Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Didn't someone somewhere in this thread post a RPS article of hers in which she was gushing over VtMB, and basically admitted to be gay for Jeanette?
Yup, that was we. The articles:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/20/s-exe-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-part-1/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/24/vampire-masquerade-sex-e/

Some excerpts:
For this week’s S.EXE I thought I’d write you the first part of my spiral into the dark, sexy overtones of one of the best-written western RPGs we’ve got, and my quest for someone there who gives a damn about me (Jeanette)
And I say to you: is there a time at which vampires were not flimsy sexy sulkbros? Sex is the monster, my dears. The libido is the monster. It’s just who possesses it that’s under contention.
But as I say, VTMB is gutsy, in that it embraces the fang metaphor, the penetrative act – it wholeheartedly embraces an erotic overtone in a way that makes you aware that games tend to actively avoid such material.
However, what rescues VTMB from my sighs of ‘maybe we should have more diversity in the presentation of bodies here’ is the writing.
Why can’t I just stay around my own kind? I don’t deserve human contact. I’m a mess. I have to find her (Jeanette). Yeah, she sticks in the mind. She’s here to welcome me. Ah, I think. I will go through hell for you, before the sun comes up. Yes, a special kind of hell.
Bloodlines treats characters as much more complex than we have a right to expect from games, though I think there could be huge improvement in its treatment of women and sexuality, and its treatment of people of colour is very poor. It still manages to stand out from other games in the way it welcomes sexual themes

Yeah, she's definitely gay for Jeanette. And she likes the original's brand of "sexy" (with some "diversity" reservations).
Also, during the announcement she said she's constantly looking to make the sequel "sexier" in all ways possible. So there's some optimism for you Zombra.

Bloodlines 2’s approach to quest design is closer in spirit to the original than more modern RPGs, in the sense that quests won’t be flagged by NPCs with exclamations marks floating above their heads. You’ll need to explore to uncover new stories and adventures.

Important NPCs with exclamation marks is the norm now. Exploring is so last decade in video games.
:prosper:

Herumor

Scholar
Someone pointed out to me earlier todayI had missed on one other little tidbit of information from the article, sorry about that.

“We wanted to pick those clans that deliver a clear player-fantasy,” says Schlütter. “If I’m someone who just ikes to punch people in the face, we have that clan for you. If I’m someone that … in a normal roleplaying game, would play a wizard or something, we also have a clan for that.” Moreover, your choice of clan will provide access to unique abilities and also unique locations in the game. “If you want to see truly everything of the game, you will want to play it with different clans,” Schwarzer confirms.

This at least gives me some hope that the clans added later on won't be just insignificant add-ons.

Anyway, would me uploading screenshots of the preview in question be allowed? I feel like that'd be best way for people to read for themselves rather than rely on anyone's posts.

I wonder could it be possible that the player is not actually a thin-blood unlike others sired during mass embrace, but a normal vamp, although he/she thinks to be one up to a certain point in the game.

Draught of Phoenix Blood: A number of days equal to the vampire's generation after Final Death, they will reincarnate in a new body, one generation higher, retaining this power but with an incomplete picture of who they were and losing any other Attributes, Abilities, Backgrounds, and Disciplines above the new generational trait cap.

Herumor

Scholar
There's also another way a character's rising power could be explained, if we consider that diablerie might be the way the game presents a chance to go from thin-blood to full-blooded vampire; could be we' actually play as a victim of a failed diablerie attempt: an elder, who is now stuck in a new body and thus lacking his old potency and powers, but the knowledge would still be there and with enough experience and vitae said elder could relearn much of his former abilities while allowing him to move more or less unhindered by other vampires who would otherwise question an elder vampire roaming about in the streets.

This is pure speculation on my part, based on absolutely nothing.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's also another way a character's rising power could be explained, if we consider that diablerie might be the way the game presents a chance to go from thin-blood to full-blooded vampire; could be we' actually play as a victim of a failed diablerie attempt: an elder, who is now stuck in a new body and thus lacking his old potency and powers, but the knowledge would still be there and with enough experience and vitae said elder could relearn much of his former abilities while allowing him to move more or less unhindered by other vampires who would otherwise question an elder vampire roaming about in the streets.

This is pure speculation on my part, based on absolutely nothing.

And then you add an amnesia, caused by the diablerie attempt; when the vampire remember who he is, the player can choose his clan "I remember! I was a a) Tremere b) Brujah..."

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
The larp site got updated:

Tender: The Aftermath
TRENDS by Editor In Chief

2019-04-02.jpg

Strange days. We here at Trust No More want you readers to take the streets and shout, “Strange days!” Shout it until the sleepers wake up from their mundane dreams.

This is certainly our darkest day here at TNM. We’ve lost one of our own. As your humbled editor, I cop to the responsibility of it, and the responsibility of finding her, or at least making her story heard. Her name is Angela Carney. You know her as Manchuria. She’s wrote a series of articles as a major whistleblower against Tender, the would be dating app that claimed to revolutionize social media.

Angela was the co-founder of Tender, ousted by a conspiracy led by Malcolm Chandler, a conspiracy to turn her breakthrough algorithms to a predatory purpose. Angela pursued her investigation of Malcolm Chandler at great cost and great danger to herself and those who helped her. She is not the only one to vanish.

On March 21st, Angela confronted Malcolm and the world at Tender’s launch party, at the Folsom Street foundry in San Francisco. Something terrible happened there. Angela stormed the stage, interrupting Chandler’s live presentation, and then the livestream cut out. The media already seems to be forgetting the event. A great shadow swallowed it all up. There is much we don’t know. Let’s start with what we do know.

The crowd of partiers suffered mass memory loss and possible hallucination. A gas leak was reported, but that flimsy excuse seems to cover something much more purposeful and sinister.

Drained blood bags were found at the scene (we have photographic proof!). What happened at this event that required human blood?

San Francisco Today covered the story the following morning and were abysmally predictable in their reporting. We have reason to believe they are controlled by those who wish to keep this silent and who wish to secretly communicate with one another. Look at that day’s horoscope. What does the codeword “Nightingale” mean in conjunction with the lucky numbers: 2 8 18 22 26 32 66. Something is being communicated.

And what of Angela? The above-mentioned newspaper claims she was taken to an as yet undeclared mental hospital. We checked with Langley Porter Psychiatric Hospital, Community Behavioral Health Services, and dozens of other area mental hospitals. None of them have an Angela Carney registered there.

According to San Francisco Today, an eye witness, identified as Joshua Doetsch, claimed to have seen Angela wheeled away in a stretcher, at the Folsom Street Foundry, on the night in question. We tracked Doetsch down at his home in North Carolina. He recanted his story, saying “I was mistaken. Don’t know what I saw!” He slammed the door shut, refusing any further communication. Dozens of crucifixes stood near his house and on his roof, the windows were draped in rose thorns, dozens of odd piles of seeds and buttons marked the yard, and everything stank of garlic.

What does this all mean? It adds up to an obvious word; a word I am afraid to even type, because I believe the dubious reputation of our website has already endangered Angela. You see, I have reason to believe Angela was steered towards Trust No More by Malcolm Chandler and the forces he represents. The seeming outlandishness of our stories is the sort of thing that might damage Angela’s credibility and cover up her disappearance I am ashamed if I had any part in her ruin. Her name is Angela Carney, and we must seek out both her and the truths she wanted to be dragged out into the sunlight. She was one of us, but she wasn’t just another conspiracy theorist. She spoke truth to power and paid the price.

I won’t type that word, but you should know it. It’s probably itching at the end of your tongue. You want to say it. It’s a word that would give shape to every vague conspiracy, every lurking figure on a grassy knoll, and Shadow State that seeks to control us. They desire our silence, our obeisance, and our blood.

Get angry. Trust nothing. Be careful at night.

Love

Cipher
The mystic surrounding vampires is responsible for every bad idea about the subject. If you drop the biological explanation, vampires become human beings with super powers, which is anthropomorphic and silly.

No, that's the result of attempting to rationalize a mythical figure with hundreds of years of history behind it. What's your explanation for vampires disolving themselves in mist or swarms of bats? Would that be some part of their condition?

You can't come to an established setting like the World Of Darkness and try to explain away all the things that make it up. That's a setup without a payoff.
Such an approach is very much enjoyed in the internet discussions of the physical impossibility of the zombies in The Walking Dead, where this kind of retardation knows no boundaries.

Or to take the example of relatively new lore: Ask Star Wars fans how much they have come to appreciate the force after George Lucas introduced the counting of Midiclorians in blood samples.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I am honestly wondering how many DLC's this game will recieve...

At least 30 DLCs, customisation options, more music and songs, there will be "sword of Islam" dlc where you play as an assamite, a "Republic" dlc where you play as a Giovanni, a "Jade Dragon" dlc where you play as a Kui Jin, etc. I think at the end the game will cost about 200 US $.

Herumor

Scholar

The game is supposedly a year from being released and they're asking for people to sign up and work for them on the title? Isn't this a tad too late? Or is this among the finishing touches?

I have no idea what the "engineer" posting is responsible for, but at least FX artist's job description is easily found:

When you’re working as an FX artist you’ll be responsible for creating simulations such as particle systems for your game. Sometimes called a VFX artist like its feature film counterpart role, the key difference between creating VFX for games and VFX for movies is being able to create them for a real-time game engine. As simple as this sounds, building real-time FX introduces a whole new level of complexity. For example, there really isn’t any compositing in games and most games let players move around freely, so you’ll need to make sure any FX look great from any angle. Couple those challenges with the limitations that come with runtime effects and it’s obvious why as an FX artist you’ll need strong technical knowledge of particle systems and troubleshooting skills for when things don’t go as you’d expect.

I shouldn't have looked at the replies to that Twitter though, found this among them:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom