Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Gord

Arcane
So another Paradox Grand Strategy game that's broken, buggy and incomplete at release? Where's the news here?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
CK 2 with Paradox only knows how much expansions and good mods is worth playing now do you really expect this game to be playable and fun after it hit open beta gold stage Comrades? Wait a year for patching and first expansion to buy or even pirate this shit. Only game which was fun and worth playing from get go lately was DoS2 and Atom but those are hardly AAA products.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Mwu6gQc.jpg

The AI will blithely walk into stacks twice its size without concern. I didn't intercept these guys, they came to me.

Martyr

Arcane
so after the Codex came to the conclusion that we've had peak Vogel with Exile 1-3 and Nethergate, it's also time to admit that we've had peak Paradox long ago, with Hearts of Iron 2 and mayhap Crusader Kings.
Crusader Kings 2 would be good, but the ton of DLCs is just unbearable
I didn't even consider buying this shite for 1 second.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, they banned him and killed the fucking thread. What the fuck Paradox.

Edit:

Ah, I'm stupid, they didn't kill the thread, I clicked on "dev responses" :oops:

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
gonna start a gofund me to create a company to rival paradox in the map painting genre

i have no prior experience with game creation or anything

do you think this is a commercially successfully venue?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Is Gathering Storm a better purchase than this?

Civ6 is infinitely more complex than this garbage. I don't know what Paradox were thinking honestly. They wanted to broaden their market to a more general audience I guess? They just didn't realise that will just push to game into a no-man's-land in which it appeals to neither core audience to or actually truly casual audience who simply don't like to play map painting games.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Is Gathering Storm a better purchase than this?

Civ6 is infinitely more complex than this garbage. I don't know what Paradox were thinking honestly. They wanted to broaden their market to a more general audience I guess? They just didn't realise that will just push to game into a no-man's-land in which it appeals to neither core audience to or actually truly casual audience who simply don't like to play map painting games.

Both this and nu-Civ are strategic popamole mana shitfests.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
"no", the civ6 literally has most complex city and tile management in the entire franchise. It is mostly held back by garbage AI, which they set themselves up to also by making things like anticipation for district placement, positional synergy, whether to harvest or work a resource etc. so prominent in the game, something that AI can't handle at all.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Peak Players 24,261
Wow, that's the weakest start of all their franchizes, save for EUIV. But EUIV have 21k concurrent players for almost SIX YEARS, only growing, like other franchizes. Even CKII, being way too nice, fares a bit worse since 2012
Good. Makes them realize that people want Victoria III, not this garbage
Oh, and
ALL REVIEWS:Mixed (1,495)

I don't know what Paradox were thinking honestly. They wanted to broaden their market to a more general audience I guess? They just didn't realise that will just push to game into a no-man's-land in which it appeals to neither core audience to or actually truly casual audience who simply don't like to play map painting games.

No, they're just taking full advantage of the fact no one else is making these games. They release an empty husk and then they 'support the game'.

I'm still hoping Matrix/AGEod/Slitherine guys finally do something about it.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok, tried it I know exactly the feeling - Sengoku. A test "game" where Paradox try new engine and mechanics for their next real game. The game is completely unfun and shovelware.

Martyr

Arcane
Can I refund this shit on GOG?
gog has a crappy refund policy: you can refund if you've not downloaded and played a game without giving them a reason why you want your money back.
but after you've downloaded the game, it has to be unplayable due to technical issues in order to get your money back. and they will try to fix the technical issues first.
you could try getting a refund and it would be interesting to know if it has been granted. you could always say that it crashes directly after you launch it and after the gog staff has "fixed" your issue: surprise black screen in the main menu!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
so, is it shit?
It's empty. The gameplay is entirely reduced to painting the map with almost zero variation between nations.

e: Reorganizing armies with the loyalty mechanics is a nightmare. The clan retinues all drain YOUR manpower too, so if there's a few 100-man-strong remnant units around that are loyal to a guy YOU CAN'T DISBAND THEM.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
so, is it shit?
It's empty. The gameplay is entirely reduced to painting the map with almost zero variation between nations.

e: Reorganizing armies with the loyalty mechanics is a nightmare. The clan retinues all drain YOUR manpower too, so if there's a few 100-man-strong remnant units around that are loyal to a guy YOU CAN'T DISBAND THEM.

Just wait for some cosmetic DLCs, now 2 euros/ameribucks per unit per faction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom