Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I can only speak based on older meta, but from what I recall you basically should ignore everything between Corvettes and Battleships, and only build one type of ship weight class.

I believe higher class ships and larger weapons consistently destroy lower class ones across the spectrum now, so long as you don't upgrade past medium weapons while the enemy is using all corvettes (which should be fairly rare if you are using any kind of AI bonuses or AI improvement mod, AI techs up quickly early game). Medium-weapon destroyers annihilate corvettes and large-weapon cruisers annihilate destroyers (and so on). Yes, try to build only one ship class, otherwise it leads to the enemy being able to better focus fire.

i miss the moo3 fleet system which forced to use different designs and different sizes if you wanted to field a decent army in a decent amount of time.

moo3 was just too advanced for its time. it still is. it had fleet which made sense, system defenses which made sense, planetary development which made sense, terraforming which made sense, automatic migrations which made sense... alright, it was bugged and espionage sucked rock-hard, but nowadays what game doesn't?

Vaarna_Aarne

I wouldn't say that it was too advanced, that was never the problem since a lot of its more complex economy and military stuff like terraforming was/could be automated or relatively intuitive. The problem it had was that in many respects it was an EXTREMELY obtuse and vague game, good example being the diplomatic complaint (diplomacy in general was the most obscurantist part of the game, whether in Senate or bilateral) cheekily summed up by leading Finnish gaming magazine at the time as "stop doing those things that you do." Other smaller things too like secret modifiers or qualities, and it also did a poor job of summarizing with its instructions (since it came with a big ol' manual). And of course, there were the bugs, and the clunky and wonky espionage.

Personally I still think of MoO3 the most fondly out of that series (since I'm a weirdo), but that's because I admire its flawed ambition.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
While i can't speak for what the true min/max meta at the moment is. The true and classic all corvette and then switch over to battleships (with lightning tech). Best case scenario overall is two fleets where you send in the corvettes first, due to how targeting works the enemy will waste attacks trying to hit the high evasion targets allowing the battleships to destroy everything.

Ofc it depends on what the computer decide to do... They some times build some... interesting ship combinations (all fighter/bomber fleets) at that point you might want to build a handful of destroyer/cruisers with flak to stay close to your battleships.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

I tend to have at least some carriers among my Battleships, and in my experience (well, some time ago, since I'm still waiting to hear that a patch improves AI handling of the new economy) the fighters do a pretty good job of covering your point defense needs.

all these troubles are a non issue to a larper B) screw efficiency, go for what makes you happier. in mid-late i usually go for battleships+carriers or/equipped with whatever fits more the lore of the race i'm using. an ocean of corvettes might steamroll whatever you want, but i just can't be arsed to replace all the losses after every fight, now more than ever since movement has been so severely crippled.

plentiful traditions. that's what i use to give me more and more options, but it's not enough, more often than i can't find something which would fit the kind of empire i'm building. do you know/use any other traditions mod? i need moar! MOAR! i might be satisfied with at least 30, more like 50.

Olinser

Savant
A new 'patch' is out.

In which they fix glaringly obvious bugs that should never have been released.

Olinser

Savant
Ugh. Seriously screw this crap. I've been trying to trigger the Stay On Target achievement for 2 games now (it's one of only 2 left before I probably quit forever), and the AI is so broken that it REFUSES to use a colossus.

2 consecutive games now Awakened Fallen Empire that I totally leave alone builds a colossus. I declare war and let them pick off a system, and the colossus goes to orbit and just SITS THERE. Tried literally everything, declaring peace and re-declaring war later, letting them conquer more worlds, etc. It just sits there and never attempts to fire over 100 years.

Seriously screw Paradox and their trash AI programming.

Olinser

Savant
Yes. As I said. They build them just fine. They literally NEVER USE THEM. The achievement requires you to kill it while its in the process of firing on a planet.

Since they never seem to actually FIRE the damn things on any difficulty, they just go to planets and sit in orbit, the achievement seems to just be bugged.

Olinser

Savant
Glavius AI is making things better, there's no point playing without it

Yes, I agree. The problem is since I am specifically trying to get the achievement, mods invalidate them. So I'm stuck with how hideously bad the Paradox AI is. Hence my rage.

i actually can't keep up with ai anymore since i installed glavius :V it just violently outproduces me.

Remember: Real Men play on Grand Admiral.

If you want to make it harder, increase number of advanced starts.

I could barely keep up with the AI until recently too, but I've been upping my game. A nice helpful gringo friend taught me how to rush right propa, and now I can rush early... mostly.
I've got it covered with Barbaric Despoilers, but not Devouring Swarms yet.

i actually can't keep up with ai anymore since i installed glavius :V it just violently outproduces me.

I could barely keep up with the AI until recently too, but I've been upping my game. A nice helpful gringo friend taught me how to rush right propa, and now I can rush early... mostly.

with alphamod i played grand admiral and all advanced starts, now i play the second easiest level and get crushed during the first war.

with alphamod i played grand admiral and all advanced starts, now i play the second easiest level and get crushed during the first war.

Well, maybe we can help.

When are you doing the first war?
Are you attacking or defending?
Are you designing your own ships?
Which builds?

soon
defending
still haven't researched shit, mostly
doesn't matter, had rape

Try build several extra alloy factories on your capital asap.
Get governor with retired fleet officer trait for your shipyard (totally worth it even if you need spend tons of energy trying roll one). You can stock up other useful governors this way at the same time (like Architectural interest and Ironfist)
Get scientist with military trait and research Fleet command limit + Naval capacity asap at least once each.
Research basic combat roles, fusion reactor, gravitic sensor asap.
I usually design early corvettes this way: 2 x Laser + 1 x Flak point defense, 2 x Shield + 1 x Armor, Swarm.
Grab Supremacy tradition tree as your second one if you still have problems.

Delterius

Arcane
CLTWdic.jpg

in the darkness of the XXIInd century, there's only jesus

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom