Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sacred82 : I really enjoy being able to see what abilities are affecting which character without pausing in the middle of 34324 spell effects. Also helps to choose correctly what ability to use and when instead of spamming all the standard stuff until they are depleted etc
Using spells or abilities that are not commonly used is a possibility now since you can actually assess the situation easily and make your decision

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Sacred82 : I really enjoy being able to see what abilities are affecting which character without pausing in the middle of 34324 spell effects. Also helps to choose correctly what ability to use and when instead of spamming all the standard stuff until they are depleted etc
Using spells or abilities that are not commonly used is a possibility now since you can actually assess the situation easily and make your decision

if you don't like pausing then TB is probably better, absolutely.

Dunno about Pillars 2 spells, did they go back to lots of friendly fire? In Pillars spells ended up just being build specific.

Prime Junta

Here are some things that bug me to no end.

- In early game every character class is pretty much equal in terms of combat efficiency. Every character class can oneshot a bad guy from stealth pre-combat.

Playing on Easy I take it?

Enemies seem to hit your characters pretty reliably whether they're wearing a plate mail with shield or a simple cotton shirt.

That's because armour doesn't affect your chance to be hit. It reduces damage.

- Every character can use all weapons and most of the equipment. This is a huge negative for me, since I don't feel the classes to be any different. What ever happened to wizards with quarterstaves, thieves with daggers and clerics with maces? There can be no class restrictions anymore?

AD&D nostalgiafag detected.

- All the "reactivity" due to character skills checks, their race etc mostly amount to nothing more than flavor text or maybe a bit of EXP or an item. Skills make barely any real impact - failed skill checks don't prevent you from taking on a quest, for instance. In other words, you have PLENTY of choices, but ultimately they have no REAL consequences.

There are some consequences down the line. Your companions might dump you, you'll have to choose which faction to side with, quests will have different resolutions etc.

- There's so much fucking shit in my inventory. I haven't read even a small fraction of what all that shit is or does. Every container gives me some new item that temporarily gives +1 to Resolve or some shit like that. I already know I will never use any of that shit. Finding new stuff doesn't feel like anything. In Baldur's Gate finding a new piece of equipment felt like a huge accomplishment.

It's a Monty Haul kind of game for sure, like BG2 for example.

- Characters autoheal after combat. (maybe I can disable this from options?)

There is a god challenge for that, yes.

- Second Wind ability. So every character class is a healer now?

Yes. (It's endurance though, not health.)

- Voice acting is uninspired. In the first city everyone has really terrible Spanish accent - get it, Conquistadors, wink, wink? The blonde chad NPC companion says everything in a monotone voice that makes me fall asleep.

Yes, full VO was a mistake.

- I only have 1 NPC companion, the blonde chad guy, but I already want to hang him from his guts. He feels more like a soulless henchmen rather than a real person. He commented on my immoral behavior and even threatened to leave the party, which I appreciate, but mostly he just throws bland, meaningless comments about things we see and characters we meet. Nothing has any impact. Nothing matters. I want to die.

As opposed to such profoundly and subtly characterised companions as... Minsc, for example?

- How is it possible I felt 1000 times more engaged while playing Knights of The Chalice? It's an amateurish indie sketch with little to no story and basically zero NPC interactions. Yet everything felt so much more meaningful in that game. Why is that??? Am I going insane here???

Prolly not. Deadfire is lacking soul. It is a solid piece of workmanship but doesn't have much fire and fury to it and the story doesn't make a lot of sense.

- The world map makes me feel like I'm floating in an empty void. Kingmaker has so much more interesting world map.

Ya think? I haven't been too impressed by Kingmaker's map either.

- The story is too epic in scale. WTF, I just reincarnated back into my old body and now I have to go kill a giant god? I just want to go kill some rats and skeletons in a stinky dungeon, thank you very much. I want to be an unknown nobody, a blank slate, not the fucking Graywarden all over again.

Yeah the story is really derp.

I hope the game could get better later on, but I dunno if I can force myself any further.

There's a lot of good stuff in the game. I don't know if the bad stuff will be enough to stop you from enjoying it. I got good entertainment value from it but haven't really felt compelled to replay; I think ultimately I liked Pillars 1 more despite it being "objectively" worse in most ways.

You will need to ditch your AD&D nostalgia glasses though and approach the game on its own merits. The core gameplay systems are pretty damn good, except for JES's retarded decision to get rid of attrition and make everything (mostly) per-encounter; fortunately there is a god challenge to change that, but it does make the game a lot harder so I'm not sure I'd recommend it if you're playing the game fresh.

Ultimately Deadfire is just fine, it has a lot of really good qualities and is pretty well crafted all in all. It just could be a lot better than fine and that's a crying shame.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Here are some things that bug me to no end.

- In early game every character class is pretty much equal in terms of combat efficiency. Every character class can oneshot a bad guy from stealth pre-combat.

Playing on Easy I take it?

Core Rules, or Normal or whatever.

Enemies seem to hit your characters pretty reliably whether they're wearing a plate mail with shield or a simple cotton shirt.

That's because armour doesn't affect your chance to be hit. It reduces damage.

Really? OK, I didn't notice.

I have been found out, haven't I? :cry:

- There's so much fucking shit in my inventory. I haven't read even a small fraction of what all that shit is or does. Every container gives me some new item that temporarily gives +1 to Resolve or some shit like that. I already know I will never use any of that shit. Finding new stuff doesn't feel like anything. In Baldur's Gate finding a new piece of equipment felt like a huge accomplishment.

It's a Monty Haul kind of game for sure, like BG2 for example.

Only thing even remotely comparable in BG2 to POE2's flood of pointless items is the multitude of jems that can only be traded for $$$ and some unnecessary potions. Wands, scrolls and most of the potions are extremely useful in BG2. In POE2 you find all manner of vegetables, fruit, fish, meat, stones... all manner of pointless shit that just makes it a chore to find anything useful in your inventory. And all this stuff teases you by promising to be slightly useful by offering a small attribute boost. + You can sell all of that stuff for $$$ so it would be a waste not to hoard all of them, especially in the early game. It would require a serious habitual change to not feel the need to hoard everything valuable just because you can, but the game might actually be much more enjoyable if you only picked what you needed or even didn't steal anything at all.

- Characters autoheal after combat. (maybe I can disable this from options?)

There is a god challenge for that, yes.

What used to be a standard feature in all CRPGs is now THE ULTIMATE GOD CHALLENGE? Just f*cking LOL.

- I only have 1 NPC companion, the blonde chad guy, but I already want to hang him from his guts. He feels more like a soulless henchmen rather than a real person. He commented on my immoral behavior and even threatened to leave the party, which I appreciate, but mostly he just throws bland, meaningless comments about things we see and characters we meet. Nothing has any impact. Nothing matters. I want to die.

As opposed to such profoundly and subtly characterised companions as... Minsc, for example?

Subtlety is not really the issue here. The blonde chad guy simply lacks any character. The voice acting is incredibly monotone and bland. Whether you like Minsk or not, at least he had a good voice actor and an easily distinguishable personality. All fantasy characters don't need to be realistic or subtle like Game of Thrones characters. But they need to be interesting, compelling, fun and consistent. I love simple, traditional fantasy characters like the ones in Dragonlance novels.

I think ultimately I liked Pillars 1 more despite it being "objectively" worse in most ways.

I found POE1 to be much more intolerable than POE2. I forced myself to play POE1 maybe 7-8 hours because I backed it on Kickstarter for a ridiculous amount, but ultimately I just had to accept defeat and hide the game box and POE shirt and playing cards and all that shit somewhere where they wouldn't constantly remind me of the worst investment of my life.

You will need to ditch your AD&D nostalgia glasses though and approach the game on its own merits.

But... nostalgia... is... all... that's... left... for... me...

Ultimately Deadfire is just fine, it has a lot of really good qualities and is pretty well crafted all in all. It just could be a lot better than fine and that's a crying shame.

It's a damn shame, I agree. I wish I could stop comparing it to other CRPGs, but it's so damn hard...

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I have my disagreements with Sawyer but the way retarded spergs insist that fucking MAGIC has to work a certain way is not one of them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem is how he filters which "public opinions" he takes into consideration. That telemetry data of how people actually play scares me with the sheer amount of retardation possible and whether anyone takes that retardation seriously and designs the game around little Timmy playing on Story mode and failing, or little Janice banging her head against a single skeleton and dying repeatedly but not changing any tactics.

The Real Fanboy
For those that are still having problems with your Nvidia cards, Obsidian is still working on fixing it even after the OFFICIAL last patch because the Deadfire team is filled with some of the most amazing people in the world!!!

Hi everyone,

I posted this over on the Obsidian forums - feel free to reply to either post.

We are still looking into the Nvidia issue, but we haven't been able to reproduce it on our end with a wide variety of hardware. Today, I ran through some tests on a 1070 and I was getting around 40-50fps in the Neketaka Docks. It's not an ideal framerate, but it's fairly stable while moving the party and camera around. Occasionally the frame rate drops or stutters briefly, but it doesn't seem as frequent or severe as what is reported. Our profiling investigation shows that the game is heavily CPU bound. Most of the frame time is taken up by the ability, AI, and status effect systems. This means that the CPU is the bottleneck and not the GPU.

As a second test, our IT department swapped a 2080 into my rig (nice! :)), and I ran through the docks and got similar framerate and performance. This lines up because we are CPU bound. As a side note, lowering the resolution is also a good test to see if the game is GPU or CPU bound. If a lower resolution gives more frames then the GPU is the bottleneck. The 2080 confirms we are CPU bound on the upper end of hardware, and unfortunately, even with the 2080 I'm still unable to reproduce the massive stutter/locks that some are experiencing.

A few things moving forward:

• I would like to continue to look at CPU performance and see if we can get any gains by optimizing some of the above systems (abilities). I have a few ideas in mind that may work, but optimizations to key systems are risky because they can introduce bugs. We will see what we can do, and I'll keep everyone updated on if we made progress in this area. The big problem is that we just have too much stuff. In the city, we can have hundreds of active abilities and status effects, each unique with custom scripting. Many of these need to be updated each frame. It's a problem, and one that can be solved.

• As an ask to the community: can anyone please record a video on the NVidia stuttering or find one that's already been made? It will be immensely helpful to take a look at it. Thank you!

• Also, can anyone supply a new save game with this issue happening? Does this issue happen if you jump straight into a low performance area? (iroll20s on the main menu console. F-11 to jump to a map).

• There's also a reported performance problem that could be save game or achievement related. I would also be interested in getting save games from people experiencing that issue to see if we can see what's causing the freeze.

• We are aware of the Special K mod and fix. (You can view the thread here on Steam). A few programmers here looked into this last year when it was first reported, and we were unable to do anything on our end because it would require us to modify the Unity source code (which we aren't doing for Deadfire). Another unfortunate circumstance is we are running on a old version of Unity (5.6) and upgrading the engine to get the potential fix would be a significant undertaking. We are well aware this is still a problem, I'm discussing solutions with everyone to see if we can find a resolution.
Hopefully we can tackle some of these issues and make the game as best as it can be.

(Here's the link https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/bwiv2c/performance_issue_update/)

2house2fly

Magister
So with Maia's quest, if I get the guy killed and force the woman to take the missive without dealing with the stalker first are the leaders spared assassination in the ending? I've seen conflicting reports but they are all pretty old. Judging from my current playthrough however I'm quite apprehensive about Obsidian's bugfixing capabilities.
I forced the spy in Port Maje to take the missive and still got the assassination ending. Either it's based on RNG, which is the most psychotic way to determine an ending slide that I've ever heard of, or it's bugged. I'm honestly 50/50 on which of these is true.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Wait, so muscle wizards actually ARE literal muscle wizards?

This never gets old

U4nwh97.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
- Every character can use all weapons and most of the equipment. This is a huge negative for me, since I don't feel the classes to be any different. What ever happened to wizards with quarterstaves, thieves with daggers and clerics with maces? There can be no class restrictions anymore?

Any class could weild any weapon, strength permitting, in AD&D. Just with bonuses or penalties.

Blunt only for Clerics might have been an exception.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Scimitars because they look like the moon, same with sickles. Symbolism is more important than the material, since metal is also of the earth.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Well it doesn't make sense some classes can't even use some kind of weapon anyway.

Sure you might be terrible at it because you lack the skills, but you can always use it if you want to and expect to get better before being killed.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Question about Sissak in Forgotten Sanctum:
Apparently I should be able to resolve this peacefully if I give him the Warden Contract. I do have this contract, but I can't give it to him, only say that I might look for it, which leads to fighting him
Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
Nobody has got any idea about this?
So I do have to fight them spiders? :(

It was some time but I clearly remember I was able to do it the peaceful way. However you have to pick the right dialogue choices and pass the speech checks in order to be able to give him the contract. I chose to fight them though as its a fun fight against some pretty strong cipher enemies. Don't remember if they dropped anything good, maaaaybe a unique?
The thing is: I tried every available combination of non-attack dialogue choices, but they all seem to lead to a fight. I don't have any option to offer the contract (despite me having it in my inventory), I can only offer to look for it - which leads to a fight.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I'm pretty surprised withhow prone works in TB mode. It's not a stun any more basically, more of an engagement disable and that changes a lot. In RTwP it was the main thing you'd try to do in most battles, prone everyone as much as you can

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm pretty surprised withhow prone works in TB mode. It's not a stun any more basically, more of an engagement disable and that changes a lot. In RTwP it was the main thing you'd try to do in most battles, prone everyone as much as you can

From what I remember, it wasn't so hot in Deadfire real-time either, as it had a fixed, short duration (although in turn-based it's worse yet). Maybe you're mistaking it with PoE1 Prone, which actually had a duration that could be extended via stats (and could be aoe applied on crits with certain weapons and barb Carnage)?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

From what I remember, it wasn't so hot in Deadfire real-time either, as it had a fixed, short duration (although in turn-based it's worse yet). Maybe you're mistaking it with PoE1 Prone, which actually had a duration that could be extended via stats (and could be aoe applied on crits with certain weapons and barb Carnage)?
Maybe yes. I played only a little of PoE2 on release, waiting for it to be complete..
In the first PoE, Prone was king indeed, so much that Slicken , the level 1 Spell, was one of the best in the game :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom