Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL best modern isometric CRPG(Divinity,Pillars,Kingmaker...)

Best modern iso CRPG ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
AoD was pretty divisive from its official release onward around here. It was something a lot of us were looking very much forward to and it's a decent to good game, but fell short of a lot of our expectations.
Imagine barely knowing about the codex, seeing the shitty the so-called cRPG revival (poe, wl2, tyranny etc.) thinking "well, it's probably me" and then running into AoD. It was like the second coming I tell ya. Also the game is perfectly fine without save-scumming; "Well, if you're going to leave that knife over there of course I'm going to stab myself with it, duh!"; "Now look what you did, I stabbed myself again!".

Jinn

Arcane
and then running into AoD.

Watching its development ravenously for 10 years probably didn't help my expectation to reality relationship there. Again, it's a good enough game, just a little more restricting in gameplay options than I would have liked for my RPG Jesus Fallout 1 meets post-apocalyptic bronze age. It's a game very much so designed to be played through 5-10 times with strict builds, which is fine, but not my exactly my cup of tea in the end sadly. As many have said before, it gives it more of a CYOA feel than I'm comfortable with.

Last edited:

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree with sense of adventure with kingmaker, but the boring thrashmobs hordes and kingdom management are killing all joy for me in the later game. I like encounters in poe2 much better. But I like TB combat most, so DOS is my favorite.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I like encounters in poe2 much better. But I like TB combat most, so DOS is my favorite.

Deadfire has TB combat now too - haven't tried it yet.

Also, Tyranny doesn't get enough love around here. It's a great game with a unique premise.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Deadfire has TB combat now too - haven't tried it yet.
It's still trash RTwP combat encounter design though, I expect, like in PoE1.

Countless groups of trash mobs close to each other meant to be wiped in RTwP, rather than complex set pieces made for TB.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Encounter design is better both in White March and Deadfire.

I understand that people were disappointed by vanilla POE, but they actually listened to the criticism and improved a lot in the expansions and in Deadfire.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
There was an interview for Deadfire where they listed ways they were improving the encounter design.

Of those they listed were more varied mobs, increased mobility, and better use of terrain when designing encounters.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I only played PoE1 with WM so, my judgement about the trash mob combat is based on that. If that's what you call "improved", then it must've really sucked in vanilla.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Also, Tyranny doesn't get enough love around here. It's a great game with a unique premise.
I don't think it is. Both Tyranny and AoD are heavily inspired by The Black Company novel yet out of these two only AoD gets the feel and the mood right and Tyranny fails it despite lifting some iconic characters from said novel.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I have only played Kingmaker. So, my vote is obvious. It seems Codex likes Underrail more than AOD( Underrail beat AOD in GOTY), and ATOM is missing.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
I only played PoE1 with WM so, my judgement about the trash mob combat is based on that. If that's what you call "improved", then it must've really sucked in vanilla.
Deadfire encounters are much better than WM. At least in the first like 2/3 of the game.
Most of Deadfire encounters are built with a lot of options to avoid (stealth, outmaneuver, dialogue checks, surrender for money etc) or maybe make it easier - using the environment, stealth, tactical positions. It really shines on hard difficulties.
There was some interesting ecounters in PoE1, but still many thrashmobs, even in WM - all the lizardmen or who they was.
Kingmaker has even more thrashmobs. While it has interesting bosses too, thrashmobs grinding are just horrible.
For the Tyranny, as I said, premise is great, but implementation is awful.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

If you didn't like WM, then Deadfire may not be for you.

Squid

Arbiter
Isn't that almost common opinion now here by those who have played it? Unfortunately, it also had very boring combat.
I thought common opinion was it was fairly mediocre due to lack of living up to what it could have been or so.

I thought the game was very unique and cool but it did have a weak ass ending chapter and the RTwP made it more frustrating. I also didn't like how skills worked with the locking shit. I didn't even know about it for like half the game. I liked it, but I wanted more out of it really.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I don't mind RTwP. And as far as combat goes, I like the one in Deadfire a bit more than in Tyranny.

What I did like a lot in Tyranny are the companions. And going against pretty much everyone was a lot of fun too.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What I did like a lot in Tyranny are the companions.
At one point while I was playing Tyranny, I decided that the writing was impossibly bad, so I opened up its dialogue files and dumped all words into a cloud generating software. The program created a cloud of unique words and it was this tiny cloud where I could see all the unique words from the entire game - the software concluded that the game had the vocabulary of an 8 year old. The most used words were "man, woman, fight, overlord, Fatebinder" and most of its words were 1-2 syllables long, so kids and bydlo would be comfortable with it.

Then I dumped Black Company books in that software to compare and there was a drastic difference, the Black Company book series was apparently oriented towards 13 year olds and had twice the unique vocabulary and the words were generally longer.

Boy was I not surprised.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
At one point while I was playing Tyranny, I decided that the writing was impossibly bad, so I opened up its dialogue files and dumped all words into a cloud generating software. The program created a cloud of unique words and it was this tiny cloud where I could see all the unique words from the entire game - the software concluded that the game had the vocabulary of an 8 year old. The most used words were "man, woman, fight, overlord, Fatebinder" and most of its words were 1-2 syllables long, so kids and bydlo would be comfortable with it.

Then I dumped Black Company books in that software to compare and there was a drastic difference, the Black Company book series was apparently oriented towards 13 year olds and had twice the unique vocabulary and the words were generally longer.

Boy was I not surprised.
I am not sure if you are actually telling a real thing or just joking. Well either way it is no surprise,the game was written by retards.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

Boy was I not surprised.

Clever use of the data.

Nalenth

Novice

Boy was I not surprised.

I will not say that the game's writing is great, but this is not a good method to measure writing "quality". You would get similar results with any game (or most genre fiction for that matter).

Yosharian

Arcane

Boy was I not surprised.
Please do this for other games. And provide the results. I am interested

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom