Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risk of Rain 2

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Change from 2D to 3D has got me interested.

Arnust

Savant
The game has 50.000 active players right now on Steam.

FIFTY THOUSAND

That's literally 100 times the ones of ROR1! It seems like the Gearbox publishing deal was pretty damn huge for it. Really happy for Hopoo, Paul and uh, the third dude.

Ent

Savant
The buy one get one free deal along with positive word of mouth was probably a bigger deal than the gearbox publishing. I didn't even realize gearbox published it until you mentioned it just now.

Arnust

Savant
Captura.PNG

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fooled around in it a bit. Needs a lot more polish. Not enough items, the existing items are terribly balanced, and the overall gameplay is just way too much kiting. As expected, the AoE aspect of a lot of attacks/items doesn't translate well into 3D, since the equivalent of an old piercing shot would now need to be a 180 degree arc. Adding in a lot more uneven terrain makes it even worse. And so many fucking flying enemies. Christ. Finding the teleporters and even chests is a lot more frustrating too, since it's now a fucking find the magic pixel hunt. Sure you can see what would have been screens away previously, but now you can't see behind a rock 10 feet away without walking past it and turning around, which combined with the search area being so much greater makes it way more tedious to try comb through the levels.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is nowhere near done or fun. It's shit.

Thank you codex for recommending the worst kind of retarded popamole.

Last edited:

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
I think I can't enjoy games anymore. We did play it with three people. Where is the challenge? We could hold out basically unlimited on the "AHAHAHAHAH" or whatever on normal. Just walk around and circle-strafe/move like some MLG Pr0 Gam0r, jam your mouse 1 button so you do not have to press it and use your abilities.
Am I missing something? It's utterly simplistic and the AI sucks.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think I can't enjoy games anymore. We did play it with three people. Where is the challenge? We could hold out basically unlimited on the "AHAHAHAHAH" or whatever on normal. Just walk around and circle-strafe/move like some MLG Pr0 Gam0r, jam your mouse 1 button so you do not have to press it and use your abilities.
Am I missing something? It's utterly simplistic and the AI sucks.

You aren't missing on anything. The game is garbage.

I'm just gonna copy what I wrote on steam.

Currently the game plays like Q3 with picmip cranked up to 11, yet you can't see anything and are playing against easy bots that get stuck in the walls all the time, can't hit you to save their lives, but are gradually getting more and more spongy. There's also zero gun variety and movement is a lot worse. Levels were designed over a weekend and come in an assortment of A E S T H E T I C ally pleasing colors like:

Diarrhea Brown
Swamp Stew Green
Vaporwave Purple

Avoid, at least till it's out of EA.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Pretty spot on. I do not get why these chimps rate it so highly.

My biggest issue with it is that they went 3D for absolutely no reason, usually you add a dimension for specific purpose but not in this case... Game plays and looks a lot worse than the first, I don't get it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, if anything it's the first game that was overrated. They both basically play the same way- you try to kite a bunch of enemies into a big pile then use splash damage to kill them all. It's the basic concept of it that's fun- roguelike arena fights in big open areas that reward exploration. The bones of a good game are here, it just needs more content and balancing.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The first one is a legitimately good game, it sounds like this one isn't. Also kiting into a blob and using splash damage wouldn't work at all with some classes

They have similar basic concepts, but I think you're being a little too dismissive about the difference a whole other dimension adds to the thing

track02

Novice
I played the first one enough but was really skeptical about this - especially the move to 3D
It's definitely unfinished but I think the potential is there and I feel they've pulled the 3D off - the movement to me seems very smooth and zooming around the map can be pretty enjoyable especially if you pick up some movement boosting items

Really recommend playing with some friends as solo becomes pretty tedious as the enemy health pools just increase massively in comparison to your damage output.
I know that the enemies getting stronger is kind of the point but it's still not handled in an interesting way

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://hopooo.tumblr.com/post/183824942129/hopoo-games-development-thoughts-1
Hopoo Games DevBlog
Blog of Hopoo Games, developer of Risk of Rain and DEADBOLT. Currently working on Risk of Rain 2!

Hopoo Games Development Thoughts #1

HOLYMOLY
O
L
Y
M
O
L
Y

Uh, ok. First, I just wanted to say from the whole team how absolutely floored we are with the reception so far. I was personally hoping for something to match at least half of the original game: apparently we’re doing a LOT better. It’s absolutely surreal - thank you all again.

We want to make sure the community is aware we are listening and in touch, so for the format of this post and subsequent ones in the future I want to try something new. Consider Development Thoughts to be an honest brain dump of the team. Excuse us if it’s a bit scattered in formatting.

tumblr_inline_pp754bs4aT1rcwq50_500.png

===Major Points===

Overall, we’re ecstatic with the gameplay of Risk of Rain 2. There are some crashes we are trying our best to address, especially on game boot-up.

A goal we are currently trying to figure out is the most appropriate Customer Support path going forward. We’ve been helping players manually, but a lot of players are falling through the cracks. DMing people through Discord isn’t the most efficient. Will update everyone with info once it comes.

Another goal is a general roadmap for the game: what does the future of Risk of Rain 2 look like? How frequent are patches, compared to Content Updates? Will they be major chunks of content or trickling in over time? What would the community feel would keep the game the most enjoyable throughout Early Access?

We have internally finished a patch to address a lot of initial feedback and critical bugs - it is in QA and hopefully available to everyone early next week.

===Minor Points===
• Happy with progression rate for classes - a touch faster than intended but still OK
• Happy with Rainstorm difficulty - haven’t seen much of Monsoon content to know. Drizzle is very easy but also fine.
• Pleasantly surprised with people saying performance is good - have to narrow down why it runs poorly on some high-end machines
• Happy with in-run decision making (3D Printers, Mountain Shrine, Order Shrine, etc). Should try to brainstorm more big decision points like this..
• Happy that new teleporter event rules don’t seem upsetting to RoR1 players
• Curious about content distribution - are players progressing through unlocks too fast? How long do the more difficult item unlocks take?
• Very happy with secret progressions - players are finding it at the ideal rate
• Noting lots of feedback about 4+ player lobbies. Have to consider best way forward - most likely would be a private game only option with a disclaimer.
• Noting sometimes monsters get stuck behind a closed door on Wetland Aspect
• Noting people like going fast
• Noting a lot of Quickplay Lobbies have an insane time to launch of 4000+ seconds
• Noting people like ruining their build with Shrine of Order or 3D printer
• Noting people want to be able to automatically continue sprinting after rolling
• Noting people don’t enjoy getting blasted as soon as they enter a stage

===Stuff we are working on===
• Corrupted save file preventing people from playing is very high priority to fix - this is addressed in the Monday patch.
• Happy with (mostly) class balance outside of MUL-T being a tad too strong. I think it’s worth noting here that we have a stat per attack called it’s “proc coefficient”, and it essentially defines how strong or frequent procs happen on an on-hit basis. MUL-T’s nailgun has a low proc coefficient per nail of 0.4 compared to most character’s 1.0, so he isn’t proccing stuff a ton faster than other characters.
• Very happy with Discord community aspect, but may need management help as it grows.
• Imp Boss is a bit grindy, same with Worm
• Some concerns about cheaters in Prismatic Trial. Excited for when seed rolls over.
• Hearing loud & clear about Teleporter being hard to see - want to make it still an aspect of the game without it feeling like a mistake. Players are not really noticing the passive particles - will start with a soft approach first.

Please let us know if we missed anything - our brains are a little frazzled right now. Again, thank you all SO much for the amazing launch day, and an enormous shout out to Gearbox for their absolutely great support and efforts. Crazy.

-Hopoo Games Team

https://nichegamer.com/2019/04/05/risk-of-rain-2-tops-650000-players-in-first-week/
Risk of Rain 2 Tops 650,000 Players in First Week

sser

Arcane
Developer
Bought this on account of the 2-for-1 deal they were having.

It's okay, but clearly very early in development. I would wait on it if you haven't bought it already.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I think the game is pretty pleasant. It has a nice flow to it that goes well with listening to some music or watching a youtube video on a second monitor. With some changes to the art it could be really pleasant, I constantly find myself really wishing for some tall grass to run around in. Just zooming around in the meadows kiting enemies~

I can't quite put my finger on it, but the game is so gamey in a positive way that I feel like I have been missing.

Playing it in early access feels like blowing my load a bit early however, should have probably waited with playing it until there is enough content that it didn't get samey as quickly.

Edit: it reminds me of the game Odens Öga - a game that no one has thought about since the 90s
180f.jpg

596432-odens-oga-windows-screenshot-fighting-rabbits.png

596430-odens-oga-windows-screenshot-a-wolverine.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom