Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm interested...

Mentor

Novice
Ok, newbie posting. Just a few quick questions for you guys...

1) Wasteland was the great grand-father of Sci-FI RPGS and, if not for it, Fallout would never have existed. Correct?

2) Baldur's Gate ressurected the concept of the Fantasy PC RPG. Correct?

3) Gothic is one of the best RPGs every created, despite a few niggles. Correct?

4) Anachronox was a sucess in bringing the feel of a Console RPG to the PC. Correct?

5) NWN does what it was built to do: bring the PNP experience to an online world. Correct?

6) Fable will bring RPG gaming to a new level of interactivity and immersiveness. Not to mention fun. Correct?

7) Bard's Tale 1 was, and still is, one of the best pure dungeon romps ever. Correct?

8) The new Bard's Tale will one-up it in all ways, prooving that Fargo is still a gaming god. Correct?

9) just because it's not turn based doesn't meant it's not an RPG. Nor does it mean it's crap. Look at Dungeon Siege, or Morrowind. Or NWN...

Also, Fallout 1 and 2 are equal in quality in their own ways, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are the same. The Fall will be the next Fallout in terms of evolution of the genre, and STALKER will be the next Deus Ex in the same manner.

Discuss.

You've lurked here for an indeterminate amount of time and decided to be n00b #3821238232 to go a-trollin on his first post. Correct?

Just search for old topics, most of this stuff has already been beaten to death if you're that curious.

Mentor

Novice
Actually, no. I came here for the first time about an hour ago, and I thought I would get a compressed version of the opinions present.

No "trolling" intent, whatever that means...

Mentor

Novice
When was I sarcastic? Those are my opinions. No sarcasm, no attempts at rousing any anger. I just wanna know what you guys think about the games mentioned.

Mentor

Novice
Niggle means problem or error, dude. Not nigger. That isn't a typo.

You need to calm down, yo.

Psilon

Erudite
Oh god, here comes another 9-page extravaganza.

In order: Maybe, no, no, didn't play it, hell no, very dubious, not really, just as dubious, choose better examples than the awful DS, bland MW, and generally-despised-around-here NWN.

Now shut up and simply read the existing threads before posting another piece of oblivious crap. If you need help, look for threads longer than four pages. Most of them will contain the expanded view of what I just gave you.

Ghetto Goose

Novice
What is that "yo" in there for? I find that offensive. Trying to insult me through sarcastically emulating the stereotypical response of what you think a black man sounds like?

You are a horrible person.

Mentor

Novice
Actually, I usually say yo, just because I like the sound of it, no racial connection whatsoever. Who said I was insulting you? How do you know that I'm not black, just because I don't announce it to the world like it's some sort of badge of honor? Why is skin tone so important to you? Why are you so defenseive?

Those are good examples. DS was a good dungeon-crawl. Morrowind was a good huge game. NWN was a good online PNP-type experience.

Most of the existing threads are huge, which kinda turns one off from reading them because of time constraints and other things.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
Your original post gives the impression that you might just be interested in pissing people off than obtaining opinions. In particularly this one...

9) just because it's not turn based doesn't meant it's not an RPG. Nor does it mean it's crap. Look at Dungeon Siege, or Morrowind. Or NWN..

It sounds like you migrated from a forum where it's a regular practice to claim that frequent posters on the codex equate TB with roleplaying. I've never seen anything to indicate that this is the case. It doesn't help that you listed every game that's despised by nearly all in these parts.

The Bard's Tale thing is also questionable. It's inevitable that people would wonder why someone would believe that a new game that supposedly carries on the tradition of a classic series only superficially maintains any ties to the original...

If you're actually interested in getting some feedback, it may not happen.

Mentor said:
Most of the existing threads are huge, which kinda turns one off from reading them because of time constraints and other things.

Yet expecting all of us to take the time to repeat ourselves is hunky-dory. Are you expecting a 9-pager of your own? In that case, just save us the time, save yourself the time of having to come up with "witty" retorts, and read. It will really be much quicker for you in the long run, assuming that's what you're really interested in in the first place.

Amerestatistic said:
Your original post gives the impression that you might just be interested in pissing people off than obtaining opinions. In particularly this one...

9) just because it's not turn based doesn't meant it's not an RPG. Nor does it mean it's crap. Look at Dungeon Siege, or Morrowind. Or NWN..

It sounds like you migrated from a forum where it's a regular practice to claim that frequent posters on the codex equate TB with roleplaying. I've never seen anything to indicate that this is the case. It doesn't help that you listed every game that's despised by nearly all in these parts.

Yeah, my spidey-sense went off there, too. Too transparent an attempt at button-pushing, should have just gone with one or two. On my more paranoid days, I start to think coming here is some kind of weird initiation ritual from some dark corner of the web. Kind of like how cavemen used to have to go slay a bear in single combat to become a man. Only in these case they just inevitably get mauled but then return to the cave and tell their buddies "Yeah, but you should see the bear. Hur hur." And then everyone sits around the campfire discussing all their imaginary victories against the big, dumb bear, while the bear just goes on being a bear, mauling the odd caveman every two weeks when for some inexplicable reason yet another one decides to barge into his cave and poke him in the eye for no apparent reason. While getting slightly more weary of the existential silliness of the whole situation after each one.

Psilon

Erudite
Mentor said:
Yeah, because people don't register at a forum to read threads, after all. Of course, if it's merely the size of the thread that counts, you could always start another one in complete ignorance of the seventy-odd that came before you. No, wait, that's been tried already.

Jed

Cipher
Mentor said:

1) Wasteland was the great grand-father of Sci-FI RPGS and, if not for it, Fallout would never have existed. Correct?

3) Gothic is one of the best RPGs every created, despite a few niggles. Correct?

4) Anachronox was a sucess in bringing the feel of a Console RPG to the PC. Correct?

5) NWN does what it was built to do: bring the PNP experience to an online world. Correct?

6) Fable will bring RPG gaming to a new level of interactivity and immersiveness. Not to mention fun. Correct?

7) Bard's Tale 1 was, and still is, one of the best pure dungeon romps ever. Correct?

8) The new Bard's Tale will one-up it in all ways, prooving that Fargo is still a gaming god. Correct?

9) just because it's not turn based doesn't meant it's not an RPG. Nor does it mean it's crap. Look at Dungeon Siege, or Morrowind. Or NWN...

Also, Fallout 1 and 2 are equal in quality in their own ways, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are the same. The Fall will be the next Fallout in terms of evolution of the genre, and STALKER will be the next Deus Ex in the same manner.

Discuss.
I will give you a very serious answer that actually represents the true feelings of MOST of the REGULARS at the RPG Codex:

NO ON ALL COUNTS.

Shevek

Arcane
I can only assume you must be trolling since you are going to great lengths to say everything that is opposite from what many assert here. Still, I am bored, so I will play.

1) This may be true but it may not (I would guess its not the case). Many of the developers/designers behind FO probably didnt even play Wasteland.
2) Hmm, Im not so sure about that. Fantasy cRPGs have been thick on the ground for a long time and at a fairly steady pace since long before BG. BG may have brought the experience to more gamers but the Ultimas, Daggerfall, Betrayal at Krondor, Wizardrys, Might&Magics, Gold Box titles etc dont seem to indicate a long dead genre.
3) The boys at RPGDot love the Gothic but many here do not hold it to such high esteem.
4) Anachronox was an adventure game as far as I am concerned.
5) NWN was marketted as more than just an online experience. Though it did better than previous titles in allowing players to create modules and play them with friends, the single player experience was terrible. Not to mention, the graphics were rather lackluster considering when it came out and the size of the development team and the ruleset was hacked up quite a bit (not to mention they left out all the neat prestige classes and when they finally put them in they implemented them poorly)
6) Fable is being made by a guy that tends to overhype his games (though he has made some alright stuff). I would argue that the game, being on a console, probably wont be very good and will be aimed at less discerning gamers who will find the slightest degree of choice and decent storytelling better than the linear anime drivel that gets pushed on them.
7) BT1 was good for its time but within years other titles managed to surpass it in dungeony goodness.
8) The new BT will be little more than a standard console actioner with some humor thrown in. This does not a gaming god make.
9) Well, this is true BUT Dungeon Siege is crap. The game is a simplified version of Progress Quest. You will find that though many here enjoy TB titles we have no problem with well done RT games (such as KoTOR or Freedom Force). Still, Morrowind, DS, etc are not what many here would term good games.

Though this is often debated, many feel FO1 is a bit better than FO2. Though FO2 is larger, it tends to be inconsistent as far as setting goes and it inserts too many jokes and pop culture references (which tend to break immersion). Also, FO1 allowed you to kill the last guy with Speech. That's huge.

BG1 and 2 are certainly not the same.

The Fall will most likely disappoint. The developer needed people to explain to him why exactly a Speech skill was a good thing. He has had to identify with FO in order to get hype for his game which suggests his title cannot stand on its own. In many ways, the title will most likely be a regression of the genre rather than an evolution since many design decisions (such as the move to RT) have been made not on the basis of making a better game but, instead, to broaden appeal.

Stalker has NO character development. NONE. The game has NO cRPG elements. The developer do not seem very in touch with what an rpg is when they equate player skill development with character development. The next Deus Ex (or System Shock 2 for that manner) will be Bloodlines as far as genre mixing goes (FPS + RPG elements).

Tiliqua

Liturgist
I liked BT alot but rate NWN as one of the great disappointing games of this decade. So much buildup, hype, it was to be all things to all people and then it got released. It was a first step towards a computer based PnP experience, but that's all, a first step. The Aurora engine sucks, if you want to see a decent 3D engine play SWG and check out the difference. The camera angle was revolting, the OC was hideous, I couldn't get past Cht 2.

And the players - ha. Everyone during development of NWN was crapping on about what legendary roleplayers they were and yet 99% of people I had the misfortune to play with were hack and slashers and often loot hoggers as well

I know the guys here have vented about NWN ad nauseum but as a newbie here I just wanted to give my 2 cents

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Anyone else noticed he left the "Correct?" off at the end of question 9? Bizzarro.

Ausir

Arcane
Correct.

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

Never played it.

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

9) just because it's not turn based doesn't meant it's not an RPG. Nor does it mean it's crap.

Correct.

Look at Dungeon Siege, or Morrowind. Or NWN...

Bad examples.

Also, Fallout 1 and 2 are equal in quality in their own ways.

Incorrect.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are the same.

Correct.

The Fall will be the next Fallout in terms of evolution of the genre.

Incorrect.

Sol Invictus

Erudite

Incorrect. Fallout was an original sci-fi/post apocalyptic RPG which only paid a small tribute to the world of Wasteland. They are in two completely different post apocalyptic settings, and even if Wasteland never existed, there's no reason why no other sci-fi RPGs couldn't be made. If you'll read Leon Boyarsky's recent interview at NMA you will know that he proposed the 'sci-fi future of the 50s' setting in Fallout. That was never in Wasteland.

To a degree. Some would argue that Diablo resurrected fantasy PC-CRPGs, but Diablo was much more of a dungeon crawler than an actual story-intensive RPG campaign which instead resurrected dungeon crawlers, rather than Fantasy cRPGs as Baldur's Gate did. Baldur's Gate was pivotal to the creation of PS:Torment, Icewind Dale, and numerous non-dungeon crawler fantasy-CRPGs. The last true fantasy CRPG before Baldur's Gate was Ultima 7, but Fallout was much more important in the introduction of actual plot-changing choices in CRPGs.

Incorrect. Gothic was horrible for 2/3rds of the game.

That is correct. Anachronox brought the epic feeling of a console RPG storyline, and delivered original, likeable characters, as well as having a very nice science-fiction setting. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Only to a degree. Opinions will vary from person to person. The game itself was an abysmal piece of shit.

Incorrect. Fable is being dumbed down as we speak, with many of its pivotal features being removed for the sake of political correctness (thou shalt not commit evil) and because the X-Box is incapable of handling much of what they originally planned to implement. The X-Box is too weak, performance wise. They grossly overestimated the capabilities of the console when they first put the game into development. It would have probably lived up to its hype if it was planned for the pc rather than the X-Box.

Incorrect.

Incorrect. It is a BGDA clone with jokes in it.

Those are bad examples of good real time RPGs.

STALKER will be crap.

Whipporowill

Erudite
1) Probably not, at least it would've been different. As I haven't played Wastelands I can't comment on how much

2) As been said. To some degree, yes.

3) Wouldn't say one of the best, but I certainly like it very much. Seems I'm in a minority here at the Codex though. I prefer 2 to 1.

4) Never managed to install it on XP, it keeps crasching during install - hardly the console feel you're after. So no comment.

5) Hah. I don't think anyone here but Volourn plays it online - I had hopes for it, before I tried the OC

6) Probably dumbed down enough to not matter as an RPG.

7) Uh, yeah. Or maybe that's just nostalgia talking

8) I grit my teeth. Blasphemy to use the title like that.

9) I agree. Bad examples though.

the Fall - evolution? Laughable, just hyping and rehashing old stuff. Where's the evolution you're talking about? As for Stalker being the next Deus Ex? I had the impression it was waaaay more free form. If it's ever released we'll see if it's even PLAYABLE!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hah. I don't think anyone here but Volourn plays it online"

Hahahaha, but no.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Mentor said:

Not entirely true. There were a lot of CRPGs back in the 1980s that had a sci-fi and even post apocalyptic setting. Origin's 2400AD came out before Wasteland. Scavengers of the Mutant World came out three years before Wasteland. FTL, before they made Dungeon Master, made Sundogs: Frozen Legacy, which was also out before Wasteland.There was also Broderbund's Centauri Alliance.

That would be Diablo, which came out a full two years prior to Baldur's Gate.

Hardly. In fact, I'd rather Morrowind higher than I would Gothic because of one simple reason. Once you pick a faction in Gothic, you get locked in to the linear storyline and there are no sidequests or anything else to do other than that story. In Morrowind, at least if you hate the story, you can always do guild stuff and faction stuff along the way. There's also quite a bit of stuff to explore as well, whereas nearly all the locations in Gothic are story specific.

There were others before Anachronox like Septerra Core. I just don't like console style RPGs, so I avoid them.

Nope. It sold millions of copies, very few people played it online to any extent compared to the number of sales it had. In fact, in nearly all the publicity for the game, they promised a great single player campaign, which they failed to deliver.

After Black & White, I'm less likely to buy in to the hype from this company.

I dunno, SSI made some damned good dungeon crawlers. So did Epyx, who made the Apshai games. Epyx also brought Rogue to the commercial platforms.

I can't see this happenning. Just the fact it auto-equips better items for you and auto-sells lesser items makes me question Fargo's design skills. I know I certainly don't want a feature like that in a CRPG.

I think turn based works better because you can do more in turn based than you can in real time.

The Fall will be the next Fallout in terms of evolution of the genre,

No, this is like saying that because your friend beat you in a drag race with his 1978 Chevy Nova, you should run out and get a 1985 Chevy Nova to beat him because it's seven years more advanced. The 1978 Nova had a 305ci V-8, and the 1985 one is a 4 cylinder compact.

and STALKER will be the next Deus Ex in the same manner.

Well, Deus Ex sucked, IMHO, so I'd hope STALKER was a little better. Then again, I'm not too interested in STALKER.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom