

Savant
Glorified downgrade of Gauntlet II. Less varied levels, boring colours, and pretty much cementing decline by putting into the mind of new players that click-loot-fest-levelup was what RPGs were all about.

Swigen

Arbiter
Just bought, perfect music, perfect atmosphere, perfect game. No cartoony bullshit, just one dungeon and one town full of strong memorable characters. I haven’t played this since I was like 11, forgot how much I’d missed it. Who the fuck could play Diablo 1 for even 5 minutes and create something like Diablo 3 or Diablo Immortal for that matter, and think to themselves, “nailed it”?

MOBILE GAEM!! LOL!!!

ab8.jpg

MOBILE GAEM!!!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Never played 3 and since they have it set up with server storage bullshit I never will unless some Uber offline hack comes to be. And then I’m still meh about it.

Melcar

Arcane
Dear God people, this must be how you all felt when I said I bought BG1EE.. I have been playing high res and improved D1 for 6+ months and you could have done it since end of 2016 . No need to give 10$ to Blizzard and GoG. Just google Belzebub.

Personally I find that Belzebub changes the game so much it feels like an entirely different game. I just want the classic game to run on a modern operating system, which is why I bought the GOG version.

Yeah. Sometimes it feels like a Diablo II light or something. But whatever, I'm not giving money to GOG anymore unless necessary, or at the very least until the game goes on a $2 sale.

No idea.

When you start the game, it gives you an option for high res and "classic", but there's no difference between the two.

Also, minor annoying bug, when you move the cursor, it keeps going even after hitting the edge of the screen (game is in 4:3), but only on the right side. Everything else seems to work fine so far.

Is the high res fixed, or can you zoom in/out during the game?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Who the fuck could play Diablo 1 for even 5 minutes and create something like Diablo 3 or Diablo Immortal for that matter, and think to themselves, “nailed it”?
It's a shame that almost none of the Diablo team was on Diablo 3. Only K. Williams, F. Pearce, D. Berggren and S. Didier worked on D3, the rest is working somewhere else. Then again Boyarsky also worked on D3 and it didn't help much since all of his ideas were shot down and he had no creative freedom so Diablo 3 was destined for popamole from the get go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom