Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Covenant

Savant
Man, everyone hates Alps or witches... I personally loathe spiders. They are fucking annoying to fight, with their eggs and being always in forests... I most of the time avoid contracts that have them :P

beside Alps and witches i hate bounty hunters. especially between 30-50 days
As far I know you can always just give bounty hunters what they want.
Besides winning group of bounty hunters during early game gives relatively good loot.

My only issue with this is that the bounty hunters are supposed to be mercenaries, like you. So sure, they'll try and bully you into giving up your hard-earned loot, makes sense. But once you stand your ground and show that you can actually fight, and kill a couple of them, it seems improbable that they wouldn't cut their losses and split. There's no profit in death, after all.

Instead they'd rather fight to the end, and that end is typically half of my squad down and all of their guys (bar maybe one or two who retreat) dead as well. That kind of behaviour doesn't make sense for a long-running group of mercenaries and bountyhunters. Everyone walks away a loser. Goblins, orcs and undead, sure, I expect them to stop at nothing to kill me, but it seems unrealistic when men who murder primarily for love of coin are so illogical about it.

Payd Shell

Arcane
My only issue with this is that the bounty hunters are supposed to be mercenaries, like you. So sure, they'll try and bully you into giving up your hard-earned loot, makes sense. But once you stand your ground and show that you can actually fight, and kill a couple of them, it seems improbable that they wouldn't cut their losses and split. There's no profit in death, after all.

Instead they'd rather fight to the end, and that end is typically half of my squad down and all of their guys (bar maybe one or two who retreat) dead as well. That kind of behaviour doesn't make sense for a long-running group of mercenaries and bountyhunters. Everyone walks away a loser. Goblins, orcs and undead, sure, I expect them to stop at nothing to kill me, but it seems unrealistic when men who murder primarily for love of coin are so illogical about it.
But then again it doesn't really make sense for brigands to fight you later on, either. Except the groups that have a leader and a hedge knight maybe, but the rabble shouldn't be that eager to break themselves on your famed 2handers before the folks that have the gear to actually survive a swing or two aren't engaged.

Covenant

Savant

But then again it doesn't really make sense for brigands to fight you later on, either. Except the groups that have a leader and a hedge knight maybe, but the rabble shouldn't be that eager to break themselves on your famed 2handers before the folks that have the gear to actually survive a swing or two aren't engaged.

Agreed. It'd be better if, once your company became better skilled and equipped, bandits and raiders changed tack - rather than simply rushing headlong at you like giddy children they play more intelligently, stalking you like a pack of wolves. Trying to stay out of your immediate range and waiting for an opportune moment - say, right after you've had a difficult battle with a large force of greenskins or undead and most of your guys are wounded - to make their move. That's when they strike. It allows bandits to remain a threatening enemy without using the boring and predictable route of just bumping up their numbers to Assault on Precinct 13 levels of kamikaze cannon fodder.

It'd need some counterplay though - something like splitting off a small, fast-moving band of your most elite units to catch and decimate the raiders - otherwise it'd just aggravate people, and the strategic map doesn't really allow for that kind of thing currently. If they do continue to expand this game (or work on a sequel) I really hope they pay more attention to that aspect in the future. Different units and weapon types can only add so much.

Payd Shell

Arcane
Yeah, well, the overmap gameplay is rather barebones one way or the other, there's nothing really happening other than moving from point A to point B. I mean the AI is smart enough to realize when they're outmatched, though their calcualation seems to be entirely based on numbers. I'm pretty sure that 40 thugs would still attack your company at day 500. I'd like more interaction with the different factions as well that goes beyond 'me smash you' or 'me like you giev more moneys'. They were already hitting the limit with what's possible with the B&E expansion, Battle Brothers isn't a very deep game per se. I mean how many factions are there that utilize the 'netted' effect? Goblins especially with shamans, spiders, Kraken and mercenary companies. Nachos are the most unique enemy in the game for the sole reason that controlling the battlefield actually matters beyond moving on highground or utilizing chokepoints in forests if you play lone wolf.

The barbarians don't really bring anything new to the table other than being an anti-player faction. Which they achieve by being given a cheap rotate, silly stats that aren't reachable by the player even with the best of recruits, extra fatigue regen like any other NPC and having armor piercing weapons and a buttload of perks + armored unholds. A chosen has the tankiness of an orc warrior, the damage output of an orc zerker, highest morale of any human opponent and the offensive mobility of a goblin.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Walking bone still bone

6r5x0y.jpg

Lios

Cipher
The barbarians don't really bring anything new to the table other than being an anti-player faction. Which they achieve by being given a cheap rotate, silly stats that aren't reachable by the player even with the best of recruits, extra fatigue regen like any other NPC and having armor piercing weapons and a buttload of perks + armored unholds. A chosen has the tankiness of an orc warrior, the damage output of an orc zerker, highest morale of any human opponent and the offensive mobility of a goblin.

Well I haven't met armored unholds yet so I can't have an opinion about them. Also, I faced 2-3 chosens among other barbarians only once yet, and they did wipe the floor with me, but then I wasn't prepared to face higher tier enemies yet either (day 40 or so) so I can't comment on how I would fare against them with higher level bros + better equipment. As for thralls and reavers, they stop being a serious threat when you get heavy armor, better weapons and level up a bit.I give them a taste of their own medicine mostly, I adrenaline and bleed them to oblivion. I also like drummers, it's like they bring this whole "necromancer! snipe him snipe him snipe him!" critical vibe into a bandit raider-like encounter, only less frustrating than the necromancer's constant resurrection schtick in my opinion.

I'll have a more informed opinion about the barbarians in the future, sure, but so far I'm content with them as a faction: they act differently than other human enemies, you can plan specific strategies againts them like with every other faction, and they have their faction specific events, which is already more than bandit raiders.

And, for 9 euros, I'm very content with the DLC as a whole. Here's hoping that the next DLC (he he he) will focus on endgame/crisis content too, among other stuff.

Nahel

Arcane
Chosen are litteraly retarded. They are never worth fighting which is a pity because the rest of the barbarian faction is fun including the king. And I also don't like that lairs close to town don't give any unique items now, despite their difficulty. The problem in battle brothers is they try to pander too much to a extremely small minority. Some sort of retards who despite using a specific seed will try to restart a dozen times so that a specific squire they get for free get iron lungs....There is a difference between hardcore and stupidly punishing. As a results many ennemies are not worth the fight.

Last edited:

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
this game is an economic attrition simulator

rerolling your seeds ten million times is just the entry level endurance test

Tigranes

Arcane
So I has finally set up the Kraken fight, any tips from people who have done it?

Loaded up just to have a look, the swamp makes everything three times as annoying, there's no huge problem grouping everybody up and cutting down tentacles, but I understand that there's second & third stages later where things change. And you can't just slam on tentacles forever right, at some point you have to try and stab the kraken itself?

Payd Shell

Arcane
The worst part is when you're 50-60 days in and you're trying to train a fuckwit to level 11 without dying immediately. The AI focuses units based on the target's defense and the estimated damage an attack will deal. That's why bandit marksmen will often not go for battleforge 300/300 bros despite them having no ranged defense. That being said, a fledgling bro who is just there to soak some XP is a juicy target and they basically die whenever you're caught out of position, like, oh I don't know, 18 webknechts who YOU attacked but since it's a forest fuck you AMBUSH. Thanks Obama

Tigranes

Arcane
Give the dude heavy armour - doesn't matter if it brings him down to like 60 FAT - and a heater shield (or tower sometimes I guess), a polearm is usually best I find to let him get the last kill. It's also survival of the fittest - if I buy three brawlers I assume one will survive.

Why are you training him up to level 11 anyway? He'll pull his weight from ~level 5 onwards.

Payd Shell

Arcane
I was just venting because webknecht ambush when you attack them is retarded. It's also retarded if the newbie gets isolated and surrounded by spiders, webbed and poisoned to death. I play lone wolf so most of my recruits are handpicked to be either good tanks, good 2h frontliners or backline hybrids. I haven't got the best of the best yet and the guy I've lost wasn't so great to begin with, but still.

Payd Shell

Arcane
Already did, retired my crew after the first crisis. Map was shit and as you say, leveling is painfully slow. Especially because the lowborn recruits aren't the best. Pretty cheap, though.

Parabalus

Arcane
So I has finally set up the Kraken fight, any tips from people who have done it?

Loaded up just to have a look, the swamp makes everything three times as annoying, there's no huge problem grouping everybody up and cutting down tentacles, but I understand that there's second & third stages later where things change. And you can't just slam on tentacles forever right, at some point you have to try and stab the kraken itself?

I did it recently, basically turtle formation and kill tentacles until they are just 5 (start of p3). Then move to the kraken and attack it with range 2 weapons until it dies, xbows work as well.

Have everyone in armor because the tentacles can kill people in p2&3.

I'd also recommend getting a decent battle map, or have everyone with pathfinder.

My guys were all 11+ and did it with no losses, high MA on all is a must. Recovery is recommended since it's a long fight, and Adrenaline can help you vs unlucky rolls.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I think if i sell everything here instead of looking for best deal i can buy all four and still have spare money. There is lots of t3 weapons and jewelry from lairs in my inventory.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reinhardt would you take a screenie of your world map? I'm curious to know what the circuit of a Master Trader looks like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom