Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rune II: Decapitation Edition - abandoned by Human Head Studios, still causing drama

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why is this now an MMO? Because it has an online free-for-all PvP mode? You all realize original Rune had that, too, right?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why is this now an MMO? Because it has an online free-for-all PvP mode? You all realize original Rune had that, too, right?
Go back a few pages in the thread, it's not that long.
The game is basically meant to be "enjoyed" on a server of up to 64 people. With a strong survival aspect. All in all, sounds very much Rust-/Conan-/etc. like, just maybe without all the building stuff.
Of course, you can play offline, but a game that is developed primarily with this multiplayer experience in mind will never be a great single player game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Go back a few pages in the thread, it's not that long.
The game is basically meant to be "enjoyed" on a server of up to 64 people. With a strong survival aspect. All in all, sounds very much Rust-/Conan-/etc. like, just maybe without all the building stuff.
Of course, you can play offline, but a game that is developed primarily with this multiplayer experience in mind will never be a great single player game.
I'm old. Three pages is an eternity to me. But, yes, looking at some of the coverage I see how it's kind of geared for online play.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
So not only did they get a fat paycheck, but Epic sent their own developers to polish the game.

It's no longer an MMO either. They rebooted it as a singleplayer game with optional four player co-op.

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
imageedit-3758745916.jpg
someone-has-been-playing-a-little-too-much-reinhardt-in-overwatch_c_7127939.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's no longer an MMO either. They rebooted it as a singleplayer game with optional four player co-op.

Keep hearing conflicting reports about this, but even if it is mostly a singleplayer game now I bet it has that Dragon Age 3 offline MMO feel anyway.

Neanderthal

Arcane
How good was the original Rune, really?

It had some good and memorable points: The combat was fast, frenetic and responsive. The graphics for their time were good. The environments varied. The soundtrack was serviceable.

One area in which it excelled was atmosphere, when you're deep in the underworld, beset by foes, lost and freaked out by all weird shit around you at beginning of game, that's really well done.

The itemisation was pretty good as well, when you find Roman sword early on its a big moment and affects your playstyle.

Have a play.

PrettyDeadman

How good was the original Rune, really?
Pretty good. Fast paced combat system (which lead to great multiplayer which is alive even today), nice level design, inventive weapons (every weapon has a unique special ability) and etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Giant Bomb has a "quick look" out with 40ish minutes of gameplay. I made it through about 5 minutes before confirming it's not a game for me and stopping the video. YMMV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom