Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Sentinel

Arcane
lol @ that mod

Changing "Demon of Hatred" into "Hatred Demon". "Sakura Dragon", "Minamoto Palace", "Foster Father", "True Monk". Yeah, nice "fix" bro. Not only are most of these names awkward, but between choosing some historical reference that no one outside Japan will get (like Minamoto), the translation team correctly chose Fountainhead instead, which accurately conveys the place's place in the plot.

There's far bigger translation fuck ups in dialogue.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How is Nioh, btw? One review I read mentioned diablo-y loot, I don't like the sound of that. Can you play it by just trying to progress through new areas as you find them like a Souls game, or do you have to grind for good random EPICS to not get one shot by every quick attack?
You can pretty much ignore the randomized stats on loot and still clear the game in all difficulties. The only thing you'll need to worry about beyond the normal difficulty are set bonuses but getting full sets of armor is ridiculously trivial. When a player dies they leave a blood stain, much like in Souls, but in Nioh you instead can choose to duel the revenant of the dead player who comes equipped with the gear they use and the revenants try to mimic their playstyle. Killing these revenants has a (good) chance that they'll drop their items that they have equipped. You are probably looking at about 5-10 minutes (at most) of revenant killing to get yourself up to snuff.

Sentinel

Arcane
You forgot to mention how 90% of the playerbase uses Red Demon/of the West armor sets, and there's no way of telling what they're using before summoning the revenant, so it'll still be a pain in the ass.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's only on the normal mode and the first few regions where you aren't going to even do any revenant grinding unless you absolutely want to for some reason.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
lol @ that mod

Changing "Demon of Hatred" into "Hatred Demon". "Sakura Dragon", "Minamoto Palace", "Foster Father", "True Monk". Yeah, nice "fix" bro. Not only are most of these names awkward, but between choosing some historical reference that no one outside Japan will get (like Minamoto), the translation team correctly chose Fountainhead instead, which accurately conveys the place's place in the plot.

There's far bigger translation fuck ups in dialogue.

Yeah that Minamoto choice is clearly a case of overly eager spergies overthinking shit to an absurd degree. Even I could tell from those few paragraphs Minamoto is just making shit up, it's clearly a palace near a mountain lake - a Fountainhead Palace.

I just hope their other changes are actual fixes.

Cromwell

Arcane
O'rin of the water, any tipps? Fucking slut cant be hit, so I used confetti because the fucking description said it allowed to hit apparitions, which O'rin is (the first real one in the whole fucking game) and it does nothing. Well except doing morer damage if you hit the cunt but the problem is hitting her. wtf were these assholes smoking when they wrote these godfucking descriptions fucking fuck shit.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
O'rin of the water, any tipps? Fucking slut cant be hit, so I used confetti because the fucking description said it allowed to hit apparitions, which O'rin is (the first real one in the whole fucking game) and it does nothing. Well except doing morer damage if you hit the cunt but the problem is hitting her. wtf were these assholes smoking when they wrote these godfucking descriptions fucking fuck shit.
Only did her once. Never touched it again.
What I did was basically hit and run attacks. Once I understood how fast she destroyed my posture even when I deflected (since when do you get posture damage for successfully deflecting?) and her light speed attacks I resorted to run around and hit her a few times during openings and yeah that was it. Also keep divine confetti up at all times, use firecrackers. I don't know if ash works on her. Would be hilarious if it did.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The biggest tip for fights like these is just abandon trying correct parries and just rhythmically tap tap tap the parry button as the moves are difficult to read and rhythmic tapping will block all damage while doing a better job at not filling your posture than just holding the button. Then hold to block whenever they do NOT hit you to reduce your own posture (it's highly effective).
For her you don't have many opportunities to hit her but with patience you won't even get damaged if you keep at it. At times (possibly from the repeated tapping getting a parry right) she will look pseudo staggered, the animation halting isn't hard to miss and you get an opportunity to strike back. You don't need to do much damage to her health, her posture builds up really fast (like Genichiro) from just withstanding her blows. Another moment to strike back for heavy posture damage is when she does the sweep and you can jump over her head.

Silva

Arcane
Wow in the fight against your Owl daddy (the super version) he actually uses a lot of the shinobi techniques you learned yourself through the game. Very neat.

So From, Sekiro sell for PS4 on easter holiday, so I can play this already?
:thumbsup:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
After an hour of practice I can defeat Genichiro without getting hit and finally saw phase 2 of 3.

Grandad kills me in 2 hits with his spear. Send help.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wow in the fight against your Owl daddy (the super version) he actually uses a lot of the shinobi techniques you learned yourself through the game. Very neat.
It's a bit of a repeat of what Soul of Cinder was to DS3, if you were the player who built a little of everything in his character and swapped weapons. Cool concept, but not actually new to From's games.
Except that his moves are a whole lot more lethal. It's not too hard to avoid his firecrackers but miss just once and you won't like it one bit.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmmm, maybe phase 2 isn't so bad. If you run around a lot you can make him attack in some nice patterns, just like phase 1. Just got to 10% HP on my second phase 2 attempt by running around a lot and getting in some cheesy stabs.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Yeah. Final forms of the end boss can be cheesed easily, as he spams that leap attack all the time. To be honest this is the only way I can beat the guy. I can not deflect this guy's attacks no matter what.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Go full on defence, and when Kanji appears jump and attack. When she does her short range charge attack dodge into her side and cut her up once or twice. She is easy once you realise you are defensive as a beta.

Cromwell

Arcane
I finished orin and the spectral monk, thanks for all the advice. Now I am back at the castle and it seems from expects me to fight enemies which were minibosses not that long ago. Just that now I may be swarmed by them because the fucking roofs are full with these things. I will be 35 this year and I am officially too old and to slow for that shit.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I finished orin and the spectral monk, thanks for all the advice. Now I am back at the castle and it seems from expects me to fight enemies which were minibosses not that long ago. Just that now I may be swarmed by them because the fucking roofs are full with these things. I will be 35 this year and I am officially too old and to slow for that shit.
If you mean those purples ninja :
Their kicks count as thrust for mikiri counter. I felt them to be painfully long fights before I learned about this.
You just focus on tap parrying their spam until they do a perilous kick (mikiri counter) or sweep (jump over their head).

RapineDel

Augur
Sword Saint is not THAT hard. When you come up against him he's very tricky because you've just learned his first proper phase, assume the next one will be similar but instead have to play it out much differently. Very few of his moves are actually dangerous and all you have to do is hang back.

The thing with this game is there's much more leeway for parrying then there is in even Bloodborne which in itself is much easier for parrying then Dark Souls. Against Sword Saint, you have Mikami Counter on those long moves, you've got his jump attack which is easily dodged followed up by generally 2 hits to his HP and that's honestly about it. As long as you have some awareness and your hand ready on the parry/block button, you shouldn't be losing that much health or you're doing something fundamentally wrong.

I think what some people miss is that if you or an enemy/boss's health is lower, the posture bar takes longer to recover. Against Sword Saint you can't just strictly Mikami Counter for 10 minutes and then whinge that the fight is taking forever, start making mistakes and die, you need to be constantly getting in hits so when he's at half hour, you can take full advantage of the Mikami Counters. When you do early counters, get in a hit and jump back while parrying in case he does his own jump back and swing (happens a lot). He does another lunge attack which you can block and get in a hit etc, all in all you should have him to half health in a minute or two and from there the counters will build up his posture bar very quickly. I'm no pro against the boss and I haven't watched any streams so I'm sure I'm much slower but I was able to first try him in NG+ 2 and 3 with this strategy while my first try certainly took me a while.

Also, Sword Saint isn't the hardest boss in the game. Father Owl is much harder, there's far less room for error and it is a much longer fight, or at least it was for me.

RapineDel

Augur

Just run by them, this game isn't designed for you to fight multiple enemies at once so unless you want to take it slow just make a run for the next Idol and work your way up. Some new loot spawns but there's nothing worth grabbing so just ignore the new enemies.

Cromwell

Arcane
Just run by them, this game isn't designed for you to fight multiple enemies at once so unless you want to take it slow just make a run for the next Idol and work your way up. Some new loot spawns but there's nothing worth grabbing so just ignore the new enemies.

yeah I tried but old me forgot the way back to the antechamber and then I landed on the roof were owl is first which I think isnt the intended way. So I will do that shit after I am not tired anymore. compared to the purple ninjas the red samurai are rather easy (if you dont get swarmed).

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Also, Sword Saint isn't the hardest boss in the game. Father Owl is much harder, there's far less room for error and it is a much longer fight, or at least it was for me.

Father owl is a lot easier to get a hang on in a blind run imho, because everything he does sticks to the rules you're used to with similar enemies. First of all, he doesn't mix it up with faster poise-y attacks like phase 2/3 of Isshin, so you can spam r1 and only stop r1 when you notice the flash of deflection from him, at which point you're ready to press parry and easily deflect his next coming stuff, then spam r1 again, a well oiled rhythm to build up. Isshin phase 2 doesn't really play balls with what you're used to with human enemies : if you r1 more than once he will often hit you while poising through your attack rather than just parry you (and this is one of the major differences between Isshin phase 1 and phase 2. Phase 1, he will not do fast, poise-through counter hits. The only time he will attack when you're raining r1 is when he charges up something). Owl will NOT hit you back until he actually DEFLECTS (major light flash) your r1 with a parry of his own so you can really let it rain on him, with the exception of when he stops to charge a Ichimonji attack (which can turn into wide sweep or jumping attack if you move -before- he's done doing it). During his charge up, you can get some r1 in, then sidestep right when he's about to hit you, and spam r1 again for one more hit on his hp and more posture build up next.
Another example of how Isshin and Owl differ is in their sweep move. Whenever Owl's sweep is about to come he flashes with the red symbol of unblockable and you can react to it by jumping as soon as you see it, and get a TON of free hits on him by spamming r1 while in the air and descending and keep at it like I said earlier till next deflect or when he moves away from you. While Isshin's major unblockable sweep that does a huge AoE across the arena and that can only be safely avoided in melee range by jumping on his head 1/ isn't even noted by a red kanji despite being able to damage through block 2/ requires getting the muscle memory to react to a specific visual tell that is unique to this particular attack from Isshin. Once again, Isshin throws away what you're used to. I loved when he did this attack later on though because it's one of the best opportunities to damage spear mode isshin by far, before you reach phase 3 lightning.

And whenever Owl takes some distance away from you and you let him do that he will use easily mikiri countered thrust moves far more often than Isshin. Jumping away while keeping moving backwards once you land from his firecrackers tends to bait his AI into doing a thrust next too. Phase 2 Owl goes even more balls deep with thrusting you because of his new fire attack where he sends some shit you need to jump over and then immediately rushes you with a thrust.

It is, however, a long hp/posture bloated fight.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah the translation in this game seems to be borked, in the grorious Souls tradition. "Apparition" is something ghostly, non-corporeal no?

yes, which is why I thought there would be ghosts you cant hurt without confetti because you simply cant hit them. Thats what I thought the headless were when I was warned ingame before I actually saw one.

Isn't that exactly what Confetti is for? I used Confetti on the land Headless every time, I swear I tried without Confetti buff once and did zero damage. It probably boosts damage in a few other fights, but I always held it for those fights because I knew (thought?) I needed it. Although, I'm mostly skipping headless in replays, they don't give you anything worth having really.

but who wanted this? If the final boss didn't kick my arse a few times I'd have been furious.
Previous souls games must have made you really furious then. Isshin is tuned more like a DLC or optional hard boss than a typical main story souls boss. Which leaves one to wonder what Sekiro's DLC is going to be like considering that From always felt the need to up the ante there compared to the main game. If Isshin is like that, what will this game ultimate DLC boss look like?

Only played 1 and 2 with the dlc's so maybe they're getting credit for those without me knowing the difference, definitely enjoyed both a lot overall. 1's last boss felt it would have been tough if I wasn't overlevelled from doing the DLC, though. 2 I don't really remember. 3's I think works both before and after DLC, it's certainly easier than Friede and Gael, but a chunky HP bar and varied, scary damage moveset keeps it interesting, definitely took a few runs at it to kill it first and second time IIRC.

Wunderbar

Arcane
best fight in the game, and much better than assrape that is Isshin sword saint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom