Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wonder of the free Steam versions comes with all the expansions but seems to be the case.
The game is 100% free, no bullshit. You only spend money on cosmetics if you wish, and maybe extra stash tabs if you want to hoard items and end-game stuff, but that's all optional.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wonder of the free Steam versions comes with all the expansions but seems to be the case.
The game is 100% free, no bullshit. You only spend money on cosmetics if you wish, and maybe extra stash tabs if you want to hoard items and end-game stuff, but that's all optional.
Currency and one premium tabs are only half options. Half because if you play without currency tab for a while and then start using it you will think why did I ever play without one.
Also one premium tab basically unlocks selling part of trading for new players. (I know there are ways around it but new players don't and those way around are much less convenient than having one premium tab)

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah currency tab is really damn nice. The map tab is useful as well, as it organises them really cleanly.

Shadenuat

Arcane
100% free until to progress you have to repeatedly engage into stash and inventory sex. gotta re-arrange your shards of cards of shards of parts of shards to make more shards of.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
felipepepe wont stop going on about this on Twitter, guess I'll give it a try.

Do NOT install the Steam client unless you enjoy painful patching and occasional odd login errors that come out of nowhere.
The standalone client has none of that.
But you don't get the "Time played" counter! How are you supposed to contemplate your wasted life without it?

T. Reich

Arcane
felipepepe wont stop going on about this on Twitter, guess I'll give it a try.

Do NOT install the Steam client unless you enjoy painful patching and occasional odd login errors that come out of nowhere.
The standalone client has none of that.
But you don't get the "Time played" counter! How are you supposed to contemplate your wasted life without it?

I can log on to Standard and open my stash.:dealwithit:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
100% free until to progress you have to repeatedly engage into stash and inventory sex. gotta re-arrange your shards of cards of shards of parts of shards to make more shards of.
lies, you dont need most of the crap, nor chaos recipes
They should put equipment slots behind a paywall too. You don't need any of them. The client loads perfectly well if you walk around on the beach and punch zombies for 3000 hours.

Like half the game content is locked behind 300 types of unstackable loot though. The newest league includes even more! Who could have guessed?

Absinthe

Arcane
Comeone mate, split arrow + pierce and you clear out whole groups early in game in no time. Nothing like this can happen for melee right now.
Lightning Arrow with LMP and Blasphemy + Projectile Weakness + Increased Area of Effect (or Leadership notable) works much better. Melee equivalent would be Sunder with Increased Area of Effect, I think. There are a bunch of aoe size boosting passives too.

If you stack up melee splash and call you will have groups ground and pound but shit damage.
There's dual-wield cleave if you want a high damage+aoe skill and fortify (threshold jewel) without using support gems or ascendancies. Aside from that, if you just want melee damage, Flicker Strike builds can do some massive dps with Red Trail, Bloodgrip, Golden Rule, high max frenzy charges, and some leech; the attack speed on Flicker Strike is just ridiculous (and the +9% flicker strike damage per frenzy charge enchant doesn't hurt either). And some melee builds just get massive damage scaling like Lead Sprinkler, Hand of Action and Wisdom, or Facebreaker.

Ranged weapons in PoE are just slightly worse than Spells which is still a lot because Spells are just overpowered.
I wouldn't sell ranged weapons short there if I were you. It's easier to pile massive amounts of damage on attacks than spells and there are a number of skills that can inflict a high multiplier of damage, plus weapons tend to have higher base speed and base crit chance than anything you'll find on spells (Ice Spear has a massive crit chance though, but it compensates for that with crappy damage effectiveness). Wands in particular are extremely good at having both high attack speed and high crit chance.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Like half the game content is locked behind 300 types of unstackable loot though. The newest league includes even more! Who could have guessed?
The game has tons of content though. The 10 acts alone are more than enough for a "demo". They could put everything past that behind a paywall and it would still be fair.

Also, to keep in mind, the game has no real competition atm.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
True. The story mode would take more than 20 hours (at the very least) for a new player to complete. Much more than that, if their skill with hack'n'slash games is low.

I mean, my average map time is still around 15 hours, because I fuck around with the new league content while leveling.
A "good" player (as in hardcore PoE player) still takes on averege 10 hours to just run through the whole thing.
Even the speed-runners have to put in 5 hours.

During all that time, having 4 stash tabs is very generous.
Plus, it teaches a new player looting discipline, which is key in the game as heavy with the trash loot as PoE is.
I still haven't learned my lesson :P.

Damned Registrations

My problem isn't necessarily the cost, the tabs are cheap enough and the game large enough that it's a good deal. My problem is that they're purposely making the game shittier to sell the tabs. If they didn't sell the tabs all the currency wouldn't even take up inventory space, there wouldn't be shittons of filler garbage like 90% of the div cards or half the new currencies that add shit stats instead of the 2-3 useful varieties. Maps wouldn't be a tedious inventory management game. Decent skills wouldn't be locked behind either more tedious inventory management or tedious online trading.

It's like seeing an otherwise good movie with a terrible joke sidekick and a bunch of product placement.

Perkel

Arcane
Well the point is that a) you don't need to gather most of the things b) PoE explicitly allows multiboxing so trading with your infinite other accounts is possible thus infinite space effectivly.

PoE is pretty much still only game that allows you for infinite space in ARPG space. D3 has lol amount of space while Grim Dawn has like 6 pages.

I don't think they target specifically people over to make them buy stash tabs. Good evidence of that is fragments tab. When essence came out there was full stash tab only for that but when it comes to fragments they frequently update it with new content storage.
Fossils are kind of pain but getting those fossils is pretty fucking easy once you know where to look and you don't need to store that much.

Especially with release of unique stash tab doesn't make much sense business wise. Because someone calculted and it has like full 20-30 tabs of space in it for nearly 900 uniques.

When it comes to monetization there is 1 problem though. They retarded policy on cosmetics.
I wish to support them a bit over the years with such cosmetics but those prices are insane.
If they would have something for 3-4$ i would buy monthly piece but evertime you are looking like 20$ 60$.
So in my case only stash tabs because only they make sense. Supporter packs are also reasonably priced but alas i don't like to spend in huge chunks.

T. Reich

Arcane
Fossils are kind of pain but getting those fossils is pretty fucking easy once you know where to look and you don't need to store that much.

One of the recently confirmed things "coming soon" is fossils made stackable + a tab for them. The former change alone would make fossils easily manageable.
Also, a personal opinion - I tend to use (or sell) fossils as I find them, so they barely take up stash space anyway. Inventory space with those only becomes an issue if you're hoarding them (just because you're a hoarder or because you're stocking up for a major crafting session).

abija

Prophet
My problem is that they're purposely making the game shittier to sell the tabs. If they didn't sell the tabs all the currency wouldn't even take up inventory space, there wouldn't be shittons of filler garbage like 90% of the div cards or half the new currencies that add shit stats instead of the 2-3 useful varieties. Maps wouldn't be a tedious inventory management game. Decent skills wouldn't be locked behind either more tedious inventory management or tedious online trading.
I wouldn't bet selling tabs is the reason behind those design choices. They have at least a bunch of designers and coders that over complicate things for no reason. Plus they implemented a huge amount of stuff in the game, so they might have ended up in some weird place technically.

Damned Registrations

Well the point is that a) you don't need to gather most of the things
This really isn't a valid argument. Yeah, I can just ignore prophecies, div cards, uniques, recipes, essences, maps, fossils, gems, sextants, jewels, shards, fragments and a dozen other mechanics in the game. But that makes the game much much shittier. The game is way better with lots of stash space and would be even better still if you didn't need the space in the first place because it just dealt with essences in a sane way instead of adding literally dozens of things you need to sort through by clicking and sorting. If I don't need to pick up a div card that drops a random low level magic weapon, why the fuck is it in the game? It's not like the game didn't have enough clutter already.

People who say you 'don't need stash tabs' should be forced to play without a loot filter, which you also don't 'need'.

Gerrard

Arcane

One of the recently confirmed things "coming soon" is fossils made stackable + a tab for them. The former change alone would make fossils easily manageable.
Also, a personal opinion - I tend to use (or sell) fossils as I find them, so they barely take up stash space anyway. Inventory space with those only becomes an issue if you're hoarding them (just because you're a hoarder or because you're stocking up for a major crafting session).
It's been "coming soon" since Delve.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well the point is that a) you don't need to gather most of the things
This really isn't a valid argument. Yeah, I can just ignore prophecies, div cards, uniques, recipes, essences, maps, fossils, gems, sextants, jewels, shards, fragments and a dozen other mechanics in the game. But that makes the game much much shittier. The game is way better with lots of stash space and would be even better still if you didn't need the space in the first place because it just dealt with essences in a sane way instead of adding literally dozens of things you need to sort through by clicking and sorting. If I don't need to pick up a div card that drops a random low level magic weapon, why the fuck is it in the game? It's not like the game didn't have enough clutter already.

People who say you 'don't need stash tabs' should be forced to play without a loot filter, which you also don't 'need'.
Div cards really don't take that much space if you cash the common in and sell the rare ones. Doubt they've ever consumed more than 20 slots for me during a league. That's not a very large percentage of the total free space.

And yeah, get a loot filter so you don't pick up the shitty ones. Admittedly some of them are very strange inclusions but eh, you're already leaving 99% of the loot on the floor so what does it matter?

Gerrard

Arcane
Nope. They've been dodging that issue up until very recently. No promises have been made before whatsoever.
Fossils were listed as "stackable currency" in the item filter information before the league started.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexil..._technology_is_here_fossil_stash_image_found/
The reason that Fossils don't stack is because it will require quite a bit of additional functionality like internal "unstack to socket" functions. We weren't sure if this was going to be worth the effort, but feedback suggests it will be, so we'll try to get them stackable. This will also let similar things in the future stack.
>8 months ago

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom