Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ruinarch - evil overlord simulator inspired by RimWorld & DF - now available on Early Access

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.ruinarch.com/

This Which Filipino indie team makes.

ss_aedea989f9f957327510817e6023ad160a1a90d9.jpg

ss_4392cf02a64956ceec5bca7467d39005c52fca37.jpg

Ruinarch is a devilishly fun simulation/sandbox game where you are an evil demon overlord creating havoc and invading procedurally generated fantasy worlds. You will have access to a vast repertoire of spells, afflictions, demons and monsters. Cast a Meteor or a Lightning Bolt directly on the pitiful wretches, or turn them against each other by cursing them with flaws like Unfaithfulness or Cannibalism, or just send out your demons and minions to invade their villages. We'll give you all sorts of tools to create a hellish chronicle for the ages.

SteamHeaderEmergent.png

Inspired by story generator games like Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, weaving tales of anguish and woe are central to Ruinarch’s gameplay. Sure, you could just summon a bunch of skeletons to attack a village, but a true evil overlord toys with his prey first. Inflict the local hero with Lycanthropy and watch as his once loyal friends turn on him when the full moon rises. Turn the local village idiot into a serial killer that has a killing pattern that you personally designed. And if you’re feeling lazy and have no time to be creative, just start a zombie apocalypse!

TerrifyingHowl.gif

SteamHeaderMultifarious.png

Every evil overlord needs minions to command and spells to cast! The nether realm is home to seven types of lesser demons, each one corresponding to a Deadly Sin and capable of a unique set of actions and abilities. Send a Lust Demon to recruit monsters to your cause. Instruct a Sloth Demon to guard your Portal. Use a Wrath Demon to harass a nearby village.

Demons.png

Your minions can do some grunt work like defending your demonic structures or invading villages but most of the powerful spells are at your command! You have access to destructive powers like Tornadoes, Blizzards, Earthquakes or Poison Clouds. You can also debilitate characters with various afflictions like Vampirism, Narcolepsy, Cowardice and Pestilence.

Iceteroids3.gif

SteamHeaderFactions.png

Casting Brimstones upon villages can be fun, but these powerful calamities will increase your Threat. Cause too much mayhem and the heroes will eventually fight back! Sometimes, subtle actions may be more appropriate. The factions in the realm may all be against you, but you can exploit their differences and make them fight amongst each other. Stoke this dissent by spreading rumors and intrigue to fracture feeble relationships and watch them destroy each other without you even having to lift a finger.

Lightning.gif

SteamHeaderInvade.png

Each playthrough generates a random fantasy world for you to conquer. You have a vast array of spells, minions and monsters at your disposal! While your primary goal is to wipe out all defenders to gain more experience and unlock more powers, you can also simply toy around with a generated world in devilishly creative ways!

Boulder.gif

SteamHeaderFeature.png

• Generate an infinite number of procedural fantasy worlds
  • Invade elven villages, human towns, bandit camps, ancient ruins, monster lairs, and much more!
  • Build demonic structures with various world corrupting capabilities
  • Summon lesser demons and recruit monsters to assist in world domination
  • Unleash powerful spells and afflictions
  • Fracture the kingdoms into multiple competing subfactions to weaken them from inside
  • Unlock new abilities from three unique skill trees: Ravager, Puppetmaster, Lich
  • Wipe out the world’s defenders - each one equipped with complex AI that takes into account its needs, traits and relationships.

Why Early Access?
“World's Bane is a highly experimental game with emergent storytelling and gameplay at its core. As a small indie team, we have a lot of ambitious ideas but we need the help of the community to test them out and provide feedback and critique to guide our development in the right direction. While we have a clear road map for the upcoming year, we are also very open to adjusting and pivoting based on what the community really wants.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Based on our road map, Early Access will last at least 12 more months. We fully expect our road map to change through Early Access so this will certainly be a moving target. We intend the Final Release to be launched no longer than 2 years from Early Access.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“Upcoming major features include more races, more extensive character relationships and interactions, a simple base building system and lots of random events. We also want to polish the game art and sound and fully animate combat. There will also be a heavy focus on ensuring that character AI are the best and can plan and react smartly to the player's actions.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The current game includes a random world generator that produces procedurally-generated maps with multiple factions, races, character classes and areas that interact to produce emergent ever-changing worlds. This is merely the starting point of our vision for the game. We want more extensive events and interactions that would truly produce interesting emergent stories that also allows the player to manipulate and play with the NPCs lives and relationships.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“The game will be slightly more expensive after Early Access.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We plan to release updates once every two months. We intend to be active on the Steam discussion boards to interact with players and gather feedback and criticisms. This will aid in our iterative design process and help us assess whether there needs to be adjustments in the road map to address player issues. While it is important to us to be true to our own vision, we understand that listening to outside feedback is essential.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is something about the art style or the color palette that I dislike but I can't pinpoint what it is.
The idea sounds good of course

Beowulf

Arcane
There is something about the art style or the color palette that I dislike but I can't pinpoint what it is.
The idea sounds good of course

It looks like assets form some kind of asset store, akin to this:
https://cubebrush.co/dgbaumgart/products/9zl4sq/terrain-hexes-basic-set

I'm pretty sure that I've seen those particular assets.

Anyway, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as it reduces the energy required to pull of a scam.
With That Wich Sleeps they had to create some mock art at first, now they can just buy it, and pretend that they have a game.

But in all seriousness, if there is a developer behind this, that can code something resembling a wokring game, purchasing already made art might speed the development.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
This reeks of Forever Alpha. Small team, looks like RPG Maker and used catch-words like CKII, DF and Rimworld for advertisment.

mapacible

Maccima Games
Developer
Hello everyone,

I'm part of the development team making this games and I totally understand the concern due to what happened to That Which Sleeps. A couple of things to note:
- Yes, the art assets are very similar to dgbaumgart's hex tiles in the asset stores because he is also the artist working on the tileset for this game. These are all custom though, so while it looks similar to his Painterly Set, they are all new.
- The game is still fairly early development so we'll take into consideration your critique about the purple UI and discuss what to do about it
- A vertical slice will be available soon, I encourage anyone interested to respond here as we are looking for a few early testers to give feedback
- We originally planned to also do a kickstarter but due to what happened to That Which Sleeps, we are sure that it will fail so we won't be doing that anymore. We'll have to prove our capabilities in Early Access!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I think you should not repeat the common mistake of overstretching yourself with promises of features too complex to implement. Use Oxygen Not Included approach - keep promises modest and then build up upon Early Access by adding more features. RimWorld started with very few features and then added A LOT of them because Tynan managed to do one feature at a time and test it.
We are cynical about tsuch games here because not a single one of them have been released and most died during eternal alpha stage.
That doesn't mean we don't want you to succeed or will enjoy schadenfreude opon some setbacks.

mapacible

Maccima Games
Developer
Thank you, we will keep your advise in mind! We've been working on this concept for over two years now (although we went through several different prototypes related to the core theme of god game + emergent storytelling) so I have some sympathy with other past developers that attempted this as I know firsthand how difficult it is to make it work, mainly due to the complex level of AI required. Though we still have a lot of work to do, I feel like we've finally hit the right fundamental structure and it's now a matter of implementing the content that would allow more interesting emergent storylines to occur.

I understand where you guys are coming from. We've had a similar reception when I first posted about our game in the Dwarf Fortress forum. We'll just have to work harder to overcome player skepticism.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1. Inflict Jamie with unfaithfulness
2. Wife wants to leave
3. Zap wife
4. Wife changes her mind and kills affair
5. Raise affair as zombie
6. Zombie kills Jamie

It's not entirely clear to me how causing a smalltown drama helps you with world domination, but this is pretty hilarious anyway :lol:

Yeah I really like the look of this game it looks fun. But I can see storing Intel being a chore if it's a drop down menu with dozens of events happening. Imagine loads of events happening simultaneously in a town square. It'd be hard to find the one you're looking to store. You could do a search function to lessen the annoyance of this somewhat.

mapacible

Maccima Games
Developer
Hi guys, we hear you on the grid lines! We'll try out a seamless tileset on the next update.

For intel, we intended it to be part of the game's challenge. You only see notifications for events that are occurring on your screen so that you can only typically share those that you have observed. At the same time, we'll also have other means of obtaining intel (ex: accessing someone's memories so you can pick one from his 'history log' to store as an intel). We do feel that it is still a bit fiddly at the moment so we are also trying to figure out how to improve intel gathering.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grid lines shouldn't be so dark, especially as you have thin walls.

(Thin walls cool btw!)

I like this grid. It looks a bit randomised, not just straight lines, as if the world consist of blocks with jagged edges
Yes, it does look like those PnP (+ online variants like roll20 or d20pro) tilesets.
Which is something that takes you right out of the game world as - in contrast to PnP - it isn't just a visual aid, but the actual world you're supposed to be in.
Nothing says "you're in a game" more than a bluntly displayed grid.

Kind of depends what the devs want to achieve here. If they want that boardgame vibe, sure, I just think this type of game would be better with a more immersive approach. Though that might also be much harder to achieve than going the boardgame route.

Hi guys, we hear you on the grid lines! We'll try out a seamless tileset on the next update.
Hey now, don't go straight to seamless. Grids are important visual aid. It just looks weird when the border between two grass tiles is about as dark and thick as the border between indoor and outdoor tile.

mapacible

Maccima Games
Developer
Yeah, we'll try it out first, and see how it feels in comparison. Truth is that the gridlines were an artifact of previous game design that no longer applies (NPCs used to move one tile per tick). I personally like the look, and it makes it easy to add more tiles as there is no need for transition between different tile types. But, it shouldn't be too hard to try out a seamless version to compare.

mapacible

Maccima Games
Developer
What do you guys think of how this seamless version looks (WIP):

6APPoDB
6APPoDB.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom