Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is Blister Hill weakened? Will the troops respawned the next time you go there or can you win a game of attrition?

mondblut

Arcane
pQUge33.jpg

We will build the wall, and we'll have hungry bandits pay for that.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Finally got the game too. It's fun but holy shit, what options should I tweak to stop my graphics card from going into airplane mode???

What I did and helped IMMENSELY was:
1) Play the game in Full-Screen mode and not Borderless Window
2) Disable FXAA
3) Lower all Shadow Graphics options as much as possible

Also the game becomes much more fun if you start to get a feel for it, I'm enjoying it a lot recently

Arulan

Cipher
I just started playing this, and it's amazing.

I've already been attacked by starving bandits. After the guards helped me fend them off, I had to carry their bodies beyond the town's walls to avoid attracting Bone dogs that scavenge for corpses. As I'm doing this a group of slavers notices that one of the bodies isn't quite dead yet. They stabilize him and haul him off to the slave camps...

233860_20190405180313xzkgr.png

233860_201904051805150gjwu.png

Today I decided to embark on a journey south to another city. As I'm half-way there I get ambushed by Dust bandits and have to make a run for it. My puppy falls behind. They slaughter him for meat! My dog! Hobbs also falls behind and receives a near-death beating. Luckily another group of bandits sees this chaos and attacks the other group, giving me just enough time to come back for Hobbs and carry him away.

233860_20190406175618eukc3.png

233860_20190406175838t2kue.png

I come back later at night to scout the bastards' camp. There they are...

233860_2019040618461153k0z.png

Deleted Member 16721

^ That post would have gone perfectly in my Fluent Plays Kenshi thread. :D

Yeah, the game is amazing, I agree. Just a one of a kind masterpiece really, janky as it is. Perfectly imperfect, as they say. I look forward to returning to it after I get some downtime from other games I'm currently busy with.

mondblut

Arcane
Is there any point trying to develop that gang of "Error Code" bots? They don't seem to gain any strength while running circles overloaded after their "master", so using them for melee is rather wasteful. I am thinking of gearing them up as an auxiliary light crossbow unit, even though they've got no initial skill with it, but not sure if the investment of time and limbs is worth it.

Also, what happens to them if I import the game? Which is something I am planning to do shortly.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Finally got the game too. It's fun but holy shit, what options should I tweak to stop my graphics card from going into airplane mode???

2) Disable FXAA

Also the game becomes much more fun if you start to get a feel for it, I'm enjoying it a lot recently

idk why but when I start the game, regardless of settings it defaults to minimum potato gfx while also hammering the fans. if I alt tab out and back in all the bells and whistles kick in and it runs silky smooth for the rest of the session..

I have a GTX 770.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

2) Disable FXAA

idk why but when I start the game, regardless of settings it defaults to minimum potato gfx while also hammering the fans. if I alt tab out and back in all the bells and whistles kick in and it runs silky smooth for the rest of the session..

I have a GTX 770.

Yes the game is the worst when it comes to optimization....
So what finally happens for me is the following:
Setting "Full Screen" for any resolution other than 1920x1080 will still start the game with 1920x1080... Only with Borderless can you actually play in higher resolutions.
Also if I try to play in 4K, the GPU fans go nuts and the PC seems to overheat. The way I've "settled down" is playing in 2560x1440 Borderless without FXAA and the Shadow settings around "medium". GPU still struggles slightly but it's better...
Oh and in order to do that I actually change the resolution in Windows before launching the game (otherwise you'll have the game in a smaller window)

*Alt-tabing as you mention Grampy_Bone , will set the game to "Borderless" instead of "Full Screen" which is why you probably notice a difference

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
TLDR: Meh

And this is exactly how I feel about Kenshi. Its one of those games where I ask myself "Why am I wasting my precious time playing this?". And I should never feel that way with a good game. It seems like a great framework for an interesting game, they just forgot to add the interesting stuff to it.

Survival/Sandbox - 'The emporers new clothes' of gaming. As Porky mentioned, what makes something like Dwarf Fortress so compelling compared to this? I could probably analyze why but... eh.

And this is exactly how I feel about Kenshi. Its one of those games where I ask myself "Why am I wasting my precious time playing this?". And I should never feel that way with a good game. It seems like a great framework for an interesting game, they just forgot to add the interesting stuff to it.

Survival/Sandbox - 'The emporers new clothes' of gaming. As Porky mentioned, what makes something like Dwarf Fortress so compelling compared to this? I could probably analyze why but... eh.

I like some survival games, for example 7 Days to Die, but that game just grabs you right off the bat. You start off in a more interesting, interactive world full of stuff to do. As soon as you spawn, you can start harvesting, gathering, collecting materials and crafting/building stuff. That's a great hook. Dwarf Fortress works the same way.

In Kenshi, you just spawn in a fairly empty world, and there are no immediate things to hook the player.

Mortmal

Arcane

I like some survival games, for example 7 Days to Die, but that game just grabs you right off the bat. You start off in a more interesting, interactive world full of stuff to do. As soon as you spawn, you can start harvesting, gathering, collecting materials and crafting/building stuff. That's a great hook. Dwarf Fortress works the same way.

In Kenshi, you just spawn in a fairly empty world, and there are no immediate things to hook the player.
Its not empty there's ton of stuff but you have to travel a lot to reach it between empty places , and the "treasures" blue prints and such are in very remote locations and force you to travel through very hostile regions with no resupply points. Game is incredible tbh.

Good god, that looks like Val Kilmer's head on a female amputee's body. What the flying fuck...

Its not empty there's ton of stuff but you have to travel a lot to reach it between empty places , and the "treasures" blue prints and such are in very remote locations and force you to travel through very hostile regions with no resupply points. Game is incredible tbh.

Maybe, but that's kind of my point about needing a hook right away. Good games pull the player in right away. You can't expect somebody to wander about miles of wilderness with nothing to do for hours in the expectation that maybe later on, there will be stuff to do. That's bad design.

mondblut

Arcane
Kenshi is male nerd's farmville basically. Just as meaningless and just as addictive.

Its one of those games where I ask myself "Why am I wasting my precious time playing this?".

Applies to every game ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom