Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Misco Jones

Savant

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Just beat 0. Excellent game from start to finish. One of my favorites, for sure. However...

What the hell do I play now?! Implore me, what game will not pale in comparison to the greatness of Yakuza 0?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd say Kiwami 1 should be next, unlike the others Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 happen pretty back-to-back (and Kiwami 1 is the part of the story that's the most necessary for all the subsequent games).

Modron

Arcane
Haven't been loving Kiwami 2 as much as Zero and Kiwami 1 but I imagine that is part of the growing pains of moving to a new engine, combat doesn't have enough variety of heat moves and situations in which said heat moves can be deployed for my tastes. Still a good game and worth the cost of admission...

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nothing feels the same after you see firm and proper Goro Majima.

The opening scene with him makes me want to have someone like that to play in Yakuza

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Moar Yakuza.

Thinking of going straight to Kiwami 2. Think it's a good idea? I'm hoping it's different enough from 0 to make back-to-back Yakuza playthroughs enjoyable.

Just hope that it will run fine for you. Had to refund Kiwami 2, because it constantly crashed, whereas I had no problems at all in Y0 and Kiwami 1. Seems to be the fault of the new engine.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Neither of the Kiwamis can compare at all to Yakuza 0's plot for both MCs. The writing was so much better in that one.

New engine looks good but it's similar enough to not be a *revolutionary* step forward. 0 is still goat.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I personally prefer the Dragon Engine combat to 0's and Kiwami's. It feels much more fluid and responsive to me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yakuza performed well on PC: https://www.pcgamer.com/sega-now-considers-yakuza-a-multi-platform-series/

Also regarding more Atlus games on PC, the ball is now in Atlus's court.

Sega now considers Yakuza a multi-platform series
PC consideration is now part of the process.

Yakuza's arrival on PC has been a welcome one, and we've very much embraced Kiryu and his pals as they brawl, date and dance their way through Kamurocho. With three Yakuza games out on Steam, Sega now considers it a multi-platform series, though it's not ready to make any firm announcements about future games.

"To make a quality PC port is the key," says Sega's executive vice president of publishing, John Clark. He explains that Sega has prioritised games like Yakuza that have a pre-existing audience. He adds that Yakuza has been a success on PC and resonated in Japan as well. Going forward, PC is going to continue to be in the mix.

"It's in the mindset of Sony Japan and Europe now, and the US, to think of it as a multi-format offering," says Clark "That's not saying everything's going to be multi-format, but we're able now to consider that data."

What's not yet been determined is how future Yakuza installments will be released. All three PC ports have launched well after their PS4 counterparts, but that's not been the case with all of Sega's Japanese ports and multi-platform launches. Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Shining Resonance Refrain both had simultaneous launches, for instance.

"With those two titles, we now have the ability to evaluate a multi-format simultaneous launch against more of a phased process that we see with Yakuza," says Clark. "That'll be evaluated and the best way to launch titles will result from that."

More Atlas games could be coming, too, but the ball is currently in Atlas's court. Catherine Classic saw the developer's surreal puzzle game come to PC for the first time in January, and it's performed well. Clark hopes it's just the first step.

"Everyone's really pleased with it; we're pleased with it, it's performed well and the audience is happy," he says. "I think for us it was always step one. Let's launch Catherine, which then gives the IP owners and business owners at Atlas—who are in their first foray into the PC market—the ability to evaluate the success and how that can fit in for their future road map. I'm pleased to say they now have that information, so they're able to evaluate it. For us it was a positive experience, and hopefully they'll share that and consider it in their own road map."

Judgement, the Yakuza spin-off, might end up on PC, according to its producer, and Yakuza 6 was also meant to be making an appearance on Steam, though is was due in 2018.

Deflowerer

Arcane
4th is probably my least favorite alongside 1 and 5. RGG Studio really really struggles with writing an overarching story when they have 4-5 protagonists to handle.

I'd be interested in replaying 4 and 5 both as well, particularly the latter. I think my impressions were a bit too clouded by the obviously garbage pacing and plot. Despite being shit narrative wise, 5 does have the best final boss battle in the series though, I admit that. I still watch the fight on Youtube from time to time.

oscar

Arcane
Big sale on steam for the whole series right now. I'm a newcomer to the series and have picked up 0, having a blast.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Gamespot review of Judgment using the expression "uncomfortably debaucherous" unironically. Normie media and their attitudes towards morality swinging from Torquemada to the Marquis de Sade and back again in a single lifetime. What a wild ride.

Misco Jones

Savant
Yakuza Producer Says That Yakuza: Kenzan Could Get A Kiwami Version

At an event in Taipei this past weekend, Yakuza series producer Daisuke Sato celebrated the release of Yakuza 5 in Chinese, which makes every game in the main series playable in some form on the PS4. He answered questions regarding the remasters, and in one answer brought up the possibility of a Yakuza: Kenzan ‘Kiwami’ remake.

Here are the highlights:

Will you continue to release new Kiwami remakes?

Daisuke Sato, producer: “Personally, Yakuza: Kenzan is quite suitable to get a ‘Kiwami’ makeover. Kenzan was the first Yakuza game on the PlayStation 3, and only released in Japan. A lot of Western players mentioned that they want to play this game in English, and Asian players also want the game to release in Chinese. And because Kenzan was an early PS3 game, if it were to receive a simple HD remaster it would feel like it’s missing something, so in my opinion a ‘Kiwami’ version would be better.”

You’ve mentioned that re-negotiating contracts is quite troublesome. Would you consider making games like Kenzan that don’t really require contracts?

Sato: “Because Yakuza: Kenzan! is an early game, the overall appearances of the characters are quite old, and so if we were to create a ‘Kiwami’ version, we could possibly find new actors to contract and swap the models out.”

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/06/...hat-yakuza-kenzan-could-get-a-kiwami-version/

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Seems like Judgement has addressed some problems with the Yakuza combat system with some interesting ideas. I'm playing on Hard and it's not all that hard, but the first boss fight certainly punishes you for just mashing buttons. For one, you can carry less healing items (you can upgrade the capacity with skills but even then it seems to be much lower than in Yakuza) and blades + bullets do aggressive damage that hits your max HP, and this can't be healed with normal healing items, meaning that you can't just eat through all attacks and heal out of them. There are medkits you can use to heal the damage but I didn't try if they work during combat or not. The boss did a combo that if you didn't evade out of felt like it was punishing in a fair way. I couldn't cancel out of combos and the basic attacks that Yagami does are far longer and more elaborate than Kiryu's so it's more of a commitment that you have to watch out for during boss fights. Of course, this is the impression of just the first boss, so things can (and probably will) take a dramatic turn for the easier the further in you get and the more tools you get, but at least so far this is a nice change that I'm fine with. Anything to increase the difficulty and make it less button mashy.

Readher

Savant
She's actually the youngest out of them all yet she looked the most mature to me (well, I guess mommy milkers looked more mature, but only because of her honkers).

https://ryu-ga-gotoku-audition.com/

(You gotta scroll all the way down)

She has the advantage of looking fairly similar to Ichiban's female partner from the online game (she was also present in the April Fool's video). If the heroine is supposed to be the same character, then I think her chances are pretty good.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom