Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I'm calling you out for pretending to be an expert on the series when you only played several missions of the original and the demo for SF3.

Soul Harvest has the fairest balancing in the series. You need to play on hard just for AI production to be on an equal footing with the player.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
WC3's campaign can't be the best because you have to deal with severely gimped rosters for 3/4 of each campaign.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm calling you out on your bullshit for pretending to be an expert on a series when you only played several missions of the original and the demo for SF3.

Soul Harvest has the fairest balancing in the series. You need to play on hard just for AI production to be on an equal footing with the player.

I played almost the entire first campaign, not only several missions, rofl. I've never pretended to be an expert, that's a cop out.

WC3's campaign can't be the best because you have to deal with severely gimped rosters for 3/4 of each campaign.

That doesn't prevent it from being designed around the limited roster. Give other examples of better campaigns.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What you are trying to do is defend bullshit and unfair design for some reason I can't comprehend, while also trying to denigrate others who have valid criticisms that don't boil down to lack of skill. Is it technically possible to beat the only map I had to rush in the first game? Probably with a better hero, but that's hardly relevant. And maybe I do indeed just need to git gud, but I've played games my whole life and have never had the same situation in any other game ever, so I'm going to trust my experience on this and say it's cheap and bullshit enough without taking into account my skill level, especially when other people have confirmed the same and we have other examples of good AI/difficulty design.
I would not call it bullshit or unfair. It is just a way to design RTS games. Starcraft 2 is not much different. I didn't really enjoy playing vs other players so I trained vs AI. And eventually I had enough APM to beat hardest AI. It took a few weeks but I did it. A newbie coming to Sc2 and playing vs hardest AI would get totally demolished, gameplay will look unfair and bullshit..

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:shredder:

Ohhh fuck,they really messed up with this one. The old UI was a strange one but once you get used to it,it became practical and useful. This one is just odd and confusing,you just have to use F buttons to cast spells,it really confuses as to who cast what and where. Also F4 is kind of useless,you are better of using a mouse. Also i noticed that they fucked up the rpg element by making the heroes made from paper. I am at the dwarfen mission where you have to retake some village,most of my heroes die from a single crossbow shot in their special stand. Also the fucked up some of the skill trees,they decided that taking away the dual wielding away from the fighting tree is a great idea. They put it in the archer one,thus making it totally useless. Also the AI is retarded,commanding a decent group of units is a hell. During battle everyone is running around like headless chickens because there is dude infront of them and they can't reach the target. This would have been great if they decided to ease on the RTS and focus on the rpg part.

Still the writing is still great,the engine is still amazing. Would love to see more games made in it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, some of these decisions feel a bit weird. Preferred the old talent system. I also miss the caravans going around with different supplies, I thought that was a fun and neat system.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
also miss the caravans going around with different supplies
It was slowing the game tho,it would have been better for them to make them more and faster. Now you have an isolated provinces building up new buildings and armies because of the global resource system. It really fells off. Also it seems that they had cut some building. From what i remember there were a bunch of different tiers of buildings,now all of them are in place and it seems less. I like how now you have different workers and movers.

I noticed that the writing had taken a dip too,it is the same quality but the politic of the writer are beginning to sip trough. I have noticed there is decline the choice of dialogue,where before you could agree disagree and ignore the ideas of the enemy. Now is all "muh nationalism is evul" "nationalism is disgusting" and "you are insane to believe such garbage". I have noticed it only in a few small places but if it s a big theme of the game,i will not be happy.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I also miss the caravans going around with different supplies, I thought that was a fun and neat system.

That was a dumb mechanic, and the reason all the veteran RTS players hated it.

Switching to global resource distribution made the gameplay five times faster and it's the best decision they could have made.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I've played RTS games competitively for over a decade. Spellforce 3 was a terrible RTS.

Soul Harvest is better in every single way, because they made changes based on feedback from actual veteran RTS players. Not retards like Fantadomat that are only playing it for the pretty graphics and story.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
So when you say wait for the improvements to be transfered, is that just wishful thinking, are you basing it on a developer tweet, or what?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lol @ veteran RTS players. Reminds me when Tripwire approached CoD players asking what they wanted for Red Orchestra 2. Destroyed that game.

The sector system with caravans and stuff was unique, now you just build everything, the only thing that limit you are the resources in the area and then you mass army and a click. At least in Spellforce 3, even if that tactics worked for the most time, you had to protect supply lines, and could raid them.

Not everyone want super fast StarCraft 2 style of gameplay.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I understand you prefer slower gameplay. There are plenty of RTS games that do slow gameplay well, but you're mistaken if you believe Spellforce 3 was one of them.

The caravan system was a unique concept, but in practice it was a total slog. The only effective strategy was to turtle for the first 15 minutes until you could build a decent attack force, and then rush the other player's base. If the first attempt failed, then it would result in either a game ending counterattack or another 15 minute stalemate. This killed all enjoyment from competitive play.

Soul Harvest is faster paced and more visceral, while still managing to differentiate itself in many ways from Starcraft and Warcraft. It may not be your speed, but it is a good RTS unlike the original.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I understand you prefer slower gameplay. There are plenty of RTS games that do slow gameplay well, but you're mistaken if you believe Spellforce 3 was one of them.

The caravan system was a unique concept, but in practice it was a total slog. The only effective strategy was to turtle for the first 15 minutes until you could build a decent attack force, and then rush the other player's base. If the first attempt failed, then it would result in either a game ending counterattack or another 15 minute stalemate. This killed all enjoyment from competitive play.

Soul Harvest is faster paced and more visceral, while still managing to differentiate itself in many ways from Starcraft and Warcraft. It may not be your speed, but it is a good RTS unlike the original.

So it comes down to the campaign have to suffer because of multiplayer, something I didn't touch for Spellforce and probably won't now either.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Not at all. The RTS gameplay was also boring in the singleplayer campaign as well.

Again, it sounds like the real issue is that you don't like fast paced RTS games. You would probably find games like Kohan, Sins of a Solar Empire, Wargame: Red Dragon, and Warrior Kings: Battles more to your liking.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I do like both, but it seems fast paced comes down to mass amount of units in the fastest speed possible and A click. That is boring as hell gameplay, considering you have heroes with special skills and now units with a ton of special abilities. Also my point was, the removal of the supply system just makes this another generic RTS and I guess there our views differ. I just don't find it as enjoyable as in Spellforce 3, even if most missions in it was dependent on how fast you do things.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:whatho:
Are we talking about the same game people??? Without the expansion you could still play a fast rush game. I ended most of my battles ended fast,you just have to take your initial troops and rush the enemy,just block his main base retake all the other sectors.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I do like both, but it seems fast paced comes down to mass amount of units in the fastest speed possible and A click. That is boring as hell gameplay, considering you have heroes with special skills and now units with a ton of special abilities.

That's what prevents it from being all about APM. The improvements to unit customization, unit variety, and unique faction mechanics give you far more tactical options than the original game did.

Build a tunnel behind enemy lines. Kamikaze the capitol with suicide bombers. Overwhelm their workers with hundreds of spiders. Assemble a fleet of dropships and land an army right on their base. When you say the expansion is all about spamming units, I actually think that's more descriptive of the original where every faction was bland and effectively played the same. Soul Harvests added variety allows the player to exercise greater creativity.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL Parabalus are you fucking wikipedia moderator,what is with all the citations needed? The best citation is this,just pirate the game,play the shit out of it and buy it. Fuck even filthy marauder like me bought it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom