Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Aside from the huge buttons this looks pretty damn good!

profreshinal

Arcane
Some images of the Alpha-build:

Shoreline.png

A lighthouse to the south-west? curious.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
Often wondering who is paying to play this poop again...? Most of old 8-bit rpgs were bad and simple, but it didn't matter back then. I can't imagine a veteran like myself playing these again, not to mention actually giving money to someone who is milking the legacy with minimum amount of work put it. But this is something some developers do, because they know there are enough dumb people who are looking for the lost past they never actually had (players younger than 20). If there was any reason to do something like this it would be dramatic improvements to gameplay (modern AI, complex item interactions, whatever etc.), but I don't see it yet in this.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Often wondering who is paying to play this poop again...? Most of old 8-bit rpgs were bad and simple, but it didn't matter back then. I can't imagine a veteran like myself playing these again, not to mention actually giving money to someone who is milking the legacy with minimum amount of work put it. But this is something some developers do, because they know there are enough dumb people who are looking for the lost past they never actually had (players younger than 20). If there was any reason to do something like this it would be dramatic improvements to gameplay (modern AI, complex item interactions, whatever etc.), but I don't see it yet in this.

I'm amazed how many points within this single paragraph are outright wrong. Bravo.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
It's nothing personal, it's just the way I think about these games. And you could think too, if you had brains. It takes least effort to copy everything done before, but the real hard thing in game development is creativity. I don't like when developers clone old games and stick a price to it. Try to be more creative, I know it's much harder and requires some actual work, but in the end, you will be happy and proud of yourself.

d1nolore

Savant
It's nothing personal, it's just the way I think about these games. And you could think too, if you had brains. It takes least effort to copy everything done before, but the real hard thing in game development is creativity. I don't like when developers clone old games and stick a price to it. Try to be more creative, I know it's much harder and requires some actual work, but in the end, you will be happy and proud of yourself.

#1 There's a niche audience who likes retro graphics. Does it matter if it's for nostalgia or not?
#2 A lot of gamers are more concerned with gameplay and fun than using the latest tech. See Minecraft & Dwarf Fortress.
#3 How much do you honestly expect from a one man? team? The next D:OS?
#4 What have you produced? How do you know how much effort goes into a project like this? I'm going to guess nothing.
#5 The real hard part of game development is creativity? Every Tom, Dick, and Harry can come up with ideas. There's millions of unrealised ideas out there. Ideas are the easy part: creating something, building and designing it, bug fixing, and most of all finishing something is the hard part! Your ideas by themselves are worthless unless they can be implemented, that's the long slog.

The OP was an introduction to the project and it's interesting to us! People will chose to follow or not follow if they like what they see. There is very little information so far on the specifics of the game but already you pretend to have some sort of insight.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

I’m sorry, I didn’t see your game anywhere...can you point me to where it is again?

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

Hi! Have been playing around w camera post-processing this week! I feel like adding a option to play SKALD w a CRT filter is a small but integral part of the social contract between a retro-game dev and his fans :)

Anyways, have a great weekend and please keep following the SKALD project! I'm also at twitter and try to post regularly there so feel free to follow me there as well!

Alchemist

Arcane

I’m sorry, I didn’t see your game anywhere...can you point me to where it is again?
Heh - I know who this guy Krice is from my time lurking around the roguelike development community. Let's see, he has a "next generation roguelike" vaporware project in development almost as long as Grimoire called Kaduria:
Development started in 1995, game was originally much like NetHack.

In the game you play a role of an adventurer who journeys into a dwarven cave kingdom - Kaduria. Dwarfs who live in Kaduria deeply hate humans like you, but there are more dangerous creatures lurking in the dark and they are after you...
Kaduria has organic caves with irregular shaped rooms, underground rivers and ponds, strange plants and even small forest areas. The gameplay features a scrolling view with line-of-sight and dynamic lighting effects.
-- Official site
Status
The previous version (0.4.6) has been removed as 'out of date' (around Nov 2008?) and no new download is yet available.
YohlIX9.jpg
Looks pretty innovative / non-derivative huh? :lol:

And he also worked on a simple roguelike called Teemu (which did get released) : http://paulkp.mbnet.fi/teemu/teemu.htm
Oh there's that Banana Rogue project too, which is a port of Advanced Rogue from 1985.

From what I remember of his interactions in the roguelike scene, he has plenty to say about all the things developers are doing wrong, while producing very little himself.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
#5 The real hard part of game development is creativity? Every Tom, Dick, and Harry can come up with ideas. There's millions of unrealised ideas out there. Ideas are the easy part: creating something, building and designing it, bug fixing, and most of all finishing something is the hard part!

I'm only going to reply to this from that long list of nonsense. Ideas are something everyone has, most of them are bad but some of them are brilliant. You confuse ideas with game design, which I think is typical to a person who doesn't know what he is talking about. Using existing stuff is always easier than anything else, that's it. Have you ever tried to design a completely new role-playing system? It's difficult, that's why most developers use existing systems. They are in most cases already balanced and work in their own context.

d1nolore

Savant
#5 The real hard part of game development is creativity? Every Tom, Dick, and Harry can come up with ideas. There's millions of unrealised ideas out there. Ideas are the easy part: creating something, building and designing it, bug fixing, and most of all finishing something is the hard part!

I'm only going to reply to this from that long list of nonsense. Ideas are something everyone has, most of them are bad but some of them are brilliant. You confuse ideas with game design, which I think is typical to a person who doesn't know what he is talking about. Using existing stuff is always easier than anything else, that's it. Have you ever tried to design a completely new role-playing system? It's difficult, that's why most developers use existing systems. They are in most cases already balanced and work in their own context.

If you dug into the OP a little bit you would see that the website is for his SKALD Role Playing system. Which it states is a RPG ruleset + a game engine. So unless I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here I can't actually see where the specifics are outlined enough for someone to know what the game is or isn't in terms of features or creativity. He's still moving the UI around.. You're making a lot of assumptions about someone elses project.

Alchemist

Arcane
Whenever I look at the screenshots, this starts playing.

Funny because this is pretty much playing in my head all the time :)

You may want to check out this for additional inspiration. Some of these tunes are god-tier.

I'm listening to the Dinosaur soundtrack and man, you aren't kidding about god-tier! This has to be some of the best FM-based game music I've heard. The composers sure put that Yamaha chip to amazing use. I need to hear what else they've made.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

You may want to check out this for additional inspiration. Some of these tunes are god-tier.

I'm listening to the Dinosaur soundtrack and man, you aren't kidding about god-tier! This has to be some of the best FM-based game music I've heard. The composers sure put that Yamaha chip to amazing use. I need to hear what else they've made.

Always happy to help, my friend.
:love:

Try Sorcerian.

Ysaye

Arbiter

Its by the Falcom JDK team - of course it's god tier.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From what I remember of his interactions in the roguelike scene, he has plenty to say about all the things developers are doing wrong, while producing very little himself.

Describes almost everyone on this site, he'll fit right in.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
View attachment 10574

Hi! Have been playing around w camera post-processing this week! I feel like adding a option to play SKALD w a CRT filter is a small but integral part of the social contract between a retro-game dev and his fans :)

Anyways, have a great weekend and please keep following the SKALD project! I'm also at twitter and try to post regularly there so feel free to follow me there as well!

You should include an option to use all of those filters...

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
View attachment 10574

You should include an option to use all of those filters...

Hi! Will allow the player to choose from a handfull of filters OR play without (probably the default option) :) It's more of a gimmick really but a handfull of all-in retro nerds might dig it :)

Krice

Arcane
Developer
he has plenty to say about all the things developers are doing wrong, while producing very little himself.

As if you need to first create bunch of games to criticize something. It was probably wrong to single out this game, because this is a more generic issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom