Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
Interesting that they are going with different start for every origin. Game seems like bigger RPG incline than most of "incline" devs we came to expect from.

Also this made me think about future Expansion to CB2077. Since Night City is defacto where CB setting is and CB2077 will have whole city + surroindings to explore it probably means that unlike TW3 expansions which add new land CB2077 expansions probably will be integrated.

It makes perfect sense for expansions to bring new character origins and updating content + adding exlusive stuff for new character origins so:

Base game: Corpo, Nomad, Streetkid
Expansion1: Cop, Media
Expansion2: Rockerboy, Techie

It would be cool if every origin had their own version of what they consider winning in CB2077. For example for Corpo being at head of some huge corporation etc. though i doubt that.

Specs for the PC that ran the demo at E3:

CPU: Intel i7-8700K @ 3.70 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V, 2x16GB, 3000MHz, CL15
GPU: Titan RTX
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M.2 PCIe
PSU: Corsair SF600 600W

Before anyone will use it as defacto reqs.
Game is well before optimization pass.
That usually happens at last part of developement.

Remember that game is not next gen. It will be released on consoles. So having 10 years old rig is still as good as it was in 2012.
RTX shit will naturally eat up frames for fools who want to have extra colors.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I kind of want to upgrade my 1060 for this game, but I kind of also want to wait and see what the new consoles will do to PC graphics cards. Decisions, decisions...
I'm tempted to give in to the ray-tracing hype and get 2060/wait for 2070 discounts.

Wait for Stadia and play it in 4K/120 FPS on Experimental Ultra on your 100 inch TV
16481.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077s-e3-2019-demo-looks-like-deus-ex-with-an-unlimited-budget/

Cyberpunk 2077's E3 2019 demo looks like Deus Ex with an unlimited budget
What the wider PC Gamer team thought of the Cyberpunk E3 2019 gameplay demo.

Pretty much all of the PC Gamer team on the ground at E3 2019 saw the new behind-closed-doors demo of Cyberpunk 2077. If you want a detailed rundown of everything we saw, check out James's ludicrously comprehensive write-up of the gameplay shown, which will act as a good reference point for what we discuss below. We thought a second opinion on the footage, with a few days to ponder what we saw, might be valuable, though, so below Phil, Tim, and Samuel talk through their take on Cyberpunk 2077's gameplay demo at E3 2019.

Phil: My big E3 hot take is that many of the most exciting games I saw were, in some form or another, Deus Ex. Cyberpunk 2077 was the most Deus Ex of them all. It might be more Deus Ex than any Deus Ex game. Does that make sense? I'm still dealing with jet lag. I am very tired.

Tim: This makes total sense to me because if you'd squinted slightly during the demo, it almost could have been a new Deus Ex you were looking at. Albeit one made with a budget big enough to buy a gun that could shoot the moon out of orbit. I think this year my biggest takeaway was a slight sense of relief that the combat looked more palatable. Not that combat has ever been the biggest reason to play a CD Projekt Red game, but I was pretty worried that Cyberpunk will suffer in comparison to the inexhaustible well of good shooters on PC, purely on the basis of the first-person perspective it's chosen. I'm less worried now, if still not entirely worry-free.

Samuel: This showing of Cyberpunk felt more like a real game to me, and less like magic than the E3 demo did last year. Instead of the populated region of Night City we saw last year, we had an abandoned-looking, half-complete tourists' resort as a backdrop with almost no traffic. The highlight of the demo was CDPR demonstrating the multiple ways (stealthy, shooty) you can tackle a quest set in a big abandoned mall—how you can distract enemies with vending machines, or hack a boxing robot to beat the shit out of an enemy NPC. It's extremely Deus Ex—and I consider this a good thing, because the last two Deus Ex games never approached these kinds of production values.

Phil: Yeah, when people asked what I thought of the demo at the show, my pithy summary was just "It's going to be a videogame". That's hardly piercing analysis, but I genuinely thought last year's demo looked astounding, to the point that it didn't feel like something I'd be able to play for a long, long time. This year Cyberpunk 2077 looked like something that feels realistically achievable in 2020. I can imagine playing this. The approaches CDPR demoed, while varied, were simply detailed, incredibly granular versions of the games I've played before. That might sound disappointing, or that I'm trying to downplay what it'll be, but—assuming they get it right—this has a good chance of being my favourite game of next year. I love RPGs. I love immersive sims. This brings together elements of both in an incredibly high-end package. That it's likely not also redefining what a game can be is a price I'm happy to pay.

Samuel: I felt similarly, that this game fits firmly in the lineage of stealth shooters I've played and enjoyed in the past. And honestly, I would much rather this look like a computer game from this decade than something ethereal and unattainable.

Phil: What did you think about the combat? I know Tim isn't a huge fan of how it looks, but Tim is obsessed with Destiny and you're just not going to get a Bungie-level gunfeel in something so focused on variety of approach. I thought it looked broadly fine, in a similar way to how Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's combat was functional and not at all the main point of the game. Also, the demo showed off some cool weapons. The nanowire, which slices up enemies into so many limbs, looked brutal. And some of the hacking powers you can unleash on enemies are almost ghoulishly gruesome.

Samuel: Ooh, I liked the nanowire. That was a neat-looking novelty weapon that fits the world extremely well. When it comes to guns, it's maybe telling that it didn't make as much of an impression as the stealth gameplay did to me (which, to be fair, is the way I'd want to play), but I'm loathe to get too down on shooting that I haven't even tried yet. I liked that V could rip the gun out of the enemy turret—that's the shit I live for.

Tim: The weird thing with the nanowire for me is it didn't seemed to connect correctly. It kinda flopped out and then a second later the limbs started tumbling. I dunno. Make no mistake, I am pro-nanowire as a position, it just needs tightening up.

Samuel: What did you think of the idea that there will be these sort of 'boss' encounters in Cyberpunk 2077? There's one at the end of this demo, Sasquatch, an enemy with a h the case (and it might just have been specifically for the demo), then yeah, I have some concerns. Certainly the worst moments of Eidos Montreal's Deus Exes were when they tried to fight against the systemic design in favour of scripted set piece moments. But hey, maybe it's not. And, more importantly, that fight was entirely optional. Stealthy players were free to sneak on through, which suggests CDPR aren't going to be precious about you fighting powerful enemies.

Phil: Yeah, there was a bit where the boss started to hack V, which effectively put the fight on a timer. I can't say for sure, but it felt like a scripted moment. If that is the case (and it might just have been specifically for the demo), then yeah, I have some concerns. Certainly the worst moments of Eidos Montreal's Deus Exes were when they tried to fight against the systemic design in favour of scripted setpiece moments. But hey, maybe it's not. And, more importantly, that fight was entirely optional. Stealthy players were free to sneak on through, which suggests CDPR aren't going to be precious about you fighting powerful enemies.

Samuel: That's awesome. I definitely didn't miss that detail because I was tired as hell. As with last year, I was incredibly impressed by the presentation of story—excellent voice actors, fantastic facial animations. Keanu is everywhere in this demo, which follows up on the promise of his arrival on-stage at the Xbox briefing. I also liked the contrast of Pacifica with the area of Night City we saw last year: a skybox of half-completed high-rises with idyllic tourism billboards by the sea gave this a real sense of place. I like how the different factions in Cyberpunk feel like they have their own agendas, with you caught in the middle of them. I like how V gets in a bathtub of ice at the end of the demo to access cyberspace. I liked that ludicrously busy upgrades screen, and the lack of forced classes.

Phil: Keanu saying "Really think they give a rat's dick about how you look?" was definitely a moment.

Samuel: I didn't think much of the CG trailer that was released last week—but this demo is legit. That looks like a fun game, however you approach it, and you can still break through materials in the environment, which I was dubious would stay in from last year's demo (I assume it's only certain surfaces, as it's glass that breaks apart in this demo).

Tim: The other thing I want to note, lest I be cast as the contrarian who just isn't that into the most exciting game in development, is that it definitely feels like they're going to deliver a world you really want to soak in (ice bath notwithstanding). If you think back to when we were being demoed The Witcher 3, it really was a mere snapshot of the eventual scope we received, and I expect the same here.

Phil: Yeah, this was a confident 50-or-so minutes of footage that was packed full of promising details. We've barely even had chance to cover the RPG progression systems, of which there are many. The fact that classes are loosely defined, letting you take abilities from each. The way your reputation unlocks new missions and new software that grants additional combat skills. The way your choices provide specific conversation options tailored to your build, and the suggestion that these could dramatically change how you complete a quest. It was so packed it became quite difficult to follow—the resolution became quite the web of people hacking other people and double-crossing each other. I look forward to picking it apart in detail when it's released to the public at PAX this September. But even more, I look forward to playing it next year. As a Deus Ex fan, Cyberpunk 2077 feels like the most exciting thing on the horizon.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/17/cyberpunk-2077-fly-swim/

Cyberpunk 2077 won’t let you manually fly, but you can swim

When Cyberpunk 2077 was gearing up, the appearance of a job listing to create flying vehicles meant a lot of people assumed you would be able to pilot flying cars. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case.

While there will be a full suite of cars and motorcycles that you can ride, flying vehicles will be left for more scripted sequences. “There are flying vehicles that are like the story elements, and so there will be moments when V is in the flying vehicle, but they’re always story-focused,” lead quest designer Pawel Sasko explained during our E3 interview.

“I would have to spoil you a bit of the story, I don’t want to, but there are moments when you are in the flying vehicle but you cannot drive it yourself over the city. For that you have all kinds of cars, all kinds of motorcycles. It feels pretty good, actually, to be honest.”

There are also a bunch of boats, though these won’t be driveable either. You will be able to swim, however.

“There are boats in the game, definitely, and there are even some story elements focused around the boats – don’t want to spoil the story too much,” Sasko said. “But definitely boats are a part of the game but you cannot drive the boat. You can swim, but I would like not to disclose anything! We had some quests in The Witcher that were focused around water and doing stuff around the water, and we have something here as well.”

Cyberpunk 2077 releases April 16, 2020.

Cyberpunk 2077 will feature multiple endings, and you’ll be able to see the full extended E3 demo at PAX West. The entire game can be finished without killing anyone.

Last edited:

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
Ray tracing is just a gimmick at the moment. It gives a tiny increase in visual fidelity at the cost of tanking your FPS. You'd rather want to use that computing power to increase your FPS or your resolution instead. Hence why even though I personally have a RTX2080 I'm planning on playing Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing off.

Don't get me wrong, ray tracing is the future, but to fully utilize it to its full potential you need 1. a ton of computing resources that at the moment are better spent on doing something else and 2. you need to create the entire game from the ground up with RTX in mind, not as an optional extra. Hence why even though next-gen consoles will have ray tracing capabilities expect it to largely be a marketing gimmick (the true gamechanger with nextgen consoles will be the SSD, the whole 8K 120fps ray tracing crap is just marketing bullshit).

As for Cyberpunk 2077's spec requirements: its difficult to say at the moment, but if your rig runs Witcher 3 without any problems you will probably be fine. Remember that The Witcher 3 already had to be downgraded to work on current-gen consoles and Cyberpunk 2077 has to work on the same consoles. The PC version of Cyberpunk 2077 will probably be the same as the console version except with bigger crowds, higher FPS and resolution possibilites and a gimmicky ray tracing option in the menu that gives a tiny increase in visual fidelity at the cost of tanking your FPS, similar to the way Nvidia Hairworks was a performance-tanking gimmick in The Witcher 3 and übersampling was a performance-tanking gimmick in The Witcher 2.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't buy the Deus Ex comparisons. Based on what they've shown to the public, the game looks nothing like Deus Ex. Not really even Human Revolution or Mankind Divided.

Swimming is nice, though.

tripedal

Savant
I've been going through some of my Cyberpunk 2020 books.

What are you doing?

Just programming.
accurate depiction of my face when trying to fix a bug created 30 years ago by people I've never met

accurate depiction of my face when trying to fix a bug created 6 months ago by myself but I forgot it was my code and then I looked at git-blame

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/17/cyberpunk-2077-vehicles/

You can call your Cyberpunk 2077 vehicles like The Witcher 3’s Roach

Cyberpunk 2077 lets you collect a range of cars and motorcycles and also allows you to take any vehicle you can see in the game. But what happens when you leave your main ride behind?

“The same that happens with Roach,” lead quest designer Pawel Sasko explained during our E3 interview. “So basically, because those cars are equipped with AI, if you call it, you can see the car driving towards you. So you can see when it arrives, basically. You can see as your motorcycle arrives, you can see as your car arrives. So you can just leave it wherever you want, it can go somewhere, just call it, and AI makes it like ‘bzzt!’, he drives by and waits for you.”

Each apartment you own also has a huge garage, allowing you to build up your collection of futuristic whips, earmarking your favourite as your ‘main’ vehicle. CD Projekt is still currently deciding how many cars and bikes the game will have, since they all need to feel different and they all need to feel good – some won’t make the cut.

“We’re still discussing, you know, if you can own all the cars, or some of the cars, because there are a few gameplay things, because the driving model for the cars, it just has to be crisp,” Sasko said. “It’s going to be plenty. And thing is that you can swap those cars, so you can decide ‘okay that’s my main car, that’s my motorcycle that I’m driving with’.”

Cyberpunk 2077 releases April 16, 2020. Cyberpunk 2077 will feature multiple endings, and you’ll be able to see the full extended E3 demo at PAX West. The entire game can be finished without killing anyone.

Arulan

Cipher
Did anyone else refuse to whistle (unless in earshot) for your horse in Kingdom Come: Deliverance?

I suppose it at least makes sense in the setting. Tesla vehicles can pretty much already do this.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Cyberpunk 2077 lets you collect a range of cars and motorcycles...
allows you to take any vehicle you can see in the game.
Each apartment you own also has a huge garage, allowing you to build up your collection...
It’s going to be plenty. And thing is that you can swap those cars, so you can decide okay that’s my main car.

So basically GTA

This game is becoming more of an RPG every day

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer

Being better with particular weapons will unlock special dialogue in gun stores, which will unlock a new weapon of that type... noice!

That’s scaling equipment to your skill level man, that’s decline.

agris: Hey there man. Do. Do you have one of them. Quieters. Keeps the gun quiet. Like a hose. You got a hose? And I'll take a 9m bullet. No just the bullet. 9mm? No. I want the full 9m. I don't go cheap on my firepower man, ha-ha. And gimme one of them binoculars. No not that one you dummy. The one that goes on the gun. Like this. I guess I could put that one on the rifle. If I put the butt in my chest I can look through the binoculars? Ha-ha alright man, 20x zoom. Fucking sick, man.

sullynathan

Arcane
The Yahtzee video is funny because it points out how these choose how you play games are always stealth or shoot and knockout or kill which doesn't mean anything in terms of consequence. These things aren't inherently bad or wrong but, I doubt Cyberpunk 2077 will be an MGSV in terms of gameplay mechanics, interaction and systems so it will be a pretty but useless open world filled with linear quests.

Dexter

Arcane
I have a feeling that a lot of people hoping for some sort of in-depth "RPG masterpiece" instead of a GTA-like with handlers and missions are going to be very disappointed around Launch around here.

Regarding Expansions, I never really understood why more "Open World" game companies don't do this. RockStar tried with "Episodes from Liberty City", but a game such as this if well received would be very suitable for telling 2-3 more "stories" of different characters and classes, whether that's a Judge Dredd-like Cop/Law Enforcer having to deal with the dregs of Night City, a Corpo having to set up deals and navigate a world of corporate intrigue and politics to come out alive and on top or a Cyberhacker/Trauma Team member with a lot of fitting missions and a mini-campaign around the respective job or whatever else with their own (shorter) content. They could even overlap the main campaign so there'd be opportunities for Player character Cameos and dead/otherwise dealt with popular characters reappearing.

It's pretty stupid not to do it at the very least until people are bored of it, after you've spent the better part of a decade developing a hopefully believable "Open World" with micro-details, polishing up your engine to display all that, all the required gameplay systems around shooting/driving/hacking and whatnot, UI/skill systems and everything required. You've got major characters and locations down, a lot of assets modeled, a cast of actors that you could reuse in different contexts and you could develop new gameplay systems, characters and storylines as required for the specific campaigns which would be a lot easier than starting anew. Instead you're just going to throw it out into the world once after a lot of hype, maybe release an Expansion with a few additional missions and start anew with an entirely different game right away, throwing all of that high-detail content and all the work done on the hub, world and characterization for a decade away?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom