Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I just now find out that our PC from the saga is murdered in a table-top campaign. A being of demi-god status.
Considering that the person who murders the PC is Viekang who then somehow becomes a Slayer even though the entirety of the taint of Bhaal is supposed to be gone to allow your Bhaalspawn to make a Highlander-style "there can be only one" choice, and considering that the identity of Abdel Adrian as the Bhaalspawn is really vague, it's not even certain if that guy is actually him. I think they might have done a soft retcon to that.

Codex Year of the Donut
BG2 was a serious game for serious gamers only
Aerie: You seem to be limping, Jan. Have you been hurt recently?
Jan: No, lass, I’m not hurt and the limp is not new. I’ve had it as long as you’ve known me. ‘Tis a wooden leg you see. I was smuggling crackers into Waterdeep several years back (The Council had outlawed them due to near constant cracker-related debauchery, you see... I couldn’t let THAT pass. The Council had sealed off all ports and mobilized the army to stop all cracker entry. The city was shut down, martial law was declared and people huddled in their homes for fear and want of crackers. I could not stand idly by while such persecution was visited on the somewhat innocent peoples of Waterdeep. So I smuggled crackers. Salted, unsalted, and herb-riddled alike, it mattered not. All came in and all were consumed in secret orgies of cracker-related tomfoolery. Then came the unpleasant business with the hanging. I hadn’t seen Picklefeather’s eyes bulge like that since that Wyvern kicked him in the ba... (Oops! Innocent elvish lass, have to watch the tongue) uh... in the arm. (Yes, that will do.) The moral of the story is, you reap what you sow. I still own a warehouse full of saltines. I send a box each year to all my friends. Seem to have fewer friends each year as a result, but that’s to be expected.
Aerie: What does that have to do with your wooden leg?
Jan: What wooden leg? I have no wooden leg?
Aerie: Grrrr! You’re IMPOSSIBLE!
Jan: Why yes, I suppose I am, at that. (grin)

hexer

some extra bits of info from their FB page https://www.facebook.com/baldursgate3/

"An ancient evil has returned to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out.
The fate of Faerûn lies in your hands.
Alone, you may resist.
But together, you can overcome.
Gather your party."

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like it's called Baldur's Gate 3 after all! It'll be interesting to see if they establish any continuity.

Also, those were some fairly gruesome visuals for the teaser trailer of a mainstream game. I wonder if it's an indication of the general tone.

v1rus

Arcane
fuck me, im hyped af :negative:

Huge disappointment, here i come

EDIT - If theres a save transfer option, thats it, im done. Theres nothing that gets me hard as much as save transfer does

Delterius

Arcane
BG2 was a serious game for serious gamers only
Aerie: You seem to be limping, Jan. Have you been hurt recently?
Jan: No, lass, I’m not hurt and the limp is not new. I’ve had it as long as you’ve known me. ‘Tis a wooden leg you see. I was smuggling crackers into Waterdeep several years back (The Council had outlawed them due to near constant cracker-related debauchery, you see... I couldn’t let THAT pass. The Council had sealed off all ports and mobilized the army to stop all cracker entry. The city was shut down, martial law was declared and people huddled in their homes for fear and want of crackers. I could not stand idly by while such persecution was visited on the somewhat innocent peoples of Waterdeep. So I smuggled crackers. Salted, unsalted, and herb-riddled alike, it mattered not. All came in and all were consumed in secret orgies of cracker-related tomfoolery. Then came the unpleasant business with the hanging. I hadn’t seen Picklefeather’s eyes bulge like that since that Wyvern kicked him in the ba... (Oops! Innocent elvish lass, have to watch the tongue) uh... in the arm. (Yes, that will do.) The moral of the story is, you reap what you sow. I still own a warehouse full of saltines. I send a box each year to all my friends. Seem to have fewer friends each year as a result, but that’s to be expected.
Aerie: What does that have to do with your wooden leg?
Jan: What wooden leg? I have no wooden leg?
Aerie: Grrrr! You’re IMPOSSIBLE!
Jan: Why yes, I suppose I am, at that. (grin)
you should have killed that ogre tbh

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
TLDR info from Gameinformer: https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-201...ii-is-based-on-dungeons-dragons-fifth-edition

Possibly not isometric.

Baldur's Gate III Is Based On Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition

Larian Studios, the developers behind the excellent Divinity: Original Sin and its sequel reached, out to Wizards of the Coast after the original shortly after the release of Divinity: Original Sin to start discussing what a Baldur's Gate III would look like, but it wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger. After a lot of talks at shows and elsewhere, WotC reached out in 2016 to get the wheels turning.

Baldur's Gate III began pre-production during Divinity: Original Sin 2 development, moving into full development swing in 2017. Larian is massively staffed up for the epic affair, with over 200 internally working on the project and 100 external assisting in development.

Details outside of the teaser trailer that just debuted at the Stadia E3 presentation are scarce, but we chatted with Larian founder Swen Vincke and pried out a few things. Here's what we know so far.
  • You'll be able to create your own characters for use in single and multi-player experiences. Each party member will have their own needs, wants, etc.
  • The Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition ruleset was ported quite faithfully, and then modified accordingly to fit to a video game.
  • Players can get creative to solve problems and situations. Vincke says, "Taking the next step for our RPGs, not taking anything away, but only adding more."
  • Baldur's Gate III is Larian's biggest production ever.
  • When asked if the game would be isometric "CRPG-style" as with the previous Divinity: Original Sin titles, we didn't get an answer – which means it's likely some different form of presentation completely.
  • There will be no Kickstarter, and there is currently no release date, but Larian is interested in getting community feedback about features and more, as they have for previous games, and working closely with them to ensure it turns out great.
  • PC and Stadia are the only announced platforms for Baldur's Gate III at this time
For our review of Larian Studios' last game, Divinity: Original Sin 2, head here.

Elex

Arbiter
No invasion by Illithid has taken place in the current timeline of Baldur's Gate. This means the game takes place either in the "current year", or moves the timeline along.
the next D&D campaign book is about Baldur's gate, so it's probally a new event.

Shadenuat

Arcane
When asked if the game would be isometric "CRPG-style" as with the previous Divinity: Original Sin titles, we didn't get an answer – which means it's likely some different form of presentation completely.
Dragon Age clone.

jf8350143

Liturgist
"but there's no word on when Baldur's Gate 3 will be released, and the only platforms Larian will talk about are PC and, wait for it, Google's stream-dream, Stadia."

Only PC announced at the moment and won't be a Stadia exclusive, however epic is still out there.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I remember DOS2 intro, and judging by how important sorceress in it was in the game; we can expect Illithids in first chapter or as some mobs and plot is about completely different thing :M

I am fucking betting on Dragon Age clone. Full VO, cinematic cutscenes, Larian goes big.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-everything-we-know/
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/larian-studios-shares-its-vision-for-baldurs-gate-3-interview

Coming to Steam and GOG, no Epic: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ba...-the-epic-games-store-larian-studios-confirms

"You will see Steam pages pop up, you will see GOG pages pop up, but no Epic pages will pop up," says Swen Vincke, founder of Larian Studios. "I don't see why not; I don't believe in exclusives, I prefer to be everywhere."

Vincke's decision is driven by the desire to get players playing their games on all the platforms they can. Larian Studios' previous games, like the Divinity: Original Sin series, have made the jump to consoles quite well.

"Everything we've done in the past has been about adapting to the divide that you're playing on, because the device shouldn't matter when it comes to playing our games," says Vincke. "That's the only way they're going to spread, so I really don't want to locked down to one platform or another."

Press release: https://gematsu.com/2019/06/baldurs-gate-iii-announced-for-pc-stadia

Created in close collaboration with the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, Baldur’s Gate III is based off current D&D mechanics and spells and is the official new chapter in the legendary series.

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.

The teaser trailer shows a return of a malevolent presence to Baldur’s Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out, corrupting everything that remains in the Forgotten Realms. Alone you may resist, but together you can overcome. Gather your party. https://youtu.be/OcP0WdH7rTs

Baldur’s Gate means so much to so many people. It’s a great responsibility but I think we’re ready for it,” said Swen Vincke, Creative Director at Larian Studios. “We’re all about creating reactive, systemic worlds that respect player agency and having a chance to apply our team’s skillset in a universe as rich as Dungeons & Dragons is a lot of fun. We’re working very closely with Wizards to bring an unprecedented level of immersion to the realm of Faerun and I can’t wait to show the world what our team cooked up.”

“Partnering with Larian, a studio that combines a remarkable history of critically-acclaimed titles with a genuine passion for one of the most iconic locations in Dungeons & Dragons, has been a terrific experience,” said Chris Cocks, President of Wizards of the Coast. “We believe fans of the Baldur’s Gate saga – and even those new to the series – will be thrilled to step into this epic story.”

Larian Studios plans to work closely with the global community to bring the coveted series to life, with more news to follow over the course of the year.

Delterius

Arcane
I just now find out that our PC from the saga, who is a being of demi-god power, is murdered in a table-top campaign.
The_Death_of_Alexander_the_Great_after_the_painting_by_Karl_von_Piloty_1886.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
“We started with a very rigorous port of the ruleset. Then we started looking at what worked and what didn’t work. Because obviously, it’s a video game, so not everything translates very well. We modified where it made sense to start modifying,” Vincke said.

One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”
This was an issue PoE2 encountered when porting to turn-based, high miss rates were too noticeable when combat is slower

Fairfax

Arcane
I am fucking betting on Dragon Age clone. Full VO, cinematic cutscenes, Larian goes big.
I got a similar vibe as well. I suppose it could also be a fake RtwP like KOTOR.

One important thing in the interview with Sven, ladies and gentlemen. He explicitly, very carefully, COMPLETELY AVOIDS ANY MENTION of Abdel Adrian by name, or whether he is or isn't CHARNAME. There is hope.
He dies in Murder in Baldur's Gate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Coming to Steam and GOG, no Epic: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ba...-the-epic-games-store-larian-studios-confirms

"You will see Steam pages pop up, you will see GOG pages pop up, but no Epic pages will pop up," says Swen Vincke, founder of Larian Studios. "I don't see why not; I don't believe in exclusives, I prefer to be everywhere."

Vincke's decision is driven by the desire to get players playing their games on all the platforms they can. Larian Studios' previous games, like the Divinity: Original Sin series, have made the jump to consoles quite well.

"Everything we've done in the past has been about adapting to the divide that you're playing on, because the device shouldn't matter when it comes to playing our games," says Vincke. "That's the only way they're going to spread, so I really don't want to locked down to one platform or another."

lol why did this happen? A deal gone bad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom