Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Is Kinkmaker gud?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Is Pathfinger: Kinkmaker a gud game that is worth buying/playing?

• Yes, it is good

• No, it's shit

• I am ambivalent

• Haven't played it

• Kingmaker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Incendax

Augur
I got the bird puzzle without a walkthrough.
Got completely stumped by the third key in HATEOT, though.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I have to say however that early companions are rubbish in every sense.

Firstly, their personality archetypes are quite unoriginal. Cocky barbarian girl, misanthropic religious dwarf (discount version of Durance), Brienne of Tarth copy-paste, annoying pushy Deekin wannabe, etc. After 30 years of RPGs this was the best they could came up with.

Secondly, their stats and builds are rubbish too.

So you find yourself in a funny situation. Game is relatively hard, yet story companions are weak and custom companions are ridiculously expensive (devs' way of forcing you to use underpowered and uninteresting story companions).

Big fail by the devs on this part.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Waves of Exhaustion guy, where are you when we need you
Better don't call the wolf out of the woods.

Yeah, I liked some of his builds, for example for Kalikke, but his stance on casters and CC is pretty hilarious.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have to say however that early companions are rubish in every sense.

Firstly, their personality archetypes are quite unoriginal. Cocky barbarian girl, misanthropic religious dwarf (discount version of Durance), Brienne of Tarth copy-paste, annoying pushy Deekin wannabe, etc. After 30 years of RPGs this was the best they could came up with.

Secondly, their stats and builds are rubish too.

So you find yourself in a funny situation. Game is relatively hard, yet stock companions are weak and custom companions are ridiculously expensive (devs' way of forcing you to use underpowered and uninteresting story companions).

Big fail by the devs on this part.

Valerie is hardly Brienne... At least Charisma-wise.
And the builds, while expectedly not a power gamers' wet dream, are more then workable with and easily competent enough to conquer at least hard difficulty.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Incendax

Augur
I think Harrim is original. He does resemble Durance at first glance, but you quickly realize he’s just starved for acceptance and embracing a role that gets him negative attention.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think Harrim is original. He does resemble Durance at first glance, but you quickly realize he’s just starved for acceptance and embracing a role that gets him negative attention.
He is a whiny bitch dwarf with daddy issues. Certainly original for dwarves in fantasy games.

I'll find this Brienne comparison for Valerie endlessly hilarious. Speaking purely from an objective context, Valerie hides her beauty and is not mechanically known for brutish strength. Brienne is, at best, described as unfortunate looking and towers over and can physically overwhelm many men. The comparison from a "statistics" POV ends at blonde warrior.

Oh, and Kingmaker is ok. High highs and very disappointing lows with a shit "strategy" layer but fantastic build variety due to its quite good, though certainly not perfect adherence to the source.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I know I hijacked this thread but I felt compelled to post some thoughts after finishing Act 1

- Huge lore dumps during the otherwise enjoyable interlude
- Kingdom management is a giant miss. It's not done well at all (I've seen better sims on Facebook), not to mention it hugely detracts from the RPG experience
- The lore bit about the "Vanishing" is shamefully unoriginal
- Still not using cooking. Another pointless minigame.

Overall, Act 1 was an okay ride. I'm playing with two (custom) companions on a custom difficulty of my own creation. I have dismissed or killed most of the story companions as they are annoying and inferior in every sense.

Think it only gets better from here but we'll see. Anyway I really appreciate the challenge. I like that I'm forced to expend all the consumables I find instead of hoarding or selling them.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game is mechanically fun to play with except kingdom management part that is its makes nothing better CK2 or such games do and its really distracting from the adventuring part. If only you had an option of accepting title and let your barony be run by steward while you adventure on court and do errant for your liege, from time to time traveling to your hold to drink your wine and fuck your wenches I mean solving some quests there BG2 and NWN2 stronghold style it would be fun. None did RPG when you role play a feudal lord and/or courtier well so far.

hell bovine

Arcane
I'll find this Brienne comparison for Valerie endlessly hilarious. Speaking purely from an objective context, Valerie hides her beauty and is not mechanically known for brutish strength. Brienne is, at best, described as unfortunate looking and towers over and can physically overwhelm many men. The comparison from a "statistics" POV ends at blonde warrior.
Yeah, that's one comparison that's... Brienne looks the opposite of a lady and can actually fight. Valerie has the looks, but wants to be a fighter instead. It's just that with her low intelligence she makes the absolutely worst archetype profession choice for that.

purpleblob

Savant
I know I hijacked this thread but I felt compelled to post some thoughts after finishing Act 1

- Huge lore dumps during the otherwise enjoyable interlude
- Kingdom management is a giant miss. It's not done well at all (I've seen better sims on Facebook), not to mention it hugely detracts from the RPG experience
- The lore bit about the "Vanishing" is shamefully unoriginal
- Still not using cooking. Another pointless minigame.

Overall, Act 1 was an okay ride. I'm playing with two (custom) companions on a custom difficulty of my own creation. I have dismissed or killed most of the story companions as they are annoying and inferior in every sense.

Think it only gets better from here but we'll see. Anyway I really appreciate the challenge. I like that I'm forced to expend all the consumables I find instead of hoarding or selling them.

? Act 1 doesn't have any kingdom management. It starts from Act 2.

I really liked cooking, it adds immersion for me, and I found cheese crostata extremely useful when I need to reduce the travel time etc.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Chocolate ice-cream for +3 all skills is best food in the world)

I have dismissed or killed most of the story companions as they are annoying and inferior in every sense.

If this is true your future kingdom somewhere between doomed and turning your life into living hell.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I view slow walking speed as motivator to get extended Haste asap.
But i miss permanent spell from NWN 2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I honestly have no idea what they were thinking,not having a different speed setting. The only good thing in deadfire was the speed setting,tho it was still slowish.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, I don't like using those speed cheat mods unless the slow trekking is unbearable, in which case I'll just use Cheat Engine's speedhack. I like the sound of your characters on the OLM just grinding along at a leisurely pace. As for exploring regular maps, I like to polymorph my druid into an air elemental with speedboots then madly zoom around the map until I find something interesting or deadly, then I just zoom back to my team and wait for those poor baddies to hobble along to my party, unto a quick death.

Funposter

Arcane
Secondly, their stats and builds are rubbish too.

50/50 on this. Some like Amiri, Jubilost, Octavia etc. work well even if they aren't perfectly optimized. Jaethal is unoptimized but has the added benefit of being Undead, meaning that an optimized build would just be bonkers on her. Then you have characters like Valerie and Harrim, that have basically been given shitty builds on purpose and the dev's response when you bring it up is "Fuck you". Harrim is the one that hurts the most. He's a Cleric, and one of his main character traits is being an obsessive, nasty, bore. So his dump stat would be CHA, right? Haha, fuck you it's DEX, have fun never hitting anything asshole.

GreyViper

Prophet
Its a game I had fun, but I'm still waiting for a polished version to be released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom