Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

10 years on codex

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I just passed the 10 years threshold on the codex and I got shit :(

Some history:
- I had contact with C64 + Basic + games on tapes thanks to the mother of a friend which worked in the IT department for a company, needless to say we both were hooked on this new degeneracy,
- Felt in love with Dune 1&2, Prehistorik, Another World, Lemmings, Quake, Thief, Fallout, Gothic, Deus EX, SS2 and countless others, basically whatever got pirated and managed to reach the eastern european markets,
- Around 2003 I've started my internet voyage looking for non-retarded opinions cause everybody was raving about Diablo and BG which I never liked for some reason,
- Lurked on NMA (never made an account because they required a paid email account) then around 2005 I found out about the codex. Truth to be told I was young and still sane and codex was too rad for me, also I was afraid to get a new shithole from Roshambo ...
- Instead I've started shitposting on some forum called illuminati-something, it was mostly a private forum started by refuges from ionstorm forum which went offline after ionstorm bit the dust in 2005,
- Also that forum went offline after 1-2 years because hosting was still expensive in those times, at which point I've joined ttlg forum which surprisingly is still active (but I did not visit in years),
- ttlg forums were too emo for me (also moderated) and I started lurking on the codex everyday,
- And in 2009 I've finally decided to jump into he abyss and I'm still here today ... with no exceptional deeds linked to my name :) I did manage to make felipepe improve the voting method for the GOTY awards and I owned the 2x dumbfuck + weasel tags for a period. Good times.

The place was better when I've joined but then it went to shit probably because I've joined and there were no good RPGs released for almost a decade. Now it looks like the quality of discussion is back to an acceptable level (probably thanks to F:NV, Underrail and Kingmaker).

I'm not interested in making long lasting relationships on the codex (that's why I still avoid to post personal details) however I have to say kudos to the administration because it gets one thing right - lets the users speak freely as much as possible - and I also want to say thank you to the quality posters which are still visiting this place. Without these two ingredients I would have long bailed on this place.

Sometimes the codex is edgy and retarded but it never failed me: almost all the games praised by codex are great while all games praised by other mediums are shit. Thank God! I can come to this place and get an honest opinion on something. Most people don't even have this.

That's it.

Now feel free to mock me, pity me or be edgy. 10 years here. Damn, I'm old as fuck :|

Edit: It looks like the thread is now about Gothic vs Morrowind. My input on this crucial matter is:
It's ok if you like Morrowind and you never played Gothic. But if you played both and you still like Morrowind more then you are definitely retarded.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
A real toro account of your time.

It's not true that you get shit for being here 10 years, you can have this:
participationtrophy.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hmmm. Was this when all that shit from Bethesda came out? I remember it was at some point we got this influx of Bethesda type gamers who were looking for something more.

I think that was the case for me, yes. Not that I was ever a Bethestard myself (I've only ever owned and played one Bethesda game, and it's not even an Elder Scrolls title), I just saw the writing on the wall and how people seemed reluctant to point out the Emperor's lack of clothes.

IIRC I lurked here for a little while before signing up, to test the waters and see if people actually talked the talk and backed it up. Obviously I saw enough to think so and signed up.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Hmmm. Was this when all that shit from Bethesda came out? I remember it was at some point we got this influx of Bethesda type gamers who were looking for something more.

Edit: Goddamn I joined in 2002?
Oblivion's decline dragged all the "hardcore" Morrowind fanboys here. Little did they know we thought Morrowind was shit too. But now since that influx of people Morrowind is considered in an overall positive light around here. And I mean when compared to subsequent Bethesda games, Morrowind does scores some points.

It was also the time when Bethesda replaced "rpgcodex" with "iloveoblivion" on their forums. Trying to censor the Codex's review, criticisms, and highly critical news coverage (VD :salute:). That helped the exodus.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Oblivion's decline dragged all the "hardcore" Morrowind fanboys here. Little did they know we thought Morrowind was shit too. But now since that influx of people Morrowind is considered in an overall positive light around here.
Morrowind was the Codex's #2 rated CRPG of 2002, trailing only Geneforge. +M
Okay. Let's do this.+M

First, the Top Picks you posted are not the Kodex's Kurated Konsensus, but rather some of the staff members' Top Picks (those who could be arsed), per staff member. Among those who picked Morrowind, you've got Calis, whose opinion on RPGs is not one I'd follow despite his code contribution to the site, Rex Exitium the master flip-flopper who went on to shill for Hellgate: London, and Mistress who went on to found SJW precursor site Mistress' Lair where thought policing was plenty (RPG Watch was :obviously: in comparison). The only guy worth his salt on this list is Saint_Proverbius :salute:.

Second, look at the competition in the Top Picks: Geneforge, Prince of Qin, Divine Divinity, Prelude to Darkness. It was clearly a shit year. Competing against Diablo-likes and low-budget indies (who did deserve praise but still niche and flawed titles) says a lot.

Third, I refer you to the 2003 Year in review, where Morrowind is laughed at with contempt once people had time to play it. Also written by Spazmo, who reflected the KKKonsensus much more accurately, before the 2005 Bethestard invasion anyways. A precursor to VD's Oblivion review, and the origin of VD's classic signature: "Odds are, something you like very much sucks. Why? Because this is RPG Codex."

I quote for you the passage on Morrowind:
Another goddamn Morrowind expansion

During the summer of this year, the people at Bethesda Softworks saw fit to inflict upon us another expansion to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Bloodmoon has you investigating werewolves on the snowy island of--oh, who gives a shit? It's the same old hopelessly dull Morrowind gameplay. You run around fairly pretty countryside beating the tar out of hordes of stupid cliff racers doing completely pointless quests that involve murdering people for no real reason and occasionally 'talking' to the walking search engines the game calls NPCs. Morrowind is a terrible game and the expansions for it don't seem to fix any of that horror.
That's not very nice is it?

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Not a Bethesda fan here. I've played Morrowind for like 10 hours but then I gave up on level scaling and bullshit because Gothic was clearly superior to it.

I was quite rabid against Bethesda because everyone was raving about Morrowind and I was trying to explain to people that Gothic is better.

Then the next game from Bethesda Obsidian that I've played was F:NV.

And to my shame out of desperation I've finished Fallout 4. I guess I stopped carrying about Bethesda vs PB discussion.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Edit: Goddamn I joined in 2002?
Oblivion's decline dragged all the "hardcore" Morrowind fanboys here. Little did they know we thought Morrowind was shit too. But now since that influx of people Morrowind is considered in an overall positive light around here. And I mean when compared to subsequent Bethesda games, Morrowind does scores some points.

It was also the time when Bethesda replaced "rpgcodex" with "iloveoblivion" on their forums. Trying to censor the Codex's review, criticisms, and highly critical news coverage (VD :salute:). That helped the exodus.

So, in a couple of years we'll celebrate Oblivion as a masterpiece, and in 10 more year, it's gonna be Skyrim. And no, Fallout 4 will always only be celebrated as a steaming piece of shit, even in 192488 years.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oblivion times brought a lot of new people into the codex both because bethestards came over to either defend oblivion or to join the codex in criticizing it, AND because the codex's profile itself was raised because of its connection with oblivion, so more people found out about the site.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Okay. Let's do this.+M
That's not very nice is it?
After being voted the #2 RPG of 2002, Morrowind went on to appear in the Codex's Top 5 RPGs of the Decade in 2010, so whatever general hostility towards the game that you perceived was fleeting and exaggerated. +M
Did you even read the 2002 article you take your "facts" from? Morrowind was not voted #2 by anybody. It is the personal #2 pick by Calis, a guy that helped code the site. It does not in any way reflect what Codexers in general thought.

And then you refer to Codex's 2010 picks, but that's after the 2005 massive influx of Bethesda fans following the disaster Oblivion was. Hell, the Codex usage of "larping" as a derogative was in direct reference to Morrowind and what retarded shit people did in the game.

If you have no clue about the history of the Codex and its users, why the fuck are you defending a position about it?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
It's not obvious to go back in time on the Codex, but here's some proof:

In 2005, Bethestards were posting such insightful threads: Why does everyone hate Morrowind? and getting long answers about why Morrowind is shit.

Some one-liners from the thread for the lulz, not counting all the lenghty criticism:

Balor: You may like Morrowind, but you may not call yourself an RPG fan because of that.
Andyman Messiah: Morrowind is lifeless and boring. To me the biggest roleplaying element in the game is that you can play dress up.
DarkUnderlord: the type of game I fire up to play until 5 minutes later I'm wandering around going "So, what is there to do other than clear out Yet Another Dungeon?" before I got Esc > Quit > Yes.
Hamster: No dialogs + npc without any personality >>> game sucks, despite all advantages
vrok: I hate morrowind because it's the only game in the world that actually managed to suck more than Deus Ex: Invisible War.
OverrideB1: The quests are repetatively boring; the combat sucks; magic sucks BIG time; there are no consequences to any of your actions; yadda-yadda-yadda...
Chefe: Morrowind sucks balls and blows penis. End of discussion. The developers on that project should go crawl in a hole, eat shit, and die.
Crnobog: I love it when a random kiddie from the tes forums comes here, posts some topic about "omg why teh marrowand hatrid?!?!!!" never to return again, and yet next day the topic will span 5+ pages and still going :roll:
etc.

Also found this while searching:

Micmu: Morrowind was one big LARP simulator

And that's just one thread. Plus I'm far from being Roguey the master dirt digger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom