Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
don't worry Child, everything will be explained thou in time when they finally show the gameplay.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you saying third party DRM John Keel? Your technospeak has me confused.
No, I'm saying that Sven is Excited mostly by Stadia because they can put insane spec requirement for the game and not give a fuck, as it's going to be computed off-site by google. (that's the democratic part, everyone can play cinematic game even if poor AF, cause that's what is democracy right ?)

If you play the game locally like a non-retarded person, you'll have to deal with that
What the fuck are you talking about? It will take years, or even a decade for Stadia to pick up (if it survives at all), until than it will be a miniscule part of the market. Most countries won't even have Stadia at first year for fucks sake. These changes don't happen overnight. Why would Larian release an unoptimized mess, when 90% of the market will still purchase the game regularly, and only a few percent will use Stadia for the first year?

Sawyer reads this thread for sure

See, Epic was right not implementing community forums? :M

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What the fuck are you talking about? It will take years, or even a decade for Stadia to pick up (if it survives at all), until than it will be a miniscule part of the market. Most countries won't even have Stadia at first year for fucks sake. These changes don't happen overnight. Why would Larian release an unoptimized mess, when 90% of the market will still purchase the game regularly, and only a few percent will use Stadia for the first year?

If it plays as well as preview event attendees said it did, I don't think it'll take 10 years. However yes, it's certainly not going to be a major force when this comes out (assuming that's within a year or so).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Steam forums are great. The hilarity of people arguing endlessly is just priceless.
giphy.gif

MrEvilGuy

Educated
Lots of stupid negativity here—this isn’t 2008, and PC gaming is vastly different than it was in those depressing years. For those of you who don’t remember, Dragon Age Origins was originally marketed as the “spiritual successor” to Baldur’s Gate. So it makes that sense people are drawing comparisons to that game.

But, as has been pointed out, Larian is not BioWare and has, more than any other developer, pushed turn-based, isometric RPG mechanics into the PC mainstream.

Unlike all that shit that was released in the mid-to-late 2000s, Larian does not have a publisher, and is not frantically trying to make it console-friendly (D:OS 1+2 both have excellent controller support without sacrificing keyboard and mouse controls—having support for Stradia controller does not indicate a dumbing down of systems, but it does likely preclude RTWP as others have said).

Taken out of context, the WotC quote about simplifying rules and focusing purely on story sounds bad, but he’s more likely addressing the differences in implementing D&D 5th edition to a cRPG versus implementing previous D&D editions. It’s ridiculous to think he’s describing the entirety of BG 3 in that one statement, a game he’s not even working on.

I’m not saying anything new, I’m just summing up what others have already pointed out: that the most likely outcome is that Larian is making an isometric, turn-based RPG, or some hybrid variation of one, because they want to create a new mainstream market, they want to create a mainstream desire for isometric, turn-based RPGs. Larian wants to be the Fortnite of isometric, turn-based cRPGs. This is why ‘Baldur’s Gate 3’ is the appropriate name: the legacy of BG has always been to reach into the mainstream.

The ultimate question I have is, if they want to capture Baldur’s Gate’s feel of expansive exploration, will turn-based trash mob combat make that impossible? D:OS has detailed small worlds, and from their interviews that’s not what they’re doing with BG 3.

I’ve never played PoE 2: does the turn-based mode break the fluidity of exploration in that game?

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Well here's one difference: Divinity Fallen Heroes is still a thing also.

Larian understands that you can appeal to your core fanbase and a broader audience at the same time, all you need to do is make two different games.

Nowadays everyone is playing both sides of the table to maximize profit.

to hardcore RPG gamers: This game will be old-school to the core, worry not!

to casual console popamolers: This game represents an evolution and the next logical step! It will be fun, you'll see!

In the end, we know which party gets the short end of the stick... :negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The company's changed, but the stages are still the same.

2ewmtn7.png

I'm already at Stage 5: Dungeons and Dragon's Dogma with Co-op. Pretty easy to do since I was never invested in this or Larian to begin wtih.

Sawyer reads this thread for sure

Remember when this guy was against insulting his customers? Well, that's brain damage for you.

Mud'

Scholar
Lots of stupid negativity here—this isn’t 2008, and PC gaming is vastly different than it was in those depressing years. For those of you who don’t remember, Dragon Age Origins was originally marketed as the “spiritual successor” to Baldur’s Gate. So it makes that sense people are drawing comparisons to that game.

The ultimate question I have is, if they want to capture Baldur’s Gate’s feel of expansive exploration, will turn-based trash mob combat make that impossible? D:OS has detailed small worlds, and from their interviews that’s not what they’re doing with BG3.

I guess that the right compassion would be Pillars of Eternity since it also was a "Spiritual successor" of BG.

As for the ultimate question, if they really want to go with TB and a classic feel, maybe they will implement a world travel map with random encounters in between and most towns/villages/ruins having small sizes with hand made encounters made for TB, the only problem would be the random encounters/events since you would need to make a fuck ton hand made to be fun, but mob encounters do not fit TB at all (in PnP its a fucking pain in the ass too unless you have a mage who can dish out fireballs on clusters of enemies).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom