Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Others will probably rate down your post, but it was a good analogy for the post before yours. Nobody gives (or should give) a fuck if they can't play for an hour because the internet is out. That is not the problem with this service. The problem that it probably gives your an inferior gaming experience.

The only access concerns I really have are way down the line, when a company goes under like Atari did and who knows what happens to their DRM/streaming servers. Also corporate control at all times like that can lead to censorship or editing that you can't do anything about. This is more a concern with movies for me, but with games changing music or or whatever sometimes it's also a concern with them as well.

You are missing the point, Stadia is not aimed at PC owners. It's for people who browse the internet on their smartphone, smart tv or low-end laptop. The option to download games would be useless for them. No one would even consider streaming games if they could easily run them on their desktops. So let's say you purchase a game on stadia, and then you immediately download it to your PC in order to prepare yourself for the internet outage. So from now on, what's the point of streaming it?
True, I guess I'm just not the target for this product/service. I'll still try it whenever it comes out where I live, to see how good or not it really is.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Like two nowadays. Look at the most played PC and console games out there, Hearthstone is basically the only thing that breaks into the top 10 on Twitch that isn't real time action, and you can play that on your phone for free. 80% of the market is playing multiplayer FPS and MOBAs.
I think market for no real time games itself may be enough to keep Stadia alive, you can also count in people who don't have an issue with low ping in action games. Google wouldn't greenlight the project when so many failed before trying to do the same, if it didn't see the opportunity and done shitload of market research. It also should work on Linux, so that's a market

Microsoft just announced its xCloud, big players are going in, but it's only a beggining. Began, the cloud gaming wars have.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think market for no real time games itself may be enough to keep Stadia alive
It's not, what will keep Stadia alive is Google's infinite amount of money, assuming they don't just drop it after it's not immediately profitable.
Microsoft just announced its xCloud, big players are going in
The big players are the only ones going in in the first place. The war for cloud dominance is just a war of who can scatter the most amount of data centres over the globe. This leaves the only people capable of competing Microsoft, Amazon and Google (Amazon hasn't made their move, but they likely will soon) or a company who doesn't have many data centres themselves need to pay a company who does. That's why Sony will have their cloud gaming infrastructure on Microsoft Azure, because it's prohibitively expensive to set up their own network.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is more a concern with movies for me, but with games changing music or or whatever sometimes it's also a concern with them as well.
This is a legit concern for me as well. But not just for Stadia, for digital distribution as well. One just has to think about the GOG version of Mafia, which is missing its original soundtrack. Thankfully you can mod it in, but it is still a bummer that they could strip the music away just like that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is a legit concern for me as well. But not just for Stadia, for digital distribution as well. One just has to think about the GOG version of Mafia, which is missing its original soundtrack. Thankfully you can mod it in, but it is still a bummer that they could strip the music away just like that.

It's a concern for both sure, but as long as the game files are "out there" and under your control on your PC it's something that can be fixed. Despite owning it on Steam the next time I play GTA4 it'll be a seven seas version with the original music intact. When we start having streaming exclusives, those games won't have that option. Unless there's some way to get the actual files from a stream that I'm not techy enough to think about.

People who say it will not work are forgetting that Google is there for the long run. People laughed when the first Xbox came out too.
Google is sitting on an unlimited amount of cash. If they are serious about this, the problems will eventually be ironed, the market will adapt, and you are looking at a future where Google becomes a major player in the industry.

No escape.

Like when they were in it for the long term with Boston Dynamics?

Puteo

Learned
Google wouldn't greenlight the project when so many failed before trying to do the same, if it didn't see the opportunity and done shitload of market research.

Google fucking invested in Juicero lol

People need to stop thinking of them as being an untouchable paragon of genius. They're 90s microsoft. They're massively arrogant and don't give a shit about their customers. This looks just as shitty as all the other services and it will be. There is no "google magic" to save it because it doesn't exist.

Google wouldn't greenlight the project when so many failed before trying to do the same, if it didn't see the opportunity and done shitload of market research.

People need to stop thinking of them as being an untouchable paragon of genius. They're 90s microsoft. They're massively arrogant and don't give a shit about their customers. This looks just as shitty as all the other services and it will be. There is no "google magic" to save it because it doesn't exist.

G**gle are possibly the most overrated entity out there at the moment, just behind Musk perhaps. The sooner people get fed up of Google's BS, the sooner we can all just move on with reality. The only very few neat things they've done they've brought into at a late stage with their filthy lucre made from their dirty spam ads business.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Another failed service from Google just like all their products. the good ideas they bought (search ads, youtube, and others), cause they cannot into creativity since their inception.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Today in my country and in several countries in Europe (Russia, Ukraine, Poland), there was a vodka outage. It lasted 1 hour and a half or so. Were I wanting to get shitfaced drunk to forget the sadness of living in a post apocalypse, it would be completely inaccessible to me during that time, and it scares me because I might end up commiting suicide. Yeah, it's just one hour, and these occurences are rare, but still, I don't like facing reality stone cold sober, being completely left out of my zombie state because the production is down doesn't sound all that great to me.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Today in my country and in several countries in Europe (Russia, Ukraine, Poland), there was a vodka outage. It lasted 1 hour and a half or so. Were I wanting to get shitfaced drunk to forget the sadness of living in a post apocalypse, it would be completely inaccessible to me during that time, and it scares me because I might end up commiting suicide. Yeah, it's just one hour, and these occurences are rare, but still, I don't like facing reality stone cold sober, being completely left out of my zombie state because the production is down doesn't sound all that great to me.
Didn't know that French people are big on Vodka. Still you have my condolences,life are lost extreme situations. Happy that you managed to live trough :salute:.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think people hating on Stadia so much are forgetting how many games aren't Real time action.
Like two nowadays. Look at the most played PC and console games out there, Hearthstone is basically the only thing that breaks into the top 10 on Twitch that isn't real time action, and you can play that on your phone for free. 80% of the market is playing multiplayer FPS and MOBAs.

Check again. Teamfight Tactics.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I'll change the statement then... Google, Microsoft, Sony and others wouldn't all be pouring money into this technology if they didn't EXPECT it to take off and be accepted by the mainstream. Now, does that mean they're all right? No, but it does mean a lot of smart people are rolling the dice on it. The dream of complete corporate control and no hardware needed to sell a game (or get a subscription more like) is just too good not to take a chance on. Sadly most consumers have fuck all quality demands as long as something is cheap and convenient, so I think you're being fabulously optimistic expecting it to fail. Take a lot of time to catch on and become the lead? Yes, absolutely. Fail outright? I really doubt it, if the early Stadia hands on reports are true.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Check again. Teamfight Tactics.
Only since yesterday and once the hype dies down it's not gonna be big. Dota Underlords was in the top 10 too for about a day and now it's far further down the list.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
And again: these Autochess style games will be making it standalone to phones as free to play soon enough meaning there's no points for Stadia there since everyone can already play it. Stadia can't do F2P games either since that'd be too unprofitable and volatile.

Puteo

Learned
Sadly most consumers have fuck all quality demands as long as something is cheap and convenient, so I think you're being fabulously optimistic expecting it to fail.

I never said I expected it to fail, just that it will be as similarly shitty as all the other ones.

That said, I do expect it to fail because it offers nothing over its competitors.

PSNow and Xbox whatever have massive brand recognition and all their exclusives.

Geforce now will have the benefit of cheap GPUs which allows them to pass some savings onto the consumer, and they will probably use their expertise to gain efficiencies there as well.

Google offers... Nothing. and they haven't claimed any feature that sets them above the rest, so there's no reason to believe there is one.

This all just reminds me of when Google was on the verge of launching Google Daydream. VR fans were absolutely certain it would be amazing because Google. They thought there would be 6DOF inside-out tracking, a standalone headset, 6DOF controllers, etc, etc. What they got was a $100 Google cardboard and a bluetooth remote.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Google Fiber.
Picasa.
Hangouts.
Glass.

etc.

This will fail. Game streaming is something nobody asked for or needs. Girls are not going to buy controllers to play Candy Crush, and boys don't want something that can't play the latest shooter. It is the dumbest forced product in this ((((x)))) as a service nonsense marketing we are being served.

Solving a problem that doesn't exist, thanks Google.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
This will fail. Game streaming is something nobody asked for or needs.
Delusional. No one asking for something doesn't mean that consumers don't want it. No one "asked" for the Playstation or Xbox, yet today they are two of the three left. If Google is willing to eat the cost of Stadia for long enough until 5G comes into full swing, it could easily be huge. Stadia has plenty of things that are misguided but Google also has infinite money, they could simply input enough money into it until they're number one.
and boys don't want something that can't play the latest shooter
But it CAN play the latest shooter.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Can it play the latest multiplayer FPS for a try-hard wannabe competitive gaymer?

Too much depending on variable latency.

Delusional? No, realistic. There are hardly more expensive setups already out there already, it is not a niche they are creating; rather a late jump on a slow-burning bandwagon that is niche at best.

If I travel, for work or pleasure, I bring my laptop. I never need Stadia on the road - there is Steam/Origin/GOG/no-cd.exe's and a mouse.

I don't expect to ever care enough about an EGS game to get an EGS account, and they are attached to UE which is an engine used by many games I enjoyed in the past. Ditto for any other new service that I need to login to and give a credit card to.

I will not participate in the PC decline into further peasantry. Stadia is just another agent of decline, from the bottomless evil that is Google.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
PSNow and Xbox whatever have massive brand recognition and all their exclusives.

Geforce now will have the benefit of cheap GPUs which allows them to pass some savings onto the consumer, and they will probably use their expertise to gain efficiencies there as well.

Google offers... Nothing.

They offer... assuming it works as well as people said Assassin's Creed did in that beta test... 4k gameplay on anything that can run Chrome. That's something, to my knowledge, none of the others are offering. It's that convenience and ubiquity that I think will sell the idea, so it's an important aspect.

Dexter

Arcane
If I travel, for work or pleasure, I bring my laptop. I never need Stadia on the road - there is Steam/Origin/GOG/no-cd.exe's and a mouse.
The travel thing is utterly retarded. You won't get high-speed Internet on either a plane or a train most of the time, you'll be lucky if you have any at all. While walking around sightseeing or whatever you'll be lucky enough to not accrue high Roaming fees while just using Google Maps and the Internet for a bit. And hotel Wi-Fi is often very poor, most of the time you'll be lucky if you can watch a few YouTube videos properly or Stream some Netflix via Chromecast or similar. Buying a gaming laptop if you think you'll somehow require to play games while you travel abroad seems to be a much more realistic plan than Streaming 4K/60 without latency at 16GB+ per hour even if the actual concept somehow worked in most situations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom