Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Epic level D&D has never been that good, though. While the Outer Planes idea would be appropriate for BG3, they must find a way not only to challenge such god-like characters, but also to provide some kind of progression. I've always felt that low-level and midgame is the best span if you can restrain yourself from granting too powerful abilities to the characters (*cough* looking at you, Sawyer *cough*).

PS. fuck Minsc, oh my God. Why is he so popular?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Epic level D&D has never been that good, though. While the Outer Planes idea would be appropriate for BG3, they must find a way not only to challenge such god-like characters, but also to provide some kind of progression. I've always felt that low-level and midgame is the best span if you can restrain yourself from granting too powerful abilities to the characters (*cough* looking at you, Sawyer *cough*).

stupid nerds in the 90s thought bad comedy and movie references were the epitome of writing quality

GloomFrost

Arcane
Actually if the entire BG 3 is the same level of quality as Cyseal then it is not going to be too shabby. The writing, characters, music, combat/talking ratio, different ways to solve quests were by far the best Larian ever made.

The writing, no, but there are quite a lot of things to like about Cyseal, all ruined by randomly generated loot and the writing.
Writing wasn't better or worst then in the first BG. Its just Larian have to shove their god awful "humor" everywhere. Thats why you cant take plot or characters in DOS seriously.

Melcar

Arcane

stupid nerds in the 90s thought bad comedy and movie references were the epitome of writing quality

Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Project: Eternity
I expect it to be better than whatever beamdog did, as I actually enjoyed larian games. It probably wont be as good as BG1 or BG2 though.
lol
They've never made anything, unless you mean a BG mod, MOD with LGBTFAGS content
Well yes I'm expecting to be better than this as well being better than beamdog "enchanced" edition which managed to make 1998 game look worse.

Meh, can't get excited for this. BG was at its best when it was low-key, your character and his down-to-earth friends exporing a region in Faerun, unraveling some related mysteries, engaging in low-level adventures. It's hard to see Larian doing any of this well. I see their BG as being more like this:

- Gather your cats before venturing forth
- Your foster father, Flatulant, raised you in the remote pimp school of Nastya.
- You are now level 12, select wizard spell > Finger of Death: congratulations you can now cast Finger of Death part 1, once your co-op partner casts Part 2, the spell will go into effect.
- Imp Johnson, the Lord of Death, summons you to his throne.

Delterius

Arcane
Meh, can't get excited for this. BG was at its best when it was low-key, your character and his down-to-earth friends exporing a region in Faerun, unraveling some related mysteries, engaging in low-level adventures. It's hard to see Larian doing any of this well. I see their BG as being more like this:
zgaf4ci2kb16.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI, an introduction to Baldur's Gate, the city, posted on D&D Beyond after the announcement of Descent Into Avernus. Maybe some pointers to the premise of BG3?: https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/501-welcome-to-baldurs-gate-an-introduction-to-the

Baldur's Gate wasn't particularly "dark and gritty" in the computer game (other than perhaps that underground brothel which felt like an unfinished area with barely any content). Obviously the place has changed in 5E but I don't like how they retcon the grittiness to BioWare's game.

The place sounds like Zhentil Keep or Luskan now, yeesh.

Last edited:

pomenitul

Arbiter
Baldur's Gate wasn't particularly "dark and gritty" in the computer game (other than perhaps that underground brothel which felt like an unfinished area with barely any content). Obviously the place has changed in 5E but I don't like how they retcon the grittiness to BioWare's game.

Caveat: I was bordering on pubescence, but the Candlekeep Catacombs, Durlag's Tower and the Undercity were terrifying to me at the time. Michael Hoenig's soundtrack is also quite eerie when it needs to be.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Caveat: I was bordering on pubescence, but the Candlekeep Catacombs, Durlag's Tower and the Undercity were terrifying to me at the time. Michael Hoenig's soundtrack is also quite eerie when it needs to be.

I'm talking about the city itself. Read that article, they've turned Baldur's Gate into a Luskan-like city of corruption.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, Baldur's Gate and Beregost are the only cities on the Sword Coast. So, technically, BG is the darkest city on the Sword Coast.

image...

Those are his in-game phrases, no? Not the actual writing. And he is just one semi-retarded humor relief character among like what, 15 serious ones?

Recent Larian games have ALL characters talking similar to this, and not just in short in-game phrases, but the actual writing. And when they try to be serious, it's even worse.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'm talking about the city itself. Read that article, they've turned Baldur's Gate into a Luskan-like city of corruption.

This is true. I've always said that BG1 was probably my favourite game becasue the tone of the game was so light. Arcanum was similiar, and BG2 had David Gaider's particular tone. If any of these rumors are true, they need to get Luke Kristjanson on board and James Ohlen - possibly Chris Avellone, or it's just gonna be another RPG with a sequel number tacked onto it.

And besides -apart from Owlcat- I can't really see anyone making a go of this title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom