Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could play a life simulator game, which time peroid would you prefer?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Ideas: Ancient greece, Rome, Medieval Europe, Eastern Europe during the mongol invasion, Viking age, Rennainace, Napoleon, WWI and the roaring twenties, etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The only reason I play the shitty Assassin's Creed games is to wander around ancient cities. I'd love for that to become a genre of its own, especially in first-person. Which would I prefer? Probably Victorian London or 1920's New York. Occupied Paris in WW2 would be interesting. For much older times, Rome at the height of the Empire period jumps out.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if at one point we will have something akin to Google Maps where you can walk around in cities, even from different times?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Mobster during Prohibition.
Knight during Medieval times.
Spy during the Cold War.
Oil tycoon during the industrial revolution

Lemming42

Arcane
Always thought it'd be cool to have a game like this where nothing happens and there's no shitty combat system or anything, but the devs just focus on making a world that truly feels "alive", maybe with interesting NPCs with stories to tell you. Euro Truck Simulator but in the Old West or some shit.

It could be a genuinely innovative and useful way of learning history, going around a faithful (or as faithful as possible) recreation of a historical area and talking to people in the world who'll tell you historically accurate information in an engaging way.

Seconding DalekFlay's suggestion, I'd love to walk around Victorian London. See all the fancy dresses and hats, then go to the poorer districts to laugh in the faces of the tuberculosis-suffering street urchins.

BR4ZIL

Novice
Obviously 16-17th century europe, the time where a man could wear the most flamboyant clothing and hats possible, use a large codpiece to intimidate everyone and go to war dressed like that
Landsknechts_01.jpg

Obviously 16-17th century europe, the time where a man could wear the most flamboyant clothing and hats possible, use a large codpiece to intimidate everyone and go to war dressed like that
Landsknechts_01.jpg

Beautiful picture, but you gotta figure, in reality, these were terrible times. Constant warfare over political, social and religious issues, still occasional plagues and famines, and all that fun stuff. Getting shot by a musket in those days was also a really bad way to go. Unlike modern rifles, which shoot thin and sharp projectiles at great force, muskets shot plodding thick balls of lead at a very slow speed, so instead of passing through the person's body, they would transfer all their momentum into the flesh, causing tremendous amounts of pain and suffering. From what I understand, most people died from shock.

As far as the OP, I would be down with any cool historical setting. It's sad that year after year, game companies invent or use all these mostly retarded settings (e.g. Divinity OS universe, or Pathfinder or Pillars) when they could just use really cool stuff from history. You have 200,000 years to work with, about 3,000 of those we have very detailed knowledge about, and a gazellion of cool settings within that.

Joan of Arc, Saladin, Ghenghiz Khan, Musashi, Columbus, Magellan, Charlemagne, Marius, Tamerlane, Nevsky, Ashoka, Livingstone, Darius, Attila, Louis XIVth, there is almost an infinite list of cool stuff.

Ovg

Cipher
1900 (or 1880s) - 1918 (or 1935)

All ideologies, a lot of stuff from colonial ventures to war I, the medical breakthroughs, the social change...

A lot of shit to do

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Probably some lesser known (from a westerner perspective) ancient civ.
SJWs always scream about muh colonialism and white privilege yet the best they can come up is putting kangz in ancient/medieval europe.
How about a "realistic" game (akin to Kingdom Come) set in ancient china or ancient india? Mesopotamia? The middle east before itzslam?

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Stone age!

Oooga boooga, bug knarr toff!
3kzpxu9.jpg

"We must gather the clans to fight off that vicious cave bear or humanity is surely doomed"

Morkar Left

Landsknechts_01.jpg

Beautiful picture, but you gotta figure, in reality, these were terrible times. Constant warfare over political, social and religious issues, still occasional plagues and famines, and all that fun stuff. Getting shot by a musket in those days was also a really bad way to go. Unlike modern rifles, which shoot thin and sharp projectiles at great force, muskets shot plodding thick balls of lead at a very slow speed, so instead of passing through the person's body, they would transfer all their momentum into the flesh, causing tremendous amounts of pain and suffering. From what I understand, most people died from shock.

Yeah, if you'regoing for really, really living there I would chose the 90's in Europe. Most comfort, security, privacy and freedom of speech.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom