Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

hpstg

Savant
If the engine is not built for it, then it will be impossible to work it out later, while preserving some semblance of quality.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Sadly, they probably want to have some shitty multiplayer where they can sell loot boxes filled with cosmetics.
More likely multiplayer is to help give the illusion of content while requiring less effort spent in making the game. Because then, they can sell you other people as the content.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sadly, they probably want to have some shitty multiplayer where they can sell loot boxes filled with cosmetics.

I don't even think they do. That's what makes this so strange. They don't seem to be on the cutting edge of how to drain as much money out of consumers as possible. It's like they're living in the 1990s and they want to put "multiplayer" on the box of the game they're gonna sell in a retail store.

If they were really trying to maximize profits, they would make a base game that was simple but good, and then get bought out by Paradox who would turn out 100 horse armor DLCs. I swear, this must be some kind of vanity project where Erdogan wants to make Turkey the world leader in Sid-Meier's-Pirates-but-on-horses games.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dev Blog 30/05/19
30 May @ 8:03pm - Callum
0dda513c07dfaaa336ab6d16b6bdda7033a7352a.jpg

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord’s singleplayer campaign takes place in a vast sandbox with numerous systems working together to provide players with a deep and engaging gaming experience. Bringing these systems together and ensuring that they work alongside and complement each other is no small task. And with multiple programmers working somewhat independently on each system, an additional layer of complexity is added to the mix. This is where Ömer Sarı steps in. It is his responsibility to coordinate and organise the campaign team while ensuring that the programming work is of a consistently high standard.

NAME
Ömer Sarı

FROM
Kocaeli, Turkey

JOINED TALEWORLDS

EDUCATION
Computer Science, Bilkent University

OFFICIAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Lead Programmer (Campaign Team)

WHAT DO YOU NORMALLY DO DURING YOUR DAY?
I do code reviews and small meetings with fellow team members to ensure good code quality in the campaign project. Other than that, there are times when I attend design meetings to discuss the technical details of game features. Every couple of weeks I organise internal single player tests and review the feedback from my colleagues.

I try to implement new features and/or solve bugs with the rest of the time I have. The feature which I work on usually varies depending on the priority of the task and the immediate needs of the campaign sandbox.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE THE MOST ABOUT BANNERLORD?
I like being immersed in an alive and ever-changing Calradia; The game is made up of complex systems running in the background, such as the trading system, resource production, prosperity, loyalty, etc., and I’m particularly interested in how these systems can affect each other. Raiding villages and looting caravans in an area can hinder the production of a certain trade good, which in turn can have an impact on the economy of a faraway kingdom.

I like the ability to directly change the living world around you through your actions.

WHAT'S THE MOST DIFFICULT THING THAT YOU SOLVED SO FAR, DURING THE PRODUCTION OF BANNERLORD?
I gained the role of campaign lead programmer a few months ago. Before that, I was mainly writing code all day long. Now, I also have to be available to other campaign team members or for design meetings, code reviews, and so on. So, currently, my biggest challenge is to manage my time in a way that allows me to take care of my team, review their code and yet still find time to create content myself!

WHAT DO YOU CURRENTLY WORK ON?
I am working on optimising the pathfinding usages by campaign parties, as well as, translation/localisation support.

We have a lot of parties moving around the campaign map, with each of them constantly calculating the distance between their position and their potential target’s position to figure out if they should really go to that target. I am trying to increase the precision in their calculations while improving performance at the same time.

Each language has its own needs and rules. Our text system enables the player’s attributes and actions to change the way other characters address the player. For example, if the player is an honourable king with a family, his wife will address him as husband, his foes will address him with respect, etc. Our text system is able to replace specific parts of the text to achieve this role-playing element, and I am trying to ensure that this system works for every language.

blog_post_92_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg

WHAT FACTION DO YOU LIKE THE MOST IN BANNERLORD?
I like Khuzaits the most. I like their tribal nature and their troop tree. Watching your enemies getting crushed and trampled under hordes of mounted men is always a spectacle. Also, horse archers always tend to make things easier!

HAVE THERE BEEN ANY RECENT ADDITIONS TO THE GAME THAT HAVE PROVEN MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO IMPLEMENT THAN THEY WOULD SEEM?
It is usually difficult to predict what will be affected by a new feature since the project is fairly large and complex. Any new feature that is being added, no matter how small it is, may require additional work to remove any discrepancies with other systems. Luckily, we are not adding as many features as before.

One recent example that I can give is our work on the party speed and inventory mechanics. When we tweaked the penalty for parties transporting cargo beyond their capacity, we discovered that a range of AI parties tend to go beyond their limits. This was perfectly fine with the previous (very forgiving) set up but caused them to slow down excessively after the change. Of course, we could have simply reverted the changes, but that would leave the capacity system feeling rather toothless. And maybe worse, it would not address the underlying problems. So instead, we set out to find a better solution (or several in fact). In some cases, like villagers transporting goods from their home to the town, this simply meant adjusting the frequency of their deliveries to better match the rate of production. In other cases, like caravans, we introduced the ability to purchase additional pack animals. However, even with a number of eventualities addressed, we felt that there should be a failsafe in place. After all, what if a party acts according to plan but is attacked and loses a lot of men? Suddenly, they may be carrying goods well beyond their capabilities. So, currently, we are looking at if and when a party should be able to rid itself of some of its cargo, prisoners... or wounded men.

Discuss this blog post HERE

4a10552b1cc2202d51d761d299502467801edd02.png
Facebook[www.facebook.com]
b25d0c097c51f4f070fd65a5f6da7ab08fa0b186.png
Twitter

7d86544d1d1183a6e1c78349fa4f32066108aab0.png
Website[www.taleworlds.com]
4a10552b1cc2202d51d761d299502467801edd02.png
Facebook[www.facebook.com]
b25d0c097c51f4f070fd65a5f6da7ab08fa0b186.png
Twitter
83ac6a99aff3ebf165f8114bb37539aa69b1ccc9.png
YouTube
2beabe9d7f074a47f64397f8b073bafbfcc955ac.png
Twitch[www.twitch.tv]

UnknownBro

Savant
The dialog UI looks nice. I wonder if there will be more than four dialog options to choose from.

deuxhero

Arcane
Our text system enables the player’s attributes and actions to change the way other characters address the player. For example, if the player is an honourable king with a family, his wife will address him as husband, his foes will address him with respect, etc. Our text system is able to replace specific parts of the text to achieve this role-playing element, and I am trying to ensure that this system works for every language.
Can I play as an asshole mercenary that use 俺様 or a girl that uses 僕?

Aemar

Arcane
Every couple of weeks years I organise internal single player tests and review the feedback from my colleagues.
Fixed.

There's something about this song that relates to the development process of this game.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1593625598783985655

Dev Blog 07/06/19

728b7fc808d37c2aa775d43537d406a6d1f4ff99.jpg

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

In Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, you need to keep your head about you at all times. And with the game’s new death system, this rings especially true, lest your adventures come to an abrupt end to the executioner’s axe!

Executions make for quite a natural addition to the series. The medieval period is infamous for some of its troubling, if rather inventive, methods of execution. From dealing with treacherous vassals to striking fear into the hearts of the ruled, executions were a simple solution to otherwise complicated problems.

Our approach to this feature is like with most systems in the game: it should be simple enough to understand and use, yet achieves complexity through its interaction with the larger simulation.

blog_post_93_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg

As shown in the screenshot above, players are able to execute characters through a button on the party screen. Choosing to do so leads to another interface for confirmation that the player wants to carry out this action, with a short animation that follows if the player decides to press ahead. The execution itself has a number of consequences that help to ensure that it is a powerful, yet costly action. These consequences differ in severity depending on whom the player chooses to execute. Executing a dishonourable lord is a lot more acceptable in the eyes of your peers than killing an honourable one, but it is still frowned upon. After all, lords are part of the ruling elite, and such punishments are not befitting of their status! Likewise, the executed character’s clan and faction won’t take too kindly to seeing one of their kin slain in such a manner, and as such, relations between the two sides will be severely affected. What’s worse, executing an honourable lord will decrease your own honour rating, so you may end up being marked as dishonourable yourself.

blog_post_93_taleworldswebsite_03.jpg

If you do end up as dishonourable due to executions you carry out or for any other reason, it’s not exactly the end of the world. You’ll receive some penalty to your relation with most other nobles, but you can still make it work. However, you will now need to be very careful. Executions are an option available to AI lords as well, and now that you are dishonourable, your enemies will be much more likely to chop your head off if they manage to capture you. When deciding whether or not to execute the player, the AI lord’s personality, the honour rating of the player, and the relationship between the two are all taken into account.

In the end, we think that executions are a solid addition to the game. Like many of Bannerlord’s mechanics, if used wisely, it can help to further your goals within the game. Likewise, it opens up new avenues for roleplaying and feeds into the emergent narrative that the sandbox encourages.

Discuss this blog post HERE

Xeon

Augur
If I execute an honorable lord I am at war with, will my vassals or my lord if I have a liege disapprove of my killing? That will be kinda dumb, they should approve of anything that helps damage their enemies.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
What about the player being executed if he's a criminal and are captured?

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
What about the player being executed if he's a criminal and are capture?

I guess you can keep play taking over as a clan member, no clan survivor means game over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom