Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Curratum

Witcher 3 meets Baldur's Gate.

Open world, icons, clearing out nests of Illithids...

My body is ready.....

:negative:

If you actually took the time to read a bit, you'd see that it's going to be heavily party-centric and maybe you wouldn't go likening it to Witcher 3.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why do people here think that Larian would ever make it into Dragon Age? BioWare cashed in on Mass Effect and made a “spiritual successor” to Baldur’s Gate that modelled itself on Mass Effect and borrowed a few loose elements from the Infinity Engine, like party-based combat and RTWP (unthinkable for RPGs at the time).

Larian, after proving that turn-based RPGs can sell very well with DOS 2, will certainly model the game on that. The question is how much of the original BG are they going to incorporate to stretch their DOS model—ultimately is it going to look more like BG or DOS? That’s why TB vs RTWP is a legitimate question to worry about, but isometric vs 3rd person is not.

If WotC wanted a 3rd person Baldur’s Gate they wouldn’t have asked Larian. They’d have turned to CD Projekt Red or Square Enix or whoever makes those kind of games nowadays.

It's not like there's been a ton of big budget D&D games the last 15 years because they just rake in the dough. I think your premise is flawed in that if EA, Ubisoft and the like had interest in spending a massive budget on this stuff then it would have happened already, but I also don't think it'll be a smaller budget title. Think in the middle. A large increase in team size and budget over DoS2 is going somewhere. It's not going to be the same type of game, and expectations for sales will be higher. Like everything else, the more mainstream your goal, the more mainstream the game. It's not going to be Pillars of Eternity, and it's not going to be a reskin of DoS2. It's SOMETHING else, whatever that is.

Dragon Age Origins is a good example of a game trying to be an IE homage and a mainstream modern game at the same time. I don't think anyone expects this to play the same as that, especially since the RtwP combat wouldn't really work well online IMO, but I think it's just a good framework to keep in mind when wondering how you take Baldur's Gate and make it a mid-tier title in 2019.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lol this thing is a writer for larian.

Who did what and how should we feel about it?

Kevin is a big loud bear like Tim Cain's husband and wrote the dwarf in D:OS 2. It'd be more beneficial to look at/criticize that particular character instead of his tweets. Not like he's running the show.

Additionally
https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/1009044203937116160
Side note: One of the situations I wrote in DOS2 was a fairly obscure side quest involving a lich called Xhaxh. One of my goals was to test how far a player would go for an intangible reward.
https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/942138334427664389
Then there is me. I wrote Beast and a variety of other things. My favourite situations I wrote are Beast's sex scene, and the executions in the Blackpits.
https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/954358992784052225
There are a few scenes I wrote for DOS2 that I am sort of proud of. The sexy Beast scene is one. The quest with the family in the Blackpits (and Gwydian Rince/the White Magister/Jonathan). Gareth's... digging scene. (Keeping things spoiler-free.)

A personal favourite is the Driftwood poet, Barstan Tungs. After you answer his questions, he composes a poem. I made it all rhyme no matter what the player choices were, which was... a complicated thing to do. It ended up really nice.

Despite Kickstarting it, I still haven't played D:OS 2 yet so I can't speak for the quality or lack-thereof of any of this.

Just one quick example: within the second novel, Abdel Adrian has sex with Bohdi.

I wish this were an option in the game. Baby got back. https://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/90483/1428321-baldurs_gate_2___bodhi.jpg

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh, one more thing: the way they word it, the writers clearly left it open whether Abdel Adrian and Viekang are actually the last two Bhaalspawn. Considering Imoen is alive, it makes sense.

Also, although Bhaal is once more alive, he is extremely weak.
Apparently this Imoen is a clone of the original one. I doubt she has any of her divine spark left. Also didn't Irenicus take all her divine spark from her?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hey, so member that ilithid paladin concept art and how we all laughed? Right? Now we know that's not paladin that's ex flaming fist. Soo, looks like Beamdog already had a plot. So it's either plot is provided by wizards, larian stole it, or it's a collaboration of larian and beamdog.

Bonus:

Curratum

Witcher 3 meets Baldur's Gate.

Open world, icons, clearing out nests of Illithids...

My body is ready.....

:negative:

If you actually took the time to read a bit, you'd see that it's going to be heavily party-centric and maybe you wouldn't go likening it to Witcher 3.

Because there never were party ARPG's....

:notsureifserious:

There were party ARPGs and all of them had very little in common with Witcher 3.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/2530057

Larian Studios is making Baldur's Gate 3!

a826df728b45959f9320ae7c7ad218c3_original.png

Welcome to the first edition of the Larian Gazette!

The Gazette prides itself on bringing you the latest and greatest breaking news about all things Larian, and the insider stories that go with it.

Yesterday‘s headline was the show-stopping, heart-pounding revelation that “LARIAN STUDIOS IS MAKING BALDUR’S GATE 3!” A teaser trailer of our new role-playing game was unveiled yesterday, and it was so spectacularly intense that the internet went into auto-censorship mode. In case you missed it - and you have the stomach for it - you can find the uncut version here:

The Gazette was more than a little intrigued by the mind flayer invasion of Baldur’s Gate. Our best reporter pursued their slimy trail to discover how Larian convinced Wizards of the Coast to let them unleash their madness on the crown jewel of the Sword Coast.

The brave reporter went deep undercover and resurfaced with a harrowing tale involving no less than the brutal abduction of Wizards’ own Mike Mearls! Interpol has been alerted of the situation, and you, dear reader, may rest assured that the Gazette is monitoring the situation closely! In the meantime, please enjoy our full video report:

For more breaking news and behind the scenes stories about everything Larian, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter at baldursgate3.game. You've helped us make two amazing games already, dear reader, and your reactions and feedback as we post updates will be as valuable as ever. We will not be doing any more Kickstarter updates so signing up for the newsletter is the definitive way to stay posted.

You can of course also follow us on social media, and click Youtube’s notification bell, just to make sure you never miss the many shenanigans and investigative journalism to come.

Speaking of social media: try using the hashtags #gatheryourparty, #baldursgate3, and #bg3 when tweeting to see our brand new Mindflayer Emoji!

Finally, please make sure you wishlist the game here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1086940/Baldurs_Gate_III/

a5c02d0b606e4fa030204f3b03b3a5b2_original.png

© 2019 WIZARDS OF THE COAST. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. WIZARDS OF THE COAST, BALDUR’S GATE, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE LOGOS ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF WIZARDS OF THE COAST LLC

© 2019 LARIAN STUDIOS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. LARIAN STUDIOS IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF ARRAKIS NV, AFFILIATE OF LARIAN STUDIOS GAMES LTD.

ALL COMPANY NAMES, BRAND NAMES, TRADEMARKS AND LOGOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.

Cael

Arcane
This is going to be one of those "We come in peace, running away from our oppressive fellows! Don't hurt us! Let us live in peace together!" *introduces illithid seme- I mean, tadpoles into the town's water supply*

alyvain

Learned
Speaking of social media: try using the hashtags #gatheryourparty, #baldursgate3, and #bg3 when tweeting to see our brand new Mindflayer Emoji!

• What? Boo is outraged! See his fury! It's small, so look close. Trust me, it's there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom