Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That it's set in Baldur's Gate rather than a continuation of Bhaalspawn adventures is good news to me. Other information is a bit worrying.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-be-at-the-pc-gaming-show/

Baldur's Gate 3 will be at the PC Gaming Show

After making our 2017 Game of the Year, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Larian Studios set its sights on the biggest name in RPGs: Dungeons & Dragons. And not just any D&D story, but the D&D story, at least when it comes to PC gaming. The developer has teamed up with Wizards of the Coast to bring back Baldur's Gate with its first new game since 2001, and you can find out more about Baldur's Gate 3 at the 2019 PC Gaming Show.

Larian Studios CEO Swen Vincke and Wizards of the Coast President Chris Cocks will be appearing at this year's show to share more about the relationship between Larian and WotC, and how it evolved.

twitch.tv/pcgamer or on Facebook, YouTube, or Twitter. Over 25 games will appear at this year's show—for a taste of what to expect, read more here.

Sounds like just more talk.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I’ll be damned, no Bhaalspawn. That is a welcome development, the rest I am not so sure about.

MrEvilGuy

Educated
Their knowledge of the old games' rule-set is only relevant if you expect this to be a faithful game made just like those, which at this point is a silly expectation. The question now is larger scale DoS (think reboot Xcom but an RPG) or Dragon Age.

Why do people here think that Larian would ever make it into Dragon Age? BioWare cashed in on Mass Effect and made a “spiritual successor” to Baldur’s Gate that modelled itself on Mass Effect and borrowed a few loose elements from the Infinity Engine, like party-based combat and RTWP (unthinkable for RPGs at the time).

Larian, after proving that turn-based RPGs can sell very well with DOS 2, will certainly model the game on that. The question is how much of the original BG are they going to incorporate to stretch their DOS model—ultimately is it going to look more like BG or DOS? That’s why TB vs RTWP is a legitimate question to worry about, but isometric vs 3rd person is not.

If WotC wanted a 3rd person Baldur’s Gate they wouldn’t have asked Larian. They’d have turned to CD Projekt Red or Square Enix or whoever makes those kind of games nowadays.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
I've seen some heated discussions in a lot of places since the announcement. so what's the concensus on codex? RTWP or turned based.
There's the BG purists who want RTwP, the D&D purists who want turn-based, and others, I don't think there's a consensus as such.

Terra

Cipher
vOOOAAU.jpg
SoD was ok.
The dungeons were really good and probably the highlight of the game along with itemization(a lot of unique items that really stood out.)
Writing was poor and a lot of the outdoors areas were rather small.

All this post shows is why it's bad to "hoard" your IP like this. Let multiple developers all take a crack at making a game and the players get more options.
Sod is the most underrated game on the dex and there's good reasons for it.You have to get the EE baldur's gate wich is just milking the license and not adding much. It makes everything to trigger the average codexer. First it gives all your gold to refugees and you can do nothing to prevent it, second it push some political agenda with an extremely poorly written trasngender npc. You can completely avoid that npc of course, its not such a big deal to me but people started to hate them for that. I only played it recently so maybe they patched most of the cringe and lecturing. Environments are very good, stand with originals, combat is really good and challenging, good ol' 2E .Enough to forgive a bit of cringe, this time its 100% original work.
It wasn't even the in-game NPC that ticked me off, that merely elicited a knowing eye roll. It was the post that got bandied about from that beambard chick who made no secret of the fact that she wanted to shove diversity shit into the game, regardless of whether it fit or not. Given that your primary audience for SoD are the old guard who played & enjoyed the Infinity Engine games many years before the socjus cancer infested entertainment media, publicising her intent to inject that shit into the game across the internet just prior to release doubtless did the game no favours. Sure, you may have got some retweets from a few socjus acolytes but as the poor sales show, they don't buy games and most assuredly have no interest in expansions to decades old games. Making it an expansion rather than standalone certainly didn't help, as the original Shadowrun Dragonfall demonstrated.

It's a real shame that that garbage coloured the release of the game negatively, because I really enjoyed SoD for the most part, never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd get to go on another proper adventure with the old crew, but here it was. I was doing a complete modded playthrough of the whole saga at the time and was surprised how much I ended up liking it overall.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I can go with either RTwP or turn-based. I'd lean more towards turn-based because it just fits into an RPG better, but I can't lie... I enjoy the sheer chaotic fuckery that RTwP can sometimes devolve into and requires some, "oh god, oh god, what do I do" thinking.

I only hope that no matter what system they go with, the combat is easy to read. I despise when there's 20 particle effect sources on the screen and making things look like Disneyland.

Their knowledge of the old games' rule-set is only relevant if you expect this to be a faithful game made just like those, which at this point is a silly expectation. The question now is larger scale DoS (think reboot Xcom but an RPG) or Dragon Age.

Knowing what system they used is pretty superficial knowledge, so if they don't even know that it makes it sound like III is gonna be Bladders Gator in name only. Could be a brainfart though

Abhay

Augur
Turn based combat seems more likely (logical for the studio) to be introduced in BG3 as well, especially when they are talking about bringing the best of both Divinity and BG series for BG3.

I have no idea about the ruleset.
What are the 5th edition rules? Is it great for D&D adventure? Does it even allow turn based combat?

Mud'

Scholar
I was convinced this would be tb with them reusing their dos engine, but boy was I wrong. Sven is mighty cagey responding simple questions like is it isometric and how will the combat be... That can only mean that it won't be either and it will be a huge departure from their previous games and the series itself.

I'm thinking third person action adventure, mass effect, dragon age inquisition, Witcher 3 style. With 2 companions in active party and cool down based abilities.

So...Dragon Age Origins type of gameplay? With the whole tactical overview or your character just going at it with auto attack.
I seriously hope that the gameplay is TB, because i just cant imagine how you can coordinate doing the whole Divinity elemental combos like rain+fire= vapor + lighting = lighting vapor in real time while you have 2 fighters and 2 casters pushing your shit in, in real time or even just moving things around to cheese the encounters.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder how they will handle Viconia, whould they will bring hr back. One of the most cringeworthy characters along with that fairy retard and the only cleric for evil party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom