Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How can it be that loot system is in good place if players use loot filters to ignore 99% of it?
The loot system partially exists to enable animate weapon/guardian builds. Although this would not stop GGG from making the game drop less crap rares...

Perkel

Arcane
Imho they should redo essences. There should be one type each and locked behind ilvl instead. Or scrap them completely now that there is fossilcrafting. The whole mechanic either way is boring and never amounted to something interesting.

Generally speaking i think they should make most of encounters much more rare but at the same time imrove like 10 times more rewards and difficulty. For Essence for example it could only spawn on maps and only on bosses along with its crew. If boss doesn't have crew it would be automatically added like. So you unfreeze whole pack, it is on boss which means it will be harder but you will get multiple essences ber encounters like 6-12 and extra boss loot due to essence possesion rarity and quantity boost. But as i said it should be rare thing like 40-50 maps between each other.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Imho they should redo essences. There should be one type each and locked behind ilvl instead. Or scrap them completely now that there is fossilcrafting. The whole mechanic either way is boring and never amounted to something interesting.

Generally speaking i think they should make most of encounters much more rare but at the same time imrove like 10 times more rewards and difficulty. For Essence for example it could only spawn on maps and only on bosses along with its crew. If boss doesn't have crew it would be automatically added like. So you unfreeze whole pack, it is on boss which means it will be harder but you will get multiple essences ber encounters like 6-12 and extra boss loot due to essence possesion rarity and quantity boost. But as i said it should be rare thing like 40-50 maps between each other.
Yes yes, freeze more bosses in place, give my trapper more time to pre-trap everything and one shot them. And give me 10 times more rewards!

I approve of this man's idea!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd settle for the all the essences just being triple or quadruple and corrupted, those made for some decent fights. It's definitely retarded having a clickable that results in a drawn out animation, trivial fight, and rewards on par with a treasure chest.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'd settle for the all the essences just being triple or quadruple and corrupted, those made for some decent fights. It's definitely retarded having a clickable that results in a drawn out animation, trivial fight, and rewards on par with a treasure chest.
Iiirc in essence league you'd almost never get fewer essences than your current ng count, so level 35+ you'd almost always see two essences, and towards the later half of cruel you'd start seeing three. Don't think I've seen any triple essence since, only the occasional double, which is laughable in maps. Essence crafting isn't even impactful in maps unless you get the really high tier ones...

Perkel

Arcane
Yup, there are some mechanics that clearly are useless in current zeitgeist.
Imho it is far better if you get something more rare but way more reward than common and trash.

Especially since most of those mechanics were balanced per area. So like in case of breach you got breach per area where now you get one per few maps. Which means getting breachstone was waaaaay easier than now.

They did some rework of beyond and now members drop few veiled items per encounter but getting 100% now is like a month of work if not more.

Damned Registrations

It's obviously to promote trading. You're not meant to get useful essences or breachstones or whatever on your own, but to trade for them if you get a super rare item or amass a ton of currency by trading (with your 300 stash tabs) all day. On top of that, drop rates in general aren't tuned for people playing normally, but for people running in groups speed clearing maps with total bullshit builds.

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm pretty sure PoE makes the bulk of their money selling stash tabs, supporter packs, beta access, and the right to a design a single unique item for $1K. IIRC you need a premium stash tab in order to get your stuff listed on PoE's trading system (but not poe.trade). The game is fully playable without spending money but in a loot-whoring game like PoE having more stash tabs to store loot makes a serious difference unless you want to mule items across alts and multibox to trade items across accounts, because it improves your ability to trade items for currency (irrelevant if you're playing SSF) and your ability to do vendor recipes.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

The sad thing about it is that the stash tabs aren't really a sustainable income for them anyways, at some point you have as much as you're willing to manage and you don't need to spend any more on them, while the game continues to crank out content. So in the long run they need to make their money off hats anyways and could have gotten away with a decent inventory system instead.

I wonder though, if the stash tabs are like a microtransaction gateway drug effect- get people to spend a tiny bit on a stash tab to feel good about using the store so they buy hats later? I'm sure they have a ton of data on which sorts of people buy what things in what order.

Gerrard

Arcane
You can't buy unique items anymore, it was too much work. There are still uniques being added by people who bought it years ago.

Damned Registrations

Kind of a shame, I suspect people who paid 10k to add an item put more thought into it than the devs tend to. Trash uniques in these sorts of games boggle my mind. Why go to all the trouble of statting out a specific item drop like that just to have nobody even pick it up?

Hyperion

Arcane
Heh. Meanwhile the guy who designed Bringer of Rain quit because it got nerfed into the ground.

Absinthe

Arcane
They took it off the store but for a while they said you could still e-mail them to try to work out a deal if you really want to. I'm not sure if that's still an option or not.

T. Reich

Arcane
Kind of a shame, I suspect people who paid 10k to add an item put more thought into it than the devs tend to. Trash uniques in these sorts of games boggle my mind. Why go to all the trouble of statting out a specific item drop like that just to have nobody even pick it up?

It's never been $10k. You could buy a "design-a-unique" option for $1k, and later for $1.5k, because the demand for this was so high.
There alaso was a "retarded rich" Conqueror Fo Wraeclast supporter pack in OB for $12.5k, which let you design a unique monster (whether ingame mob, or as a one-of-a-kind pet, I don't remember) among other things. A handful of people got that.

The point of the unique is to leave your mark on the game. GGG has explicitly stated many times that it's not a ticket to get a GG unique tailored to a player's tastes.

Zlaja

Arcane
During my last session I killed a rogue exile who was running around with a lightning scorpion pet. Wanted to take it with me but the game wouldn't let me. :(

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
During my last session I killed a rogue exile who was running around with a lightning scorpion pet. Wanted to take it with me but the game wouldn't let me. :(
Oh you can have that pet! Just pay some sweet sweet dollars to GGG!

Yours for only $110!
It really is funny how ridiculously expensive some of the useless microtransactions are, while you can get all the stash tabs you will ever need for less than 20 bucks (less than half the retail price of a game).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The sad thing about it is that the stash tabs aren't really a sustainable income for them anyways, at some point you have as much as you're willing to manage and you don't need to spend any more on them, while the game continues to crank out content. So in the long run they need to make their money off hats anyways and could have gotten away with a decent inventory system instead.

I wonder though, if the stash tabs are like a microtransaction gateway drug effect- get people to spend a tiny bit on a stash tab to feel good about using the store so they buy hats later? I'm sure they have a ton of data on which sorts of people buy what things in what order.
Do addicts even need gateways? Seems to me that they'll buy anyway no matter what. I bought my bare minimum of tabs and haven't looked back ever since.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom