Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Simple Simon

Scholar
id liek to get a roudn to play varnhold soon, was druid companion news a joke or did they really add one?
how does kinetic knight's weapon work? do you leave main hand empty?

Druid companion was a joke from a codexer. Yes, you do not equip a separate weapon when you are using a kinetic blade. You can equip a shield if you like.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Whew, finally finished the game.

Indeed, the House was pretty tedious. Tons of enemies, but perhaps more importantly the maze-like nature of this place. I initially missed one room in one of the reality versions and ended up wasting hours to find the witch.
The two 4-way fog rooms were perhaps a nice idea theoretically, but if you're not save scumming to find the right way and are not lucky, all the ruining around and returning to the area after being teleported away would be a gigantic waste of time.

Wild Hunt mobs were easy, but the hordes of dispelling and stat draining ghosts highly annoying.

Final Act was mostly okay, final boss fight quite satisfying and varied.
Although I think the encounter density during the capitol assault could be a little lower.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The fighting at the end should be a big huge free for all between the wild hunt and all your various allies but sadly it really isn't. Your party is still bearing the brunt of the attacks at all times.

e: I don't quite understand Bowling Infusion? Does it make every attack with a kinetic blast attempt a trip or does it improve the trip maneuver with the con bonus?

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
This game is long. I've done so much and yet only just finished the Bloom chapter. Since I hate reading walkthroughs unless I'm absolutely cock-blocked, it's all so fresh to me. Still having trouble with progressing in Kingdom Management because of the stingy BP mechanic but I read a few things that imply that the Economy stat is what you should really be pumping up which leads to other things opening up. I just barely managed to survive with literally only 1 or 2 days left with my kingdom in the dire "Crumbling" state while in the Other World. This is how RPGs should be played. Succeed with some actual thought put into it, or DIE. People are still rioting but I suspect it will stabilize even further once I figure out how to properly expand.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
One more comment for the day: I stumbled onto some HUGE tomb with some missing textures in some of the pillars in 1.3. Destroyed all the monsters including the golems but was stopped dead by the locked door with the river puzzle. This is probably a good thing since I'm probably not meant to be there until later and it will hopefully allow the developers to patch the missing textures when I go back later. It's a really stunning game visually so seeing things like missing textures can be jarring.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
This game is long. I've done so much and yet only just finished the Bloom chapter. Since I hate reading walkthroughs unless I'm absolutely cock-blocked, it's all so fresh to me. Still having trouble with progressing in Kingdom Management because of the stingy BP mechanic but I read a few things that imply that the Economy stat is what you should really be pumping up which leads to other things opening up. I just barely managed to survive with literally only 1 or 2 days left with my kingdom in the dire "Crumbling" state while in the Other World. This is how RPGs should be played. Succeed with some actual thought put into it, or DIE. People are still rioting but I suspect it will stabilize even further once I figure out how to properly expand.

It's not good that you've reached Crumbling state. I guess it may be possible to fix with a "Feast of the Afflicted" project, but it won't come cheap. Kingdom stability status improvements are few and far between, damages to the status are not easy to fix.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It's not good that you've reached Crumbling state. I guess it may be possible to fix with a "Feast of the Afflicted" project, but it won't come cheap. Kingdom stability status improvements are few and far between, damages to the status are not easy to fix.

Well, I saw it as a hopeful development that I'm no longer in the "Crumbling" state but in "Rioting" instead. One of my advisors is currently working on a Riot control problem right now. Don't know if he'll succeed or not. In my playthrough the crumbling thing always seems to happen when there's a monster invasion particularly from that Cursed hill and I take a tad too long to respond. When I send my party out to take care of things it seem to eventually drop back to Troubled, which I can live with until I can figure out how to make my Barony more stable. I'm not goofing off as nearly as much as I was originally. The Bloom chapter was a wake up call. Thanks for the tip. I do have to always consider the possibility that the game can abruptly end at any time.

purpleblob

Savant
You can turn on the "invincible kingdom" mode if you are really struggling - that way, I think you only get a game over if you don't deal with the story mission.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
I do have a lot of sympathy for the Kingdom people because the UI does a poor job of teaching you stuff like how to pick a city spot for expansion, what teleportation is to save a *lot* of time, and other things that are real issues.

The learning curve is very gamefaqs tastic. There are probably a lot of people here who got extremely deep in the game without even learning how to teleport

i did the survey and my top #1 wishlist really is just the ability to know enemies active buffs or debuffs without scrolling trough combat logs that moves like a god damn speedforce in big combat.

say what you want about deadfire, the UI in that game is still the most intuitive, polished and comfortable infinity engine like game.

Deadfire has this exact problem lul, you cannot read what an enemy's buff actually does in Deadfire. Biggest issue in that game as well

Yosharian

Arcane
From my experience, what fucks your Kingdom is failing to deal with story problems. It can be a little confusing, because all of a sudden you're getting bombarded with stupidly-high DC events that are stemming from the story problem that you aren't dealing with, and the game doesn't tell you 'HEY BTW THIS IS HAPPENING BECAUSE OF THIS STORY THING YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING'. So you set an advisor to deal with it, thinking holy shit that DC is high, and then a couple of days later you get another, identical, event pop up, and then another, and then another, and then your kingdom is fucking done, and you better hope you have a savegame so you can go back a few weeks and go and deal with that story thing that you had no idea you were supposed to be doing

This happened to me with Vordakai's cyclops attacks, I realised I hadn't explored the eastern area properly and I was actually supposed to be off destroying his dumb one-eyed ass, instead of what I was actually doing which was fucking about with Kingdom stuff thinking 'gee, I wonder when the next story event is going to arrive'

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, the Kingdom Management thing can be hard to figure out because it's not overly clear or well-documented, either in the interface or with the in-game tutorials. I'm playing this almost blind, trying to avoid outside tips/advice/spoilers, relying on basically the in-game tutorials to get around. I want to experience the game as freshly and as spoiler-free as possible. But... there can be a tragic cost to all this because P:KM can be so hardcore and merciless (but fun as fuck and surprisingly frustration-free given its enormous complexity).

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another late to the party post. I eventually got around to trying this game, and I'm not impressed.

Pros - The game has been clearly crafted with love, I really like every technical and stylistic aspect of the game. It looks good, it sounds good, it reads good. The characters have kinda decent backgrounds and personal stories.

Cons - The game is basically an excuse to throw one encounter after another at you, and to me the combat isn't that great (the major flaw being, it's RTwP). The plot is too barebone to draw me into the game (I'm a storyfag, remember), exploration value is minimal.

All in all, feels like a huge, painful, wast of potential. A pity, because at the beginning, it really got my hopes flying high.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
my kingdom went to worried to serene between pitax and last act.
The plot is too barebone to draw me into the game
the plot gets better. it began interesting for me around vordakai chapter, but season of bloom is also a fun chapter. it reveal itself slowly, but feel really good and there are foreshadowing everywhere about the main villain. it is no planescape torment, but i think the story is better than deadfire or baldur's gate 2.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
my kingdom went to worried to serene between pitax and last act.
The plot is too barebone to draw me into the game
the plot gets better. it began interesting for me around vordakai chapter, but season of bloom is also a fun chapter. it reveal itself slowly, but feel really good and there are foreshadowing everywhere about the main villain. it is no planescape torment, but i think the story is better than deadfire or baldur's gate 2.

I stopped playing after a few hours, the combat was too annoying. Maybe one day I'll give it another, more patient, try.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Cons - The game is basically an excuse to throw one encounter after another at you,

That's what I love about it, the way the game is proactive and always throwing things AT YOU. I recently tried to play Bard's Tale 3 Remastered and I hated that the only time something happened was when you made it happen. A very dull way to play an RPG, imo. Even classic cRPG game series like Ultima and Wizardry are passive games, just laying there like a bored rent boy waiting for you to do something and paying money for the privilege. P:KM to me was a very refreshing and newish way to experience RPGs in today's era of so much crap. There were a lot of NWN modules and persistent worlds that took this approach and I have to admit that I loved it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
the trash encounters are easily the worst part of the game. group of samey enemies every 5 minutes, hundreds of them every dungeon. bosses encounters are cool, but regular mooks are trash

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Another late to the party post. I eventually got around to trying this game, and I'm not impressed.

Pros - The game has been clearly crafted with love, I really like every technical and stylistic aspect of the game. It looks good, it sounds good, it reads good. The characters have kinda decent backgrounds and personal stories.

Cons - The game is basically an excuse to throw one encounter after another at you, and to me the combat isn't that great (the major flaw being, it's RTwP). The plot is too barebone to draw me into the game (I'm a storyfag, remember), exploration value is minimal.

All in all, feels like a huge, painful, wast of potential. A pity, because at the beginning, it really got my hopes flying high.

If you don't like RTwP (and you list that as the major flaw) then yeah... it's a combat heavy game already, so it's almost a given you wouldn't like it.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

If you don't like RTwP (and you list that as the major flaw) then yeah... it's a combat heavy game already, so it's almost a given you wouldn't like it.

Well yeah. But I didn't know how combat-heavy it would turn out to be. I was expecting something a la Numanuma, or something middle-ground like PoE. My mistake was not even reading up about it, before trying. I just wish they had invested that kind of craft and effort into a different game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
the trash encounters are easily the worst part of the game. group of samey enemies every 5 minutes, hundreds of them every dungeon. bosses encounters are cool, but regular mooks are trash

There is not a single cRPG where this is any different.
age of decadence has good encoutner.

underrail (outside of the final dungeon)

icewind dale

hell deadfire have good to great encounters and pillars 1's expansion

Sykar

Arcane

There is not a single cRPG where this is any different.
age of decadence has good encoutner.

underrail (outside of the final dungeon)

icewind dale

hell deadfire have good to great encounters and pillars 1's expansion

Never played AoD and never will
Underrail is full to the brim with trash mobs which you can only avoid if you have high stealth, otherwise you have to kill everything
Icewind Dale is full of trash encounters

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
You should NEVER get any negative effects from the Hilltop invasions. Just prepare that TWO WEEKS prior to the quest log deadline you visit the Hilltop and clear it. There will be a message along the lines "rush to the Hilltop". You should then go there immediately. Plan not to be bound with stuff at the other end of the map. Each day you delay, will cost you dearly. The Hilltop times is actually a doomsday counter, you should solve the Ancient Curse quests always 2 weeks prior to that day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom