Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale Construction Set

ctaylor

Novice
Going though my boxes and boxes of stuff, I have come across a new, still wrapped in the shrink new, copy of The Bard's Tale Construction Set from Interplay, (C) 1991. This happens to be the first real game I worked in some capacity at Interplay. It's also the game that Tim Cain did contract programming that got him hired there. Tom Decker produced it. It has a bunch of little happy memories in there.

Here's the box bullets:

Code:
* Full VGA Graphics
* Digitized sound effects
* Supports all major sound boards
* Easy to use, point-and-click interface
* Contains a mini-dungeon ready to play
* Contains actual dungeons from Bard's Tale I

Wow, an easy to use point-and-click interface. Sweet!

Here's the system requirements:

Code:
IBM/TANDY & 100% compatibles
5.25" HD & 3.5" disks enclosed
Most sound boards supported
DOS 2.1 & higher
Supports CGA, Tandy, EGA & 256 color MCGA/VGA
Supports Microsoft Mouse.
Blank disk or Hard disk required.
Color monitor required.
12 Mhz AT or faster with hard disk recommended.
NO DISK COPY PROTECTION

I have _no idea_ if it will even run on a modern day system. Frankly, I'm scared to open it up and try and install it. It could be completely borked. But, the alternative is a one way trip to the dipster dumpster. I'd rather give it away for free.

So, if someone out there would like it, post here and I'll contact you via PM to get your mailing address. First come, first serve, yadda-yadda.

pax,
-Chris "He said easy to use, point and click interface" Taylor

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I owned the BTCS, back in the day. The most frustrating thing about it was that it would only import graphics in one particular program's graphics format. I don't remember which program it was (and my lazy 5-minute web search was not illuminating), but I don't think the program exists anymore.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
DOS 2.1? Egads. Oldest DOS machine I've still got is a 486 running 6.2. I think even that might be a little fast for it. Heh.

Give it to the Codex for a competition or something? Make an article out of it? Dunno. If you post to Australia though and no-one else wants, I'll take it. My machine can probably run it and who knows, might be fun?

DamnElfGirl said:
I owned the BTCS, back in the day. The most frustrating thing about it was that it would only import graphics in one particular program's graphics format. I don't remember which program it was (and my lazy 5-minute web search was not illuminating), but I don't think the program exists anymore.
Deluxe Paint files?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'd say those floppies are probably toast by now, Chris. Still, I think you should hang on to it as a keepsake. It is one of the first games you worked on for Interplay, and it's unopenned. Frame it and put it on your desk.

ctaylor

Novice
I have my own copy, this is a spare that has been hiding in my closet for long enough. Right next to the copy of LOTR, Vol 1 on 5.25" floppies. They've been holding secret negotiations for some sort of coup, I believe.

Saint, would the 'codex be interested in a collection of games for some sort of giveaway? I'm trying to clean out my closets and would love for these things to go to someone who would appreciate them. Ebay would be an option, but I'd rather it go to someone in the community. Not sure how long it will take me to get through all of the boxes I have, or what will turn up.

pax,
-Chris

Quigs

Magister
I think thats a great idea. I'd love to get my hands on something like that, i played the old bard's tale on the interplay anniversarry cd thingy, when it was still new. an original construction set would be drool worthy pwnage fun time j00s happiness.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Many of you will probably already know this, but there is an updated version of SSI's Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures available called Dungeon Craft.

It is open source, runs on more modern machines and supports higher resolutions.

I know it's not quite the same as the Bard's Tale Construction Kit, but I thought some of you might be interested.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
We've actually posted a few news items on Dungeon Craft. It's nice to see someone is updating the older SSI games.

ctaylor said:
Saint, would the 'codex be interested in a collection of games for some sort of giveaway? I'm trying to clean out my closets and would love for these things to go to someone who would appreciate them. Ebay would be an option, but I'd rather it go to someone in the community. Not sure how long it will take me to get through all of the boxes I have, or what will turn up.

Turn up a legal document where you own the rights to Fallout, plz. :)

TFVanguard

Liturgist
Wysardry said:
Many of you will probably already know this, but there is an updated version of SSI's Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures available called Dungeon Craft.

Really liked that, and played with the code, but the project really seems to be dead anymore. In their shoes, I would probably ditch the Dungeons and Dragons specific material and open it up a bit... could be a very nice hobbiest RPG/module system.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There seem to be code updates every 3 months or so, with the most recent being on 30th May, which is probably above average for a SourceForge project. AFAIK, there is only one person working on the program itself, although there are several others who create new images for it.

Ironworks doesn't seem to update their Dungeon Craft content very often, however, and finished games do appear to be few and far between.

I found it to be a very capable and easy to use tool - despite the "unfinished" feel - and I'm surprised more people don't use it, even if it's merely to create prototype dungeons for use with other engines or PnP games.

The full source is available, so it would be possible to change the rules system if you wanted to move away from D&D (not that the combat and spell systems are complete yet anyway).

ecliptic

Liturgist
I loved that thing, except I was infuriated by the 20 line limit on the triggers. I wanted to make my own versions of the general store and what-not. Good fun anyways. Did it use SatanPaint, or was that Abuse?

Now-a-days Devil Whiskey actually comes with all of the functionality that BTCS had and much more, as you can write your own event scripts in Python.

Anonymous

DOSBox could probably get it to work and it'll probably work on my system..

if anyone hasnt claimed it, i'll take it and stuff. Collectors item, heh. It'll join my boxed copies of Secret of the Silver Blades, Might and Magic 3, and the original SimCity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom