Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Low Magic Age: OGL Of The East - now available on Early Access

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's a full game now. The only thing that people are bitching about is their expectations of what kind of game it should be versus what kind of game it actually is. It was never meant to be a sprawling dungeon crawler with a deep story. It started as a battle simulator, reminiscent of the Gold Box games, with a full Arena mode.

Is it so wrong to want them to use their engine to create an actual game ?

On the contrary, i think it'd be a mistake if they didn't.
It could be an add-on or a sequel but if they don't do it, they have no business sense.

Martyr

Arcane
I just played Low Magic Age for 20 minutes and tbh I'm strongly considering a refund. I mean, is there any reason to play this game if you already own Knights of the Chalice or Temple of Elemental Evil? sorry to say so, but I don't think there's a reason for keeping Low Magic Age.
Arena is just fighting. the Adventure Mode isn't finished yet but as far as I've seen, I'm not impressed. overworld exploration reminds me of Battle Brothers, dungeon exploration reminds me of the map in Darkest Dungeon, fighting seems to be a stripped version of the Gold Box Games, visiting a town reminds me of Mount & Blade without the possibility to actually walk in the town.
I'm not sure if I've barely scratched the surface and maybe my first impression of this game is wrong or if I've already seen everything LMA has to offer; I'd love to read some opinions on my problem with this game.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just played Low Magic Age for 20 minutes and tbh I'm strongly considering a refund. I mean, is there any reason to play this game if you already own Knights of the Chalice or Temple of Elemental Evil? sorry to say so, but I don't think there's a reason for keeping Low Magic Age.
Arena is just fighting. the Adventure Mode isn't finished yet but as far as I've seen, I'm not impressed. overworld exploration reminds me of Battle Brothers, dungeon exploration reminds me of the map in Darkest Dungeon, fighting seems to be a stripped version of the Gold Box Games, visiting a town reminds me of Mount & Blade without the possibility to actually walk in the town.
I'm not sure if I've barely scratched the surface and maybe my first impression of this game is wrong or if I've already seen everything LMA has to offer; I'd love to read some opinions on my problem with this game.
No, that's pretty much it. If you don't enjoy it, get a refund. Although, calling the combat stripped down Gold Box is an exaggeration. Low Magic Age has more options for every class.

Martyr

Arcane
calling the combat stripped down Gold Box is an exaggeration. Low Magic Age has more options for every class.
is that so?
of course as I've said, I've only played 20 minutes of LMA and only experienced low level content but otoh I've finished every Gold Box Game, so maybe the comparison wasn't that adequate.
I'll certainly keep LMA on my wishlist to see if there'll be any progress that justifies a rebuy.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
is that so?
Well yeah, it's essentially (stripped down) 3.5E, which is always gonna be more complex than Gold Box's 1E. Fighters can grapple and shit, et cetera. If you've played KotC and TOEE you know the drill. I'm not talking about encounter design here, obviously, just combat mechanics (and whether or not the added complexity makes for better combat is also a matter of opinion).

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

Because it's not either of those games. They're good RPGs. LMA is a Gold-Box style rogue-like, giving you the opportunity to endlessly forge your own path instead of following a set path. Two different experiences with similar mechanics. If that doesn't appeal to you, then yeah...you should refund.

For a similar experience to LMA with worse graphics, but better implementation, you can also try Old School Computer Game (not available on Steam, but available at DriveThru RPG or RPGNow).

Martyr

Arcane
LMA is a Gold-Box style

:love:

rogue-like

:deadtroll:

For a similar experience to LMA with worse graphics, but better implementation, you can also try Old School Computer Game (not available on Steam, but available at DriveThru RPG or RPGNow).

yeah, I did forget to mention that LMA reminded me of the Old School Computer Game during overworld and town exploration and of course in battles. but I already have OSCG so imo I really don't need LMA right now, because I've got the Gold Boxes, KotC and OSCG and I don't need a mixture of these games.

Martyr

Arcane
So this game is not as good as KOTC?
I didn't want to refund KotC after 20 minutes, so my personal answer is a big fat NO.
KotC is a modern masterpiece; LMA will maybe be good but atm it's kind of bland.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I wouldn't go that far but i played an earlier version for 3-4 hours and arrived to a similar conclusion.

Hipsters would tell you it's a rooooogueu-like (for some reason, every hipster falls in love with a game that has nothing new to offer after playing it for an hour) and not a cRPG, well, i agree with that.

The sad part is the character creation is amazing and the combat is good but that's not enough.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I think people are being negative about the game for the wrong reasons. It doesn’t claim to be the next great CRPG and it never did. I bought it in early access and haven’t had any regrets about it. It can be quite fun to generate a party, take them through several dungeons and watch them grow more powerful over time.

It’s not going to be for everyone. Comparing it to KoTC or ToEE isnt quite fair; because aside from D&D based rules and turn based combat, they’re not the same kind of game.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
They are working on to add more story content and such.
Though their estimation when it's ready seemed to be on optimistic side.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/576770/announcements/detail/3405180256894781167
Next Update
19 Nov, 2018 @ 5:43pm - Low Magic Studios
Hi! Adventurers,

Recently, some enthusiastic players asked about the current development situation of Low Magic Age and when the next update comes ;)

At present, we are working on the story-line, including the dialogue module and the main/side quest module, at full stretch. These complex modules need 1-2 extra months to complete, more or less.

The reason for postponing other game contents and developing the story first is that many new game contents need the cooperation of the story module. For example, various guilds, banks, urban construction and management, and crafting in the adventure mode, etc., all these features need to come with stories or quests to be more complete and interesting, rather than abruptly added into the game.

Thank you again for your support and patience! See you next update.

-- AM

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/games/576770/announcements/detail/1798530504242084228
v0.91.00 Patch Notes
28 Feb @ 10:33am - Low Magic Studios
d3bbaf7dca0964b583e3a3ce0bc24ac474a9ee3b.jpg

d6413e02b1c5793c88675e0f9f788cc8f72b6cf0.jpg

Added first part of main quests
Added the banker event
Added banking services in towns (after the banker event)
Added the "Unique" item type (no world drops yet, only through plots and quests)
Adjusted locations of some towns and adventure sites for the story

ff235c7a8b0dc9a8928005d7405ff4ec75dd06cb.jpg

1a2f287ec3ca8e7aa4432715f0bf64545790716c.jpg

Added storage box in Arena
Show available trade license and bank signs of towns on world map
Added or modified tips of some town functions
Increased chance of BOSS of the deepest level of dungeons
Delay refreshing of target dungeons of Extermination town quests
Removed old adventure tutorial

Adjusted intelligence type of constructs from Instinctual to Advanced Tactical

22ffba359c85c97d669982e730d9fd08c2b267d0.jpg

27f822c99f8d9da8fca13da50226dbf992e82e57.jpg

Fixed a bug of Extermination town quests
Fixed path issues when start game multiple times
Fixed time lapse issues in towns or showing modal windows

Fixed item material changing bug of Arena store
Fixed potion type changing bug of temples
Fixed Armor Proficiency bug for Mithril armor
Fixed invalid Repair of Clockwork Servant

Fixed dialog flicking issues
Fixed horizontal scroll bar issues
Fixed scroll bar mouse-over issues
Removed "Beta" from the Adventure button

554ae37ed9a4528015e476d9fa530b49e42acfe1.jpg

2aad09b3d502478a87fb32b6429fa19e52673f03.jpg

Note: When you encountered a bug, please zip and send your saves (the game folder\saves) to support@lowmagicage.com. It's extremely useful for debugging.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Had this game on my wishlist for many years. It will probably be a few more before I think about trying it.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Not a major number update, but adds some skills/feats and some other improvements.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/576770/announcements/detail/1599254462557463571

v0.91.14 Patch Notes
31 May @ 8:09am - Low Magic Studios
4abe70078ee56a51901fff54f89cb5afc5d5c993.jpg

89979548edeb379b33ac173d9459a6116ccde6c2.jpg

Added 5 new skills:
Intimidate
Bluff
Sense Motive
Heal
Concentration

Added 6 new actions/feats for the new skills:
Intimidate
Feint
Improved Feint
First Aid
Treat Bleeding
Treat Poison

Added concepts of Class Skill and Cross-class Skill
Skill ranks automatically grow according to class/cross-class restrictions (skill points and manual ranks will be added next update)
Optimized Skills window: party highest skills list; character skills list; class/cross-class identifications

Now if damaged by attacks of opportunity while casting a spell, a Concentration check is need to continue the casting

Fixed circumstance modifiers for melee touch actions
Fixed carrying capacity bug caused by tremendous Strength and set Str 50 as the upper limit for carrying capacity
Optimized context menus of battlefield and action bar
Optimized character bars
Optimized memory usage of preset characters
Unified terms of Standard Action and Move Action, etc.

fccb5066c7f8c54e4b52eb39a69ff3eb7a4610c9.jpg

3a349b474ca2665476eb281412cfc1fc318eff47.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You'd think they'd improve and fix the minor combat and UI issues by now but they didn't :
  • In combat, either you move and then attack or you can't choose which tile to attack from, really useful feature which was here in the HoMM series (even the first one 25 years ago), does that mean we loose the charge bonus ? I have no idea ...
  • In battle, you don't know where the enemy is but the AI always do and often can shoot you from out of your sight, funny thing, your elementals/summons knows where the enemy is (so you just wait and then follow them :roll:
  • The game has a couple of seconds lag every day at midnight (probably quest refreshing related)
  • The traveling map isn't so bad but it's not very good either, battle brothers does it better (no roads in particular and you can't cross mountains)
  • The trap thing in dungeons is just retarded because you can't do anything to improve your trap skills as far as i know so with a string of bad luck, you just have to camp
Other than that, it's solid, interesting combat/economic simulator with good item progression and interesting enemies (except these few dungeons where you almost only fight queen ants, nothing against ants but 8 in a row isn't fun)

Item progression is good but maybe a bit too restrictive; items sold and looted seem capped by party level; would be nice if you could get 1 tier higher when fighting bosses and more powerful enemies.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
So having bought LMA a long time back, I finally decided to give it an extensive playthrough. Good stuff, shit is very addictive :incline:. I clocked in 14 hours in just two days, though I'm starting to feel a bit burned out without new content (it's the same grind over and over again).

Still, for $5 (or whatever I paid for it when it was on sale), it's well-worth the money.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I believe it's 6 :
  • Warrior
  • Barbarian
  • Thief
  • Ranger
  • Mage
  • Cleric
Edit : My bad, it's still 5 (no ranger, it's a warrior specialized in ranged weapons) but they offer some pre-made characters specialized into subclasses such as summoner, undead hunter and the likes (10 of them)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom