Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

JDR13

Arcane
Besides romances and LGBT, all the stuff you BG fans love to talk about, the real incline would be to improve the formula.

For instance, if they had the balls to go turn-based, wipe romances out of the game and focus on the gameplay while making a bullet-proof engine which doesn't require interminable loading screens (like the recent "you know them" games).

I'm with you on wiping romances out of the games entirely (go play the fucking Sims if you want romance in a video game), but screw going turn-based. There are more than enough turn-based games out there already. I happen to like both styles.

DeepOcean

Arcane
And Critical Role has made D&D super popular!
I have already written about it Winter 2017- Spring 2018, but the real question is: "Is Critical Role so popular because of D&D or have they made D&D more popular." Definitely DnD sales in 2017 were the best, since WOTC acquired the D&D franchise in 1997. People name also "Stranger Things" as a cofactor in the new popularity of DnD. I see also the fact that WOTC has lowered the amount of Books that are released for DnD, making it rather manageable for buyers and players, and the streamlined gameplay in the DnD 5E is suitable for new players.
So yes DnD is more popular than it was in 2003-2017. And Larian would be smart to jump onto the Bandwagon.
Many people that watch critical role are after professional actors interpreting a fantasy story and they get engaged as the actors are really personally engaged and emoting for real with the characters they created instead of interpreting a character made by another writer, very few of those people will ever try PnP, and of those, a portion will get disappointed very fast as most nerds are too self conscious/judgmental out of shame and insecurity to actually go all the way into larping as those actors are and they will give up. The recent success of PnP games has more to do with the new kickstarter games that ended the years long impression that tabletop gaming was something doomed to die as a hobby, people don't like to engage on a hobby they think will die as tabletop gaming was on 2012 and before.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I'm in favor of people creating their own settings where they can establish that loud and proud queers have been around forever, but I'm very much against retconning settings because it's become en vogue to pander e.g.

You know, the more I read that, the hollower it gets. This isn't a retcon, it just showing that you see a certain customerbase that was always around as that what they are: people with money, that now get the representation they want, after spending thousand of dollars in their hobby. Maybe it is a cultural thing, but here in germany our homebrew P&Per, The Dark Eye, always included gays and lesbians (not always tasteful but it was a start), so in those circles nobody was really surprised when suddenly the lesbian Amazon appeared, because it was always there. There's no trend here, Roguey, it only got official. And you have to be seriously naive, if you think that gay only means shrill, loud, pink Dragqueen. And if there are more of them ... so what? Bad writing is independent from your sexual orientation. I mean, Dorn and Korgan are the most macho characters in all of BG and you can't tell me, that they are fun to be around (except you like your obnoxious dudebro that is always talking about his big weapon and daddy was mean to him, but feelings are for pussies and elves).

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
I think the retcon was more to the spirit of the realms.. Transgenderism hasn't ever really been approached in the realms in a mature way.. especially when you can just magically swap genders whenever you want.

Yeah, but then Ed Greenwood came and said "trans A-OK".

Still the game is liked for its strong themes, which don't include trans, homo, etc. In fact you can play most D&D games without having sex with your characters or even romance. Some argue it's a fundamental dimension of (demi-) human life, some like their shitty fanfictions, I dunno what to say.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think the retcon was more to the spirit of the realms.. Transgenderism hasn't ever really been approached in the realms in a mature way.. especially when you can just magically swap genders whenever you want.

Yeah, but then Ed Greenwood came and said "trans A-OK".

Still the game is liked for its strong themes, which don't include trans, homo, etc. In fact you can play most D&D games without having sex with your characters or even romance. Some argue it's a fundamental dimension of (demi-) human life, some like their shitty fanfictions, I dunno what to say.

Just because Greenwood says he likes a thing now to be a pandering Canadian - doesn't mean shit. IMO.
I don't remember his self-insert going to battle for woman's rights or trans equality.. too busy fucking all the barmaids and goddesses like some teleporting harper lecher.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Apparently WotC has one more "surprise" announcement today: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...unday%92s-%91surprise%92-D-amp-D-announcement

Supposedly you can watch it via D&D Twitch channel, during or at the end of a concert that will start on 5PM PT.

Many people there think it's a setting, and some think it's a video game.

And some people there mention there will be another announcement in June, suspiciously coincide with the month of E3. I don't know where this came from.

A public beheading of Beamdog would be a nice surprise.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
And some people there mention there will be another announcement in June, suspiciously coincide with the month of E3.

its-over-its-happening-its-too-late-you-cant-stop-19426370.png

Codex Year of the Donut
The problem with gays in video games is that most gay people irl don't go around telling everyone they're gay. They're annoying for the same reason pride fags are annoying.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh btw, this is the reference to "major AF" announcement in June: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?658502-Announcement-after-The-Descent

Announcement after The Descent
I was watching the latest Spoilers & Swag and Nathan Stewart dropped a bit of a bomb towards the very end: "I will spoil one thing, that I think June, after The Descent, we're gonna follow up The Descent with another major announcement. Major AF."

It starts at about 58:46, in the event the link doesn't take you directly to the spot.

Mayhaps another digital release of a campaign setting? Or maybe more book announcements? They're ramping up for something!

Cael

Arcane

Theldaran

Liturgist

I was fabulously optimistic it would be Planescape but maybe it's for the best to let it RIP.
I doubt the TSR magic of David Zeb Cook, Monte Cook, Colin McComb, Dana Knutson, Tony DiTerlizzi, Ray and Valierie Vallese can be replicated again.

:hero:

They turned Magic the Gathering into shit, then turned D&D into shit.

:prosper:

Generic-Giant-Spider

The problem with gays in video games is that most gay people irl don't go around telling everyone they're gay. They're annoying for the same reason pride fags are annoying.

Unless you're on Reddit. It's in the Terms of Service that every five days you must remind everyone you're gay.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
New colleague of mine is a former Larian employee. He says Swen acquired the Baldur's Gate license. No further information on when they're going to use it and for what, but they have it.

Why did they lie that it is not true? Why lie to us?

hexer

Why did they lie that it is not true? Why lie to us?

Business decision.. maybe the deal wasn't solid back then.
Maybe there was a chance the game could be cancelled.. only they know the truth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom