Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who is the best RPG gamer?

Astral Rag

Arcane
One of the few Lilura posts where she doesn't mention her blog.

Martyr

Arcane
I don't know who this Lilura person is.

But I guarantee the only reason the codex cares about her is because she's a girl.

she was one of the people that make the Codex a recognizable place.

if you were to show 1000 random anonymous posts from all over the internet to someone who is familiar with Lilura, he would immediatly know which post is hers.

laclongquan

Arcane
Lilura's website is the bestest modded bg2 source. You know gamefags's stuffs? They are mostly vanilla, not modded like SCS. For a tactic player (instead of a storyfaggot), Lilura's is the place.

Also taking bet on when she's reappearing officially here again. (lurk doesnt count).

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Lilura's website is the bestest modded bg2 source. You know gamefags's stuffs? They are mostly vanilla, not modded like SCS. For a tactic player (instead of a storyfaggot), Lilura's is the place.
Well, Lilura has a lot of writing to her name, but she's not the absolute best optimizer (I disagree with her evaluation of Fighter/Mage types) and admits she isn't fond of difficulties above Core Rules, and there's a whole bunch of other stuff I'd probably not agree with.

I think the "best RPG gamers" in terms of the self-appointed challenge (because honestly that's a pretty loaded question, so I allow myself freedom of interpretation) that I've witnessed were in the no-reload community for BG. A few weeks ago one guy streamed a complete no-reload run of the entire Baldur's Gate trilogy on SCS/Insane through Twitch, and there have been plenty of entertaining, oddball things I read in old no-reload write-ups, most of which long gone. Fun thing about the no-reload community is that it doesn't necessarily attempt to grind out wins on powerhouse characters; I've learned a lot about utilizing niche characters (single-classed Thieves) through some of those writings.

But yeah, the notion of being competitive in cRPGs is sorta silly to me, and I'm the kinda person who likes cranking up the difficulty slider or adding appropriate mods, so I'd say the best RPG player would be someone inspiring or thought-provoking on some level. I like to watch someone do something I'm familiar with and be like "Damn, they can really pull it off". I liked Pope Amole's F2 Ironman playthrough and his presentation (since I'm not sure if it's his invention) of the Flare Thrower Crowd Control Bot for these reasons.

mondblut

Arcane
Whoever achieves the most efficient party build in a shortest period of time.

Killing the beast of 1000 eyes in a single round is a decent estimate.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
That is not the criticism you think it is. The term "minmax munchkin powergamer" come to my mind. I hate that kind of playing as it stiffle the mood and could potentially drive me away from a game. I dont feel like 100% optimization is a good way to play a game.
You exalt her ability and status as a "tactical" player when she wrote plenty of articles specifically about minmaxing, munchkinnery, and powergaming (and has, in fact, done things like call the author of SCS himself a Baldur's Gate noob) and all I had said was that some of those writings could be better, especially if you promote (as Lilura often, famously, had) your mastery of the system (which I still believe is considerable). I never claimed to play every game with the explicit purpose of breaking it and I don't believe it's necessarily the #1 sign of a great player.

Sykar

Arcane
Whoever maintains their virginity the longest wins

Only the oldest and most revered grey beards achieve this remarkable feat, as this graphic illustrates:

4a3.jpg

Swigen

Arbiter
I don’t know about the best but I think once y’all peruse the following accolades y’all’ll agree I’m definitely a contender for one of the best.

• Beat Final Fantasy 7 at level 66.
  • Beat Final Fantasy 8 final boss on my second try.
  • Beat Persona 4 Golden and got the good ending.
  • Beat Diablo 3 on Torment difficulty.
  • Beat the Witcher 3 and got the good ending ( I think ).
  • Beat Destiny 1 AND 2.
  • Beat The Division mostly solo.
And that’s just off the top of my head, I bet I could think of more accomplishments if I really tried.

Deleted Member 16721

I beat Final Fantasy at level 99 and had Aerith's ultimate limit break before she died. Diablo 3 on Torment was a cake walk. Also, I 100%'d Chrono Trigger and defeated Son of Sun, quite easily.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Killing the beast of 1000 eyes in a single round is a decent estimate.

You did that?

Nah, took 3 or 4.

Holy shit, that's still impressive

I can't remember how many rounds I used.

But I was very disappointed that the CRPG Addict skipped it.
It's one of those challenges that are very hard, but not unfairly so, so it is a pity to skip it. After all, it's one of the few memorable battles in a too long game with too high an encounter frequency.

Swigen

Arbiter
Just remembered more accomplishments...

• Beat Fallout 3 (good ending)
  • Beat Fallout 4 (good ending)
  • Far Cry 5 (good ending)
I almost didn’t post ‘em ‘cause I don’t want anyone to feel bad that they don’t have as many great rpg gaems under their belt as me but it’s really just ‘cause of my age and “can do” attitude that I’ve been able to accomplish these accomplishments. I hope rather than promoting feelings of inadequacy, reading through my accomplishments inspires y’all.

Leitz

Learned
CRPG Addict
I can't believe nobody named him in this thread. His serious accountant way of going through ALL of these games is just beyond compare. At least in the effort of documentation.

After all, it's one of the few memorable battles in a too long game with too high an encounter frequency.
Words of wisdom on Wiz7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom