Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Berwick Saga (PS2 Strategy-RPG from the director of Fire Emblem 1-5)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 14 - Chapter 2-2 - Combat Training

berch2_2part1fojhj.png

berch2_2part2g0jn2.png

Reese: We need to be stronger, Ward. It pains me to say it, but we're not even close to experienced enough.

Ward: In that case, do you want to hire more mercenaries to supplement our troops' abilities?

Reese: That won't fix the issue, though. We need them to get some quality, hands-on training against the Empire. I was thinking of organising a group of soldiers for a special mission.

berch2_2part30ij07.png

Reese: I just received intelligence from Duke Roswick that an Imperial supply camp was recently established north of here. It's only a half-day's ride away, and it is apparently poorly guarded at present. I personally asked the Duke to let our soldiers handle the mission of destroying this base.

Ward: Are you certain you want to entrust this vital mission to our inexperienced knights, milord?

Reese: The circumstances are not ideal, since His Majesty may also hand down additional orders to us at any time...and if that happens, we won't be able to fight at full strength for as long as our soldiers are away.

berch2_2part4jvkdg.png

Reese: Thank you. Besides, it'd be hard to back out of this after specifically asking for it...

berch2_2part5owj7i.png

The limit is 8 units for this mission:

berch2_2part6mzkjh.png

I buy a thin horse to give to Ruby, since I'm saving the good Sinon ones for chapter 3.

berch2_2part6_2e1krj.png

After some shuffling and inventory management, we're ready to depart:

berch2_2part70fj5t.png

berch2_2part8zhjcq.png

berch2_2part946jzt.png

berch2_2part10n9ju7.png

berch2_2part11dzkw1.png

berch2_2part12tgjse.png

berch2_2part133vjoz.png

berch2_2part14ixki9.png

Looking at the map, it's a good thing I brought Axel along:

berch2_2part15bcjwe.png

berch2_2part16dcj8q.png

berch2_2part177okbk.png

Rather than charge headlong into the Imperial troops and ballista guarding the road, I'll have Axel swim across the river to lower the bridge for everyone else to follow. Taking out the caravans swiftly would be a good idea, because one is carrying repairstone:

berch2_2part18rhj8w.png

The other is carrying bolts for the ballista, which currently doesn't have any ammunition:

berch2_2part19ceke4.png

berch2_2part20b3j1d.png

Hamilton, the enemy commander, is a bit tougher than the other troops here:

berch2_2part21dsj7m.png

Let's take a closer look at the heavily armoured guy:

berch2_2part22xaj7d.png

berch2_2part23r7kdi.png

I wonder why he has the Mercy skill...I'll keep an eye on his behaviour during the battle.

After some repositioning of units, it's time to begin the operation:

berch2_2deploy8pj86.png

We get to listen in on a conversation at the supply base:

berch2_2part244tj84.png

Clerk: That's right. I'll work on getting them loaded onto the wagon for you. It'll take me a little while, though.

(The player is told this will take 5 turns)

Imperial Porter: Guess I'll have to wait. I'll keep watch until you finish loading them.

Clerk: Oh, and take good care of this special stone!

Imperial Porter: This rock? What's so special about it?

Clerk: That's a Repairstone, a product of the alchemy they practice here in the Duchy of Narvia.

Imperial Porter: "Alchemy"? Interesting... what does this stone do?

Clerk: It's used to repair weapons and equipment. Seems to be some sort of magical technology they've invented here. Although who knows how well it actually works... I wanted to try it myself, but that was the only repairstone I could get my hands on. Hopefully this'll be able to help with the war effort.

Imperial Porter: Incredible... once we figure out how it works, it'll be an amazing leap forward! I'll make sure it gets to the homeland safely.

Clerk: Thanks. Oh, I should get back to it.

Imperial Porter: Right, right... sorry for distracting you.

Clerk: No worries. Now, let's get this stuff loaded...

Meanwhile, the troops guarding the road are also talking with each other:

berch2_2part25zck3j.png

berch2_2part26l3j3e.png

Hamilton: If things stopped being quiet, then we'd be in real trouble. Or do you mean to say that you would rather be fighting alongside your brothers at the front line? If you do desire, you may submit a transfer request to the front.

Imperial 16th spearman: N-no thank you, Captain...but regarding our stations, is it wise for us not to be near the bridge?

Hamilton: With the drawbridge raised as it is, this road is the only path to camp. There's no need to have anyone at the drawbridge station if the enemy won't be able to get that far. Anyone who wants to get across the river will have to get through us first.

Imperial 16th spearman: Oh, I see. Understood, Captain!

berch2_2part27x3kcr.png

Hamilton: You had to tempt fate, didn't you? Don't stand there like an idiot! Take up defensive positions!

berch2_2part28gokkq.png

Hamilton: You there, armoured boy! Derrick, wasn't it? Get your arse in gear! You may be slow, but you can at least throw yourself at the enemy to buy the others some time!

berch2_2part29tqkrw.png

berch2_2part30qujlz.png

Imperial 16th spearman: Those Berwick League bastards...why would they come here, of all places?!

The soldier next to him responds:

berch2_2part319pjhz.png

This does seem like a lot of "average Joe" dialogue at the start of a mission, but it does a good job of giving us some insight into the soldiers on the other side of the war.

berch2_2part32qmkkl.png

While the objective says we can just leave the map by the indicated exit point, I'm going to stick around to take out all of the Imperials. A quick note on drawbridges:

berch2_2part33j2kxs.png

I send Axel across the river, but he'll need a second turn to reach the bridge controls. The rest of my units stack up at the bridge.

berch2_2part34w8jcs.png

The Imperial troops have held their ground, except for Derrick:

berch2_2part355xjfj.png

To start off turn 2, Axel lowers the bridge.

berch2_2part36doje4.png

Faye moves across first, followed by Arthur, Elbert and Christine. Izerna goes up next, while Sylvis and Ruby form a rearguard.

At the beginning of turn 3, numerous Imperial reinforcements arrive from the west and south:

berch2_2part3741kj2.png

berch2_2part38p9j87.png

I send Elbert forward to attack the supply caravan:

berch2_2part39q6kzr.png

The caravan with the ballista bolts starts moving.

berch2_2part41rejk9.png

Imperial Porter: Guess I'd better get a move on. That old piece of junk's even more worthless without these bolts...

A nearby crossbowman goes after Elbert:

berch2_2part4275jt7.png

He fails to hit. However, the spearman does manage to inflict some damage:

berch2_2part43gsk4i.png

Christine is tasked to attack the caravan on the cliff with a longbow, but is unsuccessful.

berch2_2part445gkxl.png

An axeman in the south goes after Ruby, but misses, as does her counterattack. Sylvis takes aim at him:

berch2_2part45ogkyc.png

More of the Imperials move towards the southern end of the bridge. Arthur finishes off the axeman with the help of the desperation skill:

berch2_2part46nfkkd.png

I send Ruby to help deal with the caravan in the northeast. Axel joins in, but his axe does not connect with the enemy:

berch2_2part47kfj43.png

Situation at the beginning of turn 4:

berch2_2part4807kc0.png

Faye attacks first, landing hits on the crossbowman:

berch2_2part49vjk02.png

Most of the incoming Imperial soldiers miss their attacks, although a spearman does hit Ruby. Arthur dodges a spear and counterattacks:

berch2_2part50hijfk.png

He then blocks a crossbow shot with the help of his shield.

berch2_2part51wgk6a.png

Sylvis takes a chunk out of the crossbowman, falling just short of killing him. A spearman in the northwest charges at Christine and hits, so I'll have to deal with a third front now. I'll have to factor in the ballista as well, since the caravan with the bolts hasn't been hit once yet.

Elbert kills the porter and takes the repairstone:

berch2_2part52b1j8j.png

Arthur dismounts and eliminates another soldier via use of desperation, taking a hit in the process:

berch2_2part532bkxa.png

Ruby cuts down a crossbowman with her longsword.

berch2_2part5473k3e.png

The level-up doesn't give much:

berch2_2part553njts.png

On turn 5, Christine is ordered to fire at the ballista bolt transporter again, this time striking the target. I retreat her to the bridge since she's taken a few hits. The caravan is now out of reach, so I'll have to deal with the ballista next turn.

berch2_2part56c0jcj.png

Sylvis notches up another kill:

berch2_2part578bk3m.png

Arthur continues to hold the southern end of the bridge, although an axeman knocks away his shield. I have him use desperation to attack the crossbowman, but he misses the first strike and gets hit without blocking. The second finds its mark, but he's now critically low on health:

berch2_2part5836jrf.png

My units on the northern side of the bridge move in to form a protective line ahead of Izerna and Christine. Some blows are exchanged, but only Ruby takes some slight damage from a spearman, who is then felled by Elbert:

berch2_2part59bvkgv.png

On turn 6, Arthur goes up first to heal with a vulnerary:

berch2_2part60mokcy.png

The Imperial ballista is now ready to fire.

berch2_2part61j6km9.png

Sylvis takes aim at one of the axemen harassing Arthur, and hits. Which prompts him to move next, retreating to heal with a vulnerary. Christine makes a hit-and-run attack on the second axeman, doing nominal damage as he blocks with his shield.

berch2_2part62e3kxn.png

As it happens, he's carrying a crafting material. Faye kills the remaining spearman near the bridge controls.

berch2_2part632zkpa.png

To start turn 7, Arthur breaks an axeman's shield. As the first enemy to move, said axeman attacks Arthur but misses, allowing the counterattack that fells him.

berch2_2part65j0j9z.png

The axeman that healed last turn comes back to the bridge to take a swing at Arthur, breaking the latter's shield:

berch2_2part661xkk4.png

However, since Arthur fully blocked the attack, he can counter and gets a hit in. The forces guarding the curve in the road haven't moved from their positions, and the ballista fully covers the approach:

berch2_2part679ijdh.png

Derrick leaves the battlefield.

berch2_2part68dzku9.png

Since the caravan is moving back after delivering the ballista bolts, I have Sylvis fire at it:

berch2_2part696hklk.png

She gains a level:

berch2_2part70pwkm5.png

Arthur finishes off the last axeman at the bridge, also getting a level.

berch2_2part71fjj9f.png

berch2_2part72kskh9.png

Izerna joins the level-up brigade:

berch2_2part73ncj8f.png

If you recall from earlier updates, luck is not a hard stat, but a consumable resource spent to protect the unit from harm.

I decide to approach the ballista and defenders from the south, where there is more space. Elbert successfully lures in 3 Imperial soldiers, taking minimal damage:

berch2_2part74dikk6.png

Turn 10 now, and Christine puts down the enemy axeman:

berch2_2part75v1kc5.png

Faye kills a spearman on the second strike with her cutlass, yielding a level-up:

berch2_2part76mrjiy.png

berch2_2part7720j6f.png

Axel makes the third soldier history.

berch2_2part78jnjrc.png

I move up with everyone, but Faye is ambushed by a crossbowman hiding in the trees. She dodges, and thanks to her high AS, is able to counterattack:

berch2_2part803bkyj.png

Christine finishes off the enemy:

berch2_2part81a6k50.png

Elbert has a better chance of dodging bolts with arrowbane, so I move him into ballista range first. Hamilton leaves his position and attacks:

berch2_2part82q3j6i.png

berch2_2part83sak86.png

One of the spearmen also gets a hit in, which breaks Elbert's shield.

berch2_2part8416j9r.png

He does evade the archer courtesy of arrowbane. The ballista launches a bolt at Arthur:

berch2_2part85dpjdx.png

Fortunately, with only 33% hit chance, it sails over his head. Sylvis catches up and joins the fray, hitting Hamilton with a bronze arrow:

berch2_2part8666ji7.png

He then retreats to use a vulnerary. A failed attack by a spearman on Elbert gives him the opportunity to get another kill:

berch2_2part87zoj4w.png

Ruby's shield is broken by an arrow.

berch2_2part88ufkoo.png

Thanks to adept, Faye gets 3 consecutive hits, cutting down the bowman:

berch2_2part8906k6t.png

Unfortunately, a ballista bolt gets close enough to knock her down and injure her.

berch2_2part90soku7.png

Izerna moves in to patch her up, consuming a heal orb in the process. She's been busy on this mission, her light magic skill is already up to 17. I move Faye out of range on the next turn, since she's seen enough action for now.

As Hamilton and Elbert duel, Arthur notches up another kill:

berch2_2part917gjhc.png

The ballista lobs a bolt at Axel, but to no effect. Christine fumbles her longbow attack, the failure chance kicking in this time. Hamilton has some choice words for us as he takes an arrow to the chest from Sylvis:

berch2_2part922jkax.png

The ballista fires for what will be the final time, missing again. Arthur breaks his starting longsword attacking it, but hits from Christine and then Elbert take it out of action.

berch2_2part93zpjhr.png

Speaking of Elbert, he's already more than halfway to promotion after that kill:

berch2_2part9496jjz.png

However, there is still one last enemy in the area. A hidden crossbowman on overwatch successfully ambushes Axel:

berch2_2part95btjxu.png

Arthur and Christine gang up on him.

berch2_2part967fjs8.png

A decent level-up:

berch2_2part976mk58.png

You get the option to immediately end the map after the objective is complete, since this mission doesn't have a time limit:

berch2_2part9814kob.png

I decide to check out the armoury before leaving. As it turns out, the weapons are all sub-par.

berch2_2part99bkjzu.png

If you don't trade with the shopkeeper, you can still cancel the unit's move after they have checked a shop's inventory.

berch2_2part100djj9a.png

The Sinon Knights return to Navaron. Back at the office, Ward delivers the good news:

berch2_2part101h2jda.png

Ward: Quite well, it seems. Everyone came back in one piece.

Reese: Thank goodness...I was rather anxious about them. That'll be all for them today. Let them enjoy a well-deserved rest.

Ward: Very good, milord. I'll let them know.

Ward leaves to do so, and Reese steps over to the window, thinking aloud:

berch2_2part1020ukzr.png

Technically, there has been on-off conflict for a few centuries. If you recall from the intro, the Raze Empire made a major breakthrough roughly 18 months before the game begins.

Guess I may as well hire Kramer for the 0.5 happiness points before ending the chapter:

berch2_2part103kmjk3.png

I'll probably do that with Volo as well, since he's tied for the highest happiness points needed to recruit. The money looted from the dead Imperial soldiers more than covers it.

In update 15, I'll be doing some party management, discussing the new characters, and starting the chapter 3 main mission. See you there, and thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:

Nahel

Arcane
I wish that game was available on PC. It looks quite deep. Thanks for the lp.

Endemic

Arcane

You're welcome. The translation progress has been slow lately since Aethin is busy with his teaching job in Japan, but it will be finished eventually. He's also working on a patch to fix some typos in the Tear Ring Saga translation he did back in 2016.

As for similar games, Enterbrain also published the RPG and SRPG Maker software, the latter of which Shouzou Kaga used to make Vestaria Saga. If you don't mind referring to a menu guide and a spreadsheet (for items, events etc), you can play that on PC now.

Fred

Learned
Well, play it on PC :O

Thanks for the LP, I didn't know this game, the PS2 library never cease to amaze.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 15: Chapter 3 - The Three Priests (Introduction)

Welcome to part 15 of my Berwick Saga let's play. This update will contain a lot of story, world-building and character development, so I'll have to postpone the mission itself to part 16. That said, things are getting interesting, so let's dive in:

ch3_intro1fqjhn.png

King Volcens is giving Reese an audience.

ch3_intro28zjvu.png

Reese: As requested, I have delivered the supplies to Myuhen Castle.

Roswick: Your hard work is appreciated, Lord Reese.

Reese: In addition, I bear a message from Duke Warrenheit of the Lowlands for you, Your Majesty.

Volcens: Oh? Tell me.

Reese: After fierce attacks by the Empire's main forces, Myuhen Castle will not be able to hold for much longer. He urgently beseeches Your Majesty to send him reinforcements, lest the front line be lost.

Volcens: Hmph, that Warrenheit... He dares to whine to me?

Roswick: Y-Your Majesty, if I may interject...if Myuhen were to fall, the Highlands and Lowlands would be overrun...The Empire's primary force would advance to Narvia's doorstep, but we are still woefully unprepared. And now with rumours of strange disturbances arising in Bornia to our south, I fear for the worst...

ch3_intro3vdkfy.png

Volcens: That is concerning...

Padolf: Duke Roswick, your own daughter is the wife to Duke Warrenheit, is that not so?

ch3_intro44sjag.png

Padolf: Truly, it has become so difficult to find competent help in these trying times...It was said that you and Duke Reed of Bornia were the backbone of the Berwick League's forces.

Going back to the game's intro for a moment:

ch3_intro52wkkd.png

The leaders pictured are Bernstol (top left), Reed (lower left), and Roswick. We'll be hearing more about Bernstol and Reed later in the story as well.

Padolf: But now, you have both revealed your true colours!

Roswick: This is absurd...

Padolf: Thrice now, Bornia has refused to provide us with even a single soldier for His Majesty's army. What's more, scouts are reporting disturbing movements of troops along their border with Narvia. What do you suppose it could all mean, Duke Roswick?

ch3_intro61mkst.png

Roswick: However, the fact that Bornia's troops are moving suspiciously is troubling. I cannot fathom their intent.

Herman: You can't? I can think of an explanation. With Bornia, Narvia and the Lowland Duchies' forces combined, would their power not rival even His Majesty's? Perhaps these duchies have already conspired to defect to the Empire when the time is ripe...and what better time could there be to stage a coup d'etat than when His Majesty's forces are away?

ch3_intro7uij7w.png

Volcens: Herman, hold your tongue... Duke Roswick is my most trusted retainer. The idea of him conspiring in such a way is unthinkable... And yet, perhaps these times call for anticipating the unthinkable... Roswick, dispatch a messenger to Myuhen at once. Inform Warrenheit that he will not be receiving any reinforcements.

Roswick: ...Yes, Your Majesty. Lord Reese, I have no further orders for you at this time. You are dismissed.

Reese: Yes, Your Grace. I shall take my leave.

Quescria: Actually, Lord Reese, Archbishop Lebough has asked to speak to you,

ch3_intro8jnk4t.png

Volcens and his advisors are reaching quite a bit there. The only confirmation they have of a possible betrayal by any duchy is the suspicious troop movements and lack of support from Bornia. The timing doesn't make sense for Warrenheit to defect, he's weathered repeated Imperial assaults on his position, presumably with heavy losses of troops. As for Roswick, it's been obvious since the last chapter that his opinion is taken less seriously than that of Padolf and Herman. Paranoid as Volcens is, their suppositions combined with current events make for a perfect storm.

Later, at the temple:

ch3_intro93hkua.png

Lebough: No, no... I am in no position to give orders to you, Lord Reese. What I'm asking for is a favour. However, I must ask that the matter I am about to discuss be kept secret. In fact, I'd even like it to be kept from His Majesty and his advisors.

Reese: ...I understand. I will keep this strictly confidential.

Lebough: Good lad. Now then, what do you know of the Temple of the Apostle?

Reese: I know it is a place for young clerics of the Church to receive training, but nothing beyond that...

Lebough: As you may know, our Apostle is rather different from the Pope of the Church of Raze. She does not hold absolute power, as the archbishops like myself serve alongside her to lead the Verian Church.

ch3_intro1080jxg.png

Lebough: Ah, that is but a superstition. The Apostle is descended from the bloodline of Saint Aramgraz. In other words, her family is one of the few pure-blooded lineages dating back to the ancient Lazberian Empire.

Reese: I see... I'm afraid my studies have covered very little about the Church's history.

Lebough: That is easily remedied. I shall summarise the basics for you. Over six hundred years ago, most of our ancestors were former slaves from the fallen Lazberian Empire. But soon after the Old Empire fell, the Raze Empire rose from its ashes. To escape the Razite invasion, Saint Aramgraz led the Exodus to the west.

ch3_intro1141kr9.png

Lebough: Indeed, you are correct. After St. Aramgraz's death, Eltana went on to become our kingdom. The teachings of St. Aramgraz were the foundation upon which the holy Church of Veria was built. His granddaughter, St. Valemia, succeeded him and became known as the first Apostle of Veria. After her death, the city of Eltana was renamed Valemtine in her honour.

ch3_intro12f0jh4.png

Reese: She drove away the forces of Raze and established the Shining Knights to protect the people...though my father said that throughout the Berwick League, the Apostle was both loved and feared immensely. I suppose it's only natural that such power would inspire that in people...

Lebough: The power of those with Lazberian blood has always been a source of fear and awe. It may very well always be so...perhaps that is just their lot in life as a people. Regardless, the Apostles' power is a consequence of their bloodline.

By power, Lebough means affinity for magic.

ch3_intro13dtkoe.png

Lebough: So the world believes, at least. We have done our best to keep the fact of her survival a secret. But she yet lives, hidden in plain sight among the clerics at the Temple of the Apostle. The Temple itself can be found in Demias Forest, also called the Forest of the Spirits by locals.

Reese: ...

Lebough: Her name is Sanacia Phira Bronte.

An alternate translation has the Apostle's name as "Sanacia Fille Bronte".

ch3_intro14swkfn.png

Lebough: Yes, that terrible tragedy of fourteen years ago... Only her newborn child, Sanacia, survived. Over these past years, I have done everything in my power as Archbishop to keep her safe. As the only surviving member of the Apostle's line, she is the Church's last hope. As such, we have kept her existence hidden from the world at large, lest she be targeted again.

Reese: I see...

Lebough: However, over the last year or so, word has somehow gotten out that the Apostle is alive. Not only that, but Demias Forest has become overrun with a great number of despicable bandits. At the moment, she remains safely in the hands of her personal knight, but the situation is...undesirable.

ch3_intro15knj2e.png

Lebough: For safety purposes, the Apostle will only correspond with certain trusted priests serving under me. Therefore, I will be dispatching three of them to deliver the message. What I am asking you to do, Lord Reese, is escort these three priests to the temple in Demias Forest.

Reese: Three messengers? Why not simply send one?

Lebough: It's a long story, but...they've known each other for years, and frankly, they all hate each other. They are all high-ranking priests, and they are eager to show each other up at every opportunity. But that means that they'll compete against each other, so they'll see their mission through, no matter what happens.

ch3_intro169fkqe.png

Lebough: I must apologise in advance for the awful headache they will inevitably cause you.

Reese: I understand. Leave it to me, Your Excellency.

So, we've learned a fair bit about Verian history and the significance of the Apostle. The assassination of Silpha Bronte was obviously blamed on a Raze faction, considering the religious differences and their history of conflict. Presumably the Berwick League had the upper hand for some of this time, or at least forced a stalemate. We don't yet know what happened on the Raze side of the Lazberian collapse, or the history of the Raze Church. Over time I can imagine that the more extremist voices on both sides won out - after hundreds of years it's likely the truth has been obscured or forgotten.

Back at the office, Tianna has some news:

ch3_intro17kyki5.png

ch3_intro18cvjdt.png

Let's read this letter.

ch3_intro19d8kvi.png

ch3_intro20tqk17.png

ch3_intro217vjyi.png

ch3_intro22a7kcc.png

ch3_intro239cjtm.png

ch3_intro24lgjry.png

We'll be learning more about Lynette shortly, but before that I'll look at the mission details.

ch3_intro25fujg8.png

The unit limit for this mission is 12:

ch3_intro265akw0.png

Let's go out into town and see what the citizen requests are.

ch3_intro27izjxw.png

One extra this time. Let's meet the collector first:

ch3_intro28ebjf9.png

We see a sharply-dressed man looking around at the atelier.

ch3_intro29likku.png

Erzheimer: ...Could it be that you...just maybe...

Ward: ...?

Erzheimer: Ah, do pardon me. I am called Erzheimer. Pleased to meet you!

Ward: Are you attempting to sell me something, Mr Erzheimer?

Erzheimer: No, no, I do not sell... I collect! Finding the most exquisite items from across the world is my greatest joy!

Ward: Ah, I see... A collector...

Erzheimer: Quite so! And do not be fooled, for my passion for valuable items is no mere hobby! What, you might ask, is it exactly that I have in my collection? Allow me to enlighten you!

The scene fades out and then back in, indicating that Erzheimer talked at length about his collection.

Erzheimer: ...and in so doing, I earned the trust of the chieftain and his tribe.

ch3_intro300fjrm.png

Erzheimer: ...but I had difficulty, for you see, the weather in al-Dimasqi is...

Ward: (...I cannot endure this any longer!)

ch3_intro31xhjn3.png

Ward: But...

Erzheimer: Come, come, let us discuss this further at my home.

Ward: Sir, I really must insist that I...

Erzheimer: It is not far from here, not at all! Come, yes, come! Quickly, now!

Ward: ...

At Erzheimer's home:

ch3_intro32dzj0j.png

Erzheimer: Indeed! Indeed it is! Take a look at this for instance... This ceramic pitcher is an artifact of the ancient Parthian civilization!

Ward: ...Is it now?

Erzheimer: Just look at the craftsmanship! The perfect sheen of the glaze... the smooth, erotic curves...!

Ward: Right...

Erzheimer points to the wall adornments behind him.

ch3_intro33j1k7v.png

Erzheimer: When I grasp it and close my eyes...yes, it's as if I was truly there!

ch3_intro34rsj7w.png

Erzheimer: ...

Ward: Mr Erzheimer!

Erzheimer: ...Hm? What is it?

Ward: I believe you said you were going to get right to the point?

Erzheimer: Ah, yes, how scatterbrained of me... As you can plainly see, my collection is vast and exquisite, but it is not even close to complete. I must have more, see more... My collection must be as vast as the heavens themselves, you see?

Ward: I can tell that you are quite the enthusiastic collector...

ch3_intro35qgjla.png

Erzheimer: What I seek after right now is one of their coveted orbs of unholy magic... They call it "Darkmend".

Ward: How very...unusual...

Erzheimer: It is precisely because it is unusual that I must have it! The forbidden... The taboo...! The ordinary people of this world could never comprehend the passion that compels me so! O-Of course, I don't mean to say that you are one of those "ordinary" people, Sir Ward! No, not at all!

Ward: ...

Erzheimer: A-Ahem. Sir Ward...

I can feel Ward's eyes glazing over.

Erzheimer: If, perchance, you come by one of the Raze cultists' Darkmend orbs, would you consider letting me have it? And naturally, I would not ask you to do this without sufficient incentive!

ch3_intro36rmjgw.png

Erzheimer: Would that be insufficient...?

Ward: N-No... (How wealthy is this man?! Such a sum of money would certainly be useful for our war funds...)

ch3_intro37h0jvg.png

Erzheimer is quite the amusing eccentric. You can give him items of interest in exchange for money starting after the chapter 3 main mission, and there are usually multiple chances to obtain each one during the game. His house will show up on the list of city locations after a mission when you obtain an item Erzheimer wants. You can choose to hold onto said items instead, and the option will remain available while the collector items are still in your possession.

The next citizen request scene is at the tavern:

ch3_intro38sgktm.png

Nieves: I would, but the client is the duke! I wouldn't dare ask that of a man like him...

Alex: Sir Ward! Mind lending an ear to my friend about this situation?

Ward: Hm?

Nieves: ...

Ward: Is he having some sort of problem?

Alex: Sounds like it. I'll let him explain.

Nieves: Sir...

ch3_intro39u3k3e.png

Ward: A fur craftsman?

Nieves: Yes, sir. I largely do work for the palace. They hire me to make fur coats, fur trim on dresses, stylish rugs... That sort of thing. Those rich folks at the palace, their favourite is antelope fur. Even His Majesty loves it.

Ward: That is unsurprising. From what I hear, antelope fur is durable and has a brilliant sheen.

Nieves: You're quite right. However, antelopes are very skittish, and devilishly hard to hunt. I only get the chance to work with antelope fur maybe once or twice a year.

Ward: I see! Yet another reason why their fur must be quite valuable.

ch3_intro406akey.png

Nieves: You're telling me. I'm in trouble. I called in a favour from a friend of mine, an experienced hunter.

Ward: Oh?

Nieves: He's an old pal of mine. His name's Rodin. He promised he'd be able to get me an antelope skin within the month. The problem is, because it's such short notice, he had to go hunting in a pretty dangerous area...

Ward: Has he found an antelope yet?

Nieves: I have no clue. I haven't heard from him ever since he left for Demias Forest.

Ward: Demias Forest, you say? That is a dangerous area, I hear...

Nieves: Oh, you know the area?

Ward: I know it to be poorly defended, and that bandits and thieves are rampant. Come to think of it, perhaps I could simply seek this hunter out myself...

Nieves: What?!

Ward: I cannot make promises however. I will be going there on a mission. If I can, I will find this hunter Rodin and ask him how the hunt fares.

ch3_intro41lmkdp.png

Nieves: Rodin is a master hunter, so he'll likely be hiding in the forest on the lookout for game. He may be hard to spot unless you get very close to his position. Thanks again, and best of luck!

The next request involves the bow-and-arrow shop:

ch3_intro426djyv.png

Bluck: She got away from them eventually, but ever since she got back, she's shut herself up in her room...

Tianna: No doubt it was a dreadful experience for her...

Bluck: I don't want to imagine it, but... maybe something happened that she can't talk to her father about...I-If something like that ever happened to my little girl, I... I...

Tianna: Calm yourself, Bluck. There is no need to panic over what may or may not have happened.

Bluck: Y-You're right... Lady Tianna...I'm sorry to ask this of you, but would you be willing to try talking to my daughter for me?

ch3_intro438rj2y.png

Tianna knocks on Teresa's door, and then enters.

ch3_intro44oujyq.png

Teresa: Lady Tianna...

Tianna: I just finished speaking with your father...

Teresa: I couldn't...I couldn't stop them...

Tianna steps closer, offering her hand.

ch3_intro45kkj0j.png

Teresa: My mirror...

Tianna: Shh, hush now... It's all going to be-- Wait, your mirror?

Teresa: Yes... Cecily and I bought a matching pair of them. I dropped it when I was running away from those bandits...They were meant to be symbols of our eternal friendship, but now... it's gone forever...What will I do...? If Cecily found out that I lost it...

ch3_intro46t7j2m.png

Teresa: Huh? No, they never caught me. Luckily, I ran into this local hunter who helped me get away.

Tianna: What a relief! Thank the Goddess it wasn't anything serious...

Teresa: Wait, what did you think had happened to me...? And what do you mean, it wasn't serious?! My friendship with Cecily is at stake! I would've gone back looking for it, but it tumbled over the bluffs and into Demias Lake below...

ch3_intro47nejcu.png

Teresa: You will?! You really mean it? Oh, thank you, Lady Tianna!

Tianna: (I just pray that Lord Reese's soldiers do know how to swim...)

That was a sharply written misdirection from Mr Kaga there (and also excellent translation on Aethin's part). He had me fooled the first time I played the game and saw that scene. Especially as I had preconceptions from playing the Fire Emblem games that Kaga directed. It's worth noting that the citizen requests will also affect the game's ending, including for playable characters.

The next one involves the waitress at the Kingfisher Pavilion:

ch3_intro48ahjr5.png

Arina: This isn't what Mother would want you to do! If you become a murderer, the Goddess may never forgive you for it!

Esteban: The Goddess?! What has the Goddess ever done for us, huh?! If I don't start making money soon, the flies in our latrine will start getting hungry!

Arina: When father comes home from his work overseas, I'm sure he'll...

Esteban: Don't fool yourself, Arina! How many years has it been since he went abroad? That bastard's never coming home!

Arina: Esteban...!

He walks away, and the scene fades to black. Back at the Kingfisher, Arina spills a hot drink:

ch3_intro49s0jhf.png

ch3_intro50tvk5s.png

Marybelle: Sorry about that, Christine. I'll whip you up something else.

Christine: Sure, no rush. Arina, is your hand okay? I hope you didn't get burned...

Arina: Yes, I'm fine. Sorry for disturbing you... Ow!

Marybelle: That's a burn, all right... Arina, I'll take care of the spill. You go soak your hand in the well out back, got it?

Arina: Yes, ma'am...

Arina leaves, and a short while later, Christine and Marybelle discuss Arina's troubles:

ch3_intro51iok9c.png

Christine: Arina has a brother? I've never understood why some siblings always fight so much...I hope they make up soon.

Marybelle: Little fights break out pretty often among her and her brothers. They're seven kids in all.

Christine: Seven? That's a large family...

Marybelle: They used to be a farming family out in one of the nearby villages. When the war broke out and bandits started moving in, they had to move here to the city.

ch3_intro52vnkp2.png

Marybelle: Finding a job here ain't easy. Her father went off to find work abroad, but he never came back. Their poor mother worked herself to exhaustion just to feed her kids... She lies sick in bed now most days. Now it's fallen on her oldest kid, Esteban, to support the household.

Christine: How unfortunate...but sadly common these days...

Marybelle: You said it... Arina's a good girl, though. I've got no complaints about the work she puts in here. But that idiot Esteban...somehow he got it in his head that it'd be better if he left town to find work, too...

ch3_intro53m7kqg.png

Marybelle: That poor fool Esteban's got to be stopped before he gets himself hurt. Got any ideas how we could help her out, Christine?

Arina returns and interrupts the conversation.

ch3_intro540xkxb.png

Arina: Miss Christine, please forget about what you just heard. I can handle things myself. I'm going to make sure that everything is taken care of...

Christine: ...Arina, how exactly are you going to take care of everything without another source of income?

Arina: I-I know what I have to do...There are people who are... Interested... in girls like me...

Christine: You can't mean...Never! I won't let you!

Yup, she meant prostitution.

ch3_intro55ulkpw.png

Christine: So until then, don't do anything hasty, all right?

Marybelle: That's right, Arina! Don't even think about it! I'm not letting anything like that happen to you!

Arina: ...

Marybelle: You can pull through this, I know it! Let Miss Christine help you. We won't let things get any worse!

Arina: All right...Please, Christine...Please save my brother...

Christine gets to be a good samaritan. The requests are summarised in the menu, as usual:

ch3_intro56mhk7y.png

Time to start preparations.

ch3_intro57zxjyt.png

Oh, there's still some more story cutscenes. I think this Axel scene depends on happiness score, but in any case, I'll start with that.

Reese is visiting the abbey:

ch3_intro58xcjpp.png

ch3_intro599xjim.png

Reese stops and turns towards the girl.

Reese: E-Excuse me?

Ciel: A-Ah...I'm sorry...I mistook you for somebody else...You smell like the open plains, just like he does...

Reese: Er...

Luciana exits the abbey:

ch3_intro6075jnl.png

She turns toward Reese.

Luciana: Ah, Lord Reese! How good to see you.

They head inside:

ch3_intro61rhjcm.png

Luciana: Sister Maria! You should show Lord Reese respect when you address him!

Maria: Y-Yes, Ma'am! Forgive my rudeness, Lord Reese!

Maria leaves to prepare the food.

ch3_intro62zekcy.png

Reese: By the way, who is that little girl? She seems to have mistaken me for someone else...

Luciana: Ah, that's Miss Ciel. As you may have already gathered, she is blind.

Reese: I thought so...

Luciana: It's so sad, the poor girl... Children her age should be able to run about freely, without care... Two years ago, a local fisherman found her washed up on the shores of the bay. Her brought her here, and we nursed her back to health as best we could...but her sight never did return. The archbishop believes it was from being exposed to the elements when she was adrift at sea for so long.

ch3_intro639ejkv.png

Luciana: But eventually, she opened up to us. She told us her name and that the ship she was on had been attacked.

Reese: This "Daddy" whom she mentioned before... Is he not her real father?

Luciana: No, she has no living family. That man, Mr. Axel, was found in the same way she was. We were simply on a walk by the wharf, and we were shocked to find an unconscious man on the beach. But even more shocking was how devotedly Ciel looked after him. She was desperate to ensure that he made a full recovery. Curious, is it not? A blind girl, nursing an unconscious man back to health...

Axel's voice is heard from the next room:

ch3_intro64wzj0i.png

Axel: What's this? You're just setting the table now? Ciel, I told you to eat dinner by yourself because I'd be late today...

Ciel: I know...

Maria: I see, you wanted to eat dinner with your Daddy, didn't you, Ciel?

Ciel: ...

Axel: Ciel, you've got to eat if you want to grow up big and strong. No more skipping meals for me. Got it?

Ciel: Yes, Daddy...

ch3_intro65etjul.png

Luciana: He comes to see her nearly every day of the week. They're like a real family...

Reese mulls over the story.

Reese: (They're quite the unusual pair. I wonder... Does he work as a mercenary to afford treatment for her eyes?)

An indeterminate amount of time later, Tianna meets a man at the temple's library:

ch3_intro664rj0c.png

ch3_intro674ckfj.png

Tianna: Research, you say? Are you a student at the university here in Navaron?

Almuth: No, I'm from... a small country to the far east. I heard Navaron had an extensive library, so I traveled here.

Tianna: Interesting... How dedicated of you! What topic are you researching, that you would come all the way here?

Almuth: It's history! I'm told that it's odd, but I find the ancient world much more interesting than the modern day.

Tianna: That is a rather odd thing to say. Do you find the modern world dull?

Almuth: Not dull, exactly, but it's nothing without the history that led to it. Just consider this: the Berwick League has been in on-and-off wars with the Empire for almost five hundred years. This fight has gone on so long, it's just accepted as a fact of life! But why is it even happening?

ch3_intro68tckuj.png

Almuth: Not lying per se, but repeating tales they don't realise are untrue. Tell me, what do you think of the Raze Empire, as a Verian citizen?

Tianna: We try not to think about it. Those who have been there say it's an awful place with no justice. But if we don't defend ourselves against the Empire, they'll surely kill us all.

Almuth: Is that so? The citizens of the Raze Empire say the same thing... about the Berwick League. They fight to protect their families from certain death at the hands of your merciless soldiers.

Tianna: But that's absurd!

Almuth: I agree. It is absurd. But the Berwick League is no better than the Empire in this regard.

Almuth is likely hinting at civilian massacres and other similar acts committed by League soldiers when they had the advantage in the conflict.

Almuth: It would be easy to stop the war. But both sides are so misguided and afraid that they can't even see it. And that's because neither of them understands the full truth of how this conflict even started. I want to act as an outside observer, looking at history with an unbiased eye to discover the truth.

ch3_intro69d2krf.png

Almuth: My name is...Almuth.

Tianna: Almuth... I'm glad I was able to meet you and learn a bit about your research. I hope I can learn more from you in the future, Mr. Almuth.

Almuth: Oh no, Almuth is just fine. Although I do hope that one day, I will be able to introduce myself as "Professor Almuth." And you are, Madam?

Tianna: Ah, excuse me. My name is Tianna. I serve as secretary to Lord Reese of Sinon.

Almuth: In that case, well met, Lady Tianna.

Tianna: Indeed! The same to you, Almuth.

Normally I would say this much dialogue before a mission is bad pacing, but it is well written enough to be compelling. There is one more scene, involving the letter Reese received:

ch3_intro704zjtp.png

Back to the Sinon Knights' headquarters, as Tianna and Ward discuss said letter:

ch3_intro71s9k1b.png

Tianna: I only happened to see her name on the envelope... Is she a family member of his?

Ward: That is... a difficult question.

Tianna: Should I not have asked?

Ward: No, no, it's just a delicate matter. Not even Lord Reese knows the whole truth of it. Lady Tianna, would you be willing to keep this conversation a secret from Lord Reese?

Tianna: Surely you should not be keeping secrets from your own liege? If it is that kind of secret, I believe I may be better off not knowing!

Ward: The truth can be painful, milady, especially when it comes to those close to you. Margrave Bernstol ordered me to keep the full truth of the matter hidden from everyone until the right time.

Tianna: Is it truly such a terrible secret that even Lord Reese must be kept in the dark?

Ward: I believe Lord Reese should know, but Margrave Bernstol feels differently about the matter.

ch3_intro72c1jvt.png

Ward: Please, milady, hear me out. I need someone I can talk to regarding this matter. Besides, I've said too much now, so you are already my accomplice in this betrayal of Lord Reese.

Tianna: Why, you...! And if I let slip this dark secret to Lord Reese? What then?

Ward: As I would not have personally told Lord Reese anything, my promise to Margrave Bernstol would be kept.

Tianna: ...And either way, I would still be your accomplice, is that it?

Ward: Yes, we are in this together now. That was my whole reason for telling you this much. Forgive me.

Tianna: Very well, I will listen...but I do not like this!

ch3_intro73ilkgz.png

Tianna: The Duchess?!

Ward: Yes, and it is that particular fact that Lord Reese does not know. He believes that she is a common girl orphaned by the war.

Tianna: Why would Margrave Bernstol keep such a secret from his son?

Ward: Allow me to explain. Two years ago, Serenia's Duke Louvet was betrayed and murdered. Count Piers, the duke's vassal, usurped power and sided with the Raze Empire. He ordered the duke's entire family to be executed, but thankfully, Lady Lynette was rescued by her servants.

ch3_intro74lhjh7.png

Ward: If he ever learned where Lady Lynette had escaped to, he would certainly send assassins after her.

Tianna: Even so, is it truly necessary to keep this secret from Lord Reese?

Ward: It is more complicated than that, I fear. After Lady Lynette was rescued, she was brought to Margrave Bernstol. She was in the depths of despair, and he took pity on her, choosing to adopt her as his own daughter. However, as an heiress to one of the ducal houses, Lady Lynette has a rank even higher than Lord Reese. The Margrave's idea was that she and Lord Reese would grow together like any other brother and sister...

Somehow I don't find this explanation by Ward entirely convincing. Reese was almost at the age of maturity at this point, and Lynette only slightly younger. What was Bernstol really planning? Was he trying to seek an advantageous marriage for his son under the cover of adopting an orphan?

Ward: ...but he was worried that if his son knew of her true parentage, he would have difficulty accepting her as family. As fate would have it, this created another problem. With nothing to divide them, the two of them have become quite fond of one another.

ch3_intro7596kny.png

Ward: I believe Lord Reese was a valuable emotional crutch for her in the trying time after losing her family. Regardless, they have become quite close, even though Lord Reese does not know the truth...

Tianna: ...I understand. I will help you keep this secret for the time being.

Ward: Thank you, Lady Tianna. It has been carthartic simply to talk about this with you.

ch3_intro76xckzq.png

With that revelation, we're now free to prepare for the escort mission. There is new equipment available, so I'll browse that now, starting with the temple:

ch3_intro77e6kc4.png

Thunder is the first 2-range spell introduced, although its accuracy and damage is lower than Fire.

ch3_intro78lgk1d.png

The vanishstone essentially functions as a magic-based cloaking device for 3 turns, which can be useful to ambush with units that can't normally hide, or to sneak past enemies.

ch3_intro793mjoi.png

The bow/arrow shop has a longbow available, which is a noticeable step up from the shortbow. I might pick one up for Christine as a spare.

ch3_intro80umj0x.png

The Gastraphetes takes its name from a crossbow of Greek design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastraphetes . Compared to the iron crossbow, it packs more punch at the cost of added weight and lower accuracy.

ch3_intro815gjhy.png

ch3_intro82vkj7l.png

Better arrows are also available. I'll definitely be picking up the bronze+ arrows to help train Christine and Sherlock.

ch3_intro83xfjfm.png

The Francisca is another historical weapon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisca . It's a straight upgrade from the hand axe, while still being very cheap.

ch3_intro8498k0p.png

Broadaxes in real life were used for logging rather than combat, but the latter is possible in Berwick Saga. A nice weapon for Dean and\or Axel to improve their damage output over the iron axe.

ch3_intro85m5j5n.png

ch3_intro86gtjrw.png

The new spears aren't as interesting, although the harpoon is cheap enough to be worth picking up for training. There is only one iron spear in stock for this chapter as well.

ch3_intro878uks5.png

We've already seen the broadsword. It does require level 5 for proficient use, and some of my sword users aren't there yet.

ch3_intro8844kbf.png

ch3_intro89fvkga.png

ch3_intro903ajqz.png

Three new shields are in stock. The Kiteshield and Aspis are respectable, but they have a base 40% block chance rather than 50%.

To finish off this update, let's meet Clifford:

ch3_intro91egksv.png

ch3_intro920kkdw.png

ch3_intro93jgkkk.png

ch3_intro94nkjlc.png

That's expensive. Fortunately, he has a lot to bring to the table:

ch3_intro9543jp2.png

ch3_intro96hfky4.png

Despite his drinking problem, Clifford is arguably the best soldier available in the game. As a prepromote, his base stats are better than Ward, and he comes with some excellent starting gear. As the name suggests, the Killer Spear has an 18% critical chance and is flat-out better than any other spear for sale at this point. The Mithril Sword has 13 base attack and the same accuracy as the broadsword and longsword, while being more durable.

The Paladin Shield is only usable by promoted knight-type classes, but offers a whopping 13 defence; Clifford's 23 skill combined with Shieldfaire gives him an 81% block chance. It also confers +3 to magic, which in this case counts as resistance to magic-based attacks. Alternatively, he can equip small shields, if preferred. To make him an even better tank, he has the provoke skill to draw enemies away from your weaker units. Lances are also an option, if you'd rather sacrifice counterattacking for more raw damage.

All in all, Clifford is well worth the asking price of 2800 denarrii for main missions.

With that overview done, I'll end the update here. Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 16: Chapter 3 - The Three Priests (part 1)

Before I cover battle preparations, I wanted to make a few quick points about the story so far. I said back in the fourth update or so that a Verian month usually passes per chapter, but there's actually a longer timeskip between chapters 2 and 3 than usual. This is already implied when Reese travels to Myuhen and back, which is some distance to the northwest of Navaron:

ch3_main0cykys.png

As you can see, Bornia has a long border with Narvia, so the possible defection being discussed would be a serious problem. Myuhen occupies an important position since it allows access to the Lowland duchy over favourable terrain, without needing to cross mountains or wildlands. At this stage in the war, the Raze Empire has already overrun Pesil, Ishs, Leia, Riana, Veria and Yutoria, with some of Serenia also being occupied. Demias Forest, the location of Reese's next mission, is in the southern fringes of Narvia.

For mercenaries, I contract Sylvis (1450), Clifford (2800), Axel (700), Volo (1075), and Kramer (425). Volo and Kramer's rates were halved from the usual amount because I hired them at the end of chapter 2. You'll notice that Sylvis increased her fee; as I mentioned earlier in the LP, mercenaries will get more expensive as they level up. Axel is of course the only unit that can swim into Demias Lake to retrieve Teresa's mirror.

I'm adding Adel and Leon to the team for this mission, since their hitrate boost from Supporter will be useful here. Ward and Christine are necessary for citizen requests, and I'm keeping Izerna for healing as I expect the AI to throw everything it has at the priests. Elbert will stay active as I want to promote him, and he's the toughest of the Sinon Knights in the early chapters.

ch3_main1vskpm.png

At the stables, I gave Reese, Elbert and Christine the Sinon Stallions retrieved in chapter 2. Ward and Leon get a thin horse each. Clifford has his own horse with comparable stats to the Sinon ones, and Adel still has the mount I bought him in chapter 1.

To supplement existing and captured weapons from the last chapter, I purchased the following: a harpoon for Adel; a set of pilums and an iron spear for Leon; a set of franciscas for Axel; an aspis for Elbert to replace his broken shield; a longbow for Sylvis as her composite bow is low on durability; 20 improved bronze arrows for Christine; and a mend orb for Izerna (the heal spell is becoming insufficient). Some extra vulneraries were also distributed as a just-in-case measure.

Now I'll stop at the Kingfisher to see what stat buffs I can get for my units this chapter. Before doing this, I shuffled around the active roster a bit - I want to give Sherlock a boost for a later mission, so I moved him in, and moved out characters that don't need any help (Clifford for example).

ch3_main2q7k34.png

ch3_main32pjl4.png

The rabbit, chicken, mackerel and eggs don't provide good enough bonuses to be worthwhile. The scallops, beef and pork however do have useful buffs for my current party. Beef Bourguignon (alternately translated as Beef Stew) gives +10 hitpoints, and a small amount of hp regeneration at the beginning of each turn. It's a favourite of Reese and Christine, so they can get the maximum benefit from it. Elbert can still get the +10hp.

Sauteed Pork gives +5 hitpoints, and if its a favourite, faster recovery from sleep/poison/confused status (Serenesforest.net says berserk, but confusion is actually what the game shows as affected). Axel likes it, so he can definitely use that. Ward, Volo, and Kramer still receive the hp bonus. Butter Scallops (aka Scallop Poele) increase accuracy and critical chance by up to 7% and 5% respectively. It's a small boost, but welcome for my archers. Sylvis likes it, and Sherlock receives +7% accuracy/+3% crit.

With that done, we're ready to move out:

ch3_main4rfjhd.png

ch3_main5gukkl.png

ch3_main6otj4g.png

ch3_main7muk6x.png

ch3_main8quko3.png

ch3_main9ghk36.png

ch3_main10vvj8v.png

ch3_main11qmj0n.png

ch3_main12mhkx2.png

ch3_main136tkcr.png

ch3_main14qwjij.png

ch3_main159akyk.png

The deployment zone is in the southwestern corner of the map.

ch3_main16vmka6.png

Switching to the strategic view, we can see there is a lot of ground to cover:

ch3_main17plkb7.png

In the northwest, there is a cave entrance, a church, a house, and archers waiting on cliffs overlooking the roads.

ch3_main1848kvq.png

The central portion has shallows where the road intersects with the lake, some corsairs at the lake, a fort, and a mounted thief on the other side of the crossing. There's a tall building on the edge of the forest, near the temple.

ch3_main19bkj7i.png

In the east, there are more enemies around the road including archers, and two chokepoints along the way. There is also a house in the southeast.

ch3_main20jgkqs.png

Their leader has battle cry and a shamshir:

ch3_main20_e14xjzz.png

ch3_main20_e26vkdn.png

Agvan is also wanted by the mercenary guild, so I'll be sure to take care of him before sending Reese to the temple.

The first of the three priests we're escorting is Orbel:

ch3_main210sk0k.png

He has a miracle charm that will protect him from one lethal attack before breaking. He'll also heal your units if he ends his movement next to one of them (as will the other two priests).

The second priest is Sakhalin:

ch3_main22dcjpl.png

ch3_main23h4k67.png

The skill miracle re-rolls fatal attacks with hit-10, potentially saving the character from death. Unfortunately, he won't use the fire magic except in a couple of scripted encounters, to my knowledge.

Finally, we have Grimm:

ch3_main24tbjjd.png

ch3_main25kbk74.png

He also has miracle. It's a good thing I brought Izerna along, because the priests can't heal themselves. After rearranging units, I begin the mission:

ch3_main26gejm4.png

The priests discuss which way to take to the temple.

ch3_main272bj1n.png

Sakhalin: The southern road is much safer.

Grimm: It is safer, but it is also far too out of the way to be expedient... Let us make a compromise. We can go north, on the road passing through the valley.

Orbel: Her Eminence is in danger! We must not tarry any longer than is absolutely necessary!

Sakhalin: We must prioritise our own safety first if we want to save her. What point is there in coming at all if we cannot make it to her alive?

Grimm: Cease this pointless bickering! We must make a decision!

ch3_main285jki8.png

Sakhalin: I know what you're doing, Grimm... You're just trying to get there before me so you can take all the credit! You've always been like that, trying to steal all the attention for yourself... I still haven't forgotten what you pulled back in the day!

Grimm: Oh, not this again... You're never going to let me live that down, are you? It was thirty-seven years ago! THIRTY-SEVEN YEARS!

Orbel: What are you two arguing about now? We don't have time for this! If you two are going to stay here and yell each other's ears off, I'll just go on ahead!

Grimm: Short-tempered as always, I see. Don't count on me to save your skin when you get attacked by thieves! Lord Reese, I will be taking the northern road through the valley. It is the only logical choice to make.

ch3_main29lqkd9.png

Sakhalin: He hasn't changed a single bit since the old days!

Grimm: Do what you want! I don't care! It's none of my business if you get yourself killed on the way! I'd rather do this job by myself, anyway!

Sakhalin: Aha! So you admit it! Finally showing your true colours, eh?

Orbel: (If I can get there first, Her Eminence will surely look upon me favourably...This could prove to be a golden opportunity to show these two who's really top dog...)

ch3_main304bjc1.png

Orbel walks off.

Sakhalin: W-Why, you--!

Sakhalin follows suit.

Grimm: Curse you both...!

ch3_main31ppk2z.png

Ward: It's regrettable, but if these old men won't listen to reason, then we will just have to manage. For now, we ought to focus on protecting them from any bandits prowling about.

At the lake, we overhear two corsairs talking:

ch3_main32c3j0t.png

Corsair #1: That mirror's gotta be around here somewhere...

Corsair #2: A mirror? What, like a hand mirror?

Corsair #1: Yeah.

Corsair #2: Whaddya need a mirror for? You're not winnin' any awards for that ugly mug o' yours.

Corsair #1: Nah, man. That girl from before dropped it. It was a real nice one, too...

ch3_main33tcjlv.png

Corsair #2: More important, why're you settlin' for a mirror when you coulda caught the girl, huh?

Corsair #1: Hey, I did all I could! If that damn old man hadn't been there, I definitely would've...

Corsair #2: Oh, an old guy was there? That changes everything! Ha ha ha...

Corsair #1: Dammit, where'd that mirror go...?

Corsair #2: Just forget about it, man. If it fell in the lake, there's no getting it back now.

ch3_main346mky6.png

To get maximum tactics points towards Reese's promotion, all of the priests must make it to the temple.

There are some tactical hints, so I'll screenshot the important ones:

ch3_main35e8jsw.png

ch3_main369bjzb.png

ch3_main37pckjx.png

ch3_main38huk0z.png

ch3_main39dcjtu.png

ch3_main401fkuw.png

ch3_main41sokxd.png

ch3_main42v1kj4.png

ch3_main43u4kv9.png

ch3_main447ukxm.png

ch3_main45lkkdq.png

Note that allied and neutral factions will get their first move after the player and enemy forces, as indicated on the top right:

ch3_main46igjq7.png

I move Clifford up first, to attack a nearby brigand. He takes off a big chunk of the latter's hp:

ch3_main47_24ljq7.png

The brigand is first enemy to move, and swiftly retreats. One of the priests walks up the road, and then some shuffling is heard as thieves hidden in the trees change position. One of them attacks Clifford, but both units miss their swings. Seeing that Orbel is exposed with at least two enemies in range, I have Ward charge at the archer:

ch3_main47_3qhkcv.png

He doesn't quite do enough damage to kill, and a hidden thief emerges from the trees to attack Orbel.

ch3_main47_4gwjwn.png

The archer luckily fails to hit his target:

ch3_main47_53jjdn.png

Christine equips her crossbow and puts a shot into the thief. The enemy corsairs advance. After a failed attack by Reese, Elbert finishes off the enemy that Ward hit earlier:

ch3_main47_6cij1k.png

Grimm heads north. Clifford dodges a brigand and counterattacks. Kramer uncovers a hidden archer:

ch3_main47_757k95.png

More hidden enemies are heard in the forest, while others in the east move towards the road. Leon kills the thief next to Orbel, which results in a level-up:

ch3_main47_89hkvz.png

ch3_main47_9kkkow.png

Adel puts an end to another archer:

ch3_main47_10jvk07.png

Conveniently, Sakhalin heals Orbel on his way to the eastern road.

ch3_main47_11hvke0.png

My remaining units advance north. A brigand hits Reese for minimal damage, but succeeds in knocking his sword out of his hand:

ch3_main47_1299kbo.png

At the start of turn 2, something is happening in the large building to the northeast...

ch3_main476hjfr.png

Fermat: Each time, the Witch of Veria has escaped our grasp due to the meddling of a Verian knight...

Almachus: That accursed Shining Knight... I'd never imagined that any of them had survived their king's purges...

Fermat: I can only reason that we must act directly if we are to capture the Witch of Veria with any certainty.

Almachus: I cannot allow that. We must keep ourselves hidden until His Holiness orders otherwise.

Fermat: ...but Cardinal Almachus, if we simply leave that knight to her own designs, could it not end disastrously for us?

A cloaked figure emerges as if from thin air.

ch3_main48hij2l.png

Chaos: Almachus...surely you have better things to be doing than dawdling about here? Bornia requires your attention. Due to your negligence, their troops have yet to make their move.

Almachus: Chaos, you may be His Holiness's personal knight, but I am still a cardinal of the Church. You will never address me in such an impudent manner again!

Chaos: Won't I? And how exactly do you plan on stopping me?

Almachus: Ergh...

ch3_main49txjg2.png

Almachus: The Bornian duke is already caught in our trap. He is a dead man walking. By the end of next month, the invasion of Narvia will begin.

Chaos: The duke's son Vester is investigating the army for rumours of spies, I hear. What will you do about him?

Almachus: As I said, all has been accounted for. You need not worry about Bornia.

Chaos: You say so, but I do not know what might happen should you fail... It could end very poorly for you.

Darth Vader Chaos seems to have his own agenda.

Chaos: Do not concern yourself with the little witch hiding in the temple. Return to Bornia and do your job.

Almachus: ...As you wish. I will oversee operations in Bornia. I leave the rest of this to you.

He vanishes instantaneously.

ch3_main50hdj18.png

Chaos: Fermat!

Fermat: Y-Yes, Master Chaos! How can I be of service?

Chaos: There appear to be a platoon of knights escorting three heretic priests to the temple here.

Fermat: I have instructed the bandits to guard all roads to the temple. However, if trained knights were to interfere, I cannot guarantee...

Chaos: Then you will deal with these interlopers yourself.

Fermat: B-But Master Chaos, that will mean leaving this building undefended...

Chaos: Undefended? Ignorant fool! Am I not here? Do you doubt my ability?!

Fermat: N-No, Master Chaos! Forgive me for suggesting something so absurd...

ch3_main51j1jcu.png

Fermat leaves the building.

Chaos: Ha ha ha... with this divine blade in my hand, I am unstoppable... Even the Pope will one day bow to the enormity of my power, and this world will be mine to rule...!

If his sword is that powerful, we're probably going to need another way besides direct combat to deal with him.

ch3_main52fgj2w.png

Guess I'll check Chaos's stats then.

ch3_main53fykkl.png

Ouch. Hitting him will be hard enough, never mind doing damage.

ch3_main5417kdv.png

So it gives 66% damage reduction against incoming attacks...

ch3_main55w2ke6.png

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be fighting this guy.

ch3_main561xk42.png

Fermat will be more straightforward to confront though. Back at the front line, however, there are more immediate problems:

ch3_main57yhj22.png

All three priests are in range of enemies, and I only get one move before a potential attack. I have Clifford provoke the thief near Grimm, but he doesn't take his turn yet. Instead, the brigand next to him swings his axe at Kramer:

ch3_main58ctj57.png

Sakhalin moves next, and Reese happens to be in healing range.

ch3_main597cjh6.png

A brigand throws a francisca at Orbel, failing to hit. Reese re-equips his broadsword, and crosses the river to attack a brigand near the bridge:

ch3_main60zdjag.png

ch3_main61f7jbp.png

The thief provoked by Clifford finally makes his move, doing minimal damage. Leon wipes a brigand off the map:

ch3_main62vijn8.png

Christine takes aim with her crossbow and hits another brigand, moving to the east afterwards with canto. Elbert's spear charge nets him a kill:

ch3_main63pijg7.png

He then evades an incoming enemy and counterattacks successfully. Sylvis puts an arrow into the nearby brigand, but falls short of killing him. Volo uses his deathmatch skill to eliminate one of the corsairs:

ch3_main64b4jou.png

Ward engages the second corsair, landing a hit on his retry attack. Kramer does the same to the thief next to Clifford.

Situation at the beginning of turn 3:

ch3_main651uk42.png

Sylvis takes the opening move, killing the brigand she hit on the previous turn.

ch3_main662nkcu.png

A corsair throws an axe at Ward, but is wide of the mark. Reese is attacked but blocks with his shield, minimising the damage. Adel rides forward to remove an enemy on the central road:

ch3_main67j4jsm.png

Which results in him getting a level.

ch3_main681fjzs.png

Elbert evades and counterattacks, knocking an enemy down to 3hp. I have him inflict damage on a different enemy, then canto onto the bridge to block the nearby ruffian from crossing it. An archer on the cliffs uses his longbowman skill to fire at Adel, but the latter avoids the arrow.

ch3_main69tmjye.png

He has poison arrows so I'll need to take him out soon. His friend nearby has the triple-shot skill:

ch3_main70zakzc.png

Christine's arrow fails to hit its target, but the axe thrown in return is more accurate and inflicts moderate damage.

ch3_main71hyjhi.png

Grimm moves next, and heals Clifford. Reese takes another hit from the ruffian, who cantos away to the southeast.

Volo fells the second corsair by the lake:

ch3_main72v8kh6.png

The rest of the Sinon Knights continue to advance along the roads. At the start of turn 4, respectable progress has been made:

ch3_main735nkrl.png

ch3_main74gxjm7.png

Elbert gets another kill.

ch3_main75mzj1q.png

A brigand hits Clifford, but the latter completely blocks the attack with his shield, although it is subsequently knocked out of his hand. The counterattack takes off half the brigand's hp. Another hidden thief rushes out of the trees in the west to attack Kramer, but the latter evades the strike.

Ward is traded Reese's shortsword to avoid overkill on a nearby enemy:

ch3_main76sejbw.png

Unfortunately, Reese's attack doesn't connect. Leon uses deathmatch on a brigand:

ch3_main77hgjtc.png

Some blows are exchanged elsewhere in the battlefield, with Ward taking minimal damage and Kramer getting a hit on the thief that attacked him earlier in the turn.

Agvan has occupied the temple entrance and is using battle cry:

ch3_main78mvj0u.png

Christine notches up another kill.

ch3_main79snju3.png

To finish off the turn, Volo takes the central road and Axel heads out into the lake to find the mirror.

On the fifth turn, my next priority is to keep Orbel safe from the two archers on high ground:

ch3_main81ukk6i.png

The southeastern road should be easier to secure.

ch3_main80cgj0c.png

Clifford provokes the nearest archer, but the first enemy to move is a ruffian in the south who hits Ward for minor damage. Axel retrieves the lost mirror:

ch3_main822djnw.png

ch3_main83y0kmj.png

Elbert kills an archer via spear charge. He's been impressive in this mission.

ch3_main8407k83.png

Christine hits the ruffian, but Reese's follow-up attacks miss. Fermat casts Swarm at Elbert:

ch3_main85ndjqw.png

He is able to avoid the spell.

ch3_main8697k62.png

My western force advances, as Leon uses deathmatch to take down a ruffian:

ch3_main87x3k7d.png

Beginning turn 6, there are still numerous threats to the priests' safety.

ch3_main88rzksb.png

ch3_main89rzksy.png

Kramer climbs up to get a hit in on the highground archers, while Reese eliminates a ruffian on his counterattack:

ch3_main90g0k60.png

He gets 1 point of strength on the level-up (which I forgot to take a screenshot of). Orbel visits a house near the river crossing:

ch3_main916jjte.png

Orbel: I had heard that this area was ransacked by bandits... How is it that you are unscathed?

Elder: Why, that's easily explained...

The woman morphs into...

ch3_main92ztj5f.png

Orbel: W-What?!

Igos: Those bandits outside? They're loyal men of the Raze Church, now that we've...persuaded them.

Orbel: ...I see. They wouldn't target a large building like the temple by themselves...It only makes sense that it was done on someone else's orders... However, you will not find me such an easy target!

ch3_main93akkkd.png

ch3_main9466jms.png

Orbel: Ugh...

The Raze priest notices someone at the door.

Igos: Who are you?!

ch3_main95t7j8j.png

Paramythis rushes at Igos, cutting him down in one strike of her sword.

Paramythis: Father, are you all right?

Orbel takes time to catch his breath, before noticing something unusual about her attire.

ch3_main966dkaz.png

Orbel: Astonishing... I had thought all of the Order's knights had been purged by Mordias during the Rebellion!

Paramythis: Back then, I was still only a page, but Father Lebough took me into his care and hid me from the purges.

It seems this civil war happened several or more years ago, judging by Paramythis' apparent age. Paramythis is Greek for "fairy tale", incidentally.

Paramythis: Since then, I have hidden among the other sisters at the Apostle's temple.

Orbel: I see... it must have been terrible, having to hide yourself in that way... Yet I can see that you have not let hardship dull your skill in battle! Truly, you are a Shining Knight. I am indebted to you, fellow servant of the Apostle. You have my eternal gratitude.

ch3_main97e7k4t.png

Orbel: Have you not heard of this from the Archbishop as well?

Paramythis: The Apostle has made it clear that she does not desire to go to the city of Navaron. I, too, wish for Her Eminence to stay as far from the king as possible. We have made this quite clear to the Archbishop multiple times.

Orbel: But milady, the sorcerers of Raze are en route to this temple, and you could not possibly defeat them alone! Please, you must flee with us to Navaron as quickly as possible!

Paramythis: I understand this. However, there are other issues. The king would likely wish to take the Apostle as his queen, as the kings would in the days of old...

Heh. The idea of Volcens being married to the Apostle is concerning, judging by how he treats his loyal subjects and the issues brought up by Quescria regarding his troops...Paramythis concurs:

ch3_main98pfkii.png

Orbel: I cannot imagine he would cooperate with the king in consecrating such a union. Dame Paramythis, please lend us your strength and assistance. We will not abandon the Apostle.

Paramythis: ...Very well. I shall go on ahead and inform Her Eminence of the situation. What will you do?

Orbel: With my advanced age, I cannot possibly keep up with you, milady. I shall return to the Sinon Knights. Please give my best to the Apostle.

Paramythis: I will. Be careful on your way.

We'll learn more about the Shining Knights and Paramythis later on, so for now I'll get back to the mission at hand. Clifford lunges at one of the archers in range of Orbel, but fails to hit. Unfortunately, this means both archers are able to attack the priest:

ch3_main99z0jbo.png

ch3_main100fkjh1.png

Two of the three shots land, breaking Orbel's miracle charm and leaving him critically low on hp. I immediately have Izerna heal:

ch3_main1011jkp0.png

To make matters worse, the second archer hits Orbel with a poison arrow.

ch3_main102lnkfw.png

Fermat again casts swarm, with Elbert evading the magic. Ward and Elbert strike him down:

ch3_main1038ujmk.png

He drops his Darkmend orb, which I can give to Erzheimer for the 2200 denarrii he was offering. Leon and Adel dismount to reach the northwestern cliffs:

ch3_main10438jdf.png

Everyone else moves as far forward as possible. On turn 7, enemy reinforcements start emerging from the fort:

ch3_main105jbkyc.png

Orbel takes 5hp in poison damage.

ch3_main106ucjrm.png

Worse still, the archers are in range and could strike at any time. I decide to send Sylvis in to kill the poison arrow archer:

ch3_main1074akr9.png

The surviving one attacks Izerna, who is able to evade.

ch3_main10817ji9.png

Sakhalin heals Ward:

ch3_main109hyk07.png

However this leaves him vulnerable to several nearby hostiles. Elbert tries to hit an archer, but the latter dodges, so I have Ward guard Sakhalin to keep him safe for the rest of the turn.

ch3_main110a0kgu.png

Christine and Reese team up to get rid of the aforementioned archer.

ch3_main111jakb6.png

Orbel walks up to the river crossing, and Izerna heals him again:

ch3_main112lcjjx.png

Clifford fells the triple-shot archer.

ch3_main113rxk9n.png

Volo and Axel wipe out the corsair reinforcement at the lake:

ch3_main11466kcq.png

On turn 8, more enemies arrive:

ch3_main115i3kj2.png

ch3_main116pnj4n.png

This time, Orbel has lost 6hp from poison.

ch3_main117q1j5b.png

Volo takes up position on the shallows. A camouflaged archer emerges from nearby trees to attack Grimm:

ch3_main1186xjte.png

Sakhalin moves, so I have Ward re-apply guard status. Clifford distracts the archer:

ch3_main119hyjt2.png

Ward gets hit by a throwing axe while protecting Sakhalin, but it doesn't do much damage. A thief that Reese hit on the previous turn heals himself with a vulnerary, but I ignore him for now. Instead, I have Leon spear charge the archer reinforcement, although he'll take a second hit to kill. Adel finishes the job:

ch3_main12094jme.png

Christine, Reese and Elbert continue to trade blows with attackers in the southeast, although no enemies are killed. Kramer and Sylvis pick off a corsair:

ch3_main121xwj1p.png

Turn 9 now, and another corsair appears at the fort.

ch3_main122acjhf.png

Reese takes care of a brigand:

ch3_main1237oj5x.png

Orbel thankfully recovers from poison after taking his turn.

ch3_main1244mkq5.png

Clifford disposes of the archer he provoked last turn:

ch3_main125c5kdm.png

A thief charges out of his hiding spot at Orbel.

ch3_main1262mkj5.png

One deathmatch later, Volo makes him pay for his mistake.

ch3_main127fcj2h.png

As Sakhalin is getting ever closer to the building that Chaos has made his base, Ward is once again ordered to guard.

ch3_main1286qjc9.png

Since I'm at the turn 10 save point now, I'll bring this update to a close. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for part 17. :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 17: Chapter 3 - The Three Priests (part 2)

Last time, I was pondering how to deal with the Raze Pope's right-hand man, Chaos. On turn 10, a familiar face appears:

ch3_main1299tkgh.png

Chaos leaves the building to confront her.

Faye: I've finally found you... I see you've become a dog of the Empire now.

Chaos: You... What do you want?

Faye: You're a thief and a traitor...and I will make you pay for what you did to Father!

Chaos: How adorable... It seems I should have finished you both off when I had the chance. Regardless, this sword is mine. I am the only one worthy of wielding this divine blade! If you think you can take it from me, go ahead and try!

Faye: As I thought, you won't listen to reason... Have at you, then!

ch3_main129_1gij7y.png

Faye's sword blows have very little impact.

Chaos: Hmph, is that really all you can do?

Faye: trying to catch her breath My attacks aren't working? What on earth...

Chaos: Let us end this. There will be no escape for you this time.

One strike from Chaos sends her reeling.

ch3_main13054kxs.png

Faye: Father... I'm sorry...I've failed you...

Chaos: You can't beat me, girl. I'll never lose to anyone again! Die!

Faye: Chaos...

Someone arrives to interrupt their duel.

ch3_main131n3jsj.png

Faramir: I do not believe so, Master. I was only recently hired as one of your mercenaries.

Chaos: I see... I will take my leave, then. Finish this girl off for me. Make sure that she bleeds out.

Faramir: As you command, Master...

Chaos vanishes, and Faramir turns his attention to the wounded Faye.

ch3_main132r1j2n.png

Faramir: I'll have to patch up these wounds with a herbal poultice for now... One of the priests should be able to heal her later...

Well, that was convenient. That said, it is possible to kill Chaos with Dean's Vengeful skill and some healing (making sure to block Sakhalin from moving), which leads to an alternate series of events. Also, if you've deployed Faye on the mission, you get control over whether she tries to attack Chaos.

Back to the battle at hand, another corsair has left the fort:

ch3_main133xtkpw.png

I move a couple of units towards the temple to deal with Agvan, and a thief inflicts minor damage on Elbert. Rodin the hunter has appeared:

ch3_main1348mkom.png

A corsair manages to hit Izerna while she's on the crossing. Volo delivers swift and deadly retribution via deathmatch:

ch3_main136cmjx3.png

Grimm stops at the church in the northwest.

ch3_main1370sjpp.png

Two priests are already inside:

ch3_main138bqkwz.png

Young priest: ...You can't go another step, can you? Very well. We will rest at this church.

Cursed priest: I have to keep going... We have to mend the Schism the Pope has wrought on our Church...That means first freeing our brothers, but if I succumb before I can even do that...

Young priest: You need only resist for a short while longer. Once we reach Navaron, I believe that the Verian Archbishop may able to free you from the curse.

Cursed priest: It will never work... Even an archbishop wouldn't have the power to undo Pope Urbanus's magic... but perhaps the Witch of Veria...

Young priest: Wait, someone's coming... Stay here and hide for a moment!

That's quite a development. These two are Raze priests, but they're not the vicious aggressors we've seen so far. It appears that Urbanus wrestled power by force, and along with his followers, killed or drove off any opposition in the Raze Church.

Grimm enters the church and looks around:

ch3_main13958jdv.png

ch3_main140oxka4.png

Grimm: ...I suppose not. Perhaps I'll make myself some tea to ease the soreness of my journey...

A priest suddenly appears in front of him.

ch3_main1413oj4h.png

Owen: Have you forgotten me already? It is I, Owen, your old disciple! What has it been, ten years? I have been away on a mission to the people of the frontier for many years, but now I am finally returning home. I am happy to see that you are doing as well as ever, Father.

Grimm: I'm afraid I am beginning to forget names and faces in my old age... Forgive me for not remembering you. To where are you headed, Owen?

Owen: My destination is Navaron. I was considering offering my services as a healer to the League's forces.

ch3_main142xnkqk.png

Owen: I intend to use the payment I receive in order to help the needy.

Grimm: Now that is an admirable goal. You make me proud, my old disciple.

Owen: Thank you, Father. If it isn't too much trouble, could I ask you to put in a good word for me?

Grimm: Of course, my boy! Of course! Leave it to me! When the others in Navaron hear you are my former disciple, you will find your life much easier!

Owen: Ha ha ha! You are too kind, Father.

Looks like we'll have another mercenary for hire back in Navaron. Meanwhile, Christine and Elbert team up to take out a thief:

ch3_main143wpk6n.png

Sakhalin makes his move and heals Ward.

ch3_main144dzkj5.png

Another enemy launches an ambush, but without a critical hit, the thief's poor stats make for nominal damage. As my remaining units advance, additional enemies join the battle on turn 11:

ch3_main146sikg5.png

ch3_main146_13gjgb.png

Ward talks to Rodin.

ch3_main147y1j22.png

ch3_main148a9k55.png

Ward: N-Not particularly... I just happened to find you. I take it you are indeed--

Rodin: Aye, I'm Rodin. What can I do for you?

Ward: A leatherworker named Nieves asked me to find you, and--

Rodin: Yeah, yeah. Here's the antelope skin.

Ward: Ah, yes, that's precisely--

Rodin: Good timing, then. That one's still nice and fresh.

Ward: A bit too fresh, I'd say... There are still chunks of meat on it, and... is this your--

Rodin: Oh, that's my arrow. Anyway, take that skin to Nieves as soon as you can, so he can tan it properly. I've got to get back to hunting. 'Scuse me...

Ward: (What an impatient man...)

ch3_main149p2k5s.png

Well, that's 3 of 4 side objectives dealt with. No sign of Esteban yet. However, there is more trouble near the temple, as another would-be assassin swipes at Orbel:

ch3_main150dwjm6.png

Izerna patches herself up with a vulnerary. Sylvis moves into position to attack Agvan, and puts an arrow on target:

ch3_main152ijkq1.png

ch3_main153voj0i.png

Reese moves in, getting very close to killing Agvan outright.

ch3_main154aajge.png

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone else in range, and he's yet to take his turn. Leon equips some pilums, and initiates a deathmatch against the archer that arrived from the cave, finishing him off in style:

ch3_main1553fj6p.png

However, he took a hit from a poison arrow during the fight.

ch3_main156gnkzg.png

Volo deletes yet another corsair with deathmatch:

ch3_main1576kkj3.png

Sakhalin stops at the building currently occupied by a wounded Faye.

ch3_main158i9jsk.png

ch3_main15982j41.png

Sakhalin: Goodness me, what a terrible wound! Let's get you healed up...

Faye: Ah...urgh...

Sakhalin: Oh, and you're still conscious! Very good, very good...

The room comes into view, and Faye stands up.

ch3_main1604ljdk.png

Faye: It was nothing serious... Simply an accident due to my own negligence. Thank you for healing me. I am sorry for having caused you such trouble.

Sakhalin: Hmph, that was no accident... Are you unwilling to tell me the truth because I am a Verian priest?

Faye: No, that is not it...

Sakhalin: Then please, let me help you. As a priest, my duty is to heal both physically and spiritually.

Faye: Very well... I am the daughter of the guardian of a temple in Izmil. Two years ago, the temple was attacked, and the divine blades kept there were stolen from us.

That's interesting timing. Two years ago is approximately when the duke of Serenia was murdered as well.

ch3_main161fzjku.png

Faye: But now, he is crippled, and he can hardly walk any more, let alone grasp a sword. My father felt responsible for the swords' theft, and he tried to pursue the attacker...Naturally, I could not let him do such a thing in his condition.

Sakhalin: I see... and so you took up your father's duty in his stead.

Faye: Yes. It has been a half-year since I departed my homeland, and I have made ends meet as a mercenary.

Sakhalin: I understand... but how did you become injured?

Faye: Today, I finally found the one who had stolen the divine blades...but I could not win. I was not strong enough...

ch3_main1623wk23.png

Faye: However, we have little knowledge of their actual history aside from that... Using the Divine Twins as weapons has been forbidden since olden times. For centuries, no one had laid a hand on them, save for cleaning.

Sakhalin: Ah, Vritra and Vajra... I did not know they still existed!

Side note, both of those are references to Vedic religion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vritra ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajra

Faye: Do your traditions speak of them? What do they say?

Sakhalin: Our ancestors passed down that they were artifacts of great power used during the era of the ancients... Vajra, for example, was said to defend its wielder, making them impervious to nearly all harm...

Faye: It defends its wielder?

Sakhalin: So our legends say. One who wields Vajra would be nigh impossible to defeat. The sword's magic surrounds them with an enchantment that protects them from danger.

Faye: Ah... That's it! That is exactly what happened! Chaos was wielding Vajra, and I could not even make a scratch...

ch3_main163r7ktn.png

Sakhalin: Vritra was said to nullify any and all of its opponent's enchantments. If it were to clash against Vajra, their wielders would likely be able to stand on equal footing...

Faye: Then I must find Vritra... I understand. Thank you very much, Sir Priest!

At the temple, Agvan heals with a vulnerary:

ch3_main1644pklf.png

With most of the enemies cleared, I move to consolidate forces in the northeast. On turn 12, another enemy emerges from the northwestern cave.

ch3_main165o4j9t.png

Reese and Agvan successively attack each other, but the latter dodges. Reese blocks with his shield to mitigate some of the damage. Since his destination is blocked, Orbel heals Sylvis:

ch3_main167wjj5h.png

Volo continues to demonstrate how good the deathmatch skill is.

ch3_main167_10gjj4.png

Leon follows suit:

ch3_main16886k1o.png

He also recovers from poison after taking his turn. As the turn ends, a brigand arrives nearby.

ch3_main1693ikg6.png

Reese kills Agvan:

ch3_main170vdj75.png

Kramer's longsword breaks while engaging in a melee alongside Leon. Axel searches the house on the cliffs, finding an antitoxin. He also gets enough experience for a level-up:

ch3_main172i9kzd.png

At the start of turn 14, more enemies arrive, this time from the south.

ch3_main174zyjr9.png

The brigand has a crafting material on his person:

ch3_main175w8k1t.png

Kramer equips his spare longsword and finishes off the enemy he attacked last turn.

ch3_main177kzkjq.png

Orbel arrives at the temple:

ch3_main176_0njjrm.png

The Sinon Knights reposition to mop up the remaining opposition. Another corsair arrives from the fort on turn 15.

ch3_main178x8kej.png

Izerna heals Axel:

ch3_main179wcjax.png

Reese uses his broadsword to lethal effect.

ch3_main180wjjk1.png

Sakhalin arrives safely at his destination.

ch3_main181a6ju3.png

As the next turn begins, there is no shortage of opposition joining the battle:

ch3_main182u6klz.png

ch3_main183lgj1j.png

ch3_main184y3klj.png

Grimm enters the temple.

ch3_main185sekuh.png

Reese takes notice:

ch3_main186p9ksk.png

Reese: I suppose it's time I made my way there as well...

I could do that now, but I'm still waiting for Esteban to show up, and there are a couple of locations Axel needs to investigate. While assisting Reese, Elbert breaks a spear:

ch3_main189zzk04.png

Another kill for our esteemed commander.

ch3_main1903qk0n.png

ch3_main191gdj4w.png

A solid level-up too. He needs all the strength points he can get. On turn 17, several more enemies arrive:

ch3_main192aejse.png

ch3_main193qtkfe.png

There are two mounted archers in the southeast as well.

ch3_main1949ijrn.png

ch3_main195zjjeo.png

Elbert strikes first, using his spear to down a corsair:

ch3_main196myj64.png

Kramer wields his longsword to good effect at the cave.

ch3_main197k2ktm.png

The bronze+ arrows he obtained from that archer will help with training Christine and Sherlock. Leon wins another deathmatch:

ch3_main19916kvg.png

Reinforcements from three directions this time. Looks like this mopping up will take a while longer.

ch3_main2003uke7.png

ch3_main201cfkep.png

ch3_main2025tkfi.png

Elbert deletes another enemy, which gives him enough experience for a level-up.

ch3_main203sgkue.png

ch3_main204emkrh.png

Volo shanks a brigand and takes the gale shard he was holding:

ch3_main205r1jjp.png

Seeing that Leon has taken quite a few hits, I have him heal with a vulnerary. Sylvis fells one of the horse archers with her composite bow.

ch3_main20869km8.png

At the cave, Adel shuts down the brigand's attack with his vantage skill, and helps Kramer take him out.

ch3_main2091ykxc.png

The latter reaches level 4:

ch3_main2101xj4i.png

More fresh meat for the grinder. Lebough wasn't kidding when he said the forest was overrun with bandits.

ch3_main211hwkxc.png

ch3_main212cukei.png

Sylvis mows down a corsair with pinpoint aim:

ch3_main213kckq9.png

Clifford takes a shortsword from Ward so he can set up kills for my other units.

ch3_main214crk9d.png

Some clashes ensue, with moderate damage inflicted by both sides. On turn 20, a stealthy assassin arrives:

ch3_main215urjnw.png

He's wanted by the mercenary guild, so I'll be dealing with him shortly.

ch3_main216zcjvc.png

Esteban: R-Right, I don't need to feel guilty... I'm just taking a little bit out of their already deep pockets...

Time for Christine to use persuade.

ch3_main2183qjxg.png

Christine: I thought you might be... quit being an idiot, and go home to your siblings! They're all worried about you.

Esteban: Do you think that I want to do a job like this?! What good will coming home do? I'd have no money, no job...I'm just a deadbeat sponger.

Christine: Stop acting like a child! You're not the only one who's suffering right now. Things have only gotten worse since you left. Arina's trying to take matters into her own hands...

ch3_main2193uj63.png

Christine: You're the only one who can make things right, Esteban.

Esteban: No... That can't be true...

Christine: Get a hold of yourself! You're supposed to be her big brother, for goodness's sake! Now, you march yourself back to Navaron and tell Arina that you're going to care of things!

Esteban: Y-You're right. I will! I'll go back right now! Arina, I'm coming...!

As Esteban leaves, I turn my attention to the enemy reinforcements. Elbert thins out the corsairs from the fort:

ch3_main22033jwk.png

Sylvis continues to live up to the title "sniper":

ch3_main221v2jfx.png

Not much gained from the level-up though.

ch3_main222meja7.png

Reese makes the second horse archer history.

ch3_main223cjk8y.png

Kramer clears a brigand from the northwestern cave, allowing Axel to search it for loot:

ch3_main225y5jid.png

He finds a crafting material.

ch3_main226mpjzm.png

Garos moves out of the trees and into view. He has the obfuscation skill, so none of his statistics are visible.

ch3_main227uwk7y.png

On the next turn, Christine kills the foot archer that was near Esteban:

ch3_main228u8j2x.png

Elbert continues to distract the corsairs at the fort. Garos attacks Clifford, getting a critical hit.

ch3_main23049jwk.png

Now that he's next to one of my units, obfuscation has no effect:

ch3_main232hgk7h.png

ch3_main233t0kco.png

That 80% crit chance, 120 accuracy and Counter make Garos dangerous in melee. I'll have Sylvis hit him from a distance to avoid retaliation. Clifford uses a vulnerary, just in case he's hit again next turn.

Two more brigands arrive from the cave on turn 22, along with yet another corsair from the fort:

ch3_main235whktr.png

ch3_main2361gjla.png

I decide that Garos is the higher priority. Sylvis picks up a steel arrow, prepares her composite bow, and takes aim:

ch3_main237bkk22.png

Not quite enough to kill him, but getting that hit was crucial. In the northwest, Axel unfortunately misses an axe swing with pulverize, taking some damage from the counterattack. Elbert throws a pilum at the nearest corsair:

ch3_main2392qkxj.png

Garos decides to go after Ward, but the latter is tough enough to take a couple of crits. Sylvis once again shows her aim is true, and sends Garos to the afterlife:

ch3_main240h0j50.png

This gives her a whopping 100 experience, and thus another level. Some primary stat improvements, too:

ch3_main241vojku.png

Her bracketing is relatively weak, +/-3 if I recall correctly, so your mileage may vary considerably. Since there are now 3 brigands nearby, Axel uses up his vulnerary to heal. Leon deathmatches one of them:

ch3_main2439hjrv.png

Axel kills another on his counterattack:

ch3_main244apjp1.png

Turn 24 now, and it seems there are no more reinforcements. Kramer kills the last brigand by the cave.

ch3_main245k2j30.png

A corsair succumbs to death by pilum.

ch3_main246w4kfn.png

Christine strikes down another with her bow.

ch3_main2470fkxo.png

Elbert is breaking a lot of spears to get that skill up:

ch3_main24845jk1.png

Sylvis' arrow finds the last corsair.

ch3_main2490ejhs.png

Izerna levels up from healing Elbert:

ch3_main250s7k4h.png

Before I send Reese to the temple, Axel searches the fort:

ch3_main251g0ket.png

ch3_main25274ksf.png

He also finds some arrows in the house to the southeast:

ch3_main253v8jim.png

With the area cleared, Reese arrives at the temple.

ch3_main2559zknn.png

ch3_main256s2kk4.png

Paramythis: I understand your reservations. But the Archbishop and Quescria will both be there to protect you.

Apostle: Paramythis... I'm scared... of him. I'd rather be caught by bandits than be caught by him...

Paramythis: Your Eminence, why do you hate His Majesty so? He is not his father.

Apostle: I cannot put it into words well... Every time I have met him, I have sensed this terrible rage... There is something evil near that man, and it wants to devour me... I don't know what it is, but it calls to me, and I feel powerless to resist.

ch3_main2577sj3k.png

Paramythis: We will enter the city in secret. You will not have to go to the palace or meet with His Majesty.

Apostle: Paramythis... I'm sorry... I'm always causing you trouble...

Paramythis: Do not worry, Your Eminence. You bear a heavy responsibility for the entire Church of Veria. If you wish to remain hidden among the clerics for now, then who am I to stop you?

Paramythis steps out into the corridor, addressing Reese.

ch3_main258mgkkc.png

Paramythis: No, it is I who is honoured! I never once dreamed I would meet the son of General Bernstol. I owe him an unrepayable debt. I pray that Mother Veria's protection be upon you, Lord Reese.

Reese: You are too kind. I trust we can leave the rest of the matter in your capable hands?

Paramythis: Yes, I will escort her to Navaron. I am sorry the Apostle could not meet with you directly...

Reese: Archbishop Lebough informed me of her complex circumstances.

Paramythis: My apologies...

Reese: No, it's quite all right. Now then, do excuse me, milady.

Paramythis watches Reese and Ward leave.

ch3_main2592ukoq.png

Paramythis: (Lord Reese...)

Some time later, Reese reports to Lebough:

ch3_main260yck9v.png

Lebough: And now, as thanks from me, I present to you this orb.

Reese: Is this an orb of healing?

Lebough: Not quite. It is called Holy, one of the few spells we clergy have for offensive use. To be more specific, it is designed for self-defense, as its magic cannot kill a human being.

Reese: (I should give this to Sister Izerna to use later...) Is it really all right for you to give this to me?

Lebough: Of course! Take it with my blessing.

Reese: Thank you, Your Excellency.

Meanwhile, at the Kingfisher Pavilion:

ch3_main261exkym.png

Esteban: What kind of person would even think of selling herself off?

Arina: So I'm the idiot here? At least I didn't run off and join a bandit gang, Esteban! What if something had happened to you?! Can't you imagine how sad Mother and the rest of us would be? Didn't you ever think of that?!

Christine: ...That's no way to make up! Just shouting and criticising...

ch3_main262zbjbd.png

Christine: You both should just be happy that you can see each other again!

Esteban: ...

Arina: ...

Christine: Ms. Marybelle, can I speak to you outside for a moment?

ch3_main26385j19.png

Marybelle: While Esteban's looking for a job, I'll be helping the family with food. They're practically my own kids these days, anyway. Once they're back on their feet, then they can think about paying me back.

Christine: Thank you, Ms. Marybelle...but about Esteban...

Marybelle: Esteban? Sure, I'll be feeding him too.

Christine: Oh, I didn't mean that... He surprised me, back when we met... He's got an impressive bow arm. Once they both calm down, would you tell him to stop by the West House and find me?

ch3_main264sej61.png

Christine: Better than being a bandit, right? It'd still be dangerous work, but much less risky than what he was doing. I'd better get going. See you around, Ms. Marybelle.

Marybelle: Oh, one more thing before you go!

Christine: Yes, what is it?

Marybelle: I want to thank you for all you've done for Arina and Esteban. You and the rest of the Sinon Knights. From now on, I'm giving you all a lifetime thirty-percent discount on our daily specials. Please give my thanks to Lord Reese as well, when you see him next.

Christine: Thank you, Ms. Marybelle! Just being able to taste your cooking and see Arina's smile is the best encouragement we could ask for.

She returns to find Elbert waiting for her:

ch3_main265kbk6f.png

ch3_main2668jjjt.png

Elbert: It's a little early for dinner, wouldn't you say? Don't pretty girls like you usually worry about watching your figure or something?

Christine: I didn't go there to gorge myself with food! I was talking to the waitress, Arina, about her and her brother...

I like Elbert, he's quite a jovial man for someone so formidable in combat.

The scene fades out and then back in, indicating that the pair have been walking around the estate, talking at length.

ch3_main267f9k0x.png

Elbert: You worry too much. It'll all blow over soon, and then the guild will whip Esteban into shape.

Christine: I hope so... I wonder if I said the right thing, back when they were fighting... As an only child, I've never understood when siblings fight like that...

Elbert: Do you ever wish you had siblings?

Christine: When I was little, I did. I wished that I had an older brother to be the man of the house. It was just my mother and I at home, and she was always ill. Father only came home a few times a year, so we couldn't count on him to take care of us...

ch3_main268vdj6g.png

Christine: I wanted to prove to Father that being a knight didn't give him an excuse to abandon his family...

Elbert: And do you still feel that way?

Christine: After I was knighted, I started to understand why he made the choices that he did...General Ward is an outstanding knight and commander of Sinon.

Elbert: You've got to admit, that's a strange way for you to see your father...

Christine: No... he's not my father...and he never has been.

ch3_main2691ikde.png

Ouch. That's a lot of bitterness, coming from someone who cared enough to intervene in Arina's family affairs. I don't know much about Ward's family life at this point, but he did attend the funeral as this scene from the intro shows:

icnlNtK.png

Kaga and his co-writers at Tirnanog managed to make even "daddy issues" subplots seem authentic and eloquently written, adding to the characters' depth rather than becoming an irritation. The music also helps.

This update has been quite long, so I'll carry on with the remaining post-mission cutscenes next time. I'll also be covering the next mission. See you there :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
By the way, I'm concerned there are too many images per page right now (the LP currently has over 1,200 screenshots already). I'll be limiting them to 25 per post in future, so that they load faster. Updates will be split up to accommodate this.

Apologies for any difficulties caused previously.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Is there an in game reason the mercenaries havn't been drafted?

Some of them aren't from the Berwick League duchies (eg Faye), or from conquered territories (like Dean), and in Clifford's case his alcoholism probably got him dismissed. The draft may be specific to Narvia, it's not clear how each individual lord raises additional troops.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 18: Chapter 3-1 - Maiden and Mercenary (Introduction)

Resuming where I left off, let's see the outcomes of the other chapter 3 citizen requests:

ch3_1part1mwj5d.png

Ward visits Erzheimer to give him the Darkmend orb.

ch3_1part2edkua.png

Erzheimer: You have, haven't you?! Oh, I simply must see it! Come, come!

ch3_1part3xckc9.png

If you have more than one of the item requested, you can use this screen to choose between them.

ch3_1part4lqjkt.png

You get a confirmation prompt, just in case you change your mind. I hand over the orb, and Erzheimer is very pleased:

Erzheimer: Aaah...The shape...The smoothness... The perfect sheen... Even the scent...! Simply awe-inspiring! Greater than anything I'd dreamed! This will make a fine addition to my collection!

ch3_1part5bojis.png

Ward: What is it now?

Erzheimer: I have not yet repaid you! Here you are, as promised.

ch3_1part6nkj8s.png

So that takes the balance up to 12216.

Erzheimer: Sir Ward, as I mentioned to you the other day, there are still many things not yet present in my collection. However, allow me to share with you my vision for the future.

ch3_1part7uvjuq.png

Erzheimer: Show Sir Ward here the new cabinet of the collection.

Clara: Of course.

She steps forward to point at the cabinet.

Clara: Please, take a look.

ch3_1part828knt.png

ch3_1part9flk0n.png

ch3_1part10fmjgx.png

Clara: Here, my master has set aside a number of places for future objects of his collection.

Erzheimer: For now, the only one of these items that I own is this dark orb...However, should you come across an item that I am looking for, I would be ever so grateful to have it. I will, of course, gladly pay you for any items you collect for me.

ch3_1part117sj31.png

Ward: "Together"?

Erzheimer: But of course! You have my full confidence, Sir Ward.

Ward: ...I see. If I do find something for your new collection, I suppose I can stop by...

Erzheimer: Wonderful! Simply splendid! I look forward to seeing you again!

Albatross (a sword) is the hardest item to retrieve. It's only on a single swordfighter in Kramer's mission, and he has to be captured since he doesn't drop it upon death. That said, by then you will likely have weapons that boost injury chance significantly.

Over at the mercenary guild, I collect payment for disposing of Agvan:

ch3_1part12eqjap.png

As well as Garos:

ch3_1part13e5jjp.png

Let's hand over the antelope skin to Nieves.

ch3_1part14blkwz.png

Nieves: I hope that I didn't cause you much inconvenience on your mission...

Ward: No, it was no trouble at all. Even in this fresh state, this hide is truly splendid. I must say, I envy the duke for being able to afford such nice furs...

Nieves: Never in all my years have I seen an antelope hide quite as nice as this! That Rodin truly is quite the hunter to find such a fine specimen...I will go and tan this at once. Since you have gone to such lengths to get it for me, it's yours to keep.

Ward: But Nieves, do you not have to craft something with it for Duke Roswick?

Nieves: I would have, but the Duke actually changed his mind and cancelled on me! So I'll let you have it.

Ward: I suppose it worked out, then... I will accept it gladly.

Nieves: You certainly deserve it, Sir Ward. Helping out a total stranger like me... You're a paragon of knighthood.

Ward: Why, thank you, Nieves!

Since we're not making clothes in Berwick Saga, the antelope skin is used on the hilt of two weapons: Angon (a spear), and Tabarzin (an axe).

Last but not least, Tianna gives the lost mirror to Teresa:

ch3_1part15rbjd1.png

Tianna: Is this your mirror?

Teresa: Y-Yes! It is! Thank you so much! Oh, I can't wait to see Cecily...!

ch3_1part167tj10.png

Bluck: Yes, thank goodness for that. However, I must confess that I feel rather pathetic about all this...I couldn't bring myself to ask my own daughter to confide in me, despite my fears something awful had happened...What's more, she wouldn't confide in me about something so trivial!

Tianna: She is at a delicate age. Perhaps it cannot be helped.

Bluck: Perhaps... but I can't help but wonder...If my wife were still alive, would Teresa have been willing to confide in her, unlike me?

An awkward silence fills the room.

Tianna: ...

Bluck: ...

Tianna: I-I suppose I ought to be going...

ch3_1part17l9kn2.png

Tianna: Yes?

She walks back to the counter.

Bluck: Please give these to Lord Reese for me.

Tianna: These are expensive arrows! Are you certain, Mr. Bluck?

Bluck: I have to thank you all for going out of your way to help my dear Teresa. Even if it turned out to be such a minor issue, I'm still very grateful.

Tianna: You're very welcome. I will pass on your gratitude to Lord Reese.

ch3_1part18u1kw1.png

It's actually a pack of 10 sniper arrows, which improve accuracy by 50% at the cost of damage (steel arrows add 11 damage, the sniper arrow just 5). As for Bluck, I can sympathise with his dilemma, teenage girls can be quite fickle and emotional at the best of times.

ch3_1part19hakhj.png

This next side mission is mandatory, since it involves an important noble.

ch3_1part20wtkaf.png

Reese and Ward are walking back to their lodgings one evening, but they are interrupted by a request for help from a young woman.

ch3_1part21t2kq9.png

There is another scene transition as Reese and Ward explain who they are.

ch3_1part229jj81.png

Rosalie: Thank goodness... Please, I beg you! My Princess is in danger!

Reese: This is all quite sudden... Please explain it to us in detail.

Rosalie is clearly panicking and stumbles on her words.

Rosalie: Y-Yes...of course...I'm her handmaiden, Rosalie... The Princess...Miss Aegina...

Ward: You're not making sense, young lady. Take a moment to catch your breath, and explain it to us slowly.

Rosalie: Right... Excuse me... Do you know the Kingdom of Riana?

ch3_1part23fgjch.png

Reese: I hear that the country is skilled in magecraft, but that the royal family was killed fighting the Empire.

Rosalie: We've kept fighting, but we don't have any leadership anymore...a half-year ago, the capital was taken by the enemy, and many of the royal family were killed, including the king.

Ward: That is saddening news... My liege Margrave Bernstol was old friends with King Marius. My heart goes out to the suffering people of Riana.

Reese: I feel the same. We've lost a valuable ally. However, Miss Rosalie, you say that the Princess of Riana yet lives?

Rosalie: Yes, sir! We were ordered to flee south. To Veria, I mean... We've been running for months, with the Imperials right on our tail...but the princess... She was captured!

Reese: Did her captors know she was the Princess of Riana?

Rosalie: I'm not sure... I think they were just guards, so I doubt they've figured it out yet...

ch3_1part24v7kw5.png

:lol:

Rosalie: That isn't true! Sherpa said he would rescue her, and he said to go to Navaron and ask the knights for help!

Ward: You've lost me again. Who is Sherpa?

Rosalie: Oh, Sherpa's a mercenary who we hired back in Rosenberg. Strong and dependable!

Ward: Allow me to get this straight...You and Princess Aegina, a surviving member of the House of Riana, have been on the run from the Empire. During your travels, you stopped in the city of Rosenberg and hired a mercenary named Sherpa. However, despite your caution, you were found nonetheless. This Sherpa fellow told you to come here to Navaron and seek help, while he dealt with the situation. And now, you have come as ordered, and you are asking us to rescue them. Do I have that right?

Reese: I believe that sums up what she's said nicely, yes. Leave everything to us, Miss. As the daughter of my father's ally and friend, she is my friend as well. We will go to her aid. Ward, give the order. We will set out immediately.

Ward: Yes, Lord Reese.

ch3_1part259pk86.png

I'll take a quick look at the mission details before preparing:

ch3_1part26mej5a.png

Only 6 units allowed this time. I'll drop off some crafting items at the atelier to tidy up inventories, including the treasure Axel picked up (which adds another 5500 denarrii to available funds).

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 19: Chapter 3-1 - Maiden and Mercenary (part 1)

A quick note on inventory management:

ch3_1part27fzjxf.png

You can stack up to 60 arrows of each type in a single inventory slot, which is helpful given how many types I already have here on Sherlock. You can buy additional bags for 4000 denarrii at a few in-mission shops during the course of the game.

Next to the character names, you may have noticed a few different symbols. Here's an explanation of them:

ch3_1part27_2m7kk5.png

There are two new mercenaries available for hire, so time for a quick overview.

ch3_1part28zzjq2.png

Derrick is the guy we allowed to leave the Imperial supply base, back in Chapter 2-2. He doesn't appear in the guild until after the main mission of a chapter, so his price is always half of the base amount.

ch3_1part294lkq8.png

Yeah, that's his character gimmick. He says nothing except his fee. :)

ch3_1part30f0k3z.png

Derrick's main problem is one that all armour knights share, a lack of mobility. They have a base movement of 3, the most severe terrain penalties, and can't cross certain terrain like shallows altogether (which means that in several missions, he can't reach objectives). It's hard to justify a deployment slot for him when so many other mercenaries are more flexible. A base defence of 12 is very good, but it never improves, and his other primary stats increase at an average rate.

ch3_1part313pj6k.png

Mercy will prevent the selected unit from killing an enemy upon attack (any overkill damage is ignored and they stay at 1hp), which facilitates capturing them instead. It's best used when the enemy is already injured, but above 30% of their total health. Axe Guard adds the attack value of the axe to his defence, but prevents him from counterattacking, so you may as well let him block with his shield and counter.

Derrick's recruitment is tied to another character we haven't met yet, at which point you can actually sell his equipment for a profit (since you only need to hire him 6 times at 150 to meet the happiness requirement of 3).

ch3_1part33z4jde.png

As Christine hinted earlier, Esteban has changed careers to mercenary work.

ch3_1part34ncjqs.png

He's an archer that can also use knives, although his skill in the latter increases painfully slowly. However, he can get good improvement in strength, speed and hitpoints.

ch3_1part35guj6a.png

Esteban's skills largely revolve around sniping from cover, and Scotopic can be a boon in fog-of-war maps. Unfortunately, it isn't until level 15 (i.e. promotion) that he learns Aim, which Christine and Sylvis start with. He also learns Pursuit at level 20, meaning that to get the most out of him, he needs heavy investment for several chapters. Personally I prefer to deploy him only for story reasons, as he has a subplot that's somewhat endearing.

To permanently recruit Esteban, he needs to be at 5 happiness by chapter 9. He also needs to participate in the chapter 6 main mission without being captured - there is a cutscene beforehand that strongly hints you should deploy him.

As you've no doubt realised, there is a lot of roster juggling you need to do with mercenaries to recruit them permanently, while still having an optimal team for the mission at hand. Recruiting at least some of them is strongly advised, as your fixed income drops in later chapters, while mercenary costs always increase with experience\levels. The side missions attached to Faye, Sylvis, Kramer and Ruby have some unique items as well.

For this mission, I hire Dean (470) and Ruby (280). The squad I'll be using:

ch3_1part36mlj0f.png

ch3_1part37a3k30.png

ch3_1part38prjpy.png

ch3_1part39wokur.png

ch3_1part40mskaa.png

ch3_1part41gbk4s.png

Since the mission takes place at night, it's another fog-of-war map:

ch3_1part42nxjzq.png

ch3_1part43spkt7.png

The Sinon Knights will arrive as reinforcements; the player only controls Sherpa and Aegina to begin with.

ch3_1part44s5jp2.png

Guts Sherpa is quite impressive. He has the highest initial sword skill of any unit, and strong base stats. Dragonslayer Brymranger is very powerful, at the cost of Sherpa's evasion.

ch3_1part45grkay.png

Counter means that Sherpa is still deadly during enemies' turns, and it combines well with Guard. Robust boosts the utility of these even further. Windsweep can only be used without moving.

ch3_1part46lxj8x.png

Aegina is a wind mage (who can also use fire magic to some extent), but I'll discuss her abilities later.

ch3_1part471pkdj.png

Aegina: We cannot simply leave! Those mongrels stole the sacred orb of Pallas Riana from me! It is imperative that we retrieve it before we escape.

Sherpa: We don't have time for that. We need to focus on getting away. If we're too busy looking for a dusty old orb, we might lose this chance.

ch3_1part4810j0q.png

Aegina: Besides, I will be needing that orb if I am to defend myself properly.

Sherpa: Don't lie to yourself, Princess. You couldn't put up a decent fight against a single one of these guys.

Aegina: Hmph!

Sherpa: I understand your hate for the Empire, but you'll just get killed out there. If you want to avenge your father, you'll have to get your hands dirty and learn how to fight properly.

ch3_1part498sjgc.png

Aegina: I know you speak truly... but knowing that does not make this situation any less frustrating! ...All right, let us be off. As you said, we must make our escape.

A short distance to the southeast, Rosalie is waiting:

ch3_1part50o8jen.png

Rosalie: (Hold on just a little longer...The knights are on their way!)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 20: Chapter 3-1 - Maiden and Mercenary (part 2)

ch3_1part51kvjuv.png

ch3_1part52dfkke.png

There are enemy patrols roving around, and visibility is limited, so I'll avoid heroics. Aegina moves first, and Sherpa uses Guard on her.

ch3_1part53qmkfp.png

ch3_1part54mgjj7.png

Sherpa: And keep your voice down, too. Don't want them to hear us.

On turn 2, a pair of Imperial spearmen arrive immediately behind our duo.

ch3_1part55hskey.png

Aegina could easily be killed here with her low hitpoints, so I need to keep her out of range. She flees onto the path nearby, while the spearmen attack Sherpa. They pay for their error:

ch3_1part56d2kc7.png

ch3_1part57vwkqh.png

ch3_1part58x4k6f.png

An enemy is heard leaving the fort via a different gate. I move Sherpa as close to Aegina as possible, but the terrain penalties leave him 1 hex away.

ch3_1part59bxku2.png

Aegina takes point, and more enemies are heard in pursuit. Sherpa stays close.

ch3_1part602ako2.png

On turn 4, a spearman has caught up.

ch3_1part61uskx7.png

Sherpa continues to guard. On turn 5, Aegina meets with Rosalie:

ch3_1part62jkknj.png

Aegina: Rosalie! You made it safely to Navaron?

Rosalie: Yes, Your Highness! I happened across Lord Reese of Sinon, who has come to your aid!

Aegina: L-Lord Reese is here?!

Rosalie: Yes, milady... Is something the matter?

Aegina: Ah, no... Nothing at all...

Apparently, Aegina's being coy because she had previously been engaged to Reese (courtesy of their fathers).

Aegina: Rosalie, my father's Pallas Riana was taken from me...Please ask the Knights of Sinon if they could help me retrieve it from the fortress where I was held.

Rosalie: I will do so, milady! They are very kind people, so I am certain they will help you!

Our new objective is to seize the fort:

ch3_1part62_2oujxi.png

As the Sinon Knights arrive, Sherpa dispatches another enemy:

ch3_1part63hbko0.png

More Imperial troops are heard moving in the darkness. On the following turn, Izerna takes her move first to heal Sherpa.

ch3_1part64w4jtr.png

No enemies are spotted yet, as everyone advances:

ch3_1part65owk0a.png

On turn 7, Dean stumbles into a spearman. Elbert and Ruby team up to take him down with spear charges:

ch3_1part664ukmi.png

Czene, using trees for cover, spots two more soldiers.

ch3_1part67a5kjj.png

Another enemy is heard opening and closing a gate. On the next turn, Elbert charges the closest spearman but doesn't do enough damage to take him out. The latter gets a hit on Ruby:

ch3_1part69wukb9.png

The second spearman has revealed Czene's location to his friends:

ch3_1part7077j9r.png

Thanks to a critical hit with Carnwenhau, she kills the spearman that Elbert previously attacked.

ch3_1part715xjno.png

Sherlock uses his double shot skill, with both arrows striking their intended target:

ch3_1part72ysjh4.png

Dean finishes him off.

ch3_1part731rjk0.png

Ruby retreats for healing.

ch3_1part74t6kn9.png

On the following turn, Dean moves in to attack another spearman, spotting more enemies in the process.

ch3_1part754jkrk.png

The second hit from desperation results in another kill.

ch3_1part76cyk6x.png

Aegina is hit by the enemy crossbowman.

ch3_1part77kbkop.png

Luckily, the second spearman in range chooses to throw his pilum at Dean instead:

ch3_1part78jmjit.png

Sherlock softens up the crossbowman. Using the focus chant skill to boost attack and accuracy, Aegina retaliates with her airblade spell.

ch3_1part79iukxu.png

Ruby also joins in, but fails to hit. Sherpa picks up the bag in the southwest:

ch3_1part80gmkgb.png

I hastily reposition the rest of the squad to cover Aegina, and Izerna heals:

ch3_1part81k2jgf.png

That's all for now, I'll be back later this week to conclude the mission and talk about a couple of new mercenaries. :)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 21: Chapter 3-1 - Maiden and Mercenary (part 3)

Dean puts down the crossbowman:

ch3_1part827tjfo.png

After being hit with a pilum, he's very low on health.

ch3_1part83vlk0v.png

An Imperial soldier emerges from the darkness, while Elbert engages the spearman that attacked Dean.

ch3_1part8439kty.png

Three spearmen are now in range, as Izerna moves forward to patch up Dean.

ch3_1part85l3joh.png

Sherlock's arrow meets the closest spearman with lethal consequences:

ch3_1part86ixknr.png

Ruby braces her slim spear and rides at the next enemy, but he blocks with his shield, deflecting some of the force.

ch3_1part87vlklm.png

Next turn, Elbert taunts one of the Imperials:

ch3_1part88skk4n.png

He successfully evades the resulting attack, with his counter doing some damage. The adjacent spearman uses his shield to reduce damage from Ruby and Sherlock's strikes:

ch3_1part89sujjd.png

Sherlock makes use of the "one-two" skill to get another attack and finish him off.

ch3_1part90khjzw.png

As another turn has passed, Izerna finishes healing Dean, while Ruby and the remaining spearman trade blows.

ch3_1part91fvjog.png

Czene locates an Imperial patrol to the northeast. Elbert gallops towards them with his spear at full speed:

ch3_1part92b9j3p.png

Dean notches up another kill.

ch3_1part93gdkah.png

The level-up gets him an extra point of strength, very nice.

ch3_1part941ekc3.png

Elbert and the second enemy duel for a turn, but Dean connects the lethal hit:

ch3_1part95vtjt2.png

His axe breaks, but the mission is almost over anyway. Sherpa effortlessly smashes the southern gate open.

ch3_1part96ttkoh.png

The enemy commander is displeased:

ch3_1part97rykvx.png

A bowman moves into the chokepoint, blocking my units from entering.

ch3_1part98y7jqq.png

With some help from Elbert and Sherlock, Ruby disposes of him.

ch3_1part9906je1.png

Enough turns have passed for Sherlock to use his multi-shot abilities, which allow him to kill a spearman:

ch3_1part100ltkzk.png

Now he can use the longbow without penalties.

ch3_1part1014tjjp.png

Lennox is somewhat tougher than the other opposition we've faced here.

ch3_1part102qkjyx.png

Elbert attacks him:

ch3_1part103fvk0x.png

I decide to let Ruby get some shield practice in.

ch3_1part104rlk9a.png

Izerna gains a level from healing her:

ch3_1part105wrjcb.png

Expert will let her efficiently use higher rank orbs than would normally be possible. After Ruby consumes a couple vulneraries and gains a few more points in shield skill, I have my units eliminate Lennox.

ch3_1part106aekw5.png

Mission complete.

ch3_1part107z9kpw.png

Endemic

Arcane
Update 22: Chapter 3-1 - Maiden and Mercenary (ending)

Sherpa finds the Pallas Riana orb:

ch3_1part108jjknb.png

Sherpa: It wasn't easy, but I'm glad we were able to get it back for you.

Aegina: Sherpa... Thank you so much for helping me through all of this.

Sherpa: How uncharacteristically nice of you to say, Princess. It was no problem. But it looks like my job's done. Guess we can part ways here.

Aegina: Where will you go from here, Sherpa?

Sherpa: Haven't decided for sure yet, but I was thinking of finding work in Navaron, since we're in the area. If you ever miss my pretty face, come stop by the guild, and I'll take you out on the town for a wild time.

ch3_1part109lykch.png

Rosalie: Milady, I believe Sherpa was simply making a joke... Sherpa, thank you for protecting the two of us so diligently.

ch3_1part1108qkzd.png

Sherpa: Ha ha ha... Always the lively one, eh missy?

A different version of the scene plays if Sherpa died during the mission. Rosalie finds Pallas Riana, and Aegina gives an eulogy.

The group returns to Navaron:

ch3_1part111vlkt0.png

ch3_1part112p7k0s.png

Reese: I am terribly sorry to hear the news regarding your parents' passing.

Aegina: ...Lord Reese, has your father said anything to you regarding me?

Reese: I know that your father and mine were close friends. However, I know very little in particular aside from that...

Aegina: O-Oh... I see...

ch3_1part113mjkwg.png

Aegina: Yes. I am quite experienced in magic. Although I do not know much of an asset I will be to your soldiers... Still, I wish to fight. I must avenge my father's death!

Reese: I understand completely, but you must consider your position as the sole survivor of Riana's royal family. Furthermore, I do not know if His Majesty will condone your wishes. As the leader of the Berwick League, King Volcens would have the final say in these matters.

Aegina: I beseech you not to inform your king of my presence. King Volcens is a cold-hearted fiend who abandoned my father and Riana. I have nothing but resentment for him.

A common theme...Volcens really isn't up to leading an alliance in this situation.

ch3_1part1147aj17.png

Rosalie: Lord Reese, we have traveled far and with great difficulty, and Her Highness is not in the greatest of moods. The Princess does not truly wish any ill will upon his His Royal Highness...

Reese: Do not worry, Rosalie. There's no need to explain yourselves further about the matter. If you wish to remain anonymous, it may be best to pose as another of my soldiers for the time being.

Rosalie: Thank you, Lord Reese.

Reese: I applaud your devotion, Rosalie. Princess Aegina is fortunate to have such a dependable servant as you.

Rosalie is taken aback by Reese's compliment.

Rosalie: Oh, Lord Reese, you flatterer! You're embarrassing me! I'm just a clumsy maid... I mostly just carry Her Highness's luggage for her.

ch3_1part115zrjte.png

Tianna: I will see that it is done, milord.

Aegina: I take it, then, that you will accept me into your army? If you will not, then I will simply have to march myself down to the guild and become a mercenary!

Reese: A mercenary?! Heavens above...

Tianna: Lord Reese, please do not cast aside her wishes... You will accept her, won't you?

Reese: ...Yes, albeit begrudgingly. You may fight alongside us.

Aegina: Thank you for your hospitality, Lord Reese. And the same to you, Miss Tianna.

Tianna: Please do not press yourself too hard, Your Highness. When on the battlefield, please obey Lord Reese's instructions.

ch3_1part116w1jxj.png

Aegina: I have the feeling that you and I will get along very well, Miss Tianna.

Tianna: I hope so, Your Highness. If you need anything from me, do not hesitate to ask. The same goes for you, Miss Rosalie.

Rosalie: Thank you, Lady Tianna. Your Highness, since I will be unable to help you on the battlefield, I would like to assist Lady Tianna for now.

Aegina: What an excellent idea! Miss Tianna, I leave Rosalie to you.

Tianna: Be careful, I can be strict! Are you ready for that, Miss Rosalie?

Rosalie: Yes, Ma'am! I will take on any trial set for me! To able to learn from a beautiful woman like you is a dream come true for me!

Tianna: Hee hee... (Such a funny girl, just like General Ward said she was...)

ch3_1part117l8jo7.png

Tianna: Is that all right with you, Lord Reese?

Reese: Naturally. Things have not been easy for us ever since we came to Navaron. It's thanks to you, Tianna, that we've been able to rest our tired spirits.

Tianna: Lord Reese...

Tianna trails off abruptly, and the scene ends. Aegina has now joined the Sinon Knights:

ch3_1part118bokuq.png

Wind magic is usually multi-hit, so her low magic stat isn't necessarily as bad as it looks in practice. However, enemies with a resistance stat will dramatically reduce the damage dealt, vs a more powerful one-hit spell. Unfortunately, Aegina's skill growth is below average, so it can take some time for her accuracy to improve. I get the impression that Tirnanog overnerfed mages from the demigods that they were in Tear Ring Saga.

That said, Aegina has light infantry movement unlike Izerna, so rough terrain is less of an issue. She's useful for dealing with armoured enemies and some wyverns (although we won't be seeing the latter for some time yet). Her hitrate can occasionally be remedied by Focus Chant to deal with high value targets.

ch3_1part119h2k7g.png

She also has miracle, although you shouldn't be letting her get attacked in the first place. Pallas Riana is unique 1-2 range wind magic, and Aegina's personal orb.

ch3_1part120h8j6y.png

Each cast will consume 4 MP, regardless of whether all of the strikes actually hit, so you get the equivalent of 2 casts back at the start of each chapter.

Over at the mercenary guild, Sherpa is now available for hire.

ch3_1part1216hjs2.png

He costs 1100 if hired for side missions, and thus 2200 for main missions. Recruiting him permanently is fairly easy, he only has a happiness requirement of 1. He'll be force deployed for chapter 8's main mission if this is met, after which he joins the Sinon Knights. Having a personal weapon that can hit 3 times, combined with light infantry movement and Counter, makes him a good choice for clearing out large numbers of generics or softening up tougher enemies.

ch3_1part122f1jyq.png

Faramir, aside from being a LotR reference, only appears at the guild if you've already hired Faye (leave and re-enter the building first). As you've probably surmised, he is a mentor of sorts to her. This also means that he'll automatically rescue Faye if she gets reduced to 0hp in a mission (killing him off prevents this, of course). His recruitment is tied to hers, and he requires 3 happiness as well.

ch3_1part123stj7z.png

850 (or 1700 for main missions) is moderately expensive, but Faramir has some unique attributes to bring to the table:

ch3_1part124lkjkg.png

His base stats learn more towards speed than Sherpa, but he can use bows as well as swords, at the cost of not being able to equip accessories. He cannot automatically switch weapon types to counterattack at different ranges, since he lacks the "prepared" skill.

ch3_1part125htkt5.png

As the name implies, the Cutlass+ is an improved version of Faye's weapon, with 50% higher attack for only 33% more weight.

ch3_1part126lckpz.png

Fortune is excellent for confronting assassins that often have 80% or higher crit chance. Parry and Iaido will trigger reasonably often for Faramir because of his higher sword skill. Celerity makes him the most mobile infantry unit in the game. Since terrain penalties round down movement, it won't help him in deserts or similarly tough ground.

ch3_1part127irku1.png

The HP potion retrieved in the last mission is just a straight improvement to total hitpoints. You can give it to anyone you prefer; I would recommend it on mages, or perhaps Reese if his HP growth has been low (his bracketing is quite wide).

Join me next time for battle preparations and chapter 3-2 :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom