Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Silva

Arcane
TheSentinel , the word you want is bold , which the game certainly is for going with an ultra-focused design. It's even elegant in a way (it reminds me of Into the Breach in this regard).

But ambitious it's not. It's scope is small like sullynathan 's dick.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
No, it's ambitious. You seem to equate ambition with scope or size, when the terms aren't even necessarily related. Not my fault.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Tempted to quit at Corrupted Monk. Not sure I have the patience for three health bars and that much HP. Never thought I'd quit a FromSoftware game. I think it's a shame that being known for their difficulty went to FromSoftware's heads. I don't feel like that was the aim for Demon's Souls.

RapineDel

Augur
Tempted to quit at Corrupted Monk. Not sure I have the patience for three health bars and that much HP. Never thought I'd quit a FromSoftware game. I think it's a shame that being known for their difficulty went to FromSoftware's heads. I don't feel like that was the aim for Demon's Souls.

Grapple to the middle tree trunk during the second phase and you can deathblow phase 2. That boss is not all that hard because phase 3 is really easy, he has a new move where he'll spit poison at you but its easily dodged and you can get hits in which making building his posture bar a lot easier.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Never mind. Used Gachiin's Sugar to drop on him in the first phase and then immediately dropped on him in the second phase. I don't know if I would have figured out that you can deathblow this boss from above myself, which makes the win feel cheated. But whatever.

Adon

Arcane
I actually thought the Corrupted Monk in Mibu Village was harder. Maybe it's because her posture recovers stupidly quickly so it feels like a longer fight in comparison. I don't think she's as aggressive in her True Corrupted Monk form either.

But oh boy, if you think that was bad, wait until Demon of Hatred.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I actually thought the Corrupted Monk in Mibu Village was harder. Maybe it's because her posture recovers stupidly quickly so it feels like a longer fight in comparison. I don't think she's as aggressive in her True Corrupted Monk form either.

Demon of Hatred is optional.

Adon

Arcane

True, but I don't see any real reason to not fight him. Also, he might want the memory of that fight to make Sekiro stronger for the final boss.

Ezekiel

Arcane

True, but I don't see any real reason to not fight him. Also, he might want the memory of that fight to make Sekiro stronger for the final boss.
Might just do this if he's too much.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Is learning hard? Do you need your hand held in life as well? Git gud dickhead!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm doing another run (*Pathway is such a shit game) and I have to admit that the combat system is excellent.

First time I've spent 2-3 hours on Lady Butterfly, second run I beat her in 2 tries and this run I've beaten her 1st try even when I went into battle completely unprepared. Look at my health.

F319DC82A70D273245D5D617763E1543344FE29A

First time it took me 3-4 hours to beat Genichiro, second run 2 tries and now I've beaten him first try ... again going unprepared into the fight.

ED863FF393DC2B7F4C8484C3A5B9DD665730B472

I cannot wait for Isshin to push my shit.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
So this made me laugh.

Sunken Valley.

Bridge + Snipers.

Equips umbrella shield.

Begins to waddle across bridge with bullets pinging off umbrella.

"HAHAHA You cant touch me now Motherfuuuuuuuuu!!?"

Falls through hole in bridge and dies...

I am thinking of skipping the Demon of Hatred and Seven Spears+ fights and just focusing on Isshin fight. The end is so close. I can get to second phase of Isshin only for now. I expect hours of joy ahead with this fucker. Holy shit what a long journey this game was for me..

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am thinking of skipping the Demon of Hatred and Seven Spears+ fights and just focusing on Isshin fight. The end is so close. I can get to second phase of Isshin only for now. I expect hours of joy ahead with this fucker. Holy shit what a long journey this game was for me..

If you beated Owl in Hirata State he is easier IMO. You are almost there!

Parabalus

Arcane
Which of ultimate skills are good? Thinking of taking the shinobi MA passive one since I'm fond of Ichimonji.

I was actually thinking more along of items and doing content "out of order" to get a power boost, e.g. in DS I ran around after the tutorial and looted some rad items, while in DS3 I killed Dancer 2nd and got access to high tier stuff earlier, which "broke" the game.

In Sekiro you can't do that because there is no game breaking gear to get. Nothing to do with world openness.

You are right, the world is pretty open.

I ran into a locked door in Sunken Valley (Gun Fort), but going through the Dungeon I got all the way to Mibu Village. Killed the Corrupted Monk as 3nd boss. I think that's as far as I can go without going forward in the Castle.

Got 8 Gourd seeds, 2 latent skills and a bunch of beads/upgrade materials for my trouble.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not very fan of any combat art, but Shadowrush is good. Can't be blocked, fast gap closer, 2 MP cost.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not very fan of any combat art, but Shadowrush is good. Can't be blocked, fast gap closer, 2 MP cost.

The problem with Shadowrush is the emblem cost. The problem with all of those offensive abilities, either prosthetics or combat arts, is they are WAY too weak for their emblem cost. You're almost always much better off to get in a slash or two with your good ol' katanu. All the prosthetic weapons are good only very situationally, like axe vs. shields, spear vs. Headless Ape, flamethrower against Ogre (only 3 in the game), axe vs. shield mobs (only a handful in the game).

Furthermore it's almost hilarious how utterly useless are some of the most expensive upgrades. Anyone ever tried the blue upgrade for the flamethrower or the axe? Lol. Looooool.

As for combat arts, some useful ones there. Ichimanji is ok although overrated, the monk punches can interrupt any attack and any hyper-poise (afaik) and High Monk is an excellent replacement for the anti-sweep head jump. As soon as you see someone doing an ublockable sweep, activate High Monk and you'll bonk them in the head with a perfect timing. The quick flurries are IMO completely useless, the jumping slashes...meh. It all felt to me more or less cosmetic, something you use when you're bored and wanna just fool around. Nothing really makes your progress through the game any smoother than simple parry/R1.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The problem with Shadowrush is the emblem cost. The problem with all of those offensive abilities, either prosthetics or combat arts, is they are WAY too weak for their emblem cost.

As for combat arts, some useful ones there. Ichimanji is ok although overrated, the monk punches can interrupt any attack and any hyper-poise (afaik) and High Monk is an excellent replacement for the anti-sweep head jump. As soon as you see someone doing an ublockable sweep, activate High Monk and you'll bonk them in the head with a perfect timing. The quick flurries are IMO completely useless, the jumping slashes...meh. It all felt to me more or less cosmetic, something you use when you're bored and wanna just fool around. Nothing really makes your progress through the game any smoother than simple parry/R1.

Agree with everything. High monk I used sometimes in my playthrough, decent antiair and antisweep. But in the end parrying, jumping and slash punish kept me more in rhythm with the battles.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't be the only one who kept the combat art slot empty because he always triggered it by mistake...

Cromwell

Arcane
I can't be the only one who kept the combat art slot empty because he always triggered it by mistake...

I did that for a few bossfights. Also agree with cvv if they made most prosthetics free of charge (or gave you a way to carry more emblems, +1 per x skillspoints is absolutely laughable) you could really try to find new ways of fighting bosses. As it is almost all skills that cost emblems are only used for some kind of cheese strategy.

For example the ape, you either block everything from him and find a way to block him from regenerating ostutre or (which is more effective for normal players) you just hit his neck with the sword after he falls because using the spear may do a lot of posture damage but if you cant guarantee you stay agressive but instead wait a bit for the next falldown he might have regenerated everything. So you slash his neck until you have done enough hp damage and than you coul duse the spear but by that time you dont need that much posture damage anymore and can kill him with the sword.

I used the Axe to kill the first shinobi hunter but if I were better at the game when I met him I just could have slashd him to death like every other miniboss later. The umbrella just makes parrying a bit easier only boss I used it was the aishina elite before genishiro, could have blocked him with the sword alone. The Gunfort Bridge seems another place where people use the umbrella, i just ran across it and was fine. Lady butterfly shouldnt be much harder without tools. Point is, I found no one instance were I could use my tools/special attacks to really take a different approach to the fight (outside of rare occasions) and wouldnt really have noticed it if they werent there. They could scrap it all (except the rope) including the exp and it would still be pretty much the same game, one could even call it extremly focused on its combat system then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom