Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic-inspired retro blobber Legends of Amberland released on Steam Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown; Silver Lemur Games

Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown is a fun-looking turn-based, open-world retro blobber by Silver Lemur Games, a one-man indie studio from Poland run by Krzysztof Koźmik AKA LordArchibald. It's inspired by a variety of classic grid-based blobbers and in particular Might & Magic 3-5, which it resembles to no small degree. The game has been in development for a while now and has reached the stage where it could use some testing via a Steam Early Access release. Here's the launch trailer:

That's some delightfully chunky pixel art. Legends of Amberland is available on Steam now for $25, with a 10% launch discount until next week. As the Early Access FAQ states, the game's final release is expected in June.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I have very high hopes for this. I still think this has been a very rushed release, I wouldn't have expected this stage of development (releasing it to the public) until sometime next year.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not only they copied the interface of M&M , they also copied the characters, - the wizard and ranger are in the exact same position you would find them in M&M 3 when you hire them in the first city

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been playing Might & Magic 3 recently. Honestly it looks much, much better than this. In fact this looks like trash.

I have no problem in playing a game which looks like Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder in 2019, if such a game manages to keep the best of old-school and, at the same time, apply the improvements which were invented in these last 20 years.
I'd say it's a bit like Necromancy: working with dead parts and create something which is better and stronger than the original bodies. Grimoire seems like a good example of this.

On the other hand I have more and more problems in playing a retro-game which seems to keep all the good and bad parts of old-school gaming, without trying to bring something new or better to the table.
I find it similar no Necrophilia: loving dead bodies.

Of course, I haven't played the game, so who am I to know? It could very well be an excellent piece of RPG work.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It is pretty funny about the order even so good catch. I haven't followed this developer but heard of the game; is it his first? Sequels perhaps?

LootSeeker

Educated
Love the look and trailer music.

From what I gather from some of the information I read about this game is that it's simpler than Wizardry, Grimoire and M&M in respect to being able to quickly pick up and start playing without getting too bogged down understanding a plethora of mechanics or figuring out puzzles all over the place during gameplay. Amberland's main focus seems to be exploring the game world, doing quests and discovering lore.

I've never been a fan of early access though. I'll wait for it to be done.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
On the other hand I have more and more problems in playing a retro-game which seems to keep all the good and bad parts of old-school gaming, without trying to bring something new or better to the table.

You are correct Sir, thats the thin line all these "nostalgia" games have to walk, and I agree you can only go so far with copying, there has to be some part of the game that adds something new to the equation.

But I am always excited to see a project like this so I really hope this dude can bring something unique. I like the emphasis on fast but turn based combat, the best thing about M&M games is how you can blitz through weak monsters, and then you hit something harder you can instantly switch into "Tacticool" mode.

zeitgeist

Magister
fW5G8ny.png

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I like the idea but I have to agree with karnak . Despite being released today the game looks worse than the original M&M3 which is now more than 20 years old. On the other hand there isn't anything that would make it substantially different from the original games. Makes you wonder why would anyone play this over old M&M, unless he knows them all by heart by now.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And my mind read youwere going home to play with boobs. This damn blobber word.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What is this obsession with massive party sizes in blobbers? Five is sufficient. More player characters doesn't translate into a better game, usually it just adds tedium.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What is this obsession with massive party sizes in blobbers? Five is sufficient. More player characters doesn't translate into a better game, usually it just adds tedium.
You can always play with less characters, I remember killing off my 7th and 8th party members in M&M3 so I could have more inventory space ( and not have to pay the fuckers )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom