Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Nostaljaded

Savant
Zanki Zero (PS4/Vita/Steam) [2018/2019]
Real-time, grid-based party blobber, ENG to be released on 9 Apr

pw7MO0U.png

+ Real-time battle, inventory management and map viewing (enemies are not shown on mini map but some have audio cues when close by)
+ Simple puzzles, no incessant pixel finding, area of interest indicated in mini map & conveniently-highlighted on cursor hover
+ Hp, stamina, bladder, weight, stress & clione management; juggling the hexa-elements mechanic instead of the usual tri/quad-elements. Need to suspend realism on why they have to use designated washrooms to relieve
+ Can rest anywhere, with risk of enemy attacks if in open areas
+ Can run, by double tapping
+ 2 attacks & 1 support skill: Equipped weapon attack based on the its attack power, attack type (slash, thrust or bash) and associated cooldown period, 1 Clione (augmented) attack & 1 Clione support skill
+ Weapon attack also has charged attacks (by holding down attack button). Upside is for 'part break' and chaining combos for higher scores, downside is increased stamina depletion rate
+ Some enemies have parts that can be destroyed (part break). Doing so will result in more exp, higher score, specific item drop. Enemy attack pattern may change as well.

Part Targeting & Breaking
2xQTiw5.png

+ Max 4-party square formation. Some enemy attacks only hit 1 side of the party, thereby a 50% miss chance with single/dual character (if they are on the same side) formation; each non-active living member is your 7-item high-stack mule
+ Random drop from fixed enemy loot table
+ Same exp gained for living non-active members; level up only grants skill points
+ Same basic skill tree, differentiated by each character's strengths and unique skills
+ Stats and resistance growth are mainly from dying explicitly in various manners and then revived (extended) using the required score amount (Shigabane System). However, skills (mainly new abilities and passives) learned may enhance stats in specific situations
+ Various inflicted conditions for more character/item juggling
+ No economy or trading; everything is based on loot
+ Base building upgrades and base item crafting by scavenging items and from enemies' drop. 1 of the few games where crafting is crucial and works well with appropriate incentives.
+ Base functions can be easily accessed either through 'system menu' or at their designated locations
+ Saving can only be done at save points and map transitions (toggleable single-slot auto-save function); 'emergency base return' can be activated at the expense of current score.
+ Randomness factors like daily luck outcome at shrine, characters' age when starting a new stage
+ 3D anime-resque animated character models. Understandable as 4 different animations are required for the 4 ages on each character's animated pose.

Child Portrait
I9yEh8p.png

Matured Portrait
TqhcnHe.png

Character talking to a person on our left
9yR4FDw.png

+ Attention to details like the various death/Shigabane graphics, character models facing angle and slightly different versions of text/voiced lines for the 4 ages ('album' function will be unlock at later stages for customized age setting scene replays)
+ 5 difficulty modes, switchable anytime at base from Stage 2 onwards
fdZbOTf.png

nNK37Xd.png

JORYziB.png
~ All 8 characters will be available on game start; main character will be swapped for each stages
~ Less gloom n doom. Rather than dungeon crawling, exploration areas are modern, urban-based settings like office building.

- Limited enemy variety
- Cutscenes galore, unskippable can only be fast-forwarded. Annoying if kept failing at Boss fights.
- No pause for tips during loading screens

I'm on an autistic 1st run:
  • in minimizing the in-game days (don't think it has any effect/consequences on gameplay except forgoing 'bunking effects' in sharing a room overnight)
  • no deaths by enemy attacks (hence stunted stats & resistances) on 'recommended' difficulty (III)
  • & 100% explored maps
Attained by restarting each stage with the meta-knowledge gained after each stage completion; starting Stage 6 on Day 28.
6EojuO9.png
qWCLz98.png
TLDR: Die by a thousand ways, grow by a thousand deaths. A modern, easy-to-access real-time blobber entry for first-timers.
https://www.spike-chunsoft.com/zaz/

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The studio is headed by former Tales of... series producer Hideo Baba..

throw-out-the-trash.jpg

https://gematsu.com/2019/04/hideo-baba-leaves-studio-istolia-and-square-enix

Hideo Baba leaves Studio Istolia and Square Enix

Hideo Baba, the president of Square Enix subsidiary Studio Istolia, left Studio Istolia at the end of December 2018 and left Square Enix at the end of March 2019, Square Enix announced.

Baba, who is known for his past work on the Tales of series at Bandai Namco, joined Square Enix in October 2016 and become president of the February 2017-established Studio Istolia to work on a new RPG project code-named “Project Prelude Rune,” which was confirmed in September 2018 to be a PlayStation 4 title.

“Accompanying the change in Studio Istolia’s management policies, I have resigned as the company’s president as of the end of December 2018, and resigned from Square Enix as of the end of March 2019,” Baba said in a press release. “Thank you again to Square Enix Group for giving me a variety of experience. I will continue to support everyone from behind the scenes, and I sincerly hope for the further growth of Square Enix Group.”

Baba did not share any information about his plans for the future.

Thanks, Famitsu.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Tales games are such unrelenting garbage. I actually blame them quite a bit for the marked decline in the quality of JRPGs in the last decade, because retards like them and want other JRPGs to be like them. Pisses me off.

cosmicray

Savant
I blame the flagship JRPG series - Final Fantasy. And generally the SE output. Let "Tales Of" and others be midtier. Same goes for Persona - it should have remained niche.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it's not really about being midtier, it's that Tales Of games have normalized bad writing and bad anime characters are norms for JRPGs.

they're lowest common denominator shit.

cosmicray

Savant
Prior to PS3 was writing any better for Tales Of?

Btw, I've played a bit Disgaea 5 demo and noticed wacky writing and characters to the point of absurd. Is game's writing being genuinely funny or is it serious(like Star Ocean 4)? It felt more like a satire on anime, but maybe I'm wrong and it's super serious.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
it's that Tales Of games have normalized bad writing and bad anime characters are norms for JRPGs.
Final Fantasy was there from the start.
So tell us all about the "am I kawaii uguu~" bullshit that Final Fantasy, or Square in general, did to blaze the trail for Tales of Shit. SNES + PS1 era Square was incredibly diverse and not full of generic weeb grabage that Tales of is.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nigga, wat. I can somewhat understand snes, but ps1 era ff are full of
"am I kawaii uguu~" bullshit
or just simply retarded characters like Cait Sith, Selphie or Quina.
Am I being trolled here? Have you even played any of the games with these characters? A robotic animatronic controlled by a corporate suit is somehow generic weeb? You're going to have to try harder than that because all 3 examples you gave are pretty bad.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Suicidal

Arcane
Final Fantasy games (at least 7 and up) are prime dumbass weebshit, except instead of "am i kawaii, uguu" type of garbage it's retarded teenagers so edgy that you can hear Linkin Park in your mind every time they open their mouths.

Both are equally cringy in my book, unless you're twelve or mentally twelve in which case yeah, I'd imagine the former would be cringe while the latter would be "so cool and deep, bro".

Reinhardt

Arcane
I finished 3 tales of games, 4, if you count Tales of Graces which i played on emulator and it was japanese version so i still have no idea what was it about and only one final fantasy from ps1 era and later. So Tales of games are clearly better.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Well... I just played about a couple of hours of the game, and the combat is very bland. But I suspect the combat to be just a part of the game. I was expecting a crossbreeding between Danganrompa/Nonary Games/Etrian Odyssey/Dungeon Master, and, well, it is exactly this. But to understand what is "this"... this is another problem...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom