Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a RTS with good sp campaign

v1rus

Arcane
Well, the title. I wanna play classic style RTS game.

Its been a long time since I actively played RTS games, and I did get some itch to do so again. I'm also in it mainly for SP campaign - the requirement is that its a good game, but bonus points for sum storyfaggotry. Also, the newer it is (or rather, the shinier), the better. Im aware of the fact that RTS genre has declined incredibly, and that there are next to none new ones, but still, shiny graphics are a nice bonus. I have nothing against playing games from 90s tho.

Warcraft III and Starcraft are ones i know by heart by now, I also fucking love Warlords Battlecry III, even tho its clunky and unbalanced as hell. I just love the "RPG elements" in terms of a hero you carry over from game to game, and retinue mechanic was great fun. I also enjoyed Battle Realms immensely, not sure why.

I gave Spellforce 1 a try rather recently, but it aged terribly. The quests are bad, the dialogues fucking terrible, voices overdone etc. I didnt make it far (just got the elven stone i think) but actual gameplay didnt seem so hot either. Will beat it one day tho, just not today.

So, TLDR - classic RTS game (no "dropship" shit, i wanna build some bases), with great campaign and gameplay. Good story is a huge plus, shiny gfx a small one. Oh, also, no historical/realistic stuff pls. I get it, i respect it, not in the mood for it.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Homeworld 1 and 2. It doesn't have base building, as you want, but it does have unit generation and fantastic story, soundtrack and voice acting.

v1rus

Arcane
Homeworld 1 and 2. It doesn't have base building, as you want, but it does have unit generation and fantastic story, soundtrack and voice acting.

Played the first one. Enjoyed it very much, never finished it tho. Not what I would consider a "classic"-style RTS, but you got everything rest nailed.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The first two Myth games. You don't build bases in them. Play them anyway.

As for classic base building: have you played the Command & Conquer games?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Dark Reign might be the best pixel era RTS.
Scifi setting, much better UI than Blizzard and Westwood titles of that time.

I would also recommend Rise of Legends, if you can find it anywhere.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Playing DoW right now. Ok start, not challenging on hard yet tho. Wasnt Dark Crusade the pinnacle of DoW tho?
I personally prefer DoW 1/Winter assault, because Dark Crusade has no real campaign and practically no story. Winter Assault is a lot more challenging than DoW 1 and I like it a lot more. Give it a try.

GreyViper

Prophet
Command & Conquer Generals and Zero hour, Earth 2150 to Earth 2160, Antheus Rising, End War & Act of War. Some have better story some have better gameplay, some have even both. What is important is if it's new for you and have fun playing it.

v1rus

Arcane
Not RTS, but takes inspiration from them, both Freedom Force games are ace and have great writing.

Beat the first one.

Lots of great suggestions all around, but lots of them dont fit my current mood, but bring it on!

Almost finished DoW campaign in one day. "Blessed is the mind to small for doubt." Great stuff.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If I reckon correctly, DoW’s single player difficulty settings veer towards easy so Normal will actually decrease the health of enemy units.

Not at all your standard RTS but give Sacrifice a try nonetheless.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As for classic base building: have you played the Command & Conquer games?

Red Alert 2, beat the whole game when I was younger. Worth of a replay? Whole series, or just particular games?

Play the first Red Alert and the full C&C series(leave out 4 of course!). Even the maligned third C&C is pretty good as a SP campaign, and I think a lot of the hate is cause 'muh EA, but EA didn't really start to shit on Westwood legacy until partly Red Alert 3(which I liked, but there was something off about it(maybe the Jap faction)) and of course the cluster fuck of C&C 4.

Earth 2150 as said before. Great campaign with constant juggling of resources....do you build up your force to take over enemy base quickly and take resources before they are depleted, or do you play it safe, saving up your own resources for the long game and build a minimum of units just to hold enemy at bay?

Try the Codename Panzers games. They look and play good. Appear from a distance to be semi-hardcore like Blitzkrieg and Sudden Strike, but are more traditional 'base building' types of RTS.

Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander are pretty dry, but I like the epic, grindy WW1 style of attack/repulse/counter attack style of gameplay and the fact you can usually recover from a setback.

Grey Goo is ok too as a modern RTS. Not the greatest, but Australian/New Zealand accented Aliens are always cool. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom