Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

GandGolf

Augur
Poor Gorlo. Should just hand over the key when asked for it.

I think it's possible to finish the game by murdering everyone, though I haven't heard anyone try it.

That sounds like a challenge for future replays.

Won't some of the NPCs be immortal though? At least the plot critical ones, anyway. That would make a good Steam achievement though, slay the golden baby.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, I don't know what happens if you fight the Golden Baby or the White Owl. My guess is you cannot defeat them, but if you do then you will get the item needed to finish the game as loot.

Gunnar

Arbiter
You can't initiate combat with the Golden Baby. I remember not being able to fight Lilith, or the Axe spirit either.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, to come back to our earlier deliberations about the validity of ranged weapons:
As to slings: I found a potentially cool one called Nevermiss that does 6d6 damage and has a 50 bonus to hit, together with a stack of 116 krakklers, which give another 2d4 and +20 to hit. Sounds okay, right? Well, no. Because the krakklers weigh 2.1 lbs a piece (compared to 0.3 lbs an arrow), and the stack of 116 (that can't be separated) puts even a 70 str guy (with other gear) at 300% encumbrance + disallows the use of shields. Sooooooo, yeah, I'm pretty sure slings are a waste of time.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 25 Feb @ 4:13am
Will get onto these immediately, writing them down as top priority. The stones weighing too much to carry for the sling is definitely a bug, they are too heavy.

Cael

Arcane
Also, to come back to our earlier deliberations about the validity of ranged weapons:
As to slings: I found a potentially cool one called Nevermiss that does 6d6 damage and has a 50 bonus to hit, together with a stack of 116 krakklers, which give another 2d4 and +20 to hit. Sounds okay, right? Well, no. Because the krakklers weigh 2.1 lbs a piece (compared to 0.3 lbs an arrow), and the stack of 116 (that can't be separated) puts even a 70 str guy (with other gear) at 300% encumbrance + disallows the use of shields. Sooooooo, yeah, I'm pretty sure slings are a waste of time.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 25 Feb @ 4:13am
Will get onto these immediately, writing them down as top priority. The stones weighing too much to carry for the sling is definitely a bug, they are too heavy.
Sling ammo are the heaviest compared with arrows and bolts in DnD 3.5, IIRC.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's also always been very heavy in Wizardries, so this is probably less of a bug and more of a "copypasting the loot table" problem. Still, it would be much less of a problem if we could SEPARATE STACKS :argh:

Stack separation would also make alchemy skyrocket in efficiency since you wouldn't have to sacrifice an entire stack of 60 potions just to get one better potion after merging.

Also:

I'm not trying to go on a murderhobo spree, I merely used the option I had to since I couldn't pick the door and I didn't have Charm nor could I find it.

Player hint: pickpocketing is easier than you think, even at 0 in robbery.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Player hint: pickpocketing is easier than you think, even at 0 in robbery.
I tried it but it didn't work, unless there was some trick. It's far too late for that now though. I've just killed the Black Lich and Gorlo is a long, distant memory by now.
Has anyone used the Necromancer class in their party? Currently it's my weakest link. Lots of XP required to level up and the spells require a ton of mana to cast so it's hard to keep up, especially since I'm getting weak mana gains per level on my Fairy in the first place. In fact I just noticed that she had lost 20 points of max mana somewhere. I'm afraid that I should've just picked Aeorb for my Necro as well since my Aeorb Wizard is doing really well. Or just taken an Aeorb Sage.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In related news,

I removed the ring and equipped it again.

Suddenly guy starts advancing in swordsmanship again (he's now at ~60).

Arcanum still stuck at 50 and refuses to budge though, and lockpicking hasn't increased by itself since it went to 50 as well. Otoh I could grind swimming/climbing to 100 on him just fine.

:neveraskedforthis:

I... think I finally figured it out.

Skills advance on their own ONLY if they are available to the character's current class. So dudeguy's lockpicking and music stopped going up the moment he changed class from bard.

I realised it now when I noticed to my surprise that one of my wammos got lethal blow up to 100 only just now, which for all intents and purposes he should have gotten up to max before. But his character advancement was ranger -> thief for a long-ass time because I fucked his levelling -> pirate. And the lethal blow started going up in combat only when I changed him into the poirate.

Another mystery of Grimoire solved... or at least I think so.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Has anyone used the Necromancer class in their party? Currently it's my weakest link. Lots of XP required to level up and the spells require a ton of mana to cast so it's hard to keep up, especially since I'm getting weak mana gains per level on my Fairy in the first place.

Necros start out as squishy weak emos and then get access to some of the best spells later. If you start out with an Aeorb for Necro, he will be double squishy and weak to begin with. It's probably the weakest beginning combination you can pick, which only pays off later.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Has anyone used the Necromancer class in their party? Currently it's my weakest link. Lots of XP required to level up and the spells require a ton of mana to cast so it's hard to keep up, especially since I'm getting weak mana gains per level on my Fairy in the first place.

Necros start out as squishy weak emos and then get access to some of the best spells later. If you start out with an Aeorb for Necro, he will be double squishy and weak to begin with. It's probably the weakest beginning combination you can pick, which only pays off later.

Necro gets access to some nice spells early on, like Insect Swarm, Crushing Hand and Summon Undead. There is also some Necromancer only gear in the game.*

Edit- *correction, there is a shield that he can use that other caster classes can't, but fighters can. There is a hood that is exclusive to Necromancer, Sage and Assassin.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, you're right on Crushing Hand - they get it at Level 4. Insect Swarm is not too bad, but it usually does much less damage than for example Acid Cloud.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wizards get Crushing Hand too. My Wizard has so much Mana that he can just cast a really high power level of it and wreck boss enemies. My Necromancer, at level 6, now has 50 mana and 20 health. She used to have a lot more health and slightly worse Mana than my Wizard (who is sitting at 90 now). Something has definitely happened to my Fairy. She's is barely usable now. Wish I knew what was going on since I don't have any diseases either.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Wizards get Crushing Hand too. My Wizard has so much Mana that he can just cast a really high power level of it and wreck boss enemies. My Necromancer, at level 6, now has 50 mana and 20 health. She used to have a lot more health and slightly worse Mana than my Wizard (who is sitting at 90 now). Something has definitely happened to my Fairy. She's is barely usable now. Wish I knew what was going on since I don't have any diseases either.

The only thing you get with a Necromancer that is better than other classes is the high level spells, and you won't see those until the very end of the game. You get stuck with a single class, crappy races and low health. Necromancer gets a few nice spells early on, but other casters get them too as you say so this small advantage quickly disappears. The biggest problem with the class is the low health though. The class needs some work, as I've said before. Cleve says he may give Necromancer an upgrade.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
There shouldn't be anything that reduces max mana points. You lose 10 CON when you die and I think some monsters can temporarily reduce other attrubutes.

What you should watch out for are the Ore Worms and the Miner 49er's which can destroy weapons or armor.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Welp, my Fairy used to have about 40 HP and 70 MP. Now she's at 20 HP and 50 MP. I'll try digging around to see if anyone has had a similar predicament, if not then I might just kill off my Necro and grab the thief who offered to join my party at the Cenotaph. I'll try walking around and doing a few areas first to see if she gains those stats back first tho.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Thief at the Cenotaph is quite shitty though. You'd be better off with Rosy, Raghilda or Coffergus in the beginning. Once you get to Kublai Axis, I'd get Chuckles (Jester) or Kroondegraf (Sage) in the mountains.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
What do I do in the Observatory of Knossos? (Just tell me if it has anything to do with the crystal orbs at all)

Deleted Member 16721

Cleve, just suggesting that maybe you should do an Android version of Grimoire. It would be awesome to play it on a nice 10 inch screen, and I think you'd get a good chunk of sales at either $6.99 or $9.99 including a Steam key. Just saying. Continued success and thanks for the great game bro!

Last edited by a moderator:

Swigen

Arbiter
Cleve, just suggesting that maybe you should do an Android version of Grimoire. It would be awesome to play it on a nice 10 inch screen, and I think you'd get a good chchu of sales at either $6.99 or $9.99 including a Steam key. Just saying. Continued success and thanks for the great game bro!

Agreed, I wish there was an iOS version. It’d be cool to play it on the go and you could switch between that and the grid apps they have for iPad.

Solanacean

Educated
Cleve, I believe there's a bug in your initialization code for fullscreen mode. You're actually passing nWidth instead of nHeight to CreateWindowEx. Take a look:

Code:
// ...
// Creating unique mutex
// ...
// Reading configuration file
// ...
if (fullscreenFlag == 1)
{
    nWidth = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN);
    nHeight = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN); // <--- Shouldn't it be SM_CYSCREEN ?
}
else
{
    nWidth = 1030;
    nHeight = 796;
}
// Other code
// ...
if (fullscreenFlag == 1)
{
    hWnd = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_TOPMOST, WindowName, WindowName, WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE, 0, 0, nWidth, nHeight, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL);
}
else
{
    hWnd = CreateWindowEx(...);
}
//...

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleve, I believe there's a bug in your initialization code for fullscreen mode. You're actually passing nWidth instead of nHeight to CreateWindowEx. Take a look:

Code:
// ...
// Creating unique mutex
// ...
// Reading configuration file
// ...
if (fullscreenFlag == 1)
{
    nWidth = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN);
    nHeight = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN); // <--- Shouldn't it be SM_CYSCREEN ?
}
else
{
    nWidth = 1030;
    nHeight = 796;
}
// Other code
// ...
if (fullscreenFlag == 1)
{
    hWnd = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_TOPMOST, WindowName, WindowName, WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE, 0, 0, nWidth, nHeight, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL);
}
else
{
    hWnd = CreateWindowEx(...);
}
//...

This is code from the mid-2000s circa 2008 or so. Where'd you get this from?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom