Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Game publishers have been crying about used games and trading for decades. Do you really think Epic, a Games Store designed Publisher-first and Customers-never, is going to provide a good game trading solution?

Cromwell

Arcane
Game publishers have been crying about used games and trading for decades. Do you really think Epic, a Games Store designed Publisher-first and Customers-never, is going to provide a good game trading solution?

I know they wont do that that wasnt the point, I just wrote the first thing that they could do that would actually be cool, pro consumer, and steam isnt doing it (Multi-headed Cow thanks I knew that but going offline to allow him to play was new to me)

Black Angel

Arcane
Guys, did you know that VALVE IS KILLING GAMING WITH ITS 30% CUT?! EPIC IS HERE TO SAVE US!! Bow down, mere mortals, and accept your salvation.

STEAM TAKES THIRTY PERCEEEEEEEEEENT!!!!!

Do these fucking retards even remember the days when games were only sold in boxes, so you had to deduce the production costs for the box and CD, and the retail stores would also take a cut, along with the publisher?

But yeah, those poor poor indie developers who sell their game without a publisher directly on Steam, and have to pay a 30% cut. How tragic and unfair.

"the packaging is raising the prices! the box, the cd, the manual, the delivery... switch to not owning what you pay for and we'll drastically cut prices! i totally promise!"
yet games cost even more.
fuck off, piratebay is the only answer.
Not sure about other countries, but in USA(USD) games are a lot cheaper now than they used to be, especially adjusting for inflation. They're still a bit pricey on release but they drop in price fast.
I'm gonna bring up how Steam also have reasonably adjusted regional pricing, so the games are actually a lot cheaper in a third world country like mine. For example, games like Underrail are normally 15 USD in the US, but through regional pricing AND reasonably adjusted based on the region, in my country it's more like 10 USD or perhaps less after converted from regional currency.

I heard Epic's implementing regional pricing atm (but they're way too late with that since they're too busy sucking greedy publishers, arrogant mid-tier devs, and their own dick), but from what I've heard it isn't even reasonably adjusted like Steam does. If they did, I probably missed it.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
By the way, in case people think this isn't all old hat, here's the year 2000 calling:

215083307_gAxDr-2100x20000.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
so they could inflate their numbers. i've heard reports from everywhere of people finding their emails already in use.

I finally made an account for free The Witness and yes, my email was already used by someone in Hong Kong. Was pretty easy to take it over though, not that that makes it any less embarrassing for them.

check your email accounts. you probably have been already registered to the epic store with them.
not. kidding.

I registered an Epic account and got their launcher years ago for the new Unreal Tournament. I uninstalled it last year after they abandoned the game to focus on zoomer Fortnite. I'm for sure counted as a store user, though.

Solid Snail

Learned
Those days are too calm, I expect a fuckton of exclusive in the upcoming weeks all at once, so gamers will have a heart attack and just die so they can't argue anymore.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Those days are too calm, I expect a fuckton of exclusive in the upcoming weeks all at once, so gamers will have a heart attack and just die so they can't argue anymore.

Agreed. They probably have a list of previous console exclusives coming over like David Cage's trilogy of sadness, for example.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

E3 will be big for them I bet, with lots of exclusives announced for Fall 2019 and early 2020 games. They're not gonna change their tactic now, they've bought-in.

Solid Snail

Learned
I just hope my Shenmue 3 Kickstarter copy comes as a Steam key as I requested in the survey, there's a high chance Deep Silver will fuck this up considering they are the publishers and the game is UE4. If this is the case I just hope they ill give backers the Steam keys they promised.

Morkar Left

I just hope my Shenmue 3 Kickstarter copy comes as a Steam key as I requested in the survey, there's a high chance Deep Silver will fuck this up considering they are the publishers and the game is UE4. If this is the case I just hope they ill give backers the Steam keys they promised.

We heard your concerns. And now step back in line consumer!

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
so they could inflate their numbers. i've heard reports from everywhere of people finding their emails already in use.

Just tested this, and one of my mails is actually in use.... craycray

check your email accounts. you probably have been already registered to the epic store with them.
not. kidding.

How exactly would one go about knowing this without signing up to the Epic Store?

Just click on Forgot my password & enter your email, if its registered it will send you password changing link.
Cuz apparently on Epic you dont need to validate your emails.... atleast not to play fortnite.

------
Kinda hope someone was actually playing with "my" account cuz now its deleted.

Squid

Arbiter
Epic was creating accounts to inflate their numbers? Someone else said it was some lack of security again. Either way, fuck this store. I made an account on it and only logged on once last year or something and got an email a few months ago saying my account had been breached.

Great storefront. When's that cart coming to the store?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It would be hilariously pathetic if Epic made bunch of fake account and bought a copy of every game for each one.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
11221183070024DE26C1279924695FC73368C4F2

My e-mail was registered to this "guy". Some guy/group located in Thailand. No games owned it seems though.

Totally absurd. Nice trick by EPIC to get you to register against your will and prop up the numbers.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This was June 30th now it's TBC...

I think it's more about him being tired of keep changing dates after repeated delays.

https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com...pic/19865-no-to-epic-games-exclusivity-deals/

I don't think we'd be given the chance to have that kind of deal, even if we wanted it - we're not as sexy a game as Phoenix Point, who have already signed a lot of deals with various parties for a lot more money than we have. So I doubt there's any risk of us ever becoming an Epic exclusive!

By the end of this month everyone who backed the Xenonauts-2 Kickstarter will have their Steam / GOG keys and going exclusive with Epic wouldn't involve taking them away, so using that logic I'm assuming you wouldn't actually mind us signing an Epic exclusive deal? Everyone would have got what they paid for and no promises to backers would have been broken ... but in reality I think there'd still be a big backlash if we did so.

I personally find the whole Epic Store debate quite interesting. In principle I like the idea of Steam having more competition, because whilst overall they've been a huge boon to independent developers, they represent about 90% of our sales and yet our only contact with them is one guy who probably replies to our emails less than half the time. Having a competitor to keep them on their toes and make them more responsive to what users and devs want from them can only be a good thing - but then having games be exclusive to just one platform is kinda annoying as a consumer (although Battle.net / Origin / UPlay / whatever have been doing that for a long time so it's hardly a new phenomenon).

Anyway, I suspect Snapshot were offered more than enough money to make the backlash they are facing worthwhile. I think it's a very dangerous thing to break promises to your backers and I can certainly see why people are angry, but everyone has their price and if there was enough money on the table then I could also see how that would be tempting for the dev team.

Also from devlog posted today: https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com...enonauts-2-april-update-pre-orders-available/

First thing to say is that pre-orders are now available for anyone that missed the Kickstarter but wants to buy into our Closed Beta. These pre-orders are handled via Xsolla and will grant you a Steam / GOG key once Early Access happens a few months from now, but in the interim you'll be receiving builds via Xsolla. If that's something you're interested in, please check out this page:
As that page makes clear, you shouldn't buy into the Closed Beta expecting to find a playable game. The reason why we delayed the Early Access launch is because the game isn't yet properly playable, so if you're keen to have some strategic fun then you might want to wait until Early Access arrives.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
11221183070024DE26C1279924695FC73368C4F2

My e-mail was registered to this "guy". Some guy/group located in Thailand. No games owned it seems though.

Totally absurd. Nice trick by EPIC to get you to register against your will and prop up the numbers.

Ohhh no Epic mos. def. does not push its user numbers via creating accounts using online Spam Lists, no Sir!

Mine:
r6LkfIW.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom