Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Those were pretty damn cool and it doesn't really spoil that much anyway since you tend to forget about random scenes without context stitched together in a montage.

The biggest change you notice going from 6 to K2 is that the engine's performance is much more refined and smooth. In 6, the Dragon Engine often starts slowing down when multiple transparent windows are present. Doesn't happen in K2.

In terms of the gameplay changes, the most notable one is that you have to encounter teachers again to learn certain abilities, whereas in 6 quite understandably the only demand is XP, and you again have the ability to carry weapons for later use.

(Also Kamurocho Hills aren't in K2, they haven't been built yet at that point in the timeline, though you do visit the construction site)

When I said Kamurocho Hills I was actually thinking about the street that goes along with it which I forget its name. But it's cool to see that they tried to keep the Yakuza 2 XP/Combat mechanics as much as possible in the new engine/design.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
dm4gmv.png

God damn I love these games.

Fishy

Savant
Good old Kiryu asking the questions that really matter:

8214CD4DD69C8C019B904C2797EFBB7B32E624CD

And for my most WTF moment in this game, the random rooftop where a purple ninja is waiting for you on a mini artificial football pitch with a Christmas tree:

57F04D58C707CC8DF948A722E747A3678CFC2701

Bashed his head with the football but was very disappointed that the tree wasn't usable as a weapon.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well you can diminish that disappointment by remembering that we never got to use an 80's brick cellphone as a weapon either.

(Also you're going to love it when you encounter the golden samurai guy in Majima's side story mode)

Fishy

Savant
Yeah, finished the main storyline at the weekend, but haven't touched the Majima chapters yet. Curious to see what balance they strike between Zero Majima and the comic-relief Majima from K1/K2.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
*ahem* :incline:

JbhdfNP.png

(was going to try for Dead Souls, but IIRC there's a Level 99 trophy and I'm on level 66 on my old savegame... probably just gonna do another playthrough since the platinum seems like a pain in the ass)

edit: technically they could have done install screens on the PS4 since A: all discs are installed to HDD no exception and serve only as an auth key and B: you can actually allow execution of the game mid install (some games do this to offer limited gameplay while you wait for the PS4 os to install the game. Shame that they just dropped it.

Naraya

Arcane
I have finished main story of Yakuza Kiwami 2 today. Previously I've finished YK and Y0 (in that order). I play games since '86 and I honestly don't remember when I had SO MUCH plain, simple, engaging fun playing a game. This series is golden and I can't wait for next games.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Finally started really getting into Yakuza 0, which is my first Yakuza game. Fucking incredible. I have to say, this may be one of the best games I've ever played. It's hilarious, dramatic, fun, exciting, lively. Just when I think the game can't possibly throw another insanely amusing encounter at me, I'm proven wrong. Even in the karaoke mini-game, you can tell how much time went into creating just one song. God, I love this game.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
80% of the effort in producing a 3D game goes into the technology as well, 20% goes into the content.

The Yakuza games are what you get when you flip that around and put 80% of the effort into content and 20% into graffics.

Vaarna_Aarne

I feel that's also a part of it. When you have a limited amount of time and money (instead of effectively unlimited AAA style), and aren't expected to just do THE PINNACLE OF TECHNOLOGY, you are liberated to re-use those assets and instead think of what you can do with them.

Yakuza 0 is so damn funny.

"YOUDA-CHAN!!!!"
"zzz.."

I'm loving the Cabaret scenes. That above part with Youda, and the part where they're spying on Yuki.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, that's one of the funniest ones in what's a very funny series of side quests.

"Majima-san? Is what we're doing ethical?"
"Of course it is! We are protecting Yuki-chan's innocence!"

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
Vaarna_Aarne do you know what thugs are saying when you are fighting them?
It sounds like "urraaaaa" to me. It makes me feel like I'm in Borodino instead of Kamurocho...

Vaarna_Aarne

Well I don't speak Japanese, I've just picked up some phrases from various games, movies, anime, etc, and in case of "urraaa" that seems to be just one of their self-psyche sounds they make (well, a lot of the thug sounds are just these). In terms of actual words and phrases, an easy type to spot are any "Kono ____" line since with the goons that's always some sort of "you X" threat or insult.

Man, the zap gun...

It's beyond powerful. Really helped me gain a shitload of money against Mr. Shakedown. It's also been useful in situations where my health is low, and fighting melee would spell certain death. I try not to use it too much, as even on hard it makes the fights too easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom