Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, here are the Top 50 games, as voted by 361 codexers:

a5BkfjD.png

The full results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aJ9SdqrDHU13PfLD2mwCeFhw6RoX_iMa8ZshNdZxEz4/edit?usp=sharing

15 of the Top 50 games are new, and the "best" new game is Age of Decadence, followed by Pathfinder: Kingmaker and The Witcher 3!

Planescape and Fallout 1 remain as the absolute favorites, but the rest changed around a bit. Top 10 games are almost the same, Deus Ex took the spot from Wizardry 8. In fact, blobbers in general suffered a huge hit in the poll, most entries went down several positions from the previous one, as more RTwP and third-person Action-RPGs rise the ranks. On the other hand, Pool of Radiance went up 10 positions and Wizardry I went up 17!

Finally, why I'm doing a small post like this? So we can prepare the "full" version, with the reviews and screenshots before making the post on the front page. And so we can discuss how long the list should be. :cool:

Geckabor

Savant
Seeing some of the newer ones sit next to all-time great works of art does feel a bit awkward, but interesting list nonetheless.

Mark Richard

Arcane
felipepepe
I agree with Trashos, except I would prefer top 100 over top 80 because there will be some gems in the 81-100 spots and because it serves for a better clickbait and because people might accidentally stumble upon our list instead of IGN top 100 or Gamestop top 100 or Gry-online top 100 RPGs.
Surely a top 100 list wouldn't play well with the voting style? We've been forced to make hard choices and exclude games, which compliments a tighter list. If the list expands to a top 100, the back end might be full of titles only a couple of people have voted for.

V_K

Arcane
So, here are the Top 50 games, as voted by 361 codexers:

a5BkfjD.png

The full results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aJ9SdqrDHU13PfLD2mwCeFhw6RoX_iMa8ZshNdZxEz4/edit?usp=sharing

15 of the Top 50 games are new, and the "best" new game is Age of Decadence, followed by Pathfinder: Kingmaker and The Witcher 3!

Planescape and Fallout 1 remain as the absolute favorites, but the rest changed around a bit. Top 10 games are almost the same, Deus Ex took the spot from Wizardry 8. In fact, blobbers in general suffered a huge hit in the poll, most entries went down several positions from the previous one, as more RTwP and third-person Action-RPGs rise the ranks. On the other hand, Pool of Radiance went up 10 positions and Wizardry I went up 17!

Finally, why I'm doing a small post like this? So we can prepare the "full" version, with the reviews and screenshots before making the post on the front page. And so we can discuss how long the list should be. :cool:
Hoping that someone with some free time on their hands Monday morning will do a version of the list corrected for downvotes, but from cursory glance it seems the only significant change that'll do is drop TW3 from 15th position to around number 50. QED.

laclongquan

Arcane
Top 72 actually. So we can do a comparison with the old Top 70 the last time .

We can see the increase of how many votes and points per game in the same number of samples, and account for the increase in voters.

Like, the last time to get last 4 slot in top 50 they have 22 points and range from 8 to 10 votes.

This time we have 44-46 points and range from 16-22 votes

Total voters change from 234 to 361.

Which display something. I am not sure what, but it's certainly some things.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
We dont have special surprise like the last time because this time both PK and AoD has been released longer.

Grimoire is the surprise for me, though. I couldnt have imagined it got 22nd slot~ 30 votes for 86 points?

Note: 75th to 70th slot sharing same 22 point range, voters from 8-14

Diablo 2
Neverwinter Nights
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Sengoku Rance

It's somewhat similar to the last 46-50th slot of last time

Last edited:

Disciple

Savant
I think it would be cool to see both the coefficient (total score/# of votes) of the top entries as well as what percentage of the people who voted for a given game gave it the highest mark possible (5 points) so as to measure the appreciation games which are not massively popular get. Just a modest suggestion, I know it may be laborious and the latter may require a global recount of the votes, perhaps limit it to the top 50.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think the results are pretty good.

It shows some renovation in the fandom and in the game genre. The classics are still there and the new fan-favorites too. Some mistakes, sure, but the list is solid.

laclongquan

Arcane
Actually, look at the changes I dont know which conclusion to reach.

FNV and Bloodlines, and Dark Souls, rise can be attributed to the rising average in PC hardware that allow us to start enjoying higher level of texture (better tits! asses! faces!).

But using same reasonings wont explain Arcanum and Deus Ex. or the fall of Morrowind.

EverlastingLove

Learned
- How long the list should be? Between 70 at 100 there's a lot of ties, so there's no round number to pick. And if we go all the way to 100 we get some games that only 3 or 4 people voted for. Here's the votes & points:

It should be TOP 98 because Oblivion is 99th :D

Sorry Wizards & Warriors, Pools of Darkness

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Actually, look at the changes I dont know which conclusion to reach.

FNV and Bloodlines, and Dark Souls, rise can be attributed to the rising average in PC hardware that allow us to start enjoying higher level of texture (better tits! asses! faces!).

But using same reasonings wont explain Arcanum and Deus Ex. or the fall of Morrowind.
Games rising or falling by 1-3 spots doesn't really mean much. Wizardry 8, Gothic, Pool of Radiance, Mount & Blade, and Darklands are much bigger stories.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
List is okay. I wish there were more blobber in it, but it's still better than most RPG lists done by more 'famous' gaming sites

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom